Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
what's the current state of open access to fibre infrastructure here? last i saw there were no open access requirements, so whoever wired your building had an effective monopoly on service.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zigmidge
May 12, 2002

Exsqueeze me, why the sour face? I'm here to lemon aid you. Let's juice it.

EoRaptor posted:

My issue with the Fido deal/price is that it clearly shows Rogers was sandbagging the CRTC on basic costs, to try to lock out competitive pricing and pad their own margins. It took years of loving around and millions of dollars to just get through all the lies, and there is no consequence for them. They simply cut their prices and use the Fido brand as a 'fake' discount provider.

I'm choosing to stick with Teksavvy, even though it's a bit more expensive, simply because I can't fund such a company (TPIA costs not withstanding). Of course, I'm also about to make myself a massive hypocrite, because Bell is currently wiring my building for fibre to the suite, and the moment that goes live I'm jumping over. :/ Hopefully, TPIA fibre access doesn't drag on for years.

You can always donate to openmedia.ca once you make the switch.

EoRaptor
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

infernal machines posted:

what's the current state of open access to fibre infrastructure here? last i saw there were no open access requirements, so whoever wired your building had an effective monopoly on service.

The CRTC has said that open access for major providers (Bell, Telus, etc, but not Beanfield, Metrolinx, etc) is mandatory, but they haven't held any hearings about how that type of access will work or what the costs will be. I'm expecting 2 years to be the minimum before it happens.

Bell in Ontario, at least, should be straightforward, as they use PPPoE for their fibre offering, making the routing and hookup exactly the same as a DSL TPIA.

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

clown is watching you sleep

EoRaptor posted:

My issue with the Fido deal/price is that it clearly shows Rogers was sandbagging the CRTC on basic costs, to try to lock out competitive pricing and pad their own margins. It took years of loving around and millions of dollars to just get through all the lies, and there is no consequence for them. They simply cut their prices and use the Fido brand as a 'fake' discount provider.

Well not only that, but Teksavvy is now offering 65/10 unlimited for $59.

The 65 tier is odd though, I've not seen that speed before.

Stanley Pain
Jun 16, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Pretty sure you can get Gigabit anywhere in Rogers' footprint right now. Pulling 80MB/s on a download as if you're copying things from one HDD to another sure is a thing :D

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Stanley Pain posted:

Pretty sure you can get Gigabit anywhere in Rogers' footprint right now. Pulling 80MB/s on a download as if you're copying things from one HDD to another sure is a thing :D

You can't in Guelph.

Stanley Pain
Jun 16, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

ToxicFrog posted:

You can't in Guelph.

I think only parts of Guelph are in footprint. Like N1H isn't but most of N1E is. Odd.

EoRaptor
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Stanley Pain posted:

There also isn't a rate set for TPIA access to the gigabit tier. This has been another game from Rogers, as soon as rates are set for whatever is on offer, Rogers retires those speeds and introduces new ones at new prices, then takes the absolute maximum amount of time allowed to submit new rates for approval. It can take 2 years for TPIA's to get access to a speed, and then Rogers just does the whole thing again.

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

8ender posted:

Well not only that, but Teksavvy is now offering 65/10 unlimited for $59.

The 65 tier is odd though, I've not seen that speed before.

Yeah, it's new, along with the decrease from 400 GB to 200 GB transfer.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Stanley Pain posted:

I think only parts of Guelph are in footprint. Like N1H isn't but most of N1E is. Odd.

I'm in N1H. :negative:

Migishu
Oct 22, 2005

I'll eat your fucking eyeballs if you're not careful

Grimey Drawer
Got a call from Virgin Mobile the other day (my mobile provider) offering me a BLISTERING 25mb internet connection for only $55.

I had to tell the guy I'm getting almost 5x that for about $15 more.

He politely hung up.

Sixfools
Aug 27, 2005

You be the Moon,
I'll be the Earth
And when we burst
Start over, oh, darling

ToxicFrog posted:

You can't in Guelph.

It's mostly in the Ward where you can't get it currently because of infrastructure issues, you can get 250 everywhere in the city though. The new North and South end neighbourhoods are FFTH, but the builders keep loving up and not bringing it to the panel so it can take 2 tech visits to get setup. If you live along Edinburgh/Waterloo or Conroy Crescent your building probably has miniwire still.

*If anyone has the white gigabit modem and it does not have a black sticker I advise you to take it into retail to get swapped, the first shipment had hosed up firmware*

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Sixfools posted:

It's mostly in the Ward where you can't get it currently because of infrastructure issues, you can get 250 everywhere in the city though. The new North and South end neighbourhoods are FFTH, but the builders keep loving up and not bringing it to the panel so it can take 2 tech visits to get setup. If you live along Edinburgh/Waterloo or Conroy Crescent your building probably has miniwire still.

