Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

crime fighting hog
Jun 29, 2006

I only pray, Heaven knows when to lift you out

Covok posted:

Gotcha.

Oh, also, I heard Aberrant is a game where you think you're a superhero, but you're actually a Cronerberg monster. Anyone know more?

Aberrant was the first WW game I ever played. From what I recall the more you develop your super powers, the more inhuman you become. I specifically remember you can become really, really, ridiculously good looking to the point people are weirded out that you're too perfect physically.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I Am Just a Box
Jul 20, 2011
I belong here. I contain only inanimate objects. Nothing is amiss.

crime fighting hog posted:

Doesn't give me high hopes on HtVigil 2nd. Or is someone else in charge of that? I can't look at OPP's site at work :/

That one's Monica Valentinelli.

crime fighting hog
Jun 29, 2006

I only pray, Heaven knows when to lift you out

I Am Just a Box posted:

That one's Monica Valentinelli.

I'll show my ignorance: is that a good thing or a bad thing?

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

LatwPIAT posted:

I've been trying to figure how to optimize a 15th Generation vampire for walking around during daytime, and I decided to have a look a Kindred of the Ebony Kingdom, from 2003, to see if it had detailed rules on how sunlight burns Vampires (because V20 is not very good here) and... gods, this book basically says that if you want to play an African vampire, gently caress you.

First, all African vampires start off at 14th Generation. Which would be an interesting concept in itself, but it means that your fun-options are more restricted when playing African vampires compared to other kindred. It also means you're automatically hosed over in a crossover campaign with regular Masquerade.

The real problem, though, is that African Vampires have two Humanity tracks instead of one; Aye and Orun. Aye is a straight-up copy of Humanity, while Orun measures your heavenly virtues, with sins being things like:

Orun 6: "failure to observe cultural traditions"
Orun 3:"ignoring the will of the gods, spirits, or ancestors"
Orun 2: "cooperation with a companies to despoil natural resources".

In short, it measures your stereotypical African-ness, and puts great restrictions on character agency because if you want high Orun, you need to always obey your Elders, the random whims of spirits, and traditions. And you will want a high Orun, because you can't roll more dice when using a Discipline than your Orun and you use Orun in place of Willpower to resist mind-influencing supernatural powers. To make matters worse, you can't have an Aye+Orun higher than 10+[Willpower dots in excess of 7], so no matter what you do, you'll either Frenzy a lot or roll pathetic dice pools for your Disciplines.

In short, it's a supplement for Masquerade that makes actually doing vampire things really difficult.

I like KotEK a lot, but it's mechanics are completely busted and clearly written by someone who didn't even think about them for more than a minute. I remember someone did a pretty good fan-fix back in the days, but the geocities page is apparently gone forever.

FurtherReading
Sep 4, 2007

Ouch, new Dicecord bot doesn't pull any punches.

I have created a monster.

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

I wanna be a saikyo HERO!

MonsieurChoc posted:

I like KotEK a lot, but it's mechanics are completely busted and clearly written by someone who didn't even think about them for more than a minute. I remember someone did a pretty good fan-fix back in the days, but the geocities page is apparently gone forever.

In general one thing White Wolf did always love is the "play the wrong way, I'll penalize you, play the wronger way, I take away your character sheet!" mechanics way more than making them work well.

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Jesus! Jesus Christ! Say his name! Jesus! Jesus! Come down now!

Kellsterik posted:

Strix are old-timey medieval folklore vampires that possess corpses and poison wells and stuff, Kindred are sexy Anne Rice vampires with tortured souls and superspeed. Strix hate Kindred because they're too human, that is, too sexy.
Sure but the Horror Recognition Guide (which I guess came after Strix but before any of the other CoD splats?) certainly seemed to indicate that the Strix become the people they possess to some extent. Or at least the Gnosopharm fiction has a Strix dude refusing to kill a hunter because a guy who the mage he was possessing possessed in the past was her husband and he caught that sentiment?

