Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
Enourmo - hey, I've had that exact problem! I fixed it with new springs though. Went to swap a new axle into my MJ last spring and discovered that one coilspring was in 3 pieces and the other was in 2, perched precariously as shown in your picture but without hoseclamps. I have no idea how it didn't collapse.

In actual mechanical failures and design wins -
It turns out car thieves sometimes actually prefer cars with The Club, it gives you enough leverage to just twist the wheel and rip the steering wheel lock off, then you hacksaw the club. Problem solved.

Subaru came up with a way to prevent this. I found out the hard way while trying to turn the steering wheel in one at the junkyard so I could get a wrench on the pinch bolts to remove the steering intermediate shaft. It didn't have keys in it, so I figured I'd snap the pin off and grabbed the wheel and wrenched on it as hard as I could. It felt like it was giving a bit, so I really put my back into it and the goddamn steering wheel came off in my hands. Subaru puts a V-groove in the steering column shaft between the steering wheel and steering wheel lock plate as an intentional stress riser, so if someone tries to break the lock plate by doing this, they end up with a steering wheel free car, which sucks for you but is less of a loss than having your car stolen I guess.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin
Pretty sure these are supposed to be bolted on the other way around?

Pomp and Circumcized
Dec 23, 2006

If there's one thing I love more than GruntKilla420, it's the Queen! Also bacon.

Memento posted:

But then the bolt would be able to fall all the way out!!

Captain Snaps
Jul 27, 2003

Maintol!

Memento posted:

They probably had JUST enough room to get it started, and used the threads to force it into position, galling the poo poo out of them, and making for an even more fun time getting a rusted nut off of it. A little spatial recognition goes a long way to preventing headaches.

Frank Dillinger
May 16, 2007
Jawohl mein herr!
Current (personal) fleet sits at 23 cylinders over 3 cars. BMW 850Ci, Audi Urs4, Datsun 240Z. I've never owned a car where everything works or obd2 is a thing.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

dor1
Jun 5, 2011

I'm pretty sure that's not supposed to happen.

And that hydraulic hoses shouldn''t bend like that.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

dor1 posted:

God

drat

>10 tons, or something hit it at the wrong angle? Either way, no, that's not supposed to happen!

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Are you tellin me you guys don't just drive off the jack stands?

ain't nobody got time to get the jack and lift the car and release the jackstands and yadda yadda yadda

Pomp and Circumcized
Dec 23, 2006

If there's one thing I love more than GruntKilla420, it's the Queen! Also bacon.

Memento posted:

God

drat

>10 tons, or something hit it at the wrong angle? Either way, no, that's not supposed to happen!

Sometimes, companies sell jack stands as sets, and quote "10 tons" per set. Rather than 10 tons per stand. Which is pretty shady.

dor1 posted:

And that hydraulic hoses shouldn''t bend like that.

I'm used to working on "minimum bending radius = 6 x tube diameter" for hard lines. Is that not correct?

Pomp and Circumcized fucked around with this message at 02:00 on Mar 5, 2017

honda whisperer
Mar 29, 2009

It's the soft line behind it...

Edit: no kink shaming

PhotoKirk
Jul 2, 2007

insert witty text here

dor1 posted:

THAT is nightmare fuel. I had a Kia jack start to split while I was changing a flat and I think I beat NASCAR pit crew times getting the spare on the hub.

Turbo Fondant
Oct 25, 2010

Memento posted:

God

drat

My money's on wrong angle. Usually when overloaded straight on the eyes that locate the pin/pawl tear out the back.

dor1
Jun 5, 2011

Pomp and Circumcized posted:

Sometimes, companies sell jack stands as sets, and quote "10 tons" per set. Rather than 10 tons per stand. Which is pretty shady.

I'm used to working on "minimum bending radius = 6 x tube diameter" for hard lines. Is that not correct?
Not really sure on that one, often we define the minimum radius as "if you can bend it by hand, it's fine". But it also depends on how high it's rated, 400bar hoses will bend less than 250 bar ones.

