Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

xzzy posted:

Hood mounted mirrors: good

Shift knob so close to console you bang your knuckles every time you move into 3rd: bad

Nav screen nowhere near your line of sight while driving: bad

Cigarette lighter: pain in the rear end spot to plug in my star trek communicator

Beefy sliders for climate controls: gently caress yeah

edit: and that engine. :stare:

exterior here:

http://oldconceptcars.com/1930-2004/nissan-nrv-ii-concept-b11-1983/

Is that engine from that car? It doesn't match up with the beyond 2000 video and it looks more like it's under a rear hatch or something maybe?

Also yeah last time I was in Japan in 2009 I saw a lot of people smoking in their cars. It seemed like at that time like a lot of places were moving toward public smoking being less tolerated as it seemed to change between my visit in 2008 and 2009.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Artemis J Brassnuts
Jan 2, 2009
I regret😢 to inform📢 I am the most sexually🍆 vanilla 🍦straight 📏 dude😰 on the planet🌎

Preoptopus posted:

Whatever happened to entry level super cars starting at 120k? Or is that just a price reserved for luxo barges now.
In addition to what's already been said, I think the thing to keep in mind is that $20k base-model sedans can outperform a lot of supercars from years past. We don't really think of cars as impressive these days unless they're pushing 500hp, but an STI or a modern v8 mustang is going to make a Muira (wikipedia says the inflation-adjusted price of one when new was about $120k) look slow on the track AND be more luxurious doing it. You may not look as good or feel as special, but the performance per dollar is hard to argue with.

KozmoNaut posted:

I don't think it's exactly the same process, but Artisan Dice is using "filament wound" carbon fiber to make RPG dice for hypernerds.
My wedding ring is filament-wound carbon fiber; got it from some guy in Arizona for like $40. It's amazing how little it weighs and it's incredibly durable (though it does scuff up things pretty badly if you're not carful).

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Artemis J Brassnuts posted:

In addition to what's already been said, I think the thing to keep in mind is that $20k base-model sedans can outperform a lot of supercars from years past. We don't really think of cars as impressive these days unless they're pushing 500hp, but an STI or a modern v8 mustang is going to make a Muira (wikipedia says the inflation-adjusted price of one when new was about $120k) look slow on the track AND be more luxurious doing it. You may not look as good or feel as special, but the performance per dollar is hard to argue with.

Feh, forget about something from the 60s like the Miura. An $80,000 Corvette Z06 outperforms an $800,000 (adjusted dollars) Ferrari F40, the ultimate boy's-room-poster-car of 1990, in every single performance metric. That's only 25 years for the price of a given level of performance to be cut by more than 90%. It's insane.

Puddin
Apr 9, 2004
Leave it to Brak
It's probably me being insane, but if I had a choice of a new fast car or an old fast car, I'd take the old one.

There's something about having a brash, hard to drive powerful car that's just much more rewarding.

They just have more character to me.

Also there's nothing like 90's turbo lag, that thump when it come on boost is just so intoxicating.

Falken
Jan 26, 2004

Do you feel like a hero yet?

Puddin posted:

It's probably me being insane, but if I had a choice of a new fast car or an old fast car, I'd take the old one.

There's something about having a brash, hard to drive powerful car that's just much more rewarding.

They just have more character to me.

Also there's nothing like 90's turbo lag, that thump when it come on boost is just so intoxicating.
See I have been driving either my fiancees fiat 500, or my dads Range Rover (2003 TDi) over the winter, and yesterday I drove my 944 S2 to my parents house for dinner. Even though it has a mere 200hp, it feels fast, and more importantly: FUN!

Would I like a bit more power? Probably. But, seeing how in my area of Scotland, theres alot of speed cameras, and my drive up the A9 to see friends in Inverness has 200 miles of uninterrupted average speed cameras now (boo) clocked in for 60mph... It's harder and harder to put even the admittedly low HP down that I have. Let alone an STi or Mustang.

slothrop
Dec 7, 2006

Santa Alpha, Fox One... Gifts Incoming ~~~>===|>

Soiled Meat

Falken posted:

200 miles of uninterrupted average speed cameras

imagine a boot stamping on a human face — forever

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

I drove from Glasgow to Fort William last year, there were loads of camera signs but no actual cameras. And some of the roads up there are lush, pity I was in a Kia rental car.

stump
Jan 19, 2006

You know the dual carriage way bits (the proper dualled bits, not the 2+1 sections) of the A9 north of Perth aren't monitored yeah?

Honestly I don't mind the average speed cameras, even if I hate them in principle. On average my journey times have been quicker, although certainly not as quick I used to sometimes do it before the cameras there are far less grindingly slow trips - admittedly I think that is more to do with upping the HGV speed to 50 than the cameras.

