Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

I'M CONCERNED ABOUT A NUMBER OF THINGS
how long before they go full BCCI and ban electronic devices from games lest a grainy, unsteady 30s clip of a goal end up on facebook?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Paracausal
Sep 5, 2011

Oh yeah, baby. Frame your suffering as a masterpiece. Only one problem - no one's watching. It's boring, buddy, boring as death.
Surely there were cops on hand that could put uppity security in their place.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

TG-Chrono posted:

Didn't actually see any cops all game. I'll put the photos I did get up later tonight.

gay picnic defence posted:

how long before they go full BCCI and ban electronic devices from games lest a grainy, unsteady 30s clip of a goal end up on facebook?
I give it five years

The Deadly Hume
May 26, 2004

Let's get a little crazy. Let's have some fun.

NTRabbit posted:

I got hassled by security in the last quarter because I was taking photos with my mirrorless camera, came up and asked me who I represented, was I working tonight, then told me it was illegal to take photos, and that if I didn't put it away it'd be confiscated.

Told him the difference between breaking the conditions of entry and the law, explained the rule was for commercial grade cameras which mine was not, and that a guy from Weslo doesn't actually have the right to confiscate a feeling let alone a camera, but he wouldn't leave until I put it away and I wanted to watch the game.

gently caress the AFL.
Gotta love hi-vis hitlers. A couple of years back I went to one of those winery gigs, with an actual plastic seat up front, and even though there were things periodically splashed up on the jumbotron saying you could at least dance in front of your seat, some goon made it his business to try and get everyone sit down like good little boys and girls until Tim Rogers, who saw all this going on from the stage, told him to back the gently caress off.

I loving hate winery gigs.

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Baby you can shout at me,
But you can't need my eyes.

TG-Chrono posted:

cops being well known for their dislike of the public being harassed for no good reason

Periphery
Jul 27, 2003
Umpire throws ball in. Throw is short. Ball hits a crows player in the back (he's watching the ruckmen and not the ball). Umpire pays a free against the crows as per the new no third man up rules.

:suicide:

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib
Yeah, new rule is bad.

Cost Carlton a goal yesterday in the aflw because the ball was thrown over the two rucks and another player tapped the ball. What are they going to do, let it drop on the ground? It is even worse in aflw because if it is supposed to fix congestion around ballups, guess what? There are 4 less players on the field.

Periphery
Jul 27, 2003

drunkill posted:

Yeah, new rule is bad.

Cost Carlton a goal yesterday in the aflw because the ball was thrown over the two rucks and another player tapped the ball. What are they going to do, let it drop on the ground? It is even worse in aflw because if it is supposed to fix congestion around ballups, guess what? There are 4 less players on the field.

That's exactly what they are supposed to do. Once the ball hits the ground it's free game. I kinda get it if the player is aware the ball is coming towards them and they choose to tap it, but it's ridiculous to ping a player that had no idea the ball was going to hit them and assumed the umpire would be able to do their job.

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib
Sure. They're aupposed to do that but it is dumb.

The game is about controlling the football, except for this little moment.

hiddenmovement
Sep 29, 2011

"Most mornings I'll apologise in advance to my wife."

drunkill posted:

Sure. They're aupposed to do that but it is dumb.

The game is about controlling the football, except for this little moment.

Are you allowed to take possession?

realbez
Mar 23, 2005

Fun Shoe
No you aren't allowed to touch it in any way until it has touched the ground

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

League enforced CHAOS BALL!!!

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

I'M CONCERNED ABOUT A NUMBER OF THINGS
Today I found out that Ellie Blackburn works at my local Aldi

Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

I demand to be taken seriously

:aronrex:

Periphery posted:

Umpire throws ball in. Throw is short. Ball hits a crows player in the back (he's watching the ruckmen and not the ball). Umpire pays a free against the crows as per the new no third man up rules.

:suicide:

Yeah, I've seen it in the Women's matches where if there is a poo poo throw then the players have to mill around like morons and not touch it because they're not the nominated rucks.

