Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

I plan on being stuck at 1920x1080 for a while, so the 1060 6GB seemed like the most cost-effective option for me. I need to upgrade my CPU and mobo before any other serious upgrades, so had to decide where my money would be best spent. Upgrading monitors is well down the list of purchases at this point. Just over $200 for a GPU that should serve me well for a good chunk of time seemed reasonable.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

1gnoirents
Jun 28, 2014

hello :)
1080ti sli future proof imo best value

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord

1gnoirents posted:

1080ti sli future proof imo best value

22GB VRAM :eyepop:

jisforjosh
Jun 6, 2006

"It's J is for...you know what? Fuck it, jizz it is"

buglord posted:

22GB VRAM :eyepop:

Isn't it still 11GB?

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!

jisforjosh posted:

Isn't it still 11GB?

Yes.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord
oh. I don't know how SLI works ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"
It's 22GB to people who have more money than time to read about how SLI works. >.>

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!

buglord posted:

oh. I don't know how SLI works ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Both cards need the same data set, otherwise the latency introduced from trying to access data from the other card would cause far more performance loss than what you gain from having two GPUs working together. There are processes where the cards working in close synchronization isn't important but those tend to be in the HPC space, not gaming.

BurritoJustice
Oct 9, 2012

I know it's a pipe dream, but it would be great if Nvidia's new workstation form factor Nvlink introduced with the GP100 came to their top end consumer chips. Would make it likely for VRAM sharing to become a thing, plus better multi-GPU scaling in general.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

BurritoJustice posted:

I know it's a pipe dream, but it would be great if Nvidia's new workstation form factor Nvlink introduced with the GP100 came to their top end consumer chips. Would make it likely for VRAM sharing to become a thing, plus better multi-GPU scaling in general.

Pascals HB SLi bridge was such a low-effort hack (literally just bonding both SLi lanes together with no clock increase) that I have a feeling it was only meant to be a stop-gap solution, with consumer Volta using NVLink instead.

They could still do price discrimination by reserving two-lane NVLink for the pro market - even a single NVLink lane would be 20x faster than HB SLi :hawaaaafap:

ufarn
May 30, 2009

buglord posted:

god I hate enthusiast marketing sometimes

Pretty nuts how almost everyone has to be all GAMER GAMER GAMER GFUEL MOUNTAIN DEW these days. Guess the Razer/Alienware craze became mainstream.

I think the design of the actual card is pretty nice, though. The typography is excellent, too.

And I don't see as many gaudy neon case designs the way I used to tin the 00s where the front always had to look like the locomotive from Hell in the moment before it hits you.

track day bro!
Feb 17, 2005

#essereFerrari
Grimey Drawer

Toalpaz posted:

Thread, why do reference coolers look so drat cool, yet cool worse and cost more? This question vexes me.

I also bought a used 1070 Founders just now a week before the Ti is released and presumably drops all the Pascal card prices drop. Please ridicule me. The used price is just about what it looks like it would cost for a new one in a week. Then again it's only a year old so it's not like it's going to be broken or anything.

I hope it OC's okay.

I bought a FE 1070 because at the time the only cheaper cards were lovely non reference blowers. Stupid because I got annoyed how loud it was in comparison to the old msi 970 it replaced.

Ended up buying the evga hybrid cooler hoping it would be quieter. Problem is that the fan on the rad is a fixed speed and not quiet, plus the slight noise from the pump means its about as loud as the reference blower.

I mean i could swap the fan for something quiet and pwm but it means taking the entire pc apart due to how the rad is mounted. Bonus is that the card never gets hotter than 45 c and oc's pretty drat well.

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

ufarn posted:

Pretty nuts how almost everyone has to be all GAMER GAMER GAMER GFUEL MOUNTAIN DEW these days. Guess the Razer/Alienware craze became mainstream.

I think the design of the actual card is pretty nice, though. The typography is excellent, too.

And I don't see as many gaudy neon case designs the way I used to tin the 00s where the front always had to look like the locomotive from Hell in the moment before it hits you.

Its kind of nice to see after so many years of windows gaming sucking.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

ufarn posted:

The Antec Sonata saved us all.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.
The sonata was so good when it came out.

JnnyThndrs
May 29, 2001

HERE ARE THE FUCKING TOWELS
poo poo, I'm still using a Sonata 2 in my secondary gaming box, the one where my old 2500K/HD7950 ended up. It's just a tad short for modern hi-perf graphics cards. I love that case.

JnnyThndrs
May 29, 2001

suddenlyissoon posted:

What would be a good price too out my 980ti at? 250?

Sent you a PM.

CDHiggs
Dec 16, 2016

That night in Point Pleasant. Those red eyes Richard Gere would never forget.
Got my 2016 annual bonus from my company, and I'd really like to get my hands on two 1080TIs. Problem is: I don't have time to camp NewEgg or Amazon, and I know these things are going to sell out in 5 minutes. Here's hoping this launch isn't a complete wreck like the 1080/1070 launch was.

BIG HEADLINE posted:

It's 22GB to people who have more money than time to read about how SLI works. >.>

If implemented, isn't there a feature of DX12 that treats both cards' VRAM as one big pool?

CDHiggs fucked around with this message at 17:16 on Mar 4, 2017

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Adjust the bass and let the Alpine blast

Josh Lyman posted:

Hm, I remember the Cooler Master ACTS 200 being one of the most handsome (older) ATX cases, and I'm pretty sure that came some time before. Lian Li has always made decent looking cases in a sea of plastic poo poo, too.

vv Eh, I don't know, it's a pretty simple and clean design. Try taking a trip down memory lane and have a look at all the other 2000's PC cases with bloated plastic façades and unrolled edges that shred your skin. Even the Sonata has blue LEDs and plastic chrome bits at the front, as well as Antec cut out on the side. I have an Antec case that looks very similar to that, though, without the LED chrome section and the lettering. In fact, I've had two. And an Antec P182, which was also really nice. I was merely trying to recall an early example of a case that had a clean design.