MachineIV
Feb 28, 2017

Rand Brittain posted:

Has David Hill officially left? Or even unofficially left?

Yes.

I might be doing some writing stuff still. Dunno. We'll see.

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Oh are you him? I really like David Hill's work and hope he can stay on however that works out.

I Am Just a Box
Jul 20, 2011

Onyx Path has a bunch of good people and I have no doubt it's David's decision not to be associated, even at a remove, from the rear end in a top hat behavior at White Wolf. It's sad and unfair what happened to raise the consideration, but yeah, I can only wish you good luck, David.

MachineIV
Feb 28, 2017

Basic Chunnel posted:

Oh are you him? I really like David Hill's work and hope he can stay on however that works out.

Yeah. It's me. Friend got me an account. And, I figure, at very least I can waste Zak's time making more ridiculous Glenn Beck association charts if I post here.

Thank you.

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

i'm finding this quite easy, i guess in part because i'm a fast type but also because i have a coherent mental model of the world
Ah, excellent, you're here. Now, your latest design mistakes are as follows,

Attorney at Funk
Jun 3, 2008

...the person who says honestly that he despairs is closer to being cured than all those who are not regarded as despairing by themselves or others.
I gotta say, whosever idea it was to put Ferrinus and MachineIV in the same thread where they can swear at each other, that was some pretty brutal casting.

MachineIV
Feb 28, 2017

Ferrinus posted:

Ah, excellent, you're here. Now, your latest design mistakes are as follows,

It's good to see you recognize the inherent flawlessness in my work. Took you long enough.

Daeren
Aug 18, 2009

YER MUSTACHE IS CROOKED

Attorney at Funk posted:

I gotta say, whosever idea it was to put Ferrinus and MachineIV in the same thread where they can swear at each other, that was some pretty brutal casting.

:chanpop:

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer

MachineIV posted:

It's good to see you recognize the inherent flawlessness in my work. Took you long enough.

Turn off your sig file, they ban for that. Welcome to the worst forum on the internet except for all of the others.

