Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

Guy Mann posted:

Also the turn-based battles would occur in the actual level instead of cutting away to a battle screen, so a lot of times you would be in a dungeon full of identical-looking passages and then after a battle be so turned around from maneuvering around enemies and lining up your attacks and spells and dodging theirs that you would head back in the same direction you came from.

:colbert: most of the maps are super linear corridors. Like one of the few positive things I can say about the game is that encounters taking place on the map is a cool idea and I like it.

Anyway, Berserk, I can't decide if it's a stupid lazy thing or something I actually really like. Instead of cutscenes, the game just cuts away to large segments from the movies to show the plot. So on one hand, it saves them money I guess but the movies were kind of ugly and badly animated.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

scarycave
Oct 9, 2012

Dominic Beegan:
Exterminator For Hire

I could not bring myself to finish Xenoblade, I quit during the part where you had to take the exam quests so you could pilot the robots.
I was kind of turned off from the sci-fi anime setting, and I don't really find the characters as engaging or interesting as the first one - doesn't help that you play as a mute protagonist who feels like he's only there just so people can info-dump him.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

scarycave posted:

I could not bring myself to finish Xenoblade, I quit during the part where you had to take the exam quests so you could pilot the robots.
I was kind of turned off from the sci-fi anime setting, and I don't really find the characters as engaging or interesting as the first one - doesn't help that you play as a mute protagonist who feels like he's only there just so people can info-dump him.

I hit a point where I couldn't advance because I wasn't high enough in level to do the next mission and didn't feel like grinding. I wanted to like it

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
Star Wars: Rogue Squadron (PC or N64)

The only thing dragging it down is how short the game is :(

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth
Rogue Squadron is on the PC?!

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Who What Now posted:

On Steam AND GOG!

Sic Semper Goon
Mar 1, 2015

Eu tu?

:zaurg:

Switchblade Switcharoo

Who What Now posted:

Yeah, I remember playing it on a demo disc I found somewhere in 2002.

Breetai
Nov 6, 2005

🥄Mah spoon is too big!🍌
I am playing Wasteland 2 for the first time, as I've just recently got it on the steam sale, and while I am really really enjoying it as it is near enough to being an isometric Fallout 3 by way of XCOM's combat system , I'm finding it a little bit jarring that people will quite happily let me steal from them without going hostile or even mentioning that I'm doing it. Like, I'll go into a camp somewhere and it just open locked crates and steal their stuff and they'll not even say anything about it.

Morglon
Jan 13, 2010

Safe and sound, detached from reality.
Just like your posting.

Breetai posted:

I am playing Wasteland 2 for the first time, as I've just recently got it on the steam sale, and while I am really really enjoying it as it is near enough to being an isometric Fallout 3 by way of XCOM's combat system , I'm finding it a little bit jarring that people will quite happily let me steal from them without going hostile or even mentioning that I'm doing it. Like, I'll go into a camp somewhere and it just open locked crates and steal their stuff and they'll not even say anything about it.

That one got killed pretty hard for me because it had to compete for my time with Divinity: Original Sin. It's by no means a bad game, I might go as far as calling it one of the greats but when you have to choose between a kind of ugly game that mainly focuses on things that have bullets coming out and a gorgeous game that has all kinds of spells and area manipulation and combining of poo poo then yeah there's not really much of a contest here.

dumb.
Apr 11, 2014

-=💀=-

Action Tortoise posted:

Bayonetta 1 + 2
Wonderful 101
Xenoblade
Mario 3d World
Splatoon

and maybe Animal Crossing if you're looking for a timesink

Are you talking about Animal Crossing Amiibo Festival? Because that game is a steaming heap of garbage and you could save yourself some money by just rolling a six-sided die a dozen times since that's pretty much all you do in the game.

Glukeose
Jun 6, 2014

The Guardian enemies in Breath of the Wild are just a little bit too frustrating so far. Their homing lasers have preposterous range and track you extremely well, and the lack of meaningful "dodge" maneuver in the early game makes it very hard to mitigate any of that. Furthermore, they're giant durable middle finger enemies and so far in the early game they're just way more annoying to encounter rather than what I imagine is supposed to be a tense escape from a menacing foe. As I progress I imagine it wil be satisfying to clown them but right now they just kill my adventure boner.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Glukeose posted:

The Guardian enemies in Breath of the Wild are just a little bit too frustrating so far. Their homing lasers have preposterous range and track you extremely well, and the lack of meaningful "dodge" maneuver in the early game makes it very hard to mitigate any of that. Furthermore, they're giant durable middle finger enemies and so far in the early game they're just way more annoying to encounter rather than what I imagine is supposed to be a tense escape from a menacing foe. As I progress I imagine it wil be satisfying to clown them but right now they just kill my adventure boner.

