Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

J.A.B.C. posted:

Press the face buttons on the 'Now Loading' screen, and Puck will attack the words. He even has a death blow, and the words move more with every hit. Its a cute, pointless way to pass the time on the loading screens.

Perfect. I knew there had to be something about that loading screen, I just figured it was random. I am glad loading screen minigames are back.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Twitch
Apr 15, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Exit Strategy posted:

In Zelda: Breath of the Wild, there are minor dungeons scattered all over. They're also fast-travel points, which is important because this game is BIG. loving huge. Travel anywhere, even on horseback, is a long-rear end thing, but not boring at all. Fights, incidental encounters with other travelers, and fun things to do and see on the way are all really great.

Anyway. Activate a dungeon, and its entrance's base turns from red to blue, and the top of the entrance turns red. Complete the dungeon, and the whole thing turns blue. That's not the little thing, though. If you don't have the tools, wherewithal, or pulchritude to complete a dungeon, leave and come back. Its minimap point and fast-travel zone will still be there, only it'll be red. To say "you didn't finish this one."

Also, a little chest icon will appear next to the shrine's name when you get all of the treasure inside. I'm very happy I figured that out 5 hours into the game, and not 50, because this is explained nowhere in the game or manual so far.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Thankfully most of those chest items are cool but I don't think they are unique. Most of them time they are better weapons that you'd normally get in the next couple of hours.

Though one was a bandana that made me climb faster.

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

In my🦚 experience🛠️ the big things🌑 don't teach you anything🤷‍♀️.

Nap Ghost

Inzombiac posted:

Though one was a bandana that made me climb faster.

Incremental improvements to player capabilities? In a Zelda game?

What the gently caress is even going on

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

Somfin posted:

It sounds like terraria, but zelda. Except without the building so I don't even know what I'm talking about.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Somfin posted:

First Resident Evil goes first person and now this!

RareAcumen has a new favorite as of 00:17 on Mar 5, 2017

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

What's next, metroid turning into a first person shooter?

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

Somfin posted:

It also has weapon durability and crafting :troll:

SomeJazzyRat
Nov 2, 2012

Hmmm...

Digirat posted:

What's next, metroid turning into a first person shooter?

Naw man.

Metroid Farm. Control Samus as she takes a batch of baby Metroids and turns them into a sprawling army family of the little guys. Talk to locals around the sprawling planes of 'underneath the planet's surface', and work out how to best grow the best Metroid Farm, and perhaps find love? Will she match wits with the local Federation officer, or equal the might of the rebellious Space Pirate? Take control of life, in peace Metroid Farm.

TontoCorazon
Aug 18, 2007

In Breath Of Wild you can eat peppers and spicy food to counter the effects of cold weather. Also the fact that you have to wear warm clothes in cold weather is pretty cool too.

TontoCorazon
Aug 18, 2007

Also Link looks like a bad rear end with a hood on.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

In the new Zelda you can dye all your armor so you know I went all pink.

TontoCorazon
Aug 18, 2007

Also if your wearing metal armor or swinging your sword in the middle of a storm you have a chance of getting hit with lightning.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

SomeJazzyRat posted:

Naw man.

Metroid Farm. Control Samus as she takes a batch of baby Metroids and turns them into a sprawling army family of the little guys. Talk to locals around the sprawling planes of 'underneath the planet's surface', and work out how to best grow the best Metroid Farm, and perhaps find love? Will she match wits with the local Federation officer, or equal the might of the rebellious Space Pirate? Take control of life, in peace Metroid Farm.

Viva Metroid?

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Inzombiac posted:

In the new Zelda you can dye all your armor so you know I went all pink.

You can get pink-and-beige horses too, just running around the fields. If you get the affinity up high enough with your horse, you can take them to a specific Stable and a woman there will customize their saddle, bridle and even the mane of your horse.

So naturally my pink-and-beige horse now has flowers tied into its mane. ALL WILL FEAR THE DREAD WARSTEED BUTTERCUP! :black101:

Double Punctuation
Dec 30, 2009

Ships were made for sinking;
Whiskey made for drinking;
If we were made of cellophane
We'd all get stinking drunk much faster!

