Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GoldfishStew
Feb 25, 2017

ASK ME ABOUT BEING A GROWNUP WHO FUCKS A REAL DOLL
Why wouldn't they? I signed a contract, number one. And number two, that's part of what "grandfathered' implies to me. What's the point of having a grandfathered contract if they're like, "Oh yeah, you're grandfathered in, your plan just goes up $300 dollars every year. You can leave without an ETF tho!" That's slimy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

plester1
Jul 9, 2004

ohgodwhat posted:

Why would they let you keep your plan forever at the same price you signed up for originally?

T-Mobile guarantees that they won't increase the price on your plan as long as you're a customer in good standing. Sounds like that's not true across the industry.

CascadeBeta
Feb 14, 2009

by Cyrano4747
The women at the T-Mobile store said my phone wasn't in a "workable state" and thus my phone wouldn't be eligible for a trade in or paying off the remainder of my contract, so I guess I'm waiting until I pay off this phone to switch. :v:

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.

ohgodwhat posted:

Why would they let you keep your plan forever at the same price you signed up for originally?

That has been the rule in the industry for a long time. Though rules are broken.

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal
Has anyone added a free line to a simple choice plan? I can't seem to find it online you just get stuck in an catch 22 webpage loop.

Meydey
Dec 31, 2005

Elephanthead posted:

Has anyone added a free line to a simple choice plan? I can't seem to find it online you just get stuck in an catch 22 webpage loop.

I went in on Friday and added a data line to my Simple Choice. Now have 4 4gb lines, 1 no data line (inlaws) and 1 4gb data line. Just had to pay $20 for a sim.
Also, purchased a used ZTE 915 hotspot off Ebay for $38. Hello wifi in the car.

The guy I went in with is now up to 11 lines one his One plan with 3 being free. There has been a lot of Papa Johns in the office lately.

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal
Thanks, gonna hit up t mobile fer a $20 sim card today.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

When does this free third line deal end?

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SeANMcBAY posted:

I think it just says limited time only, so :shrug: as to when it actually ends. I'd guess at least a month maybe?

hotsauce
Jan 14, 2007

SeANMcBAY posted:

Close of business today according to Reddit.

ohgodwhat
Aug 6, 2005

Yesterday, I walked into a store and got $60/month taken off my bill + an extra line. Today, my phone is asking me to sign into tmobile, where it tells me my plan doesn't support data. FFS

sweart gliwere
Jul 5, 2005

better to die an evil wizard,
than to live as a grand one.
Pillbug

ohgodwhat posted:

Yesterday, I walked into a store and got $60/month taken off my bill + an extra line. Today, my phone is asking me to sign into tmobile, where it tells me my plan doesn't support data. FFS

Just a guess, but this happened to me once when switching phones (apparently some SIM pushpin ejector triggers are deeper than others). Have you made sure there aren't any old SIMs still inside devices?

sweart gliwere fucked around with this message at 23:06 on Mar 5, 2017

ohgodwhat
Aug 6, 2005

I didn't make any physical changes - I did get a new SIM card but it's for the new line. Otherwise, nothing changed...

I went into the store and they said they fixed the account, but it's still broken. Yay.

nerve
Jan 2, 2011

SKA SUCKS

ohgodwhat posted:

This happened to me and all I had to do was call support and they did something on their end, I restarted my phone and it worked.

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

hotsauce posted:

Close of business today according to Reddit.

It's not on their home page now, so yep. Man, that was fast.

MycroftXXX
May 10, 2006

A Liquor Never Brewed
Is that credit for using less than 2 gigs of data still available? I need to switch over to the new plan and save on taxes and fees.

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

I'm sure this is old news to those in this thread, but for a new T-mobile customer, this is pretty cool. My reception is great everywhere except my house. Even though I had Wifi calling with Project Fi, for some reason, it wasn't working very well at all with T-Mobile. I found out that T-Mobile will give you either a new router or a 4G LTE Cellspot for just a $25 deposit to help fix the problem. All I had to do was go to the store and pick one up, no hassles whatsoever. Since I already have a pretty decent router, I chose the 4G Cellspot.