That stuff you posted on twitter about vampires and sorcerers was really intriguing, make sure to link us any kickstarters.

~~~~~
So ever since the elections I have been incredibly angry about everything while at the same time feeling totally helpless. A bunch of my friends have been feeling the way, so as a method of coping, I'm running a semi-gonzo vampire game where the characters are all newly embraced vampires who are now the *only* vampires in town because of The Incident which is a big mystery. But that doesn't matter, because what they're really doing is fighting paper thing right wing strawmen to kind of help us direct this anger we're feeling into something creative and fun.

The characters started with more attributes and skills than normal, but one point in their clan's physical discipline, forcing them to rely more on the inherent vampire powers. Their backgrounds provided them some with another discipline dot. I have a nosferatu serial killer with vigor 1/ obsfucate 1, a nosferatu tagger/revolutionary with Vigor 1/ Nightmare 1, and a Mekhet game designer with celerity 2.

The first night of play is just about finished and in that time the tagger turned a tense protest into a riot by using Dread Presence to intimidate the cops, then while getting pummeled escaped by spray painting the riot cop's visor and ended up freeing a bunch of zip tied protesters later, the Mekhet found and diffused a pipebomb neo-nazis were using as a false flag to kill protesters/cops, and captured the woman who was supposed to plant it, revealing that she'd been blackmailed into the act, and the serial killer captured the nazi leading the counter protesters and ghouled him after breaking his leg with plans to milk him for information.

I've got a great group and I cannot wait to see what they do next.

Axelgear
Oct 13, 2011

If I'm wrong, please don't hesitate to tell me. It happens pretty often and I will try to change my opinion if I'm presented with evidence.
Why would you ghoul a Nazi?

MachineIV
Feb 28, 2017

Soonmot posted:

Turn off your sig file, they ban for that. Welcome to the worst forum on the internet except for all of the others.

That stuff you posted on twitter about vampires and sorcerers was really intriguing, make sure to link us any kickstarters.

Thanks for the newbie schooling. And cool on the other stuff. I will be talking more about that soon, I hope it gets to being a thing.

Loomer
Dec 19, 2007

A Very Special Hell

MachineIV posted:

Thanks for the newbie schooling. And cool on the other stuff. I will be talking more about that soon, I hope it gets to being a thing.

Good. Now hire all of us before you learn what happens to Goon Projects.

Mode 7
Jul 28, 2007

I haven't touched any WoD since nWoD 1st Ed circa Geist being released, and catching up on stuff slowly but there's like several three hundred page megathreads full of arguments about Mage to try and get through.

Not to stir up poo poo drama but can someone tell me if it was White Wolf or OPP that gave Zak S work and defended his involvement so I can not give them any money ever.

And whichever company didn't do that, is there some sort of horrifying poo poo they've done that I probably don't want to support with money?

Maybe I'll just buy and play nothing, truly some days the best way to enjoy the RPG hobby. :smith:

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011
White Wolf Publishing hired Zak, not Onyx Path. OPP's cool I guess.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Cease to Hope posted:

White Wolf Publishing hired Zak, not Onyx Path. OPP's cool I guess.

OPP did Beast though.

Emy
Apr 21, 2009
That was White Wolf (mostly an IP holding company, subsidiary of Paradox Interactive, the same legal entity but not the same people as the White Wolf that published a bunch of RPG books). Onyx Path are the ones that still make RPG books and license the IP from White Wolf, and a lot of them are old hands from White-Wolf-The-RPG-Developers-Of-Yore.

I Am Just a Box
Jul 20, 2011

MonsieurChoc posted:

OPP did Beast though.

Beast: the Primordial has all kinds of problems with it but "published a bad book with mixed up messaging" doesn't rate in the same breath as "gave work and praise to a serial harrassment coordinator."

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer

Axelgear posted:

Why would you ghoul a Nazi?

His mask is monster, I told him I'd give him a blood beat (stole arcane beats from mage) and a willpower refresh if he turned the Nazi into a blood junkie instead of straight up killing him. Now they have a highly placed agent in one of the fascist movements in the city.

He may not spend the xp to pick the guy up as a retainer or ally and just leave him as a blood junkie.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

I Am Just a Box posted:

Beast: the Primordial has all kinds of problems with it but "published a bad book with mixed up messaging" doesn't rate in the same breath as "gave work and praise to a serial harrassment coordinator."

I know, I was just trying to be funny.

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

If anyone's interested I'm hoping to run a Discord or Roll20 game of Hunter, set on the eastern Chesapeake shore after the Ash Wednesday Storm of 1962. Sign up if you're feeling like investigating a murder and also possibly being murdered!