It seems like Guardians are meat walls, they're among the strongest enemies in the game and the main factor dissuading you from rushing Hyrule Castle early. The tower in the castle's zone on the map is in the middle of some ruins that's loving chockablock with Guardians, every time I moved out of cover I had two or three tracking lasers on me.

Action Tortoise
Feb 18, 2012

A wolf howls.
I know how he feels.
you know that one storytelling twist where it seems like you're in a frame story only to find out that the events are happening in real time?

that's the main twist in Styx. it would have been clever if everything wasn't signposted so hard leading up to it.

and the high security level is like lost izalith in terms of copy-pasting the same enemy type throughout the map.

and gently caress you game for creating very tight choke points between the area exits and those enemy types.

ro5s
Dec 27, 2012

A happy little mouse!

Breetai posted:

It's been a while so I might be misremembering, but I think most stuff in the game's not owned so it's not stealing. I think there is stuff that counts as stealing, your cursor changes to something like a bandit mask to warn you.

Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

I demand to be taken seriously

:aronrex:

Inspector Gesicht posted:

What are the worst excuses for having a final boss in the game?

Suikoden IV had you fight against a gigantic magic tree as the final boss with minimal ate in the game who you explanation for what its deal was. You had to talk to one optional character that you recruited late in the game that you would never use because he was loving awful.

RyokoTK posted:

Unfortunately Quest is actually pretty bad. That was a disappointing Christmas :(

Quest64 was a lovely game that was essentially the only pure RPG on the 64 until Paper Mario came out.

Testekill has a new favorite as of 14:02 on Mar 5, 2017

Action Tortoise
Feb 18, 2012

A wolf howls.
I know how he feels.
my only exposure to jrpgs at the time was ff6 so it was a cool novelty to see that kind of game in full 3d. but even then I noticed how sparse the game world looked and I personally hated games that required controller paks to save.

Nazattack
Oct 21, 2008
I know that the campaign in BF/COD is not supposed to be anything. But man BF4's campaign is just awful. It's 100% on rails, you have 3 other people in your 'squad' but they are completely nonfunctional. So far as I can tell the only thing they are good for is pushing you out of cover when you stumble upon their rail destination.

This entire campaign is "ALL YOU HAD TO DO WAS FOLLOW THE TRAIN CJ". Except you can't jump the bike ontop of the train to complete the mission. If I run past objectives bad guys spawn behind me and mow me down. If I'm not infront of the 'squad' then they never move forward and the script is halted. Why even bother with a single player mode. Put that money somewhere else. Buy more hookers and blow for the C-Levels and Devs.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Fil5000 posted:

Final Fantasy 9.

"Yeah, we thought we'd build this guy up as the antagonist but after you fight him here's another thing that we've not really mentioned before but that was the true villain all along. "
Necron isn't the true villain. He's a consequence of the villain's plan. You confront the final boss, fail to stop him, and then have to clean up his mess. His mess is Necron.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Necron isn't even difficult to understand. The game's major themes deal with how we understand our mortality and the ways in which people live on through the legacies they leave. Since it's a Final Fantasy game, they make this literal by having the bad guy destroy the world. Death shows up to collect, since the world was just destroyed, and the party goes "Nah, no, we're just going to beat up the idea of death so that can't happen." It's just taking the game's themes and making them very literal. And then you stab the themes.

Screaming Idiot
Nov 26, 2007

JUST POSTING WHILE JERKIN' MY GHERKIN SITTIN' IN A PERKINS!

BEATS SELLING MERKINS.
Necron's theme was dope and he had some bomb-rear end mantitties.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Nazattack posted:

I know that the campaign in BF/COD is not supposed to be anything. But man BF4's campaign is just awful. It's 100% on rails, you have 3 other people in your 'squad' but they are completely nonfunctional. So far as I can tell the only thing they are good for is pushing you out of cover when you stumble upon their rail destination.