TontoCorazon posted:

Also Link looks like a bad rear end with a hood on.

That looks more like an Assassin's Creed protagonist carrying the Monado than Link.

scarycave
Oct 9, 2012

Dominic Beegan:
Exterminator For Hire
I haven't played much, but I did get to finally try out the wolf link amibo and I'm not disappointed. Wolf me is a good dog.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

SomeJazzyRat posted:

Naw man.

Metroid Farm. Control Samus as she takes a batch of baby Metroids and turns them into a sprawling army

Man, now all I can think about is some kind of Metroid RTS. Either a reskin of Halo Wars or maybe something hero-based ala parts of SC2 or Dawn of War 2.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:

Somfin posted:

BotW looks like Zelda going back to its most ancient roots. That marketing line "You can totally find and kill the final boss in like ten minutes if you know where he is" has me jonesing for a Switch like nothing else I've heard. gently caress, a true old-school 'clear the board' game.

Not counting cutscenes and the tutorial area it probably takes you waaaay more than 10 minutes just to get there because Hyrule Castle is loving far man!

Son of Rodney
Feb 22, 2006

ohmygodohmygodohmygod

Gonna add my absolute fascination with BotW, I'm not a huge zelda geek but drat am I impressed by the game. I watched my roomate play it for a while, and in like 15 minutes he discovered like 3 things I didn't see while playing the same part before. And the little details are just incredible. If you go too close to a fire with your wooden shields, it burns. If an arrow gets stuck in your shield, you can retrieve it for yourself. If you grab a chicken and jump off a clip it's allow you to glide down safely. If you cook (which is done by holding multiple ingredients and throwing them in a fire) and you add a fairy it'll infuse your stuff with extra healing. There are assassins hidden as normal travelers on the roads sometimes. And most importantly you can climb everywhere which is such a huge improvement compared to most open world games, as terrain restrictions are really annoying.

There's also so much of the world, after I left the first area I traveled to the next mission marker, and after 15 minutes of running and exploring I thought I'd be almost there yet. It was not even a quarter of the way! And that's from one area from about 10 or so, the game is massive.

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Son of Rodney posted:

If you cook (which is done by holding multiple ingredients and throwing them in a fire) and you add a fairy

:stare:

Son of Rodney
Feb 22, 2006

ohmygodohmygodohmygod

This is not the light-hearted Zelda you once knew

The fairy is fine and flies away, she just sprinkles some healing into the food.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

While link was initially regarded as a hero for his role in restoring the hyrule monarchy, his reputation quickly turned to one of infamy as his political enemies revealed that he had cooked and devoured hundreds if not thousands of wild fairies over several years.

Action Tortoise
Feb 18, 2012

A wolf howls.
I know how he feels.
i can't believe that one vg cats comic is zelda canon

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Digirat posted:

While link was initially regarded as a hero for his role in restoring the hyrule monarchy, his reputation quickly turned to one of infamy as his political enemies revealed that he had cooked and devoured hundreds if not thousands of wild fairies over several years.

That does remind me, though, one of the refreshing things about BotW is that it's the first Zelda game since Wind Waker where not everyone seems to fall down to kiss Link's feet. WW Link got kind of shrugged off because he was just a dumb kid slowly growing into the hero role, but BotW takes it one step further by making this Link the first one to gently caress up. One of the first bits of story the game gives you is that BotW is the Zelda game where everyone failed to stop Ganon the first time around, so while Link does get his fair share of "oh, the hero returneth" NPC's after being in cold storage for a century there's also a fair few who remember how he let them down and just kind of wrinkle their noses and go "oh, god, why are you still here"

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters
Chiming in with BotW love here.

There's a puzzle in a shrine where you have to use the motion controller to navigate a ball that falls from the ceiling through a maze and then onto a platform by rotating the maze itself. After trying and failing it a few times, I realized that I could just flip the entire thing over by doing the same thing with my motion controller - the platform was completely flat on the other side, and I moved the ball over with ease.

