Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

Imperador do Brasil posted:

I believe he said the parking brake was done for

So he did :doh:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Somewhat Heroic
Oct 11, 2007

(Insert Mad Max related text)

Boss gave me yesterday off for working all weekend. It was a total heat wave of 45* F(reedom) so I loaded up the car seats in the old family sedan and took the kids to a park to play. I made sure to scuff off the old rubber while I was out.

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance
Reliability aside, aren't there pretty significant safety differences between today's cars and 1997's cars?

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe

prom candy posted:

Reliability aside, aren't there pretty significant safety differences between today's cars and 1997's cars?

Yes. Even in the structural department.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

KakerMix posted:

From what I've seen if you want a manual you have to get the 300, otherwise you should always go for the 400 because V8. Or get a 400 and to a manual swap on it.

From what I've seen, an SC400 manual swap is really annoying, because all the electronics freak out, and there was never a Toyota V8 manual ECU, so you can't just swap one in. As I recall, even the AC computer refuses to work.
So, it would be fine for ~*race car*~, but if you want basically a stock SC400 w/ a manual, like your SC300 but V8, that's a no go. Which sucks.

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde
One of the biggest improvements in car safety over the 90s/early 00s is in small overlap crash safety. New cars absorb and deflect small overlap crashes soooo much better than cars from even 10 years ago it's not even funny.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

Nerdrock posted:

My friend and roommate for a while had an '83 prelude up until the maybe 2004 or so. My favorite part was in 2001 or 2002 when he needed to replace the clutch. It had been obviously needed for over a year, but he let it go, to the point where he discovered he couldn't park the car (parking brake also shot). We were sitting in our favorite coffee shop and could see the lude outside, and it just... started to roll. "Ben. your car is moving" ... poo poo poo poo poo poo poo poo he runs out to the car and is pushing against the hood trying to prevent further movement (if it went 10 feet further it'd roll down a very steep hill. The rest of us were still at our table laughing our assess off when we could hear a desperate COME HELP ME YOU FUCKERS I CAN'T DO THIS from outside. The rest of us came out and assisted him in securing the vehicle. He STILL didn't change the clutch for another 6 months, he was just a lot more careful choosing a parking spot. Same guy is now a literal homeless Motorcycle Vagabond whose entire life is strapped to the back of a 650cc KTM, who earns money for food doing developer work in coffee shops. He's a bit more proactive about vehicle maintenance now.

Anyways : Car was fun as hell. preludes were great.

That aside, why didn't he just get some wheel chocs or a loving brick or some poo poo?

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

I've gotta stop fantasizing about Lee Majors...
Ah, one more!

KakerMix posted:

I've olded so hard I ended up buying a Lexus of all things.

It does have this though

This car gives me a raging, megahuge boner.

Nice pickup, goddrat.

Abe Frohman
Mar 1, 2005

Kirby? He'll be a fry cook on Dreamland.
1988 Mercury Grand Marquis Colony Park Dadmobile.

http://imgur.com/a/bINJ8

I love my big bitch.

savesthedayrocks
Mar 18, 2004
The cheetah print rug really ties the room together.

Abe Frohman
Mar 1, 2005

Kirby? He'll be a fry cook on Dreamland.
Yeah, it has matching visors also, I haven't gotten around to replacing them and I feel they say "Let's just do what feels natural" or they may say "God I hope that was enough chloroform". One or the other.

Analogue Kid
Jan 4, 2013

I wrecked my 2006 Subaru Impreza wagon and replaced it with a $500 Sunfire GT 2.4L.

It may be a cheap cockroach, but it's a cockroach GT.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Ahh, the sunfire GT, the official car of "i don't have insurance and my license is suspended"

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

Powershift posted:

Ahh, the sunfire GT, the official car of "i don't have insurance and my license is suspended"

"DUI is more than just a lifestyle for me. I can no longer afford a Grand Am or Pontiac Montana in which to wobble slowly homewards."

I sort of miss my Cavalier sometimes and I don't know why...

