Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Maggie Fletcher
Jul 19, 2009
Getting brunch is more important to me than other peoples lives.

luloo123 posted:

If the cat tuna doesn't work, Trader Joes has no salt added tuna, which is preferable to the regular kind because too much salt is not good for kitties.

She hasn't touched it, and when I peeked at her she started to bolt, until I walked away and she calmed down again. I did buy no-skin, no-bone, no-salt-added salmon from TJ's, so I'll try that if this doesn't work.

I think I mentioned I'm meeting with the board members this weekend and if I haven't seen her eat by then, I'll bring it up to the. I believe she's drinking because I see fur in the water bowl and pee in the box. I may set up my old cat's water fountain to see if that will tempt her. And I still haven't tried catnip; that could work.

MisterBibs posted:

I don't know if this is the right thread for this, but I guess it's about rescuing:

Every once in a while, I notice a cat walking around in our neighborhood, and being completely unable to own cats, I have no real idea if I should be concerned. The thing doesn't look like what I figure a feral cat should look like (doesn't look super thin, coat seems fine, not hobbling around or anything), but time/weather wise it always seems like a red flag. Like, I saw it today when it was post-sundown and the temps were barely above freezing where I live.

I don't know what I should do - or what I can do, because even if I nabbed the thing, I can't keep it in my apartment because it would trigger my allergies/asthma for months just being there - but I could just be overthinking it because I read this thread constantly about folks picking up abandoned pets. Do I call animal control the next time I see it? Chase it and see where it tries to gently caress off to?

Find a feral-friendly volunteer organization. You never know what municipal animal control is up to. Can you get close enough to see its ears? If one of them is clipped or notched, it's likely a feral that has been spayed/neutered and is being cared for. That's unlikely, though, so try to find an organization that can help identify if it's feral or just someone's roaming pet. They can also help safely trap it and search it for a microchip.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

luloo123
Aug 25, 2008

MisterBibs posted:

I don't know what I should do - or what I can do, because even if I nabbed the thing, I can't keep it in my apartment because it would trigger my allergies/asthma for months just being there - but I could just be overthinking it because I read this thread constantly about folks picking up abandoned pets. Do I call animal control the next time I see it? Chase it and see where it tries to gently caress off to?

Can you set up an outdoor shelter somewhere?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lpW69fNzcjc

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

luloo123 posted:

I set up a bunch of these during rainy/winter months, its great. Once had a momma have her bits in there.

Tendai
Mar 16, 2007

"When the eagles are silent, the parrots begin to jabber."

Grimey Drawer
Orange cat stole the show :3:

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe

luloo123 posted:

Doubtful; the area where I live, while a suburb, is urban/maintained enough that something like that would be picked up and disposed of pretty quickly.

I'll look into feral cat orgs near me; I don't see it often but whenever I do, I'm reminded of all the times I've seen it and done nothing.

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches

MisterBibs posted:

Doubtful; the area where I live, while a suburb, is urban/maintained enough that something like that would be picked up and disposed of pretty quickly.

I'll look into feral cat orgs near me; I don't see it often but whenever I do, I'm reminded of all the times I've seen it and done nothing.

its cool friend your heart is in the right place, Ive gotten to the point to where im not really going to go chase down an animal that doesnt look in danger or messed up mainly because I got too many already, and realistically the ones that need the most help tend to just come find me for food and pats and vet visits despite my best efforts anyways.

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Bud K ninja sword posted:

its cool friend your heart is in the right place, Ive gotten to the point to where im not really going to go chase down an animal that doesnt look in danger or messed up mainly because I got too many already, and realistically the ones that need the most help tend to just come find me for food and pats and vet visits despite my best efforts anyways.

This I have also learned over the years.

Tiny Deer
Jan 16, 2012

When I feel overwhelmed by the amount of animals, people, and things out there that need help, I like to reflect on this starfish story:

quote:

One day an old man was walking along the beach. It was low tide, and the sand was littered with thousands of stranded starfish that the water had carried in and then left behind.

The man began walking very carefully so as not to step on any of the beautiful creatures. Since the animals still seemed to be alive, he considered picking some of them up and putting them back in the water, where they could resume their lives.

The man knew the starfish would die if left on the beach's dry sand but he reasoned that he could not possibly help them all, so he chose to do nothing and continued walking.

Soon afterward, the man came upon a small child on the beach who was frantically throwing one starfish after another back into the sea. The old man stopped and asked the child, "What are you doing?"

"I'm saving the starfish," the child replied.

"Why waste your time? There are so many you can't save them all, so what does it matter?" argued the man.

Without hesitation, the child picked up another starfish and tossed the starfish back into the water.

"It matters to this one," the child said.

You can't save every starfish, but you can save some, and the more people saving starfish, the more starfish we can save. If you burn yourself out on starfish, though, you end up not being to help any anymore.

Gorgar
Dec 2, 2012

I like the starfish story.

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches

Gorgar posted:

same, just dont know whether im the old man or the kid :smithfrog:

Chili
Jan 23, 2004

college kids ain't shit

Fun Shoe
My buttery starfish.

