Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Any idea on roster size and CAW roster size?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe
https://twitter.com/hEnereyG/status/837680767064891392

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

Davros1 posted:

Any idea on roster size and CAW roster size?

I read that the original roster will be 30 wrestlers. I imagine the CAW roster size will be in the hundreds

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I'm not the one they'll try their luck with
Hit hard like brass knuckles
See your face through the turnbuckle dude
I got no love for you

weekly font posted:

It's PC - modding tools will exist within a month or two.

Yeah this is why I'm fairly sure I'm grabbing this for PC. Guess it will depend what the fire pro hardcores go for though.

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I got no love for you
Booking this 1998 WCW scenario is fun. I had Buff & Steiner cut an unscripted promo, both of them apparently did poorly without a script but the segment still got A*.

Everything I touch turns to gold! I can't lose!

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe

Testekill posted:

Awww gently caress, Steam release better have workshop support although that's gonna be a lot of copyrighted material that the major promotions have to ignore.

Good news!

quote:

-, how about exporting and loading the edited wrestler?
Matsumoto PC version is compatible with Steam Workshop (editorial note: a system that shares user-created data on Steam), and you can share your own wrestlers.

https://www.famitsu.com/news/201703/04128317.html

Blast Fantasto
Sep 18, 2007

USAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!
This cannot come out fast enough. The content sharing community on Steam is gonna be massive.

Minidust
Nov 4, 2009

Keep bustin'
Whoa. Barring a disaster in coding efficiency, this thing should run on a laptop that's a little above PS3-era processing power, right? It looks like the PS2 FirePro game with a high-res filter (and the PS2 game, in turn, looked like a SNES game with a few 32-bit effects thrown on top).

I've got PS4 as a fallback option but I have a hard time seeing a scenario where PC isn't the go-to platform for this.

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

i will be getting it on playstation four because i do not own a computer

ShootaBoy
Jan 6, 2010

Anime is Bad.
Except for Pokemon, Valkyria Chronicles and 100% OJ.

So this is gonna make me seem like a huge stupid idiot, but what is this a remake/sequel of and why are people so hyped for it?

Rollersnake
May 9, 2005

Please, please don't let me end up in a threesome with the lunch lady and a gay pirate. That would hit a little too close to home.
Unlockable Ben
It's the revival of a presumed dead Japanese series of 2D wrestling games known for excellent gameplay, detailed customization, and sophisticated AI, which hasn't had a proper entry since the PS2.

Fire Pro Wrestling 6-Man Scramble was one of the hot import titles for the Sega Saturn back in the day, which is how I became acquainted with the series. Honestly I thought they were too difficult to work with and graphically primitive for me to really get into, but people would recreate whole feds and trade game saves online without any easy or official way to do this.

Rollersnake fucked around with this message at 12:35 on Mar 5, 2017

Lazer
Jun 26, 2011

V A P O R W A V E
I decided to get into WWE Bejeweled edition and sent an request to gWO. Goodbye Futurama match 3. You will be missed :(

Budget Dracula
Jun 6, 2007

hyped for the new fire pro game, hopefully they actually improve on some things like striking or picking up weapons and keep in the funny stuff like the random CRITICAL!

i wonder if they will add any more heads to the game or let users make their own

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I got no love for you
I hope the new Fire Pro also has the MMA stuff, I quite enjoyed that

remusclaw
Dec 8, 2009

triplexpac posted:

I'm pretty sure it does. I think it was specifically mentioned.

Borrowed Ladder
May 4, 2007

monarch of the sleeping marches
If we can finally put different hair and beards on different faces, get some updated moves from the past ten years, add our own music, and get KOC2 style match ratings, I'll play this game forever.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

triplexpac posted:

MMA Rules and Gruesome Fighting are confirmed on the Steam store page.

Borrowed Ladder posted:

If we can finally put different hair and beards on different faces, get some updated moves from the past ten years, add our own music, and get KOC2 style match ratings, I'll play this game forever.
New Hair etc.: Not certain, but every body part supports up to nine layers now and there's more pieces like neckties.
New Moves: 80+ new moves at launch, with more post-release. Kenny Omega's finisher is confirmed.

CarlCX
Dec 14, 2003

ShootaBoy posted:

So this is gonna make me seem like a huge stupid idiot, but what is this a remake/sequel of and why are people so hyped for it?

Tacking onto what everyone else said: Fire Pro's appeal is 50% customization and 50% being closest to capturing the feeling of wrestling.

