Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

frozenphil
Mar 13, 2003

YOU CANNOT MAKE A MISTAKE SO BIG THAT 80 GRIT CAN'T FIX IT!
:smug:

Buhbuhj posted:

I would probably enjoy your warranty for a little while. Also twin turbo setup instead.

This is the correct answer.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pku3dLg-zZ4

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

H2SO4
Sep 11, 2001

put your money in a log cabin

Buglord
:ohdear:

:getin:

Also, gently caress the front grille inserts with the fury of a thousand suns. I'm close to just cutting the drat tabs on the OEM grilles so I can swap them out.

H2SO4 fucked around with this message at 04:54 on Mar 5, 2017

GabbiLB
Jul 14, 2004

~toot~
Good job. I am waiting for some warm weather so I can do things also. Winter sucks.

fps_bill
Apr 6, 2012

I want to eventually get one of ford's power packs, but to keep my warranty I have to have it dealership installed. After taking my ST in for an oilchange I don't trust those jackoffs. I wanted full synthetic, they put in blend and had oil spilled all over the engine cover.

kalvick
Jun 5, 2001

fps_bill posted:

I want to eventually get one of ford's power packs, but to keep my warranty I have to have it dealership installed. After taking my ST in for an oilchange I don't trust those jackoffs. I wanted full synthetic, they put in blend and had oil spilled all over the engine cover.

Any modification you do voids that part of the cars warranty. if you add aftermarket exhaust, you void the warranty on the exhaust, not the whole car.
If the engine grenades, the dealer can say your exhaust is the reason for it, but they have to be able to prove it to deny the work.
this scenario would be hard to prove.

If you had a computer update to tell the engine to have more power, and the engine breaks, then it would be easy to say that the computer management broke the engine.

You get a standard warranty on the car, bumper to bumper for 36,000 miles or 3 years
If you get a modification from the dealer and its installed by them. you have a separate warranty for that part.
the two warranties do not combine.

Also a dealer does not have to install the part to maintain the warranty. the part you buy is already warrantied. Any mechanic can install the part. the dealer says they have to do it, is a lie. I would go to a professional speed shop. they have experience installing parts, and a good speed shop mechanic will tell you of any other accessory parts you should install to prevent a failure. Most reputable speed shop mechanics will warranty their work as well. they do not need negative reviews about a blown part. they will make sure they will install quality parts and install them correctly.

This explains it a little better.
http://lehtoslaw.com/will-modifications-void-new-car-warranty/

fps_bill
Apr 6, 2012

So pretty much if I install their parts and their tune they can't say their parts were the reason my engine grenades. But if I use another company's stuff I may be hosed.

kalvick
Jun 5, 2001

fps_bill posted:

So pretty much if I install their parts and their tune they can't say their parts were the reason my engine grenades. But if I use another company's stuff I may be hosed.

The dealer would have a harder time saying anything if they tried to deny warranty work on ford parts they install. but they can deny it.
remember the car is under warranty, the mods are under its warranty. the warranty says both items are replaceable under manufacturer defects.
not because a part you installed exceeded the capability of another part. Its that small grey area in between the 2 warranties that can get you in trouble.

If you get the parts installed with another company, the same rules apply. you just have two dealers to deal with instead of one. you will have a lot of 2 way calls to get a problem corrected.

what exactly is the powerpack you want to get?

fps_bill
Apr 6, 2012

https://performanceparts.ford.com/part/M-9452-M8

It'd be a down the road thing. The mods I had on my ST were easy enough to revert to stock if I ever had the need to. That intake manifold not so much.

kalvick
Jun 5, 2001

fps_bill posted:

https://performanceparts.ford.com/part/M-9452-M8

It'd be a down the road thing. The mods I had on my ST were easy enough to revert to stock if I ever had the need to. That intake manifold not so much.

powerpack 1 or 2 is extremely common. I have not heard of anyone have warranty issues with an air filter. the computer update is just to tell the car computer you have a bigger filter and to compensate for it. its not doing anything else.

I would buy stage 2 this year as its under $1000 and you can install it yourself. next year you can spend another $1000 and do the manifold, if you feel you still need to do it.

fps_bill
Apr 6, 2012

F it I might just get the steeda intake and the tuner they sell. Or the gt350 intake, and a different tuner.

The insurance adjuster is here writing up my car. He said they're gonna have to paint everything except the rear bumper. I guess If I wanted to get stripes painted on now would be the time to do it.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.
On the current GT performance packages, anyone know what brake pads they use on the Brembos up front? Because they are dusty as gently caress, waaay dustier than the rears. I'm guessing it's just graphite but there's enough of it that I'm thinking of swapping in some ceramics.

H2SO4
Sep 11, 2001

Buglord
Here's the finished product.

bonus daytime shot

BrownieVK
Nov 10, 2009

Eat my ass

H2SO4 posted:

Here's the finished product.

Looking good! Those grilles were the worst for me too. I just cut all of the grille tabs off. I think you are in one of the Facebook Ecoboost pages, I've seen that second picture haha.
These cars are really fun to work on for the most part. So much room in the engine bay with half a motor haha.

H2SO4
Sep 11, 2001

Buglord

BrownieVK posted:

Looking good! Those grilles were the worst for me too. I just cut all of the grille tabs off. I think you are in one of the Facebook Ecoboost pages, I've seen that second picture haha.
These cars are really fun to work on for the most part. So much room in the engine bay with half a motor haha.

Yeah, I'm on the Tune+ page too, I just sent in my initial datalogs to get this thing dialed in.

GabbiLB
Jul 14, 2004

~toot~
If you are going through Adam I really recommend getting the upgraded wastegate. The way the boost hits with it is a lot more fun and also if you have intake you can hear the wastegate open at 10psi which is novel but also kind of useful???

edit: Also ditch the stock bpv. I switched to HKS but you can do whatever. It gets rid of the super annoying surging and if you switch to cold side you might even get slighty better response out of it.