HalloKitty fucked around with this message at 17:38 on Mar 4, 2017

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

HalloKitty posted:

Hm, I remember the Cooler Master ACTS 200 being one of the most handsome ATX cases, and that came some time before. Lian Li has always made decent looking cases in a sea of plastic poo poo, too.
Not so sure about the Coolermaster...

Lian Li's were generally great but also too expensive.

Obsurveyor
Jan 10, 2003

CDHiggs posted:

Got my 2016 annual bonus from my company, and I'd really like to get my hands on two 1080TIs. Problem is: I don't have time to camp NewEgg or Amazon, and I know these things are going to sell out in 5 minutes. Here's hoping this launch isn't a complete wreck like the 1080/1070 launch was.

If they follow their previous URL naming, then EVGA will have theirs on:

http://www.evga.com/products/productlist.aspx?type=0&family=GeForce+10+Series+Family&chipset=GTX+1080+Ti

You could just refresh this page instead. Even if you miss the first batch, their notifications are reliable(unlike Newegg's).

Lowen SoDium
Jun 5, 2003

Highen Fiber
Clapping Larry

Josh Lyman posted:

I still have one of those. Machine that is is it is dead but the case is still in great shape.

Dead Goon
Dec 13, 2002

No Obvious Flaws

CDHiggs posted:

If implemented, isn't there a feature of DX12 that treats both cards' VRAM as one big pool?

Does your bonus expire after a certain amount of time if not spent? Can you not save it and wait until stock is more reliable?

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

CDHiggs posted:

Kind of but not really. DX12 lets developers manually control how the work gets split up between the GPUs, so in theory they could split it such that GPU1 does tasks pertaining to one set of data and GPU2 does tasks pertaining to a different set of data, so not all data has to be uploaded to both cards.

In practice nobody has a loving clue how to do this while keeping good scaling and frame pacing.

https://www.techpowerup.com/231079/is-directx-12-worth-the-trouble

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

CDHiggs posted:

Set up some alerts at nowinstock.net I was able to snag a 1080 pretty easily at launch using that.

Rabid Snake
Aug 6, 2004

Josh Lyman posted:

My first computer build (Core 2 Duo E6300) lived in that case.

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

Josh Lyman posted:

The black widow version of that was really good, I wish I still had it. I had one and ordered a black panel to replace the window.

Lian li v1000 was another really good case. I still have a g3258 in. It sits next to my thermaltake case, two total opposites on the build quality scale.

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO fucked around with this message at 03:48 on Mar 5, 2017

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO posted:

The black widow version of that was really good, I wish I still had it. I had one and ordered a black panel to replace the window.

Lian li v1000 was another really good case. I still have a g3258 in. It sits next to my thermaltake case, two total opposites on the build quality scale.

I've got a black Lian Li 1200 that I bought in 2005, and it's still a pretty fantastic case. I only stopped using it in my main PC because the Noctua cooler I got wouldn't fit.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE
Anted makes crap these days, and lian li stuff is premium in build quality but dated in design - all their products still use 120mm fans.

Luckily there is a whole new generation - phanteks, corsair, nzxt etc

JnnyThndrs
May 29, 2001

My Lian-li PC-70 is still going strong as my main box after 16 years, probably a record by computer standards. It's so huge that today's ridiculously long GPU's still fit fine, it was considered to have crazy overkill in the fan department at the time so cooling isn't a problem, and it's restrained styling doesn't look ridiculous.

The feet kinda suck though.

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

Put some 6800 rpm deltas in that sucker

Watermelon Daiquiri
Jul 10, 2010
I TRIED TO BAIT THE TXPOL THREAD WITH THE WORLD'S WORST POSSIBLE TAKE AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS STUPID AVATAR.
hahaha those tiny rear end buzzer fans

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I'm remembering 80mm fans.

Did they ever use smaller ones as standard?

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

Found some pics of my rig from May 2006. Still using that case, in a secondary PC. I just love the way it looks.

Opteron 165 cpu and sli 7800gts

Scarecow
May 20, 2008

3200mhz RAM is literally the Devil. Literally.
Lipstick Apathy
I must be crazy because I'm going to buy the phanteks Elite later this year for my new case

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"
I can't see myself getting rid of my Air 540 anytime soon. Sure, it's huge, and looks like a rejected Borg Ship design, but resting it on its side, I never have to worry about heatsink or card sag.

Seamonster
Apr 30, 2007

IMMER SIEGREICH
God I miss choices we had for aluminum cases.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

Still using a Cooler Master Cosmos S. Thing is big, has a bunch of drive bays, and a fuckload of room inside. The giant 200mm fan is dead, though, so I need to order a new one.

I also have a Lian Li PC-A05FN sitting in my closet waiting for me to build a home server.

I don't see myself buying a new computer case until ATX is no more.

Kazinsal fucked around with this message at 07:06 on Mar 5, 2017

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Mario wasn't sure if this Jeb guy was a good influence on Yoshi.

Scarecow posted:

I must be crazy because I'm going to buy the phanteks Elite later this year for my new case

Phanteks makes a really good case. The Elite is goofy big and expensive, but I love my Luxe like mad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE
My next is going to be an NZXT manta, unless something better appears in the next year or so.