Analogue Kid
Jan 4, 2013

Just for shits I'll post my other $440 project. Bought it with 278,000 miles and no engine oil. It's my roommate's first car.

It lacks a fuel filler neck entirely, along with other mostly essential parts.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

Gorgeous.

Pretty.

Rad.

Adequate.

Confusing. How does one go about not having a filler neck?

Powershift posted:

Where I grew up in Michigan the official car of 30 year old burnout.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

Analogue Kid posted:

Just for shits I'll post my other $440 project. Bought it with 278,000 miles and no engine oil. It's my roommate's first car.

It lacks a fuel filler neck entirely, along with other mostly essential parts.

I love this. More please.

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

Terrible Robot posted:

One of the biggest improvements in car safety over the 90s/early 00s is in small overlap crash safety. New cars absorb and deflect small overlap crashes soooo much better than cars from even 10 years ago it's not even funny.

Don't get hit then. :v:

I'd utterly forgotten the SC coupes existed until Kaker's post, and now I love them.

e:

Powershift posted:

Don't forget old F-250s. :v:

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Wistful of Dollars posted:

I'd utterly forgotten the SC coupes existed until Kaker's post, and now I love them.

e:

Don't forget old F-250s. :v:

Old f-250s have insurance, but there's a 90% chance the person driving it stole it.

50% chance that they stole it from someone who had also stolen it.

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

100% chance they're sloshed on cheap beer though. And have had sexual thoughts about a close family member.

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde
Oh man I'm loving loving the influx of big, old American wagons in this forum recently. :allears:

Exactly. I've never owned a car newer than MY99, I'm well aware of my chances in a crash, especially with how huge modern cars are. It's worth the risk, imo.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe

Abe Frohman posted:

1988 Mercury Grand Marquis Colony Park Dadmobile.

http://imgur.com/a/bINJ8

I love my big bitch.

I love your barge.

They're my crumple-zone.

cynic
Jan 19, 2004

Cross posting from the campervan thread because I'm just so drat excited about this it's just wrong (picked up on Monday, had a first outing today).

blk
Dec 19, 2009
I decided I'm tired of driving to work in the Saabaru and Miata and got an AWD hybrid with a five speed

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

blk posted:

I decided I'm tired of driving to work in the Saabaru and Miata and got an AWD hybrid with a five speed

I bet that, like my Uzi, weighs a ton.

rscott
Dec 10, 2009

Terrible Robot posted:

Oh man I'm loving loving the influx of big, old American wagons in this forum recently. :allears:

Exactly. I've never owned a car newer than MY99, I'm well aware of my chances in a crash, especially with how huge modern cars are. It's worth the risk, imo.

Old Volvos aren't a bad choice if you're gonna drive an old car at least

blk
Dec 19, 2009

Seminal Flu posted:

I bet that, like my Uzi, weighs a ton.

I'm guessing 45 lbs - not as bad as it could be, but still 3x my road bike. Unfortunately I can't really ride my road bike right now since I messed up my back, so I got this, which does the job.

heffray
Sep 18, 2010

Picked this up Thursday with the GM 20% off deal (automatic because I'm lazy now, LS3, magneride shocks, etc). I do not understand why more people didn't buy these.

autism ZX spectrum
Feb 8, 2007

by Lowtax
Fun Shoe

Analogue Kid posted:

I wrecked my 2006 Subaru Impreza wagon and replaced it with a $500 Sunfire GT 2.4L.

It may be a cheap cockroach, but it's a cockroach GT.

Sunfires are rad. Cheap like borscht, impossible to kill and not terrible to drive. If I didn't need a truck then the humble Sunfire would be my #2 pick.

Jymmybob
Jun 26, 2000

Grimey Drawer

heffray posted:

Picked this up Thursday with the GM 20% off deal (automatic because I'm lazy now, LS3, magneride shocks, etc). I do not understand why more people didn't buy these.

I love those things, GM really mismanaged those just like the G8s before them.

