Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

That's not walking a fine line, that's deeeep into bullshit woo-woo audiphool territory.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

Nobody gonna pounce on the obviousness of the business name?

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Olympic Mathlete posted:

That joke's like 5 years old.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

COACH TOTORO SAY REFEREE CAN BANISH WHISTLE TO LAND OF WIND AND GHOSTS!

Olympic Mathlete posted:

They have a product called the Fulla. If nothing else Schiit is very self-aware.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

I thought it prevented USB DAC's like mine from popping when the computer boots. That'd actually be useful to me.

Also, they show their work and don't lie about the improvements to audio. They say why something is expensive or different from the other, and in the case of the Yggdrasil, "this is a very precise DAC, it uses unusual techniques, but if you want it, here it is." I mean, read the FAQ; they pretty much shoot down audiofoolery pretty fast.

Yggdrasil FAQ posted:

You guys are crazy!
Yes. We know that. And so are you. You're considering a $2,300, 25-lb product that does the same basic thing as a $0.32 chip in your iPhone.

Wasabi the J fucked around with this message at 01:40 on Feb 18, 2017

TomR
Apr 1, 2003
I both own and operate a pirate ship.
Schiit could just make the magni and modi and no one would say they are overpriced or audiophile garbage, but why stop there when you can make a thing that sells for ten times as much if someone will buy it? Their own website says "When we say “this is the only headphone amp you may ever need,” we mean it." On the magni page.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

grack posted:

They have a product called the Fulla. If nothing else Schiit is very self-aware.

Ok then all's good.

evobatman
Jul 30, 2006

it means nothing, but says everything!
Pillbug
There was this one audiophile parody website that I think has come up in this thread a couple of times where they listed fake products such as speaker cable fluid and demagnetizing your living room over the phone, and people kept putting in orders.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

evobatman posted:

There was this one audiophile parody website that I think has come up in this thread a couple of times where they listed fake products such as speaker cable fluid and demagnetizing your living room over the phone, and people kept putting in orders.

That's MACHINA DYNAMICA - provider of Advanced Audio Concepts.

And all the initial "products" were various cheap products the guy had around the house.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

If I were a good enough writer to sell little bags of polished rocks to people for $40+ a pop I would absolutely be doing it.

GonadTheBallbarian
Jul 23, 2007

I had the opportunity to, but I couldn't do it

A Lone Girl Flier
Sep 29, 2009

This post is dedicated to all those who fell by the forums, for nothing is wasted, and every apparent failure is but a challenge to others.
So today I listened to one of these:

http://elpj.com/ltfeaturesandspecs/lt-classic/

Through one of these:

http://www.krellonline.com/processors_ARCHIVE.html#evolution

into two Krell Evolution 600e's

and finally through these:

http://www.duntech.com.au/english/products/classic-series/sovereign.html

It sounded okay I guess v:v:v

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Looking at the prices, drat right it should sound good. drat.

How was the turntable? I've heard talk that the noise correction is pretty heavy-handed, as there is no stylus to push dust particles out of the way.

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012
RIGHT OR WRONG, I CAN’T HELP BUT EXPRESS MYSELF LIKE A BRATTY CHILD. DON’T LISTEN TO ME.
I like the italicised proclamation of 'standard sound quality' on that turntable.

A Lone Girl Flier
Sep 29, 2009

This post is dedicated to all those who fell by the forums, for nothing is wasted, and every apparent failure is but a challenge to others.
It sounded like a record, so I put on some modern music I was familiar with and it sounded pretty good, but now I know my point for diminishing returns lies somewhere between AUD$1k and AUD$100k.

Edit: Also there was no EQ or room treatment, so done properly that system would be incredible. Also didn't listen to the home theatre gear also in that room.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Khablam posted:

I like the italicised proclamation of 'standard sound quality' on that turntable.