When I got home, it took the full 2 hours for it to set up, but ever since then, I've got full bars all over the house, and calls sound much better than they did before. While it would be nice to have full coverage without it, I realize I live in the sticks, and I'd hate to give up the deal I have because we couldn't use the phone at home.

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?
One thing to note with that cell spot is that any internet or voice activity you use on your phone is actually utilizing your home internet connection and anyone within 3000 feet of your house will also now be using your cell spot as their cell phone tower because it will be the strongest signal in the area so if you have data caps that really sucks.

I learned that the hard way in an apartment when my internet usage shot up like crazy as soon as I started using the cell spot.

I called t mobile and spoke with a tech (not the first level tech guys) to try to find a way to limit the cell spot to only working with my phone's imei but they said there was no way.

hotsauce
Jan 14, 2007

GutBomb posted:

I called t mobile and spoke with a tech (not the first level tech guys) to try to find a way to limit the cell spot to only working with my phone's imei but they said there was no way.

Is there a way to restrict wireless access to only the MAC address of your phone? Most routers have that feature, but not sure about the cell spot. I seem to remember it being a pretty powerful Asus router, but probably crippled T-Mo firmware.

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?

hotsauce posted:

Is there a way to restrict wireless access to only the MAC address of your phone? Most routers have that feature, but not sure about the cell spot. I seem to remember it being a pretty powerful Asus router, but probably crippled T-Mo firmware.

That's what I asked the tech about and they said there was no way. The consumer has no way to log in to do that sort of thing and they don't offer for their techs to do it either.

Pissingintowind
Jul 27, 2006
Better than shitting into a fan.
3 ONE lines for $100 promo was only available through last Sunday, apparently.

Wish they had made that more transparent. Would have saved a wasted trip to the T-Mobile store. Also I would have taken the time to change my plan last weekend...

MycroftXXX
May 10, 2006

A Liquor Never Brewed

Pissingintowind posted:

3 ONE lines for $100 promo was only available through last Sunday, apparently.

Wish they had made that more transparent. Would have saved a wasted trip to the T-Mobile store. Also I would have taken the time to change my plan last weekend...

Yeah, I spoke to a t-mobile rep on the phone yesterday. It's an extra $20 to add another line now which still isn't terrible.

Pissingintowind
Jul 27, 2006
Better than shitting into a fan.

MycroftXXX posted:

Yeah, I spoke to a t-mobile rep on the phone yesterday. It's an extra $20 to add another line now which still isn't terrible.

Yeah, but I'm coming from Harbor Mobile's T-Mobile business plan, which was $33 per line when it was still available. Only reason I wanted to switch was to stop going through a third party. Now it no longer makes sense for me to do so :cry:

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

Alright, so what's the best deal these days for switching to t-mobile? I'm out of contract with ATT, and I just got my unlock verification for my iphone. I'm paying $90/month now for the grandfathered unlimited data plan. They raised it $10 over the last two years. That price is with a 20% FAN discount, too.

From what I understand t-mobile does 15% discount for veterans.

I don't necessarily need unlimited data. Definitely need unlimited text. I looked over my previous usage and I seem to hit about 3-5gb/month. That's with a lot of spotify streaming though, something I can easily cut back on. It would be nice to have the option to tether.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

TMO doesn't do any postpaid plans except unlimited at $70 now. If you don't need much more than 100 minutes per month, you can do the nerd plan which is $30/no prepaid for 5GB full speed data, unlimited text, and 100 minutes voice. VoIP apps (GVoice, Messenger, etc) don't count against it at least.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

GutBomb posted:

That's what I asked the tech about and they said there was no way. The consumer has no way to log in to do that sort of thing and they don't offer for their techs to do it either.