Also you can feed apples to a horse by holding it out in front of you, to raise their affection with you.

Goddamn this game is so much loving fun. Some of the places you discover have such a grand sense of scale, like a series of towering islands in the sea to the east, or a massive beach in the shape of a spiral, where you're tasked with bringing an orb through swaths of enemies.

Oh yeah and the ability to surf around on your shield, a totally rad mechanic which is explained absolutely nowhere in game (that I could find).

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Morpheus posted:

There's a puzzle in a shrine where you have to use the motion controller to navigate a ball that falls from the ceiling through a maze and then onto a platform by rotating the maze itself. After trying and failing it a few times, I realized that I could just flip the entire thing over by doing the same thing with my motion controller - the platform was completely flat on the other side, and I moved the ball over with ease.

FUUUUUUUUUUU
I spent 30 minutes on that one because of the final flip at the end.
Hahaha, this is the best game.

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Morpheus posted:

Check this out.

https://twitter.com/hitose/status/837685384775544832

samu3lk
Aug 25, 2008

I'm untouchable thanks to these pills.
BOTW I found a puzzle where you circuit electricity through several metal barrels and boxes. Bit by bit, you get more pieces to use to route the electric current but I ended up solving the puzzle by dropping a metal sword on the floor and routing the electricity through it to the next terminal.

I love that this game presents you with moments where you think "There's no goddamn way this will work," and then the idea you had works.

Poops Mcgoots
Jul 12, 2010

samu3lk posted:

BOTW I found a puzzle where you circuit electricity through several metal barrels and boxes. Bit by bit, you get more pieces to use to route the electric current but I ended up solving the puzzle by dropping a metal sword on the floor and routing the electricity through it to the next terminal.

I love that this game presents you with moments where you think "There's no goddamn way this will work," and then the idea you had works.

Just make sure to remember this lesson the next time you're in a thunderstorm.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

Poops Mcgoots posted:

Just make sure to remember this lesson the next time you're in a thunderstorm.

Or when an enemy is flinging electricity at you.

Fun fact: When electricity hits a puddle of water, it explodes.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

Holy poo poo, it took me a few seconds to work out what the guy was doing, but when I did I loving laughed.

cosmosisjones
Oct 10, 2012

Yakuza 0: when you change fighting styles the light on the ps4 controller changes colr to match it, as well as the music changing between them.

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

I second that motion.

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

samu3lk posted:

I used the chest.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

So playing the new berserk game and the title screen/stage select menu updates with a background featuring the characters and location of the current spot you've reached in the story. So you go from being in the Band of the Hawk's camp, to watching Guts just sit there alone at a camp fire as you progress through the story, and the music changes to suit the mood as well. It's a neat detail.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax
There are a lot of legitimate problems with Steam both as a platform and a piece of software but the in-game Steam overlay has slowly become a godsend over the years. Being able to seamlessly pull up community guides or check your achievements progress or chat with your friend or take and share screenshots at the press of a keystroke is fantastically handy, especially in games that don't play nice with alt-tab.

It's a shame that the built-in browser is pretty assy (it straight-up softlocks on Imgur last time I used it) but so much stuff is built into Steam itself at this point that I hardly ever have to turn to it.

Sininu
Jan 8, 2014

Guy Mann posted:

It's a shame that the built-in browser is pretty assy (it straight-up softlocks on Imgur last time I used it) but so much stuff is built into Steam itself at this point that I hardly ever have to turn to it.
This happens with youtube videos every 10th time for me. Overlay just stops responding to clicks until I manage to close or navigate away from the video using the keyboard.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

Guy Mann posted:

As far as I can tell, it's mostly ads that cause it to explode horribly. Wikia sites, youtube often and anything else with a lot of inbuilt ads, especially ones that pop up over the content, tend to cause it to lose its poo poo. But since you can't install an ad blocker onto it, there isn't really anything you can do but roll the dice every time you want to look up something.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lord Lambeth
Dec 7, 2011

samu3lk posted:

That makes it sound like MGSV without a garbage publisher.