The Deadly Hume
May 26, 2004

BTW I'm slowly getting my numberwang site up to speed for the new season. It's currently in AFLW mode because why not.

pkid
Jan 30, 2005

I was raised on the dairy, BITCH!
I know he is only 19 and we've only played 2 practice games but I've been so impressed by what I've seen from Daniel Rioli this year.
His tackling has been great (a small forward who can tackle, at Richmond?!), he has great goal sense and he has been bobbing up all over the ground - he appears to have very good cardio endurance.

Really excited to see how he starts the year off.

Spedman
Mar 12, 2010

Kangaroos hate Hasselblads
Sadly it looks like a young guy has died after collapsing during a game in Perth, playing footy in 38C heat is just crazy, its bad enough trying to play cricket in those temps

http://www.theage.com.au/wa-news/young-perth-footballer-dies-after-midgame-collapse-20170305-guqzzf.html

hiddenmovement
Sep 29, 2011

"Most mornings I'll apologise in advance to my wife."
There's always one of those every year it seems. There's that attitude of harden up going into training sessions and some guys just push themselves beyond what they are capable just to keep up. That coulda easily been me.

Or maybe he just had a preexisting heart condition he didn't know about and got unlucky.

Spedman
Mar 12, 2010

It sounded like his heart just gave up on him in the extreme heat, even the BOM said don't play footy between 11:30 and 4:30.

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib
:toot:

https://twitter.com/aflwomens/status/838890724850466817
https://twitter.com/CarltonFC/status/838654642225463296

Edit: Nat Exon broke her foot though, out for the season :sad:
https://twitter.com/Neroli_M_FOX/status/838953967530881024

drunkill fucked around with this message at 06:29 on Mar 7, 2017

thepokey
Jul 20, 2004

Let me start off with a basket of chips. Then move on to the pollo asado taco.
Not strictly footy related but I was just sat opposite Tegan Higginbotham on the train for 2 stops. Just told her I thought her input in helping to present and promote the Women's League was really awesome, even for a Carlton fan. She was super nice and seemed genuinely happy someone acknowledged it so that was a nice little thing for today!

tnimark
Dec 22, 2009
The TAC is ending its relationship with Geelong.

snaeksikn
Feb 28, 2010

:qq::qq::qq::qq::qq::qq::qq:

tnimark posted:

over selwood? you'd think theyd learn to just stop sponsoring footy clubs

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Political Correctness Gone Mad

The Deadly Hume
May 26, 2004

I only realised today Cotton On were the apparel supplier for the AFLW. Huh.

Nutsngum
Oct 9, 2004

I don't think it's nice, you laughing.

tnimark posted:

Considering the TAC should be a non profit organisation in the first place its ridiculous they can even be a specific club sponsor.

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Nutsngum posted:

Considering the TAC should be a non profit organisation in the first place its ridiculous they can even be a specific club sponsor.

Why?

realbez
Mar 23, 2005

Fun Shoe
That's like saying the TAC shouldn't be allowed to advertise

Spedman
Mar 12, 2010

Nutsngum posted:

A big part of their work is getting safe driving messages out to the community

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib

The Deadly Hume posted:

I only realised today Cotton On were the apparel supplier for the AFLW. Huh.

Yeah I didn't know who COAR were either until like week 3 of the season.

Cotton on active range. Apparently they're moving their distribution centre to avalon airport (given there is nothing else there since government aircraft clfacyories closed down) so again, strongly geelong focused.

Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

I demand to be taken seriously

:aronrex:

tnimark posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FfvGECYB6Gs

TAC told Geelong that they would drop them if they had one more incident after Smedts got busted and the captain getting busted 27/kms over the speed limit will do that. Should have ducked down a side street or something

Nutsngum
Oct 9, 2004

I don't think it's nice, you laughing.

Because its a mandated government setup service designed to provide personal injury protection to people in motor vehicle accidents. Apart from the fact that they now cap payments which fucks people long term the very idea of them making profit instead of doing the job they are setup to do is wrong in my opinion.

Spedman posted:

A big part of their work is getting safe driving messages out to the community

Perhaps they should come out with something a bit better then "oh, lets just have ZERO DEATHS GUYS OKAY?"

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Nutsngum posted:

Because its a mandated government setup service designed to provide personal injury protection to people in motor vehicle accidents. Apart from the fact that they now cap payments which fucks people long term the very idea of them making profit instead of doing the job they are setup to do is wrong in my opinion.