FurtherReading
Sep 4, 2007

Basic Chunnel posted:

Sure but the Horror Recognition Guide (which I guess came after Strix but before any of the other CoD splats?) certainly seemed to indicate that the Strix become the people they possess to some extent. Or at least the Gnosopharm fiction has a Strix dude refusing to kill a hunter because a guy who the mage he was possessing possessed in the past was her husband and he caught that sentiment?

I actually read that story the other day and that connection was a once off twist. It was possessing her husband's corpse and the feelings were a side effect of the Batch12 that the Seer had been feeding her husband. The Strix was all pissed off that his vessel's heart was infecting him and part of the reason for telling her to gently caress off was to stop those feelings.

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

I wanna be a saikyo HERO!

MachineIV posted:

I might be doing some writing stuff still. Dunno. We'll see.

Sorry to hear about what happened, it looked amazingly lovely even with only being able to see the surface level of what was going on. (And still is, I suppose.)

FurtherReading
Sep 4, 2007

MachineIV posted:

Yeah. It's me. Friend got me an account. And, I figure, at very least I can waste Zak's time making more ridiculous Glenn Beck association charts if I post here.

Thank you.

I love your work man, just picked up V20 Dark Ages actually just because people here pointed out your involvement.

If another project involving you ends up on kickstarter you've got a pledge from me.

MachineIV
Feb 28, 2017

Further Reading posted:

I love your work man, just picked up V20 Dark Ages actually just because people here pointed out your involvement.

If another project involving you ends up on kickstarter you've got a pledge from me.

Thanks. V20DA was a huge labor of love. I've heard some people tell me it was their single favorite edition of Masquerade, which is high praise.

I'm doing a thing. It's going to be kind of weird in structure because I'm tired of just doing the same old poo poo, so it'll be a Patreon thing.

MalcolmSheppard
Jun 24, 2012
MATTHEW 7:20

Further Reading posted:

I actually read that story the other day and that connection was a once off twist. It was possessing her husband's corpse and the feelings were a side effect of the Batch12 that the Seer had been feeding her husband. The Strix was all pissed off that his vessel's heart was infecting him and part of the reason for telling her to gently caress off was to stop those feelings.

Man. I wrote that but my memories of it are pretty sketchy. But in fiction I am generally for theme and storytelling over strict game replay stuff. The Strix weren't really set in stone at the time and vampires worked differently.

Archonex
May 2, 2012

MY OPINION IS SEERS OF THE THRONE PROPAGANDA IGNORE MY GNOSIS-IMPAIRED RAMBLINGS

MachineIV posted:

Thank you.

It really sucks that you had to go through all that poo poo.

Let us know if you get that indie project released. I'm sure a bunch of goons would be interested in picking it up. Especially given your tweets regarding your project ideas.

Agent Rush
Aug 30, 2008

You looked, Junker!

MachineIV posted:

Thanks. V20DA was a huge labor of love. I've heard some people tell me it was their single favorite edition of Masquerade, which is high praise.

I'm doing a thing. It's going to be kind of weird in structure because I'm tired of just doing the same old poo poo, so it'll be a Patreon thing.

I'm sorry about your situation as well.

Glad to hear you're still writing though, drop a link when your new project is ready.

Slimnoid
Sep 6, 2012

Does that mean I don't get the job?

MachineIV posted:

Thank you.

Welcome to the cesspit, David.

MalcolmSheppard
Jun 24, 2012
MATTHEW 7:20

Emy posted:

That was White Wolf (mostly an IP holding company, subsidiary of Paradox Interactive, the same legal entity but not the same people as the White Wolf that published a bunch of RPG books). Onyx Path are the ones that still make RPG books and license the IP from White Wolf, and a lot of them are old hands from White-Wolf-The-RPG-Developers-Of-Yore.

It's funny because there aren't *really* a lot of old hands. Rich Thomas, Mike Chaney and Phil Brucato (and sometimes John Snead, because he's been everywhere forever, and Rich Dansky, because he's doing Wraith now, at the best pace possible) are the oldest of the old, I guess. I *think* Matt McFarland has some credits from the 1990s, but the bulk of his WW work was in the 2000s. Rose and Eddy are from the post-merger era and got to know the company as a more-than-tabletop thing. (Note that in all of this, I'm not talking about experience with other companies/IPs, which would complicate the discussion considerably.) The fact is, Onyx Path has been pretty good about finding new people interested in working in games, and their perspectives are as contemporary as anything you'd find in another company. Folks like Neall, Dave, Danielle and a bunch of other developers and writers are doing exciting things and were never substantially "old White Wolf." It's a good mix of people.