That's weird, both the ATT and Verizon version def has that ability.

goku chewbacca
Dec 14, 2002

Nostalgia4Dogges posted:

Alright, so what's the best deal these days for switching to t-mobile? I'm out of contract with ATT, and I just got my unlock verification for my iphone. I'm paying $90/month now for the grandfathered unlimited data plan. They raised it $10 over the last two years. That price is with a 20% FAN discount, too.

I don't necessarily need unlimited data. Definitely need unlimited text. I looked over my previous usage and I seem to hit about 3-5gb/month. That's with a lot of spotify streaming though, something I can easily cut back on. It would be nice to have the option to tether.

T-Mobile One is the only plan they're now offering. They recently started including features from One Plus (+$5/month) for free, including 10 GB hotspot and unlimited HD video streaming. There's also an opt-in feature called Kick Back, that credits you back $10 per line that stays under 2GB.

Go in to a store and ask some of the salespeople for their "Hookup" discount. It's a 20% discount off all line charges "for the life of your plan," which means it isn't tied to that referring salesperson's employment with T-Mobile. It's an unadvertised promotion T-Mobile is offering to their salespeople, giving them five referrals each to share. It's probably for them to bring in their friends and family, or to entice off-the-street customers.

I just signed up for a five line family plan for $144 tax inclusive ($180 retail price), or $28.80 per line. Note: their advertised rates include an autopay discount. It's +$5 per line without autopay-- pretty sneaky. One plans are now "All In," or taxes and fees included.

Finally, despite CEO John Leger's fiery rhetoric about those "ridiculous" and "bullshit" activation fees that those other carriers charge, T-Mobile is instead tacking on a $25 SIM card charge to all new line activations and phone installment plan purchases/upgrades. But it's an equipment charge and definitely not an activation fee that their website and salespeople insist they don't charge. For what it's worth, I was able to get my $132.50 in SIM card charges fully covered by a combination of instant discounts and a bill credit.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Nostalgia4Dogges posted:

You're me last month. Look at the T-Mobile One plan and find a sales associate with a hookup code. It'll be $56/month for unlimited everything.

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

goku chewbacca posted:

T-Mobile One is the only plan they're now offering. They recently started including features from One Plus (+$5/month) for free, including 10 GB hotspot and unlimited HD video streaming. There's also an opt-in feature called Kick Back, that credits you back $10 per line that stays under 2GB.

Go in to a store and ask some of the salespeople for their "Hookup" discount. It's a 20% discount off all line charges "for the life of your plan," which means it isn't tied to that referring salesperson's employment with T-Mobile. It's an unadvertised promotion T-Mobile is offering to their salespeople, giving them five referrals each to share. It's probably for them to bring in their friends and family, or to entice off-the-street customers.

I just signed up for a five line family plan for $144 tax inclusive ($180 retail price), or $28.80 per line. Note: their advertised rates include an autopay discount. It's +$5 per line without autopay-- pretty sneaky. One plans are now "All In," or taxes and fees included.

Finally, despite CEO John Leger's fiery rhetoric about those "ridiculous" and "bullshit" activation fees that those other carriers charge, T-Mobile is instead tacking on a $25 SIM card charge to all new line activations and phone installment plan purchases/upgrades. But it's an equipment charge and definitely not an activation fee that their website and salespeople insist they don't charge. For what it's worth, I was able to get my $132.50 in SIM card charges fully covered by a combination of instant discounts and a bill credit.

I just ordered my SIMs over the phone, and they were 99 cents each shipped.

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real

goku chewbacca posted:

There's also an opt-in feature called Kick Back, that credits you back $10 per line that stays under 2GB.

It is actually $10 if you use 1.9GB? Everything says "up to $10", which implies that it's prorated. Like if you use 1.5GB you'll get $2.50. Customer Service was unable to explain it to me, and I've yet to get a bill with the kickback on it.

datajosh
May 3, 2002

I had the realization these aren't my problem!

Astro7x posted:

It is actually $10 if you use 1.9GB? Everything says "up to $10", which implies that it's prorated. Like if you use 1.5GB you'll get $2.50. Customer Service was unable to explain it to me, and I've yet to get a bill with the kickback on it.
It is. It's worded as "up to $10" because you won't get a credit worth more than you're paying for the line itself.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

I got a t-mobile sim card to test out their network before potentially switching.