Like, speaking as the kind of rear end in a top hat who's been playing wrestling games since Wrestlemania on the NES, every wrestling game is objectively lame because wrestling is a cooperative art but wrestling games are actually fighting games (and almost all of them (bless you, All-Stars) are BAD fighting games), and every wrestling match being formatted as a fight means you're just trying to stomp the opponent out while taking the minimal amount of damage, and if that's not what's happening, it's generally because you're doing a bad job of playing it, and as a result it rarely feels like wrestling. Fire Pro's system incorporates stamina, damage, reversal likelihoods and just the right amount of momentum shifts to make matches unfold in a fashion that feels a lot closer to real wrestling, and despite being 2D all of this is accomplished with no UI in the way, just extremely well-animated body language, and on top of all of THAT, the AI customization is so ridiculously thorough that wrestlers can do all of these things while acting noticeably different from one another.

It's still a wrestling fighting game, so it's by no means perfect, but it's the closest there is to something that feels like watching wrestling. A huge part of the Fire Pro fanbase just does giant CPU vs CPU simulations because of it.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

the only janky thing about Fire Pro are the controls for lining up characters for certain striking moves or running attack. You need to put actual effort into landing those hits but when they connect, they feel weighty and lethal. It's definitely the best arcade-style wrestling game series since the old AKI ones.

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Jesus! Jesus Christ! Say his name! Jesus! Jesus! Come down now!

To me Fire Pro will always be the game where you can have epic matches with no selling of major moves until the RNG taps you out to a front headlock.

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Yes hello it is I Kurt's Secret Son

Or you get knocked out from the force of giving your opponent a back drop.

rare Magic card l00k
Jan 3, 2011

projecthalaxy posted:

Or you get knocked out from the force of your opponent kicking out.

The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

Blah blah blah blah!!
I've always appreciated how they don't let you go straight to the big moves. I like that you have to start with like arm drags and headlock takeovers, because once you get into your finishers you feel like you're having the most epic battle of your life.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Honestly, I only care about the fake names they give the wrestlers. I've never been able to get into Fire Pro gameplay.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
I've missed out on Fire Pro before so I'll see if my laptop can run this one. Hopefully it's not too much of a graphical upgrade.

Marquis de Pyro
Sep 25, 2006

Evil Prevails
Finished my big year end show in TEW, yeah it was rated A*, but I'd like to dream that the 45 minute main event, culminating the year long storyline where Adam Cole returns from his stomach cancer. Works his way up from prelims, and then pits his undefeated streak vs the 53 consecutive title defenses of Ronda Rousey, winning the world title, would get a higher rating than the WWE's Wrestlemania semi-main of Cheeseburger over Enzo Amore 1 on 1, but it wasn't to be.

Some day......

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

Realistically though, how can you expect to compete against cheeseburger?

Marquis de Pyro
Sep 25, 2006

Evil Prevails

long-rear end nips Diane posted:

Realistically though, how can you expect to compete against cheeseburger?

I know Cheeseburger is great, but could he really carry Enzo that well? Maybe. Just maybe.

ChrisBTY
Mar 29, 2012

this glorious monument

Marquis de Pyro posted:

Finished my big year end show in TEW, yeah it was rated A*, but I'd like to dream that the 45 minute main event, culminating the year long storyline where Adam Cole returns from his stomach cancer. Works his way up from prelims, and then pits his undefeated streak vs the 53 consecutive title defenses of Ronda Rousey, winning the world title, would get a higher rating than the WWE's Wrestlemania semi-main of Cheeseburger over Enzo Amore 1 on 1, but it wasn't to be.

Some day......

Wow really?
Holy poo poo.

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

Lazer posted:

I decided to get into WWE Bejeweled edition and sent an request to gWO. Goodbye Futurama match 3. You will be missed :(

Same here. It's JUST basic enough to be catchy

Muddy Burphy
Dec 4, 2010

The #RXT REVOLUTION has two words for ya..
SCOOP IT!

:frogc00l:

he knows...
This whole token mining thing to get a stupid Kane mask will be the death of me.

Fumaofthelake
Dec 30, 2004

Is it handsome in here, or is it just me?

When character unlocks are fairly cheap but token packs are 99.99 you know where they plan to get you. The game is a huge grindfest even worse than most. I'm still playing a bit though... Also heard they are adding faction v faction stuff so hopefully that will liven things up.

C. Everett Koop
Aug 18, 2008

Lazer posted:

Same. applied as babblederp or something like that.