This entire campaign is "ALL YOU HAD TO DO WAS FOLLOW THE TRAIN CJ". Except you can't jump the bike ontop of the train to complete the mission. If I run past objectives bad guys spawn behind me and mow me down. If I'm not infront of the 'squad' then they never move forward and the script is halted. Why even bother with a single player mode. Put that money somewhere else. Buy more hookers and blow for the C-Levels and Devs.

Battlefield campaigns never made much sense to begin with, and they haven't really innovated. Ever.

Its the game based around giving you 64-player multiplayer maps with action happening everywhere, yet a campaign that restricts you to 4 friendlies vs the world. (The world being 10 or so enemies, unless they spawn a ton just to kill them off really quickly)

But, uh, you're special forces (because of course) so you only ever do stuff as lone wolves vs AI that's never really changed and rarely uses "tactics".

RenegadeStyle1
Jun 7, 2005

Baby Come Back
I thought all of Battlefield 1's singleplayer was pretty good. Probably the best singleplayer in an FPS definately recently (besides games that are pretty much only focused on singleplayer like Wolfenstein, Doom, etc.).

Walton Simons
May 16, 2010

ELECTRONIC OLD MEN RUNNING THE WORLD
The Witcher 3: Blood and Wine. Very hard boss fight with an unskippable cutscene just before. Don't do this. Oh, and one of the attacks is hard to dodge and is a one hit kill, even through Quen.

Alright, this is awful. Three stage boss fight, lose and you're back to the start. Third stage has me repeatedly losing my Quen to something I can't see, I die because I'm still figuring out what to do, oop, back to the first stage you go, time to brave the one-shotting second stage again! Oh and there's another, longer unskippable cutscene between stages two and three.

Walton Simons has a new favorite as of 20:15 on Mar 5, 2017

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
In MMOs, it already sucks when you kill a monster and you get its meat, its blood and its spit, but not its skin which is what you actually wanted. You know what makes it worse? When you can count the number of those monsters on one hand, and there is another player wanting to farm them. Now you have to compete with this person to kill everything. And no, asking them to party up isn't an option, they don't loving care.

I guess I should be happy MMOs steered away from shared gathering nodes.

Hogo Fogo
May 10, 2010

Walton Simons posted:

The Witcher 3: Blood and Wine. Very hard boss fight with an unskippable cutscene just before. Don't do this. Oh, and one of the attacks is hard to dodge and is a one hit kill, even through Quen.

Alright, this is awful. Three stage boss fight, lose and you're back to the start. Third stage has me repeatedly losing my Quen to something I can't see, I die because I'm still figuring out what to do, oop, back to the first stage you go, time to brave the one-shotting second stage again! Oh and there's another, longer unskippable cutscene between stages two and three.

Yea this was my only complaint about B&W. I ended up lowering difficulty to easy just for this fight because a videogame is not worth it to get angry.

Walton Simons
May 16, 2010

ELECTRONIC OLD MEN RUNNING THE WORLD
Finally managed to beat it, shame it went down like that since it would have been a fun battle without being put back to the start each time and the unskippable cutscenes. I think me losing my quen for no reason on the last stage was a glitch that turned the boss invisible, it didn't happen on any of my other attempts.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

Leal posted:

In MMOs, it already sucks when you kill a monster and you get its meat, its blood and its spit, but not its skin which is what you actually wanted. You know what makes it worse? When you can count the number of those monsters on one hand, and there is another player wanting to farm them. Now you have to compete with this person to kill everything. And no, asking them to party up isn't an option, they don't loving care.

I guess I should be happy MMOs steered away from shared gathering nodes.

This except it's a PVP server so you kill that guy, then his whole guild shows up and kills you, so your whole guild shows up and then no one can kill the stupid dragons for their stupid skin because every idiot on the server hears there's a guild fight going on and wants in.

EDIT: God drat youtube did it again. Last boss of Nier Automata front and center, name and everything. I literally have not watched a single youtube video about this game because I wanted to not have it spoiled for me.

Nuebot has a new favorite as of 23:20 on Mar 5, 2017

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

Nuebot posted:

This except it's a PVP server so you kill that guy, then his whole guild shows up and kills you, so your whole guild shows up and then no one can kill the stupid dragons for their stupid skin because every idiot on the server hears there's a guild fight going on and wants in.

But enough about World War One.