It's always been a boring road anyway, there are plenty of good alternative options if you have the time - back when I lived near Stirling I found going via Trinafour and Killin was much more fun and no slower if you drove keenly.

Edit:
^There doesn't seem to be as many mobile cameras in Glencoe as there used to be. There aren't any fixed cameras I can think of west of the a9 / north of Glasgow - it's the vans and unmarked/marked patrols you need to look out for.

The borders always seemed worse - I've gotten tickets on Soutra and on the a7, and the a9 at dunblane in my younger stupider days, but never in the highlands despite typically driving quicker up there.

stump fucked around with this message at 13:31 on Mar 6, 2017

slothrop
Dec 7, 2006

Soiled Meat
I think this Civic was posted earlier racing at Bathurst, here it is in Adelaide dueling with an AE86.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NMcN6SQrtcw

I don't know the first thing about "Improved Production" but my initial impression is :perfect:

Blacknose
Jul 28, 2006

Meet frustration face to face
A point of view creates more waves
So lose some sleep and say you tried

Olympic Mathlete posted:

I drove from Glasgow to Fort William last year, there were loads of camera signs but no actual cameras. And some of the roads up there are lush, pity I was in a Kia rental car.

A bunch of us (4 cars) did Edinburgh to Skye cross-country last year and the roads were incredible.I did not let driving a 15 year old Citroen Dispatch with 3 of us in it ruin the experience, although I did have to elbow my passengers out the way every time I wanted 2nd and there was a left switchback.

Falken
Jan 26, 2004

Do you feel like a hero yet?

stump posted:

The borders always seemed worse - I've gotten tickets on Soutra and on the a7, and the a9 at dunblane in my younger stupider days, but never in the highlands despite typically driving quicker up there.
Yeah, I live in Galashiels. The A7 road up to Edinburgh is surprisingly sparse on speed cameras, considering how often I hear ambulances rocking up past my house (I live on the A7, less than a mile from the exit of Gala) to respond to a crash.

stump
Jan 19, 2006

Blacknose posted:

A bunch of us (4 cars) did Edinburgh to Skye cross-country last year and the roads were incredible.I did not let driving a 15 year old Citroen Dispatch with 3 of us in it ruin the experience, although I did have to elbow my passengers out the way every time I wanted 2nd and there was a left switchback.

Yeah it's a brilliant drive - I go Uist monthly and the drive up from Dundee is great once you leave the a9 at Dalwhinnie, the road across the Spean Bridge, and later on the over the hill leaving from Inveraray are some of my favourite roads in any car.

Falken posted:

Yeah, I live in Galashiels. The A7 road up to Edinburgh is surprisingly sparse on speed cameras, considering how often I hear ambulances rocking up past my house (I live on the A7, less than a mile from the exit of Gala) to respond to a crash.

I've seen plenty of silly driving on the a7, and the a68 is even worse. I was really stupid to get caught on the a7, driving north through Stow bang on 30, see the NSL sign in the distance with only one house left and boot it, suddenly I see a camera van parked in a layby right bedside the NSL sign which had been hidden by a hedge.

stump fucked around with this message at 15:28 on Mar 6, 2017

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006
Gather round, one and all, and thrill to my turgid tales of underwhelming misadventure!

NoWake posted:

That's not to say people blow smoke in your face, in my experience everyone was incredibly polite. Even outdoors, people would step away from their group to have a smoke, then put their butts out in a pocket ashtray instead of flicking them on the ground.

I really wish people in the US would use the ashtrays in their cars, or at least keep a coffee mug in cup holder to stash their butts. Flicking them out in traffic is so trashy, and makes me want to throw something back. I know your butts look gross and smell up the car, but your smoking does that too.

Oh, they are so insanely polite, save for a handful of 20somethings who I saw, gasp, throw their butts on the ground in Tokyo.

What blew me away was the smoking in arcades, pachinko parlors, and smoking sections in restaurants.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

MetaJew posted:

Oh, they are so insanely polite, save for a handful of 20somethings who I saw, gasp, throw their butts on the ground in Tokyo.

What blew me away was the smoking in arcades, pachinko parlors, and smoking sections in restaurants.

There used to be an arcade in Orlando (Rocky's Replay for the locals) that sold beer and allowed smoking inside. They sold some bar food, but it was really almost entirely arcade, moreso than ie Dave and Busters. I don't smoke anymore but it was the best poo poo up til they closed around 08-09.

I still remember the big flap when they axed smoking in restaurants around 02 or whenever. People cared so much, but drat it's a nicer experience without.