The download speeds are great, but a few different speed test apps show me getting like .01mbps upload. It will actually be 0mbps for 3/4 of the time it's downloading and then jump up to maybe .5mbps to finish it out.

Anyone know what's up with that?

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real

datajosh posted:

It is. It's worded as "up to $10" because you won't get a credit worth more than you're paying for the line itself.

Ah, interesting. Yeah, I heard that I couldn't get the kickback on the free line deal. I was wondering what is stopping people from getting a "Free" 3rd line, not using it, and then getting $10 off per month from just letting the line sit there not being used.

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

Astro7x posted:

Ah, interesting. Yeah, I heard that I couldn't get the kickback on the free line deal. I was wondering what is stopping people from getting a "Free" 3rd line, not using it, and then getting $10 off per month from just letting the line sit there not being used.

I'll be doing exactly this for now, but I don't expect any kickback from that line.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Thanks for the replies. I'll check out the t-mobile one plan, does that include tethering?

What incentive for they have to give a chump like me the 20% off? A sale? Just seems a bit forward/rude if I've never met the person. "Yo brother how about that 20% off and free warranty"

I've been with ATT for like 10 years so I'm a bit clueless on all this. I can just walk into a t-mobile, transfer my number, get a sim card, and be on my way right? Then I can cancel ATT after the fact?

Also does anyone know if I have to restore my phone to officially unlock it or will a new SIM and restart do it?

Thanks!!!

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Yes it includes tethering. The 20% is an offer (T-Mobile Hookup) they have until the end of March I believe and it's for starting a new device and porting your phone number. Each sales associate gets a code they can use 5 times so yeah it really comes down to asking someone for the code when you're talking to them about switching over.

Also with AT&T if you're already outside the contract the line will automatically get cancelled once you port the number out. The phone being unlocked depends on where you got it. If it's from ATT you'll need to unlock it first BEFORE porting / cancelling. If it's retail or from Apple it should already be unlocked.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.
If we are already on tmobile, could we transfer a google voice line, then do a transfer of liability of our other numbers to the account?

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

I don't know about the transfer part but the number I ported in was from google voice and that caused no issues. You need to unlock the phone number on google voice (it's $3 one time fee) then go about the transfer as usual. The service account if your number and the rest of the information if your google information. There is no passcode/password for the unlock process (they'll ask for one).

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

I don't know about the transfer part but the number I ported in was from google voice and that caused no issues. You need to unlock the phone number on google voice (it's $3 one time fee) then go about the transfer as usual. The service account if your number and the rest of the information if your google information. There is no passcode/password for the unlock process (they'll ask for one).

thanks, yea its already unlocked when i did a free phone from verizon port but the number never ported. Guess ill have to ask an employee if her iphone 7 credits carry over.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Yes it includes tethering. The 20% is an offer (T-Mobile Hookup) they have until the end of March I believe and it's for starting a new device and porting your phone number. Each sales associate gets a code they can use 5 times so yeah it really comes down to asking someone for the code when you're talking to them about switching over.

Also with AT&T if you're already outside the contract the line will automatically get cancelled once you port the number out. The phone being unlocked depends on where you got it. If it's from ATT you'll need to unlock it first BEFORE porting / cancelling. If it's retail or from Apple it should already be unlocked.

Thanks, gonna check out the local one today.

I got the ATT unlock email verification, everything I'm reading online says you don't have to backup/erase/restore the phone anymore to trigger the unlock/activation. Guess I'll find out.

See if I can schmooze a code. Hope they're all not gone by now. If any goons work there and can hook up a code then holla. I'll get you an AV or something nice and some kisses. Was curious if all else fails and checked ebay and I guess people are selling them for $30 lol. Guess it's worth it in the long run

Nostalgia4Dogges fucked around with this message at 14:04 on Mar 19, 2017