It reminds of those super long spec list sigs on gaming forums. There would always be someone who proudly advertised his Generic DVD-RW Drive :pcgaming:

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

Waldo P Barnstormer posted:

Edit: Also there was no EQ or room treatment, so done properly that system would be incredible.

Room treatment is the single largest improvement you can make to your sound system. RTA/EQ being the second. I've heard some low rent systems (in audiophile terms at least) sound astoundingly good simply because your man knew how to make it perform to its best in the environment it lives in.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Olympic Mathlete posted:

Room treatment is the single largest improvement you can make to your sound system. RTA/EQ being the second. I've heard some low rent systems (in audiophile terms at least) sound astoundingly good simply because your man knew how to make it perform to its best in the environment it lives in.

My options for room treatment are rather limited in my living room, but just by measuring the frequency response (using Room EQ Wizard and an afforable measurement mic) below 500Hz, and making the necessary adjustments with the 2+3 band parametric EQ in my crossover, the difference in sound quality is dramatic.

My room has a nasty peak at 45Hz, which meant I couldn't turn up my subwoofers to a level where the rest of the frequency range was adequately covered. By reducing that peak, I could turn up the subs to their proper level relative to the main speakers.

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!

Waldo P Barnstormer posted:

So today I listened to one of these:

http://elpj.com/ltfeaturesandspecs/lt-classic/

Through one of these:

http://www.krellonline.com/processors_ARCHIVE.html#evolution

into two Krell Evolution 600e's

and finally through these:

http://www.duntech.com.au/english/products/classic-series/sovereign.html

It sounded okay I guess v:v:v

Call me a dumb audiophool all you like, giant fuckoff speakers just rule :allears:

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Panty Saluter posted:

Call me a dumb audiophool all you like, giant fuckoff speakers just rule :allears:

That's not dumb audiophoolery, big speakers are awesome.

Dumb audiophoolery is insisting that your speaker equipped with an 8" woofer will put speakers with 2x15" woofers to shame, thanks to it's ridiculously expensive silver crossover circuit, the too small bass reflex port and a bit of corner placement. I'm looking at you, Audio Note.

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!
I don't dare get any floorstanding speakers until my cats kick off. I'd rather they not get shredded. I guess I could get some metal grille, bedliner veneered PA speakers :v:

metallicaeg
Nov 28, 2005

Evil Red Wings Owner Wario Lemieux Steals Stanley Cup
I have 12" Cerwin Vegas. Love big speakers and will probably replace them with newer Vegas when I move to a house that isn't a duplex.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Even if I had gently caress you money I'd probably make do with normal sized towers coupled with a sub or two.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

Yeah I just want to live somewhere that I won't annoy the piss out of people with my audio kit. It's been too long since it's even breathed hard.

metallicaeg
Nov 28, 2005

Thankfully my attached neighbor doesn't complain about noise and after a few repeated questions to make sure he just wasn't being nice, claims to not really care about it either way, though I keep my movie watching during typical awake in the evening hours.

afen
Sep 23, 2003

nemo saltat sobrius

qirex posted:

Even if I had gently caress you money I'd probably make do with normal sized towers coupled with a sub or two.

Eeh, it's not the same. I had a couple of Dynaudios with a 12" Velodyne sub, and I thought there was something weird about the bass coming from another place in the room. Replaced the lot with a couple of Infinity Kappa 9.2s, and everyone's happy except my neighbours. There's something majestic about the sound coming from a pair of big speakers. If only I could find another amp to power them properly.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

You had the crossover frequency set too high.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

afen posted:

If only I could find another amp to power them properly.

You certainly have a lot of choice in the year 2017 my dude.

afen
Sep 23, 2003

nemo saltat sobrius

KozmoNaut posted:

You had the crossover frequency set too high.

You're probably correct. I feel like I tried every setting possible on the sub, but I didn't adjust the preamp.

Olympic Mathlete posted:

You certainly have a lot of choice in the year 2017 my dude.