E: For vaguely AI content, my primary game at Rocky's was Wangan Midnight Maximum Tune. I must have spent at least a thousand over the years getting my cars maxed out, that game was fun as hell.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

MetaJew posted:

It sort of blows my mind that there are so many retirees in Japan whose entire day supposedly consists of sitting in front of a mahjongg candy cab in a Namco arcade and burning pack after pack of cigarettes all day.

Dagen H
Mar 19, 2009

Hogertrafikomlaggningen

Seat Safety Switch posted:

...sitting in front of a mahjongg candy cab in a Namco arcade and burning pack after pack of cigarettes all day.

I don't smoke anymore, but this sounds fabulous.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I worked in a bar when the smoking ban came down and as a non smoker it was loving glorious.

slothrop
Dec 7, 2006

Soiled Meat

Rhyno posted:

I worked in a bar when the smoking ban came down and as a non smoker it was loving glorious.

Same. Not coming home reeking for smoke in your clothes and hair was the best surprise

TWSS
Jun 19, 2008

Japan was loving Gloriousth. Two weeks wasn't enough to scratch the surface and I'm already planning another trip. Definitely hit up Yoshi at fun2drive for the AI weeaboo experience of your dreams, MY GIRLFRIEND is leaning on the car because she was so terrified of driving triple the speed limit following the tour guide's sti-swapped legacy gt.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

^^ *adds to list*

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

:siren: NEW EPISODE OF PROJECT BINKY ON THE WAY :siren:

https://twitter.com/badobsessionmsp/status/839034130092417024

KingPave
Jul 18, 2007
eeee!~

slothrop posted:

I think this Civic was posted earlier racing at Bathurst, here it is in Adelaide dueling with an AE86.

I don't know the first thing about "Improved Production" but my initial impression is :perfect:

He is an incredible driver, seriously seriously good.

Dr. Garbanzo
Sep 14, 2010

slothrop posted:

I think improved production is minor engine stuff along with suspension but most of the other kit is basically the same. That civic is pretty special and having driven across the top of Mt Panorama that guy has bigger balls than I. It's not too bad until you start coming back off the top and the walls close ever close as you get closer to Conrod

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

KingPave posted:

He is an incredible driver, seriously seriously good.

This is incredible racing.

travisray2004
Dec 2, 2004
SuprMan

A new Binky video always makes my week.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

TWSS posted:

Japan was loving Gloriousth. Two weeks wasn't enough to scratch the surface and I'm already planning another trip. Definitely hit up Yoshi at fun2drive for the AI weeaboo experience of your dreams, MY GIRLFRIEND is leaning on the car because she was so terrified of driving triple the speed limit following the tour guide's sti-swapped legacy gt.

Hahahaha, gently caress yes. I'd found this company a couple months ago and couldn't find anyone that had actually done it. Time to commit.

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006
Gather round, one and all, and thrill to my turgid tales of underwhelming misadventure!

TWSS posted:

I need more info, because after 2ish weeks in Japan I want to go back.

TWSS
Jun 19, 2008
As a dirty foreigner you must pay a premium with your first rental for you will surely do disgusting things like eat or drink in the car. Your subsequent rentals will be normal price. You will need an international driver's licence and there is no insurance. You sign a contract agreeing to reimburse fun2drive for the full value of the car if you crash (around $5000USD for the AE86). When I went, literally a year ago today, somebody wrecked an r33 or r32 gtr a few weeks prior and a guy destroyed an AE86 a few months prior to that.

Yoshi has many fine cars to choose from (lotus elise, super 7 and r35 were out on rental that day)

Not a car you want to pay to crash

STI

Tour comes complete with ring bound laminated stills to set the scene

This girl made her drifter friend stop so she could take a video of me and the car while yelling a lot. Who knows maybe I trended on Japanese social media that day. That jzx90 did a pretty outrageous burnout on its way out of the lot.

The locals were very kind

Before you do it I would make sure you're comfortable shifting with your left hand (I bought a TH8A for my t500rs sim setup and did a lot of practice in assetto corsa). Also, there are no curbs only 3 foot deep concrete drainage ditches that are wider than the wheel. Lose control and you wreck the car. I would highly recommend the tour, as I drove way faster keeping up with yoshi than I would have been comfortable driving on my own. I saw a lot of really cool cars including a Porsche club led by a straight piped 356 that bombed past us as we were on the uphill. I caused some traffic on the uphill sections, but on the downhill sections it was foot to floor and following yoshi's line we were able to pull away from some much more powerful cars. Hakone is also incredibly beautiful and I highly recommend staying somewhere with an onsen.

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

FLIGHT SAFETY TIP: Fatties out first

ishikabibble posted:

...CFRP is carbon fiber :v:

The i3 is made using the same layup methods as the i8 and every other thing made from carbon fiber. The chopped carbon fiber/forged composite stuff is exclusively Lamborghini and Calloway far as I can tell, since it was developed in conjunction between them at a laboratory in Seattle that Lamborghini owns. I haven't seen anything about McLaren using the technology or similar besides citing a cut in production time thanks to unspecified new manufacturing techniques.