Perhaps they should come out with something a bit better then "oh, lets just have ZERO DEATHS GUYS OKAY?"

How does their sponsorship of a team relate in any way to their profit status? It's part of an awareness campaign which is their other major duty.

Your last point is way off the mark given the TAC has done some of the most sticky public awareness advertising ever which has been ingrained in wider culture and been adapted for use overseas.

From a more cynical point of view I'd say the TAC views incidents like this as a side benefit of sponsoring teams made up of dumb invincible young men, they get to terminate the agreement early, keep some of the cash, and put road safety in the news with the message that unsafe driving isn't acceptable and even if you don't crash, even if you're an AFL captain, there are consequences to being a dickhead.

Solemn Sloth fucked around with this message at 22:17 on Mar 7, 2017

pkid
Jan 30, 2005

You'd think that going 27kph over the limit, losing your license and losing the club a major sponsor would lead to a player suspension from the leadership group right?
right?
guys?

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

pkid posted:

You'd think that going 27kph over the limit, losing your license and losing the club a major sponsor would lead to a player suspension from the leadership group right?
right?
guys?

But he's a good bloke

Paracausal
Sep 5, 2011

Oh yeah, baby. Frame your suffering as a masterpiece. Only one problem - no one's watching. It's boring, buddy, boring as death.

pkid posted:

right?
guys?

Good bloke credit.

I think people taking aim at the TAC are way off the mark. They use AFL players as prominent young males to try and set an example or standard for the wider community and peer circles to look up to. If the players fail at that, it's hardly wrong to correct that position through disassociation.

Divorced And Curious
Jan 23, 2009

democracy depends on sausage sizzles

drunkill posted:

Just hope they have 2 FTA games a week next year. And in 2019 when 1 or two more clubs join the competition it'll start to pick up steam with more supporters of existing clubs brought into the fold.

It's going to be interesting to see how loyalty goes in such cases. My brother in law is a lifelong Richmond fan who, after being justifiably disappointed that the Tigers didn't get a women's club, has since gotten fully on board the Lions train, and it looks like that's only going to escalate over the next few years. I wonder whether he'll continue supporting Brisbane once Richmond get their women's team in a few years' time.

pkid
Jan 30, 2005

Divorced And Curious posted:

It's going to be interesting to see how loyalty goes in such cases. My brother in law is a lifelong Richmond fan who, after being justifiably disappointed that the Tigers didn't get a women's club, has since gotten fully on board the Lions train, and it looks like that's only going to escalate over the next few years. I wonder whether he'll continue supporting Brisbane once Richmond get their women's team in a few years' time.

See I'm the opposite. I've given the women's game a cursory glance and had games on in the background but, as a Tigers supporter, I have no skin in the game and couldn't care less about who wins. Because I haven't paid close attention to the game I haven't really bothered to learn about any of the players either.

In saying that, of the games I have seen, I question how long it will be until Richmond gets a team because it doesn't look like there is enough talent about.
I'm worried that the women's game might end up skipping an entire generation of fans because they don't have a team to support.

Divorced And Curious
Jan 23, 2009

democracy depends on sausage sizzles
maybe the tigers were denied a team because coming 9th when there's only 8 teams in the competition is really difficult and requires some pretty advanced bending of the laws of mathematics

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

realbez
Mar 23, 2005

Fun Shoe

pkid posted:

See I'm the opposite. I've given the women's game a cursory glance and had games on in the background but, as a Tigers supporter, I have no skin in the game and couldn't care less about who wins. Because I haven't paid close attention to the game I haven't really bothered to learn about any of the players either.

In saying that, of the games I have seen, I question how long it will be until Richmond gets a team because it doesn't look like there is enough talent about.
I'm worried that the women's game might end up skipping an entire generation of fans because they don't have a team to support.

Yeah, obviously it makes sense not to have 18 AFLW teams, but since Hawthorn don't have a team I pretty much lost interest after the first couple of rounds. I said I would go for Brisbane but in reality idgaf. I'll watch the grand final, but I can't bring myself to care beyond a cursory interest. There is no solution to this problem, I just wish I had a team to support.

• Locked thread