GabbiLB fucked around with this message at 02:50 on Mar 7, 2017

fps_bill
Apr 6, 2012

What width stripes do you guys think I should get? The day I get my car from the body shop I'm taking it straight to a clear bra place for full front xpel film, tint, and matte black stripes. Only problem is I can't decide what width stripes to get.

GabbiLB
Jul 14, 2004

~toot~
I think the supersnake style from BWG works pretty well on the s550:

https://www.bigwormgraphix.com/2015-17-mustang-supersnake-full-length-stripes.html

I know you are getting yours painted on but this is the easiest place for me to reference stripe designs. The matte stripes are killer.

Dick Burglar
Mar 6, 2006
GT500 split-down-the-middle twin stripes look way better than the fat ugly supersnake single stripe.

fps_bill
Apr 6, 2012

Actually the body guy talked me out of painting them on. I'm just gonna have the clear bra place stick then on. It wouldn't look right if I got them painted on anyway, matte black stripes but the hood and bumper would be gloss since I'm getting a full front end clear bra done.

I like these stripes but everyone said they're too wide and there needs to be more space between the stripes. I'm pretty sure the factory over the top package has 10" stripes though so idk. I'd go with a silver pinstripe though.

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

fps_bill posted:

I like these stripes but everyone said they're too wide and there needs to be more space between the stripes.

It's your car, dude. Get the stripes you want, not the ones some guy on the internet wants. Personally, I like the ones you posted just fine, although I'd keep the red.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.
I just rolled over 10k.

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org
Ground speed?

GabbiLB
Jul 14, 2004

~toot~
You know, the speed you are doing on the ground?!

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

ilkhan posted:

I just rolled over 10k.

Time to get a new one?

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

RFC2324 posted:

Time to get a new one?
:innocent look:

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org
Can't believe its the middle of march and I still dont have the mustang on the road because we're supposed to be getting a foot of snow maybe. :argh: :argh: :argh: :argh:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e5ueRunzQLE

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=StugvtEcDTM

GabbiLB
Jul 14, 2004

~toot~
Can't believe it's mid March and I need to keep snow tires on my Mustang cause we are getting over a foot of snow tomorrow.

I really want to do a nice detailing also. Where spring.

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal

ilkhan posted:

I just rolled over 10k.

8008.5 is the only mileage we want to be informed of. This is the ford thread.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

Elephanthead posted:

In that case how about some content?

Went for a cruise through Napa Valley yesterday. Some great cars, great company, and great views.

2017-03-12 Black Stallion Winery Cruise https://imgur.com/a/uMBUC

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org

ilkhan posted:

In that case how about some content?

Went for a cruise through Napa Valley yesterday. Some great cars, great company, and great views.

2017-03-12 Black Stallion Winery Cruise https://imgur.com/a/uMBUC
Your car club is ageist.

Is that guy renting the GT-H or did he buy a rental car?

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

Elephanthead posted:

rude:

Cocoa Crispies posted:

Hit an important milestone on Friday:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F4BHS-6kKH0

(safely and responsibly in the empty cul-de-sac in front of my house during a school day)

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

Cage posted:

Your car club is ageist.

I understood you can't really buy the GT-H, its only available as a rental from Hertz?

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org
I think you can buy them after they retire them, I saw an 05-09 for sale near me a while back. So yeah if its the new model probably didn't buy. Just wanted to rib a little.

Cage fucked around with this message at 20:51 on Mar 13, 2017

kalvick
Jun 5, 2001
somewhere between 4-17-16

and 7-13-2016

I had 3 sets of 8008.5 with a little side of .0065.

obviously more people have had to play with more sets of 8008.5 than I have.

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

RFC2324 posted:

I understood you can't really buy the GT-H, its only available as a rental from Hertz?

If you're fond of terrible decisions you can buy one used from Hertz. If that doesn't seem like a terrible idea, rent one and report back.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

Cage posted:

Your car club is ageist.

We did have a couple of older (pre-2015) 'stangs there, along with 1 camaro, one STi, one S13. One of our S550 drivers got so pissed about getting teased about driving a V6 at lunch he went over to the "leader" of the group and was like "I need to talk with you!". Dude told him to relax, its all in good fun, and to not dish out poo poo if he can't take it. Then the V6 driver admitted he couldn't drive a stick. He left soon after.

The GT-H driver has a 50th anniversary 2015, but its getting repainted after some road debris hosed up the front paint during a cruise in December. She rented the Hertz for the weekend so she could play too after 2 months of withdraw symptoms and this weekends perfect weather.

Not as rude as that music. :wtf:

ilkhan fucked around with this message at 21:44 on Mar 13, 2017

LongSack
Jan 17, 2003

What is the consensus on ground effect lighting? I got an idea into my head that underbody black lights might look kinda cool, and started researching the laws in Tennessee. Upshot is that red and blue are out, anything flashing is out, white and yellow/amber are iffy. So black lights should be ok.

What kinda surprised me, though, is the utter disdain that some people / sites have for GE kits.

Is GE lighting a gateway drug leading to 18" spoilers, 12" exhaust tips, $600 rims, lovely body kits and home-applied 15% tint kits full of air bubbles? :ohdear:

Edit: turns out that LEDs can't do a really good black light, and I don't want to put real neon under, so that's out

LongSack fucked around with this message at 03:31 on Mar 19, 2017

GabbiLB
Jul 14, 2004

~toot~
bad

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
I would love to ironically slap a 2fast2furious car together someday, but that being said, I've never ever seen a light kit that actually looked decent.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.
Jesus might have built my hot rod, but Satan is my motor.