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

Assassin's Creed: Revelations has one of the most inexcusable bugs, in that it was never fixed, and that it occurs to a system that worked fine in the previous title. Every 20 minutes your bank will get tax money from all the properties you own. However you may get into a state where doing anything like doing a mission, aborting a mission, or sending someone a mission will trip an invisible switch reset the 20 minute timer. Instead of fixing the thing Ubisoft just posted a message detailing the bug like it's a feature and then tell you to eat poo poo.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters
Breath of the Wild is an amazing game.

But the controls are, for some reason, so alien to me that I simply can't wrap my dumb head around them. Like, I'm maybe 20+ hours into the thing and I'm still finding myself pausing to remember how to switch weapons or change my powers or opening the wrong menu or running when I want to jump, etc. I can't figure out why, I'm typically really good at internalizing control schemes.

Hel
Oct 9, 2012

Jokatgulm is tedium.
Jokatgulm is pain.
Jokatgulm is suffering.

Inspector Gesicht posted:

Assassin's Creed: Revelations has one of the most inexcusable bugs, in that it was never fixed, and that it occurs to a system that worked fine in the previous title. Every 20 minutes your bank will get tax money from all the properties you own. However you may get into a state where doing anything like doing a mission, aborting a mission, or sending someone a mission will trip an invisible switch reset the 20 minute timer. Instead of fixing the thing Ubisoft just posted a message detailing the bug like it's a feature and then tell you to eat poo poo.

You aren't missing much, those kind of pay money to get a small income stream later is almost never worth it. I did the math for one of the upgrades in Syndicate and it would need ~10 hours to break even on the money, with no way to recoup the other resources. They are only really useful if they unlock something, as an income stream you need to get them at the start of the game or they are mostly useless.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

Morpheus posted:

But the controls are, for some reason, so alien to me that I simply can't wrap my dumb head around them. Like, I'm maybe 20+ hours into the thing and I'm still finding myself pausing to remember how to switch weapons or change my powers or opening the wrong menu or running when I want to jump, etc. I can't figure out why, I'm typically really good at internalizing control schemes.

It's seriously a weird control scheme, I don't think you're alone in this. In a perfect world you could rebind everything - just jump on B, dash on Y and attack on A would make the game feel a lot better.

Still, what a fantastic game. I can't believe how good it is.

spit on my clit
Jul 19, 2015

by Cyrano4747
my problem with breath of the wild is that im a dummy that didnt think to get a picture of the Lynel before killing it. well..there'll be more, right?

also gently caress fighting poes, if that's what those annoying weather changing fuckers are

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

spit on my clit posted:

my problem with breath of the wild is that im a dummy that didnt think to get a picture of the Lynel before killing it. well..there'll be more, right?

also gently caress fighting poes, if that's what those annoying weather changing fuckers are

Wizzrobes? Those dancing assholes?

There might be more Lynels later (I'm not sure), but if you're in dire straits then you can buy pictures from the research lab - you can only pick the category to get a random pic from it (that you don't have yet) but it costs 100 rupees each time.

spit on my clit
Jul 19, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Morpheus posted:

Wizzrobes? Those dancing assholes?

There might be more Lynels later (I'm not sure), but if you're in dire straits then you can buy pictures from the research lab - you can only pick the category to get a random pic from it (that you don't have yet) but it costs 100 rupees each time.

so take pictures of every other enemy and then pay a hundred rupees, got it

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

spit on my clit posted:

so take pictures of every other enemy and then pay a hundred rupees, got it

Oh wait now that I think about it - during Blood Moons, enemies respawn. Have you tried checking back after one of those?

spit on my clit
Jul 19, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Morpheus posted:

Oh wait now that I think about it - during Blood Moons, enemies respawn. Have you tried checking back after one of those?

Wouldn't hurt, I'll try that the next time there's one of those

Jetamo
Nov 8, 2012

alright.

alright, mate.

spit on my clit posted:

Wouldn't hurt, I'll try that the next time there's one of those

I can confirm he respawns.

Blood moons are spooky.

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

In my🦚 experience🛠️ the big things🌑 don't teach you anything🤷‍♀️.

Nap Ghost

Morpheus posted:

How is this even a loving Zelda game when you're using words like this

Oh god stop making me want to buy a Switch I don't have that kind of money

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Son of Rodney
Feb 22, 2006

ohmygodohmygodohmygod

Morpheus posted:

Man thanks for this post, I really thought my brain was glitching out since I have the same thing happening to me. I still sometimes forget which shoulder button is used for throwing bombs, or forget how to attack mid-fight. I really don't know why they made the control-sheme so weird, it's like literally every button is not where I expect it to be.