Is forthcoming. Phone posting is a bitch.

Chili fucked around with this message at 04:37 on Mar 4, 2017

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches

looks like a kitteh-nautilus

C. Everett Koop
Aug 18, 2008

Gorgar posted:

Usually stories about old men and children's starfish turn out a lot worse, so it's good to have a happy one.

GoingPostal
Jun 1, 2015

I love Derek Smart
U love Derek Smart
If we didn't love Derek Smart, we'd be lame

looks like a kitteh-nautilus

A nyan-tilus?

Tiny Deer
Jan 16, 2012

same, just dont know whether im the old man or the kid :smithfrog:

If you have to ask, you're the kid. The question doesn't even occur to the old man.

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches

Tiny Deer posted:

If you have to ask, you're the kid. The question doesn't even occur to the old man.

:neckbeard: yay now I can tell people to stop calling me old man!

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe
When rescuing a cat goes horribly, horribly wrong

Radio!
Mar 15, 2008

Look at that post.

Reminds me of this:
http://quinndunki.com/blondihacks/?p=3023

I'm so glad my cats are just lazy assholes.

Maggie Fletcher
Jul 19, 2009
I spent the night away from the house and it looks like my foster had some adventures! She came out of hiding, knocked a few things off my dresser, ate all her food, then discovered the hidey hole in the middle of the cat tree. Now that I'm back, she's hiding under the dresser again, so I'm just giving her space.

She hissed at me yesterday when I put a food dish under there. I cried. Fostering is hard.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

It's not personal, though cats are also kind of jerks.

Goober Peas
Jun 30, 2007

Check out my 'Vette, bro

Jack Gladney posted:

It's not personal, though cats are also kind of jerks.

Being jerk is kinda what makes them lovable.

mistaya
Oct 18, 2006

Cat of Wealth and Taste

Remember you're doing this to teach her that people are cool because she was a known skittish kitty! It's gonna take her a while, don't get discouraged.

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches
skitties gonna skit

dont take it personal though think of it as steam powered and releasing pressure.

Gorgar
Dec 2, 2012

fuss-powered

Chili
Jan 23, 2004

college kids ain't shit

Fun Shoe
Alrighty everyone. Break is over. Got some new adult cats coming in tomorrow. One is gorgeous, its name is Pyewicket:

See you all tomorrow!

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches

Chili posted:

Alrighty everyone. Break is over. Got some new adult cats coming in tomorrow. One is gorgeous, its name is Pyewicket:

See you all tomorrow!

that is really pretty :neckbeard:

Goober Peas
Jun 30, 2007

Check out my 'Vette, bro

Chili posted:

See you all tomorrow!

Catte is upside down. Please right and post more picture

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

Fear is the glue that holds society together. It's what makes people suppress their worst impulses. Fear is power.

And at the end of fear, oblivion.

Chili posted:

See you all tomorrow!

somebody get me a map, I've gotten lost in her eyes.

Chili
Jan 23, 2004

college kids ain't shit

Fun Shoe
Peaches!

Pywackett!

Intro video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yZhi-sHKOJk

Hijinks: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sw5KyalBmhE

McDragon
Sep 11, 2007

Aww, these two are just adorable. What a lovely pair of kitties. :3:

Maggie Fletcher
Jul 19, 2009
My foster was home alone most of yesterday due to some volunteer stuff I had to do after work. She was pretty chilled out when I got home so I fed her and went to bed. I got up in the middle of the night, peed, and went to wash my hands and was met with a pair of flattened ears. I didn't even notice she was in the sink. Her look said "not another step," so I washed my hands in the kitchen and went back to bed.

Really wish I'd gotten a picture. Next time, for sure.

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches
.. you worry too much :kimchi:

Chili
Jan 23, 2004

college kids ain't shit

Fun Shoe
Seeing why Pie needs dental surgery. Poor thing is a vampire. If you look reaaaal close you can see her widdle fangs.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
These look like great cats.

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

The reflections in her eyes is making it look like she is going full derp. :kimchi:

Tiny Deer
Jan 16, 2012

Pie seems like a sweet, slightly derpy cat and Peaches is more of a sassy bossy cat, am I more or less right?

Also, when they're together, you must realize they're Peach Pie.

Ofecks
May 4, 2009

A portly feline wizard waddles forth, muttering something about conjured food.

Peaches white tip on tail!

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

Sweet cattes :kimchi:

dismas
Jul 31, 2008

siamese often have that fang thing going, right?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hellacopter
Feb 25, 2011
They're such a lovely pair. :3: Pie looks just like my husband's Siamese that passed away of renal failure a few years ago. I showed him the initial picture you posted with her amazing blue eyes and he asked "Where did you get a picture of Anubis?" :3:

Edit: Anubis was about half the cat Pie is though. We miss the guy.

(phone posting so I'm sorry if this is all hosed up)

Hellacopter fucked around with this message at 21:10 on Mar 8, 2017