But of course, there's a licensing partner that is, perhaps, thinking at right angles to the body of craft that people from various eras have developed. That means, for example, that some radical stuff I might have wanted to do in [REDACTED] wasn't allowed, because of an editorial policy that back when I started with "old White Wolf" had been dropped for not working properly. (There's also a question of what kind of competencies are in force at the top level, which is something I don't know a drat thing about.) Plus there are the various time, space and budget constraints that keep the full potential of my tremendously creative colleagues from flowering quite as much as they should.

Companies try various things to avoid stagnation, like looking for new folks to get things done. That's fine. But its a mischaracterization to label Onyx Path as "nostalgia" company that doesn't have the people or capacity for that--indeed, in many cases, folks working there have had to restrain themselves.

Dave Brookshaw
Jun 27, 2012

No Regrets

MalcolmSheppard posted:

It's funny because there aren't *really* a lot of old hands. Rich Thomas, Mike Chaney and Phil Brucato (and sometimes John Snead, because he's been everywhere forever, and Rich Dansky, because he's doing Wraith now, at the best pace possible) are the oldest of the old, I guess. I *think* Matt McFarland has some credits from the 1990s, but the bulk of his WW work was in the 2000s. Rose and Eddy are from the post-merger era and got to know the company as a more-than-tabletop thing. (Note that in all of this, I'm not talking about experience with other companies/IPs, which would complicate the discussion considerably.) The fact is, Onyx Path has been pretty good about finding new people interested in working in games, and their perspectives are as contemporary as anything you'd find in another company. Folks like Neall, Dave, Danielle and a bunch of other developers and writers are doing exciting things and were never substantially "old White Wolf." It's a good mix of people.

But of course, there's a licensing partner that is, perhaps, thinking at right angles to the body of craft that people from various eras have developed. That means, for example, that some radical stuff I might have wanted to do in [REDACTED] wasn't allowed, because of an editorial policy that back when I started with "old White Wolf" had been dropped for not working properly. (There's also a question of what kind of competencies are in force at the top level, which is something I don't know a drat thing about.) Plus there are the various time, space and budget constraints that keep the full potential of my tremendously creative colleagues from flowering quite as much as they should.

Companies try various things to avoid stagnation, like looking for new folks to get things done. That's fine. But its a mischaracterization to label Onyx Path as "nostalgia" company that doesn't have the people or capacity for that--indeed, in many cases, folks working there have had to restrain themselves.

Yeah, so my first paycheque came from White Wolf Publishing, and my second from "CCP North America". I started freelancing in the tail end of the merger.

In many ways, the Chronicles second editions represent the limit to which we could push the games under CCP, while Storypath (the Scion and Trinity system) is what we design when no longer giving a crap about maintaining legacy mechanics beyond dots and d10s. I know both Stew and I thought of Storypath as a chance to stretch ourselves, and Malcolm spent a lot of time aiming at WoD Sacred Cows.

Barbed Tongues
Mar 16, 2012

Anyone know if there are any Aerial Fighting Styles for use by flying characters in Chronicles? Hurt Locker notes had Falconry, but that's more using a bird buddy - not actually having wings yourself.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.
How well does a OPP WW game translate to PbP?

Dave Brookshaw posted:

Yeah, so my first paycheque came from White Wolf Publishing, and my second from "CCP North America". I started freelancing in the tail end of the merger.

In many ways, the Chronicles second editions represent the limit to which we could push the games under CCP, while Storypath (the Scion and Trinity system) is what we design when no longer giving a crap about maintaining legacy mechanics beyond dots and d10s. I know both Stew and I thought of Storypath as a chance to stretch ourselves, and Malcolm spent a lot of time aiming at WoD Sacred Cows.

Interesting. I'm kind of surprised that people at OPP aren't more concerned with keeping legacy mechanics considering, well, they kind of revived a dead company's intellectual prosperities. One would assume some attachment to legacy for a group who took such measures. Is it the kind of mindset where you're more open to reviving the narrative (or, just the basic concepts) and the mechanics can be discarded as need be to fit that former goal?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flavivirus
Dec 14, 2011

The next stage of evolution.

Covok posted:

Interesting. I'm kind of surprised that people at OPP aren't more concerned with keeping legacy mechanics considering, well, they kind of revived a dead company's intellectual prosperities.

I don't think this is a fair assessment - as far as I know there's been a continuity of people working on WoD products all the way from White Wolf to CCP to Onyx Path to nuWW. The name of the group making the book may have changed but there was never really a point where there was a dead company to revive the IP of.