Yeah, I'm in northwest guelph near willow & hanlon, no fibre for me. Houses here were all built in the 70s.

Going to see if I can get that coax over to the network cabinet and switch to 250Mbps cable. Need to get an electrician in to track down some ghosts in the nearby 15A circuit first, though.

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
Hmm supposedly Bell has FTTH in my downtown Toronto area. I just assumed it would never come lol.

The Duggler
Feb 20, 2011

I do not hear you, I do not see you, I will not let you get into the Duggler's head with your bring-downs.

Chris Knight posted:

Hmm supposedly Bell has FTTH in my downtown Toronto area. I just assumed it would never come lol.

FTTH is legit, get it from whoever you can as fast as you can

EoRaptor
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Chris Knight posted:

Bell has a huge, huge fibre deployment push on right now. They've been doing all the buildings starting from downtown and heading out along major roads (bloor, yonge, etc) and clumps of highrises. I'm up in north york and they are doing my building right now.

If you are in a neighbourhood where power/telephone is on poles, they've probably already strung fibre up there, and they will be hooking everybody up as soon as they have enough trucks available to service install requests.

Out of luck people are those with buried power/phone, as that's big $$$ to connect each household, and/or if you are in an area where internet penetration is low (dsl or cable). They won't offer product if they don't think anybody will buy it.

My guess is that the cost of maintaining existing copper is now higher than the cost of running and deploying fibre, and even with the upcoming TPIA requirements for fibre, they don't see the point of waiting anymore. They will still sandbag the CRTC as much as possible to keep it to themselves, but even that is a clock ticking down.

EoRaptor fucked around with this message at 04:37 on Feb 24, 2017

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

Chris Knight posted:

Mine too, except they offer 50 Mbps as their max available download for a grand total of $90 bucks a month.

Meanwhile I'm getting 250 from Rogers for $97.

Anyways, he tries to sell me on their dedicated line giving me buzzword after buzzword.

I feel almost bad. It's been a solid 6 minutes.

cowofwar
Jul 30, 2002

by Athanatos
FTTH is the biggest loving scam, it never includes fiber for the last mile.

EoRaptor
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

cowofwar posted:

What? With Bell they use the 'Fibe' branding to mean either fibre to the home or pair bonded vdsl, which is a little bad, but they are clear in the actual offers what you are getting. If they say FTTH they do mean it.

With mine, I get a fibre pair right to my apt, as they wired up my entire building running fibre to each unit.

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

EoRaptor posted:

What? With Bell they use the 'Fibe' branding to mean either fibre to the home or pair bonded vdsl, which is a little bad, but they are clear in the actual offers what you are getting. If they say FTTH they do mean it.

With mine, I get a fibre pair right to my apt, as they wired up my entire building running fibre to each unit.

Oh turns out they meant it alright.

It just also turned out that the most they would offer me, even on fibre, was a fifth of Rogers.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

The Iron Rose posted:

Mine too, except they offer 50 Mbps as their max available download for a grand total of $90 bucks a month.

Meanwhile I'm getting 250 from Rogers for $97.

Anyways, he tries to sell me on their dedicated line giving me buzzword after buzzword.

I feel almost bad. It's been a solid 6 minutes.

Tell me you silently quote Ivan Drago every time they go one on one with you... :allears:

"... I must break you."

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
Rogers pushed a new firmware for their rickety-rear end gigabit modems yesterday. Surprisingly, it seems to be a massive improvement. I'm getting 925/45 consistently now.

Tagra
Apr 7, 2006

If you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you.

My Telus Optik connection is using an Actiontec V1000H that is roughly 5 years old and I think it's packing it in. Wireless drops periodically and our TV doesn't even work anymore (we never watch it so who knows when that started. I'm just going to cancel it since they're lowering the bundle discount anyway :rolleyes:) which the internet suggests is a router issue. I'm rebooting it more and more lately.

Internet searches suggest there are a variety of gateways they will replace the V1000H with. All of them suck, but some of them suck more than others. But it is possible some of them will suck less than the V1000H. Before I call them and sit on hold for 45 minutes, is there a certain gateway I should demand, or is there a certain modem/router I should just say 'gently caress it' and buy and set up myself even though that might lead to a fight with them?

John Capslocke
Jun 5, 2007

EoRaptor posted:

My guess is that the cost of maintaining existing copper is now higher than the cost of running and deploying fibre, and even with the upcoming TPIA requirements for fibre, they don't see the point of waiting anymore.

For Bell, I doubt maintenance was even factored in to the equation. It's the simple fact VDSL2 caps out at 50Mbps for 99% of people due to loop length, when you have DOCSIS3.1 being able to push 1Gbps with the same coax last mile.