RE: jackstand.
We lifted the crane using the hydraulic rams on it, removed the wheel and placed the stand under hub, switched out the hydraulic cylinder/shock absorber, and the wheel put back on, but the problem was that the stand was placed in such a way that it was too close to the wheel, and when the wheel was back on (which was an absolute pain, no wonder) the tire made contact with the stand, and so when we dropped the crane back down, poo poo happened and the stand was hosed.

The weight should really only have been 8 tons max.

dor1 fucked around with this message at 15:22 on Mar 5, 2017

ihop
Jul 23, 2001
King of the Mexicans
That's what happens when you use a beta build, obviously they haven't worked all the kinks out yet.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!

dor1 posted:

Not really sure on that one, often we define the minimum radius as "if you can bend it by hand, it's fine". But it also depends on how high it's rated, 400bar hoses will bend less than 250 bar ones.

I think they're talking about the part of the hose after the hardline....

Friar Zucchini
Aug 6, 2010

Milling machines are super precise right guys

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xY-wXcFhx5w

nmfree
Aug 15, 2001

The Greater Goon: Breaking Hearts and Chains since 2006

Friar Zucchini posted:

Milling machines are super precise right guys

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xY-wXcFhx5w
I wish we had an emoticon that combined :v: and :stare:

vvv Yeah, I kind of thought about :stonklol:, but it wasn't laughing enough

nmfree fucked around with this message at 05:52 on Mar 6, 2017

Fermented Tinal
Aug 25, 2005

by Pragmatica
:stonk: is kinda close.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I would have paid way more attention in school if my teachers had all been canadian.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

Gotta piss with the cock ya got! Haha.. Holy crap that was some terrible wobbling going on with that bit.

I do find it sort of humorous that to build his lovely fake mill, he had to use his real mill.

nmfree
Aug 15, 2001

The Greater Goon: Breaking Hearts and Chains since 2006

xzzy posted:

I would have paid way more attention in school if my teachers had all been canadian.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5FEW5mh7iAI

B4Ctom1
Oct 5, 2003

OVERWORKED COCK
Slippery Tilde

Sagebrush posted:

The last two pages have been, without question, the most boring pages of this entire thread.

Next up: everybody post about the dream you had last night and what your PC specs are.

Jump starting with AK-47's and their cleaning rods
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1UBSFFy_xGs

Anagram of GINGER
Oct 3, 2014

by Smythe

nmfree posted:

I wish we had an emoticon that combined :v: and :stare:

vvv Yeah, I kind of thought about :stonklol:, but it wasn't laughing enough

how about

wait no that sucks hold on

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

poo poo

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

I'll set the building on fire
So this company makes lower control arms for the brz/frs. They look like this

Fine, right? Except they did a version with poly bushing at the front, which sits on that vertical pin. OEMs do a bushing like that, where bushings flex with control arm movement instead of rotate, but it's always a soft and flat part that can articulate easily. But these guys decided to put a stiff bushing on a rod end, so this happened to some guy driving down the highway within a few months of having the arms installed

Bent wheel, ripped off bumper cover. Guy is lucky it wasn't way worse.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
Something something 100% classic beach marks

mekilljoydammit
Jan 28, 2016

Me have motors that scream to 10,000rpm. Me have more cars than Pick and Pull

jamal posted:

Fine, right? Except they did a version with poly bushing at the front, which sits on that vertical pin. OEMs do a bushing like that, where bushings flex with control arm movement instead of rotate, but it's always a soft and flat part that can articulate easily. But these guys decided to put a stiff bushing on a rod end, so this happened to some guy driving down the highway within a few months of having the arms installed

... jesus, it's almost like companies selling suspension poo poo like that should actually hire engineers...