ShootaBoy
Jan 6, 2010

Anime is Bad.
Except for Pokemon, Valkyria Chronicles and 100% OJ.

Yeah the tokens are the main block to progress. Some of the ones I need to get mans from 1 star to 2 I've never even seen.

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe
Have some Fire Pro stuff

https://twitter.com/SpikeChunsoft_e/status/839664363430539264
https://twitter.com/SpikeChunsoft_e/status/841084416063557632
https://twitter.com/HDKirin/status/839495266071793665/photo/1?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw

quote:

- Wrestlers will inch their way towards the ropes for a rope break while in a submission.
- Regular pinfalls have a dedicated button now -- L2.
- All of the special skills from Returns are back.

quote:

The first part of the interview is him talking about how he entered the gaming industry because he wanted to create a Fire Prowrestling game and put his all into that. He started working for Spike Chunsoft (previously Human) with Fire Prowrestling G, touching up the screenplay and characters for Fighting Road mode. He was also worked on the Wonderswan game and mentioned that he came up with the idea of updating the results screen to show the last move hit before a pinfall on the result screen, because he always went "Wait, wasn't it the wrestler's finisher that cinched it?" when he was playing. One of the interviewers mentioned that it's an added touch that gives it the feel of the wrestling results page in a "certain" sports magazine.

let's see, what else... Matsumoto says that this is a complete rehaul of the game's code. Part of which is because there were a lot of elements of Fire Pro, from the very start, that had a "Chef's super-secret sauce" sort of element to it, and that the staff had been reusing old programming code dating back to the PC Engine days because only the original main programmer knew the ingredients of his "secret sauce." Since he couldn't get that main programmer back, but had the backing of staffers who had worked on the other series titles, he attempted to reverse engineer the games with them only to run into more and more bugs that cropped up. So, he decided to throw everything out and start fresh.

Matsumoto confirms what we already knew from the Spike Chunsoft conference--that this time, they won't be adding any new wrestlers to the roster and wished that he could say exactly why IIRC (legal issues, more than likely). But, he went on to show off the US arena, with its longer, sloped entrance stage, rubber fencing, giant monitor, etc. Which led one of the interviewers to mention it looks like the stage of a "certain" wrestling company (I wonder who?). Matsumoto mentions that it hasn't been added yet, but that they'll be adding a sliding ring-in animation when you run down the entrance ramp (which draws further comparisons to World Wrestling Ent...I mean a "certain wrestling company"). They remark on the ringside table, and that steel chairs can still be used (and they will eventually break, so keep an eye on its condition).

I'll try and piece out some more of it, but, I can at least say that the L2 pinfall button is indeed a thing, so that you can have more move spaces dedicated to attacks and submissions.

Call Me Charlie fucked around with this message at 05:06 on Mar 15, 2017

EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I haven't played a Fire Pro game since X-Premium (SRAMs forever!)

Have any of the games since then (or the new one) incorporated a Royal Rumble mode?

rare Magic card l00k
Jan 3, 2011

The only advice for WWE Champions starting out is that NXT Rollins is absurdly powerful. Use him, and if you have to focus on building up anyone, build him up.

Liar Lyre
Jun 3, 2011

Here to deliver
~Bad Opinions~

There's a march Madness like event starting for WWE Champions soon on their Facebook. Most popular superstar will be distributed to everyone who owns the game.

LvK
Feb 27, 2006

FIVE STARS!!
God, I'm totally not surprised that some of the code is so loving ancient. That series has some really weird quirks sometimes.

IIRC Fire Pro R actually has a slide-into-ring maneuver but the CPU won't do it and it's mapped to some really obscure input

EugeneJ posted:

I haven't played a Fire Pro game since X-Premium (SRAMs forever!)

Have any of the games since then (or the new one) incorporated a Royal Rumble mode?

Kind of. FPR has an EXTREMELY limited 8-man over-the-top-rope mode but I don't think it has staggered entrances.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

I demand to be taken seriously

:aronrex:

LvK posted:

God, I'm totally not surprised that some of the code is so loving ancient. That series has some really weird quirks sometimes.

IIRC Fire Pro R actually has a slide-into-ring maneuver but the CPU won't do it and it's mapped to some really obscure input

Kind of. FPR has an EXTREMELY limited 8-man over-the-top-rope mode but I don't think it has staggered entrances.

No staggered entrances but you can eliminate someone by hurricanranaing yourself and the opponent from the top rope to the outside.