Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sweeperbravo
May 18, 2012

AUNT GWEN'S COLD SHAPE (!)

The Cheshire Cat posted:

Yeah it's pretty much the same playbook as cult indoctrination. It's not "rude" to try to get someone out of something like that, but they'll react with hostility because they've been convinced to trust the scam more than they trust their friends.

it's the same mindset that led to this last election

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ice To Meet You
Mar 5, 2007

https://twitter.com/YouGov/status/838720989991223297

zakharov
Nov 30, 2002

:kimchi: Tater Love :kimchi:
How do you screw up a pie chart about pizza

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

My molecule scrambler ray will disintegrate your armor with one blow!
Because it isn't it of 100% to begin with, so a pie chart isn't right. It should be a bar chart, made of increasingly disgustingly large Chicago deep dishes

Hardcordion
Feb 5, 2008

BARK BARK BARK
I don't its intended to be a chart at all, just slices of the most popular pizza varieties arranged in a circle.

Fathis Munk
Feb 23, 2013

??? ?
Yeah but that's super disingenuous because it looks a lot like a pie chart on first glance.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Fathis Munk posted:

Yeah but that's super disingenuous because it looks a lot like a pie chart on first glance.
Pizza is a pie sandwich though?

Fathis Munk
Feb 23, 2013

??? ?
:can:

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
Who the gently caress puts corn on a pizza?

zakharov
Nov 30, 2002

:kimchi: Tater Love :kimchi:

hooah posted:

British people

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.

zakharov posted:

British people

Also Japan too, I think?

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

hooah posted:

Herr Doktor is at it again

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

steinrokkan posted:

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.

What hath man wrought?

Fathis Munk
Feb 23, 2013

??? ?
SPECIAL EDITION THOUGH!

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.

VitalSigns posted:

"Your family will tell you it's a scam, it's a pyramid scheme, but they're just afraid to take a risk to build their own business. They want you to fail! Don't keep negative people in your life!"

This sounds a lot like what the British government are saying about Brexit. :raise:

Chitin
Apr 29, 2007

It is no sign of health to be well-adjusted to a profoundly sick society.

nowwhat posted:

*had to change the percent to per10,000 to get some to show up in Excel

to repeat:

This is a very similar chart to the earning potential of "being a rapper."

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

FrozenVent posted:

What hath man wrought?

You have no idea.

mobby_6kl posted:

Nope, Schwetzingen. Should've known better in a small town but there's a pretty good Indian and Mexican places so that was bummer.

And anyway, I did it! It's the Salami type though:

You know what, it's not horrible. You have to accept that it's more just a sandwich than either pizza or burger, but in that capacity it's perfectly serviceable. The topping is just regular cheese and pepperoni, while the bun feels neither like pizza crust or burger bun, as it's a bit tougher probably due to baking for 15 minutes, but it's ok. So overall this wouldn't be my first choice for frozen pizza but I'd still take it over the previous experience, at least it's cheap.

Fathis Munk
Feb 23, 2013

??? ?
My morbid curiosity got me to try that one too and :agreed:

Sit on my Jace
Sep 9, 2016

Powered Descent posted:

Imagine a room full of introverted highly-technical computer people being told they should be not just selling people insurance, but also selling people on the concept that THEY should be selling insurance, and in fact selling people on the concept that they should be selling... the concept of recruiting people to sell insurance. And then something something BOOM, mansion with a Ferrari parked out front!

That sounds like a particularly poor pitch to give to a room full of people who understand recursion.

Subvisual Haze
Nov 22, 2003

The building was on fire and it wasn't my fault.

UZR IS BULLSHIT posted:

Why is it considered so rude in our society to tell people they're getting hosed over by becoming a Mary Kay salesperson or whatever? Like I'm the one taking their money.

Social pressure basically.

[Co-worker] is having a [mlm scam] party at their house this weekend, and everyone else from your department will be there. [Co-worker] is even preparing a meal for us all! Aren't you going to come? You don't even need to buy anything.

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!
I wish that in the future we'll just eat Soylent all the time and there will be no food derails.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:

Subvisual Haze posted:

Social pressure basically.