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

jamal posted:

where bushings flex with control arm movement instead of rotate, but it's always a soft and flat part that can articulate easily. But these guys decided to put a stiff bushing on a rod end

Stiffer suspension is always better suspension!

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
Wow, amateur hour applies to Subaru aftermarket suspension too, not just Jeep aftermarket suspension.

These motherfuckers need to knock it the hell off before their shoddy garbage suspension "upgrades" kill a busload of nuns and the police use it as an excuse to crack down on modified cars - again. This kind of poo poo is literally why my state's auto laws allow police to impound people's poo poo for aftermarket suspension upgrades if they decide they feel like it.

Anagram of GINGER
Oct 3, 2014

by Smythe

jamal posted:

So this company makes lower control arms for the brz/frs. They look like this

Bent wheel, ripped off bumper cover. Guy is lucky it wasn't way worse.

Are they marketed as off-road only

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

I'll set the building on fire
In the US I'm not sure how much that matters.

But here is the thread about it. Manufacturer response is pretty useless

http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=116200

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Wow, they are really trying to spin that.

What kind of idiot puts a hard bushing in something like that and expects this to not happen? Seriously.

Anagram of GINGER
Oct 3, 2014

by Smythe
That's a very dinky connection for that. I've had polyeurethane control arms but the construction was square steel all the way around the bushing. I'm guessing their design was influenced by clearance issues? Otherwise that's an incredibly shoddy way to save on materials.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
That is going to get picked up by Jalopnik within a week and they're going to get rocked.

Crustashio
Jul 27, 2000

ruh roh
:allears:

I love how fatigue does a nice job of polishing metal.

Elsa posted:

That's a very dinky connection for that. I've had polyeurethane control arms but the construction was square steel all the way around the bushing. I'm guessing their design was influenced by clearance issues? Otherwise that's an incredibly shoddy way to save on materials.

It's a common way to do adjustable control arms for race cars. But those use nothing but heim joints. The way that was designed the rod was likely subjected to cyclic full reverse bending and predictably failed because the cross sectional area is tiny and the arm is long. Heim jointed arms (that don't bind) can only take forces in tension or compression and generally you can get away with much smaller area.

This is an example of a company copying something they see without understanding the design principles. That failure is due to a complete lack of understanding how the suspension works. It's even worse that they claim it's a manufacturing problem.

Crustashio fucked around with this message at 04:04 on Mar 10, 2017

Anagram of GINGER
Oct 3, 2014

by Smythe

Okay yeah if there are no clearance issues they should have beefed up that whole piece and left the adjustment to a fat grade 10 bolt or something.

Anagram of GINGER
Oct 3, 2014

by Smythe
and lol at the brand name Rrrrracer Xxxxx

Xtreem

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
I'd love to know why no one has called them out.

Anagram of GINGER
Oct 3, 2014

by Smythe
According to some quick google research, I was wrong for saying grade 10. Grade 8 SAE is roughly equivalent to Metric 10.9, and in automotive applications it might be better to use SAE grade 5 for its ability to bend without shearing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

jamal posted:

In the US I'm not sure how much that matters.

But here is the thread about it. Manufacturer response is pretty useless

http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=116200

Uhm, holy gently caress. This guy is letting them get away with not paying for the damage because of their "contract?" Jesus loving Christ, that company should be so happy that the failure didn't take out a bus full of kids leading to a massive suit and criminal charges that he pays for loving everything without question.
He loving admits it was likely a manufacturing defect, which almost certainly gets him over the hurdle for civil court.
Jesus christ, everyone involved should be talking to lawyers. Not 100% knowing the facts, I bet any laeyer advises him to recall evrrything, pay labor to replace, and pay all this dude's bills. That is how you avoid both a bigger lawsuit and a social media blowup. Also dude's insurance company is going to go after the part company anyhow.

I'm half tempted to register there, but effort.

nm fucked around with this message at 06:20 on Mar 10, 2017