Got any recommendations? I have an Aragon 4004 on them now, but It sounds like they need more power.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

That amp delivers 200W into 8 ohms. You're giving them *plenty* of power.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

Speakers are 4ohms, amp will output 400w at 4ohms so something's up somewhere!

afen
Sep 23, 2003

nemo saltat sobrius

Olympic Mathlete posted:

Speakers are 4ohms, amp will output 400w at 4ohms so something's up somewhere!

4omhs nominal, the kappas have some pretty nasty impedance drops with certain frequencies, I've read between 1.2-1.6 ohms. I've also heard of a guy measuring the mid/highrange pulling 600W max on these speakers. There is wide consensus that the crossovers suck on these speakers.

There has to be something in it, I've managed to pop the fuses on the amplifier with these speakers.

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!
Those impedance drops are the real killers. My Def Techs are not that demanding but they still wanted more than my H/K receiver could provide. You need a pro amp that is stable into DC, basically :v:

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Sounds like you need a Lab Gruppen power amp.

When you're not listening to music, you can use it as a welding rig :v:

the yeti
Mar 29, 2008

memento disco

KozmoNaut posted:

Looking at the prices, drat right it should sound good. drat.

How was the turntable? I've heard talk that the noise correction is pretty heavy-handed, as there is no stylus to push dust particles out of the way.

Just needs a different laser to take care of the dust :science:

Neurophonic
May 2, 2009

KozmoNaut posted:

Sounds like you need a Lab Gruppen power amp.

When you're not listening to music, you can use it as a welding rig :v:

Not with a 250ms duty cycle threshold reduction you can't. Maybe an old Crown.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof
Does anyone have any experience with Teac products?

I'm seriously considering getting the Teac UD-501 from Massdrop for my desktop because it's $424, looks really good, has a smaller footprint, and is part of an extensive line of similar looking products which look like they'll stack well.
The plan would be to get this for immediate headphone use and save some loot to pick up an AX-501 (gotta love the vu meters) later to power some (probably home made) speakers.

It's not a necessity, it would just be a nice to have. But I'm curious about other's opinions.

metallicaeg
Nov 28, 2005

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

I'm seriously considering getting the Teac UD-501 from Massdrop for my desktop because it's $424, looks really good, has a smaller footprint, and is part of an extensive line of similar looking products which look like they'll stack well.
The plan would be to get this for immediate headphone use and save some loot to pick up an AX-501 (gotta love the vu meters) later to power some (probably home made) speakers.

It's not a necessity, it would just be a nice to have. But I'm curious about other's opinions.

If you're looking at it as a hobby purchase, which I'm assuming you are based on your other comments about matching aesthetics, vu meters, and homemade speakers, then I'm sure you'll be happy with it as that stuff matters more than the laundry list of tech specs. If you're looking at it as a rational purchase for quality audio, I don't think there's anything in the world that can convince me there's any value to a DAC/headphone amp at $400, but there's not much in hi-fi that doesn't make me roll my eyes.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

TEAC is a well respected manufacturer and makes good stuff. The better question is what are you using them for?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

grack posted:

TEAC is a well respected manufacturer and makes good stuff. The better question is what are you using them for?
Facebook videos and lovely youtube rips of beatles mixtapes.

I'm gonna be moving soon and without a house for the better part of 6 months while it is built. I'll most likely be living with the in-laws or my grandmother in the meantime.
I need a compact setup that is a generally good all around system to get me through while all my hi-fi stuff is boxed up in storage.
It has to look good so as not to offend anyone and it should probably look expensive so people know not to gently caress with it.
I don't intend on tossing it out when I get all settled in my new home, so I'll plan to continue to use it as the sound source for my desktop.

I've been eyeing some creek audio/bryston/classe stuff but nothing quite fits the bill. It's all rack width low power, or full sized high power / no DAC

Basically I want small footprint, multi component, and a reasonable amount of power for speakers but it all has to match and be aesthetically pleasing.