[Co-worker] is having a [mlm scam] party at their house this weekend, and everyone else from your department will be there. [Co-worker] is even preparing a meal for us all! Aren't you going to come? You don't even need to buy anything.

Great opportunity to be proselytizing your Herbalife bullshit.

"Stop talking about Herbalife ffs, we're talking about a real opportunity to get rich here, not some bullshit MLM scam."

Stex T
Mar 7, 2005

Shut the fuck up and get out. Have fun being a slave of the rich and powerful.

This is more depressing than all that stuff about MLMs.

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

steinrokkan posted:

What about pea and pesto?

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Carbon dioxide posted:

What about pea and pesto?

That looks like a good base for some cold smoke salami or something.

trickybiscuits
Jan 13, 2008

yospos
Lularoe is an MLM company for women to sell clothing. The business plan is you buy $6,500 worth of clothes wholesale and sell them at retail price. The company could be setting itself up for long-term success if it focused on sales- the clothes are hideous but fun, and they have limited runs of prints that make people rabid to get a certain item. Unfortunately their only interest is in signing up more people to sell in order to make quick money. Check out the comment section on this blog post- it's full of women who have gotten into it and wish they hadn't.

It's pretty sad but I guess I'd feel worse if the clothes weren't so drat ugly.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

trickybiscuits posted:

Lularoe is an MLM company for women to sell clothing. The business plan is you buy $6,500 worth of clothes wholesale and sell them at retail price. The company could be setting itself up for long-term success if it focused on sales- the clothes are hideous but fun, and they have limited runs of prints that make people rabid to get a certain item. Unfortunately their only interest is in signing up more people to sell in order to make quick money. Check out the comment section on this blog post- it's full of women who have gotten into it and wish they hadn't.

It's pretty sad but I guess I'd feel worse if the clothes weren't so drat ugly.

It seems to be very clearly targeted at compulsive shoppers with an obsession about layering and combining clothing in "quirky" ways. So it being hideous is a feature, not a bug. Clever of them.

Also.

THat's a chart, right

Tree Goat
May 24, 2009

argania spinosa

https://twitter.com/YouGov/status/838750115796041728

they must have great calves from all that backpedaling

Lord Hydronium
Sep 25, 2007

Non, je ne regrette rien

I'm more offended by the pineapple percentage than the failed pie chart.

sweeperbravo
May 18, 2012

AUNT GWEN'S COLD SHAPE (!)

Tree Goat posted:

but it IS a pie chart!!!! they should have doubled down.

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

The best part is all the comments being complaints about how bad a chart it is.

JGdmn
Jun 12, 2005

Like I give a fuck.
I see no onions on that chart.

It's a failure in all ways.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

as a person who never leaves my house i've done pretty well for myself.
How are olives so low? :wtf:

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.
Are you guys seriously surprised at the horrifying taste in food of Britons?

Cause spoiler alert, they eat terrible disgusting poo poo.

shut up netface
Jun 15, 2008

Paladinus posted:

Retirement age by country. Men and women.

keep in mind that a quarter of Russian men die before reaching 55 because of alcohol

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2014/jan/31/russian-men-losing-years-to-vodka

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Tree Goat posted:

How is it backpedalling? It's not a pie chart and they never said it was a pie chart.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

Tiggum posted:

How is it backpedalling? It's not a pie chart and they never said it was a pie chart.

I've seen attempts at pie charts that are worse than that. In this very thread, in fact. I could totally believe this was the work of some idiot intern who doesn't really understand pie charts.

Tree Goat
May 24, 2009

argania spinosa

Tiggum posted:

it's styled to look like a pie chart, and has a lot of the signifiers of it. it's not hard to assume that, like a lot of the bad charts itt, it was designed to look like a chart ("make it look statistic-y") by somebody who didn't care about getting the particular encodings of the genre of chart right.

stuff like:

and

i mean, it's possible they intended it to be "just" a top down graphic of pizza with little call outs for the toppings, but even if so, they did sort of a lovely job of it. toppings aren't unique to each slice, for instance (olives, tomatoes, and pepperoni appear in different slices), some incredibly popular toppings didn't even make the cut to the main graphic (onions and chicken are both liked by over 50% of respondents, but aren't displayed, whereas olives and spinach are). it just carries no informational content, much like my posts.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

...90% of what?