It's do or die for them.

less than three
Aug 9, 2007

Fallen Rib

cowofwar posted:

TELUS' PureFibre is actual FTTH, right to the demarc at the side of your house.

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

clown is watching you sleep

John Capslocke posted:

For Bell, I doubt maintenance was even factored in to the equation. It's the simple fact VDSL2 caps out at 50Mbps for 99% of people due to loop length, when you have DOCSIS3.1 being able to push 1Gbps with the same coax last mile.

It's do or die for them.

For a while there I honestly thought DSL was going to stay competitive with cable using G.fast, and Bell even seemed to be ramping up to it by installing remote DSLAMs all over, but it never really materialized in Canada, or really anywhere. Meanwhile DOCSIS has harnessed some sort of ungodly dark power to do gigabit over a cable invented in the 1950's.

John Capslocke
Jun 5, 2007

8ender posted:

For a while there I honestly thought DSL was going to stay competitive with cable using G.fast, and Bell even seemed to be ramping up to it by installing remote DSLAMs all over, but it never really materialized in Canada, or really anywhere. Meanwhile DOCSIS has harnessed some sort of ungodly dark power to do gigabit over a cable invented in the 1950's.

GFast tests claiming 1Gbps were in a lab, with perfect conditions and an incredible small loop distance.

Most loop distances people would have in the Bell footprint (500M-1KM), you'd still be lucky to get 100Mbps. (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/G.fast#Performance)

EoRaptor
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

8ender posted:

The DOCSIS spec that allows for such speeds depends on a few things:

1. That the actual cable loop be quiet small before it hits a hybrid fibre+coax junction.
2. That analog broadcast channels be removed from active service and re-purposed for DOCSIS use on that segment.
3. That the cable install meet minimum standards, and usually that means RG6 for the entire loop.

Broadcast TV needed much, much more bandwidth than a voice conversation ever did, so from the start cable was going to have more built in. Even so, getting gigabit out of cable requires a lot of hurdles to be cleared first, and unless the provider seriously invests in making very small cable loops, it will run into contention problems very quickly. Tens of people in a loop using gigabit services will swamp each other and all others on the loop unless that loop is no more than tens of people in total size. While Bell GPON residential fibre has similar issues, with 2.5Gigabit shared between max 31 people, it's also much easier to subdivide or re-assign people than it is on cable. Rogers is testing all fibre deployments, where the ONT spits out coax into a persons basement (loop size of 1, really), so they know the time for traditional cable is also coming to an end.

shadow puppet of a
Jan 10, 2007

NO TENGO SCORPIO

I saw a note that work has begun on wring Bell Fibe up along the exterior of my apartment building.

I went to check:

Is this a joke? Is it not installed yet? Or is that the real Fiber To The Dreary 60's Highrise (FTTD6H) service offering?

edit: Ah wait, "to the neighborhood" so it must not be installed yet. Hopefully.

shadow puppet of a fucked around with this message at 15:15 on Mar 4, 2017

EoRaptor
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

shadow puppet of a posted:

I saw a note that work has begun on wring Bell Fibe up along the exterior of my apartment building.

I went to check:

Is this a joke? Is it not installed yet? Or is that the real Fiber To The Dreary 60's Highrise (FTTD6H) service offering?

edit: Ah wait, "to the neighborhood" so it must not be installed yet. Hopefully.

If they have only begun to run external wiring, and you haven't had your suite visited by Bell, they haven't finished yet. Each suite will need a Bell tech to come in, pull the fibre cable in from outside, and terminate it somewhere.

Even that won't make it active, Bell will then do a whole bunch of performance and profiling of those lines before they will add them to their billing system and make them active.

As a new subscriber, you will qualify for some good pricing, too: Read the last few pages. Some buildings get even better deals, but don't settle for anything less than the $99 for gigabit, tv+extra pvr, and home phone.

shadow puppet of a
Jan 10, 2007

NO TENGO SCORPIO

Ah thank you. My apartment's unit number is not in the bell system, so I used a neighbor's thinking they had the gone through the technician final install.

I''m the sort of weirdo that has no use for tv, pvr or home phone service. So sadly I doubt there is any chance of haggling them down to ~$50/mo for just the gigabit without bundling in those heaps of extra services.

But on the other hand, the standalone gigabit fibe that is right now listed as $149 is never coming down in price until the day when Bell is sold to a Chinese agribusiness holding fund to combat Rogers getting sold to a murky US infrastructure hedgefund and a proper price war breaks out in the lead up to a shooting war.

EoRaptor
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Ah thank you. My apartment's unit number is not in the bell system, so I used a neighbor's thinking they had the gone through the technician final install.