To add to this, Boeing and Lamborghini worked together with academia to develop the forged composite process, and in fact Boeing makes the window frames for the 787 out of the stuff. So if it's good enough to satisfy the pathologically conservative aviation authorities in one of the highest-stress components of a passenger aircraft, then it should be good enough for practically any application you can dream up for it.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
Haha, I'd definitely have done that if it'd been available when I went over there last. Assuming my name didn't result in a "how about no..."

*Looks up vehicle shipping rates and statute of limitations on car theft in Japanese law*

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

TWSS posted:

You sign a contract agreeing to reimburse fun2drive for the full value of the car if you crash (around $5000USD for the AE86).

I would not have the balls to do this, kudos to you.

Wait, that cars only worth 5k?

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

cakesmith handyman posted:

I would not have the balls to do this, kudos to you.

Wait, that cars only worth 5k?

It's Japan.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
I'd hope you get to keep it if you manage to miss your storm drain inner wheel placement during a touge race and are required to pay for it.

That looks loving awesome, I'll be doing it too. Bucket list.

BlackMK4 fucked around with this message at 22:42 on Mar 7, 2017

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
gently caress it, I'll reimburse them that without even thinking about it. That's seriously cheap.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Yeah, can you kick the fender and pay $5000 to get the car? :v:

mekilljoydammit
Jan 28, 2016

Me have motors that scream to 10,000rpm. Me have more cars than Pick and Pull

MrChips posted:

To add to this, Boeing and Lamborghini worked together with academia to develop the forged composite process, and in fact Boeing makes the window frames for the 787 out of the stuff. So if it's good enough to satisfy the pathologically conservative aviation authorities in one of the highest-stress components of a passenger aircraft, then it should be good enough for practically any application you can dream up for it.

The first thing that I found googling it gets to talking about comparing forged carbon composite vs 2x2 twill prepreg and stitched RTM layups, both setup to be "quasi-isotropic". In that, they claim the forged composite, in an abstract touting it, has about a third the tensile strength of either the prepreg or RTM layups, but most of the tensile modulus (the prepreg layup was about 20% stiffer but whatever) Quasi-isotropic layups are what you'd see in an 80s vintage F-1 tub, where they're just using twill weave fabric layers and building it up - as I said, modern use unidirectional layups that aren't trying to be isotropic. Unidirectional prepreg, loaded along its axis, is around 2.5x as strong as the figure given for the quasi-isotropic prepreg layup, and around 3x as stiff as the prepreg, or 4x as stiff as the RTM or forged carbon layups. You can go google your own sources if you want to dispute the numbers - all of the ones I'm using are for actual layups, not just raw fibers.

Now, that said, the numbers given for the forged carbon, in the paper touting it, have it about as strong as 6061 aluminum per volume, so stronger per weight. That's still pretty useful. But just to bring things back around...

Bape Culture posted:

They reckon it's lighter and stronger but I don't see how. The strength in from the overlapping fibres. A load of chips suspended in resin how does it have anything like the strength? We must have a materials engineer on here some place. Please explain it as if I were a child.

Again, as I pointed out before and here again, it isn't stronger and lighter.

Somewhat Heroic
Oct 11, 2007

(Insert Mad Max related text)

That looks and sounds amazing. Did you get the full experience with a load of tofu in the car that got you disqualified if it was ruined when you got to your destination?

TWSS
Jun 19, 2008

Somewhat Heroic posted:

That looks and sounds amazing. Did you get the full experience with a load of tofu in the car that got you disqualified if it was ruined when you got to your destination?

NO FOOD OR DRINK ALLOWED INSIDE THE CAR! Drivers and passengers must wash hands after eating before returning to the car.

To the others that were asking, no, if you destroy the car you pay them the moneys, they keep the totaled car and then you leave with nothing but a sense of shame for having destroyed a national treasure. I'm not sure how minor damage is dealt with, but yoshi told me the r34 goes through several drivers side mirrors a year due to americans going too tight on left handers.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
How good are their cars? Really nicely maintained and tight, or superficially clean but a bit tired?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TWSS
Jun 19, 2008

InitialDave posted:

How good are their cars? Really nicely maintained and tight, or superficially clean but a bit tired?

The car was initially red as you can see from the interior shot and the watanabes definitely came off the other wrecked car, but it had exceptional brakes, yoko AD08r tires and a week old clutch. The NSX, hakosuka and kenmeri were all immaculate, but i only drove the AE86 so I can't really comment on the others.