I drive a BBW
Jun 2, 2008
Fun Shoe

heffray posted:

How is it? I'm trying to convince my wife we need one of these.

heffray
Sep 18, 2010

The SS sedan is good! It's very livable as a commuter car, and the fancy magnetic shocks & drive modes can get a whole lot more aggressive if you want. Being able to swap between go-fast and comfort modes at will is nice. I'd been looking at a GTI Sport, Focus ST, WRX, or used Cadillac CTS Vsport or ATS, but figured this hits a sweet spot for good performance when I want it, comfortable the rest of the time, reasonable maintenance costs, and maybe even good resale eventually (looking at 2014 SSes and 2008 Pontiac G8s).

Complaints: I wish it had Android Auto or CarPlay, and navigating to a random address while in motion didn't work out successfully the one time I tried it, but I also haven't read the manual yet. Gas mileage is going to be bad: rated at 14/22 and it uses 91+, but I'll probably stick to taking the bus to work because sitting in traffic is not fun even in a new car.

If you want to buy one, the current deal ($1800 off, $8200 rebate) runs through 3/13, but it may be tough to find a manual transmission car. It sounds like there's one more ordering round planned for this year, but I don't know how many cars they'll release, and they already dropped several colors off the available list (including the dark metallic green I got).

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

heffray posted:

You're a good man. Wish they were sold outside the US.

Somewhat Heroic
Oct 11, 2007

(Insert Mad Max related text)

That SS is very cool and I'm glad you didn't choose a monochromatic color that is plaguing roadways across America. There is no shame in the automatic game since the new ones are proving to be really sorted out. When I bought my M3 the other month and was playing the 'what other cars could I get instead' the SS was one but never a serious contender. I would definitely be gaudy and put all the Holden conversion stuff (if I couldn't find the Holden package car). It would be hard to not want to supercharge it or something.

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

You're a good man. Wish they were sold outside the US.

They did, it was called the Commodore ;)

Raluek fucked around with this message at 11:30 on Mar 5, 2017

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

heffray posted:

I do not understand why more people didn't buy these.

Would you have bought it if it weren't 20% off?

heffray
Sep 18, 2010

I don't think I would have paid $50k, mostly because I was cross shopping against hot hatches and used cars, and the discounted price was still near the top of what I'm willing to spend. I do think that a model without some of the luxury features at a lower price would have helped a bunch- there's not perfect overlap between wanting a sedan version of the Camaro and wanting to pay for active safety controls, HUD, heated & ventilated seats, etc. I'm also guessing the average sale price on these cars was already well under MSRP, but it's also possible GM didn't want to sell a bunch of this car for CAFE reasons.

I'm planning on moving to San Diego in a few months- it looks like there are CARB-legal supercharger options (but definitely not headers or airbox, and cams are invisible anyway), but I'll wait to find situations where something that runs ~13 flat at 110 is not adequate to decide if that's necessary. So far, in random Seattle driving, I can't even find excuses to go WOT for any length of time, let alone think I need more.

Overall, though- this is a great sport sedan at a pretty reasonable price, and I'm glad I got it instead of something cheaper, slower, and less comfortable to drive.

Lord Ludikrous
Jun 7, 2008

Enjoy your tea...

Somewhat Heroic posted:

Boss gave me yesterday off for working all weekend. It was a total heat wave of 45* F(reedom) so I loaded up the car seats in the old family sedan and took the kids to a park to play. I made sure to scuff off the old rubber while I was out.

Not nearly as powerful as an M3 but still end up spinning the wheels here and there.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

I bought this thing. I haven't actually taken delivery of it yet, since it's being shipped 350 miles.

Immediate plans are to put some type of tonneau cover on it (currently leaning towards Retrax MX Pro) and maybe a bedrug.

Medium term plans are a 4" lift and 35" tires though I'm trying to decide how long to wait to make sure I don't have a pre-existing drivetrain or suspension warranty issue. Leaning towards 4-6 months or so.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

Bed...rug?