I''m the sort of weirdo that has no use for tv, pvr or home phone service. So sadly I doubt there is any chance of haggling them down to ~$50/mo for just the gigabit without bundling in those heaps of extra services.

But on the other hand, the standalone gigabit fibe that is right now listed as $149 is never coming down in price until the day when Bell is sold to a Chinese agribusiness holding fund to combat Rogers getting sold to a murky US infrastructure hedgefund and a proper price war breaks out in the lead up to a shooting war.

You can read the entire RFD thread, but Bell won't budge on pricing without that bundle. The bill breakdown shows 75 for gigabit, 24.98 for bell tv, and .01 for the bell phone, but bell will not offer anything like that unbundled.

I'd take that pricing, and just not use the tv/phone part. Bell guarantees the discount for 2 years (not the price, if the base price rises, you will see an increase) and by then the CRTC should have decided the access rates, method, etc, for TPIA fibre access, so you could then choose a third party for hopefully not too much.

You should also get a letter when your apt goes live, and bell will plunk a guy with a booth in your lobby to sign people up. I doubt the lobby person will have the best pricing, but you should be able to call bell directly and ask for the new subscriber discount.

zergstain
Dec 15, 2005

To all those that have 100 Mbps+ internet, did anybody get their homes wired up for ethernet after it was built? Can you tell me about the costs and the procedure? I'm not sure if this is the right thread to be asking this.

Currently I only have wifi, which seems to max out at just under 100 Mbps, so it seems pointless to go above my current 60/10 internet service.

Evis
Feb 28, 2007
Flying Spaghetti Monster

I just use a better wifi system than the ISP provides and I'd suggest doing something like that. That said, running Ethernet is pretty cheap/easy. The hard part is patching up the walls afterward. The cost is going to highly depend on how the house is arranged. If you can run things inside the attic or basement it might be pretty cheap. If you have to punch holes in every stud to get across long rooms that's far more painful.

EoRaptor
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

zergstain posted:

To all those that have 100 Mbps+ internet, did anybody get their homes wired up for ethernet after it was built? Can you tell me about the costs and the procedure? I'm not sure if this is the right thread to be asking this.

Currently I only have wifi, which seems to max out at just under 100 Mbps, so it seems pointless to go above my current 60/10 internet service.

I've wired my own house, but I just cheated and ran cabling through the air ducts and cold air return. As long as it's plenum rated cable and you break out a decent distance from the furnace and seal any holes you made, it's pretty handy and cheap.

If you want in wall wiring, you'll be restricted to either making a mess of the drywall, or only running it where you have access above the wall (eg: attic) or below the wall (basement), and doing that type of thing involves careful measurement and some good power tools.

zergstain
Dec 15, 2005

I don't see how I'd do much better than an RT-AC68U. The wireless adapter on my PC is AC1200, or 867 + 300. A 3x3 or 4x4 was more than I wanted to spend.

In my case, the cable comes in through the living room wall, so if we did run it inside the wall, I can't see it being done without tearing up a lot of wall, especially if every room was wired up. Maybe run some conduit, though that has it's own disadvantages.

Do you mean like the cable would just come out of the floor/wall vent and go to your ethernet port? Anyway, I'm not sure that would work given the layout of this place.

EoRaptor
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

zergstain posted:

Do you mean like the cable would just come out of the floor/wall vent and go to your ethernet port? Anyway, I'm not sure that would work given the layout of this place.

Yes, basically. The cable modem sat near the tv, and its Ethernet cable went into a nearby floor vent. Once in the basement, it went into a switch that then feed multiple runs into the cold air return to the second floor. From there I followed the baseboard into each room, wedging the cable between the carpet edge and the baseboard, or just running it behind furniture.

You may have noticed I said switch. I should also note that the cable modem wasn't a router/nat. This was early enough that the cable company didn't limit the number of devices that could get a dhcp lease. I did eventually replace the switch with a router, because no firewall for a computer was also bad.

I've done proper wiring in offices ( drop ceiling ) and it's pretty easy in that case, but now I just contract all that out. Faster and more reliable.

shadow puppet of a
Jan 10, 2007

NO TENGO SCORPIO

Fibe just smashed the exterior window to my highrise apartment and are now screaming at each other from 20 stories up. I guess halting work in 42kph winds wasn't part of the rollout plan.

Migishu
Oct 22, 2005

I'll eat your fucking eyeballs if you're not careful

Grimey Drawer
It's a speed hole, to make the data flow faster :downs:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EoRaptor
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Fibe just smashed the exterior window to my highrise apartment and are now screaming at each other from 20 stories up. I guess halting work in 42kph winds wasn't part of the rollout plan.

Whereabouts are you located? We are currently waiting for the exterior install on our building to be scheduled, after they completely failed at the interior install attempt.