Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Altared State
Jan 14, 2006

I think I was born to burn

vodkat posted:

As far as I remember there have been several pro skaters who have talked about being gay but its usually in a way that is more being alluded to in something like vice, knowing that most of the people reading it won't care about them being skater or that the 14 year old boys they sell boards to won't read it or get it rather than being super open about it in the skating press and with fans etc.

http://www.vice.com/video/ed-templeton-part-5

Altared State fucked around with this message at 01:09 on Oct 9, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tenterhooks
Jul 27, 2003

Bang Bang
Lots of messages hitting social media today suggesting that Dylan Rieder isn't doing very well, health-wise. Big love and best wishes to an extraordinary skateboarder who's had an undeniably massive influence on skateboarding's direction in recent years.

https://youtube.com/watch?v=Cts_HY8bZwU

sleppy
Dec 25, 2008

That has been popping up everywhere and I thought it was going to be some Gou Miyagi, but it's a pretty recent collab with a heavy focus on editing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2gaUbhSUEkg

The trailer has me wanting to spend $20 on a DVD, which is rare. Anyone seen it? I remember a few friends convincing me to throw in a dollar or two to watch cherry by Supreme, and it was just a mess to watch due to too much editing.

sleppy fucked around with this message at 00:08 on Oct 13, 2016

zelah
Dec 1, 2004

Diabetes, you are not invited to my pizza party.

Tenterhooks posted:

Lots of messages hitting social media today suggesting that Dylan Rieder isn't doing very well, health-wise. Big love and best wishes to an extraordinary skateboarder who's had an undeniably massive influence on skateboarding's direction in recent years.

https://youtube.com/watch?v=Cts_HY8bZwU

Died of leukemia. I'm so bummed.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?
gently caress that loving sucks. He was so burly. 😟

Schiavona
Oct 8, 2008

Goddamn, was it well known that he had leukemia?

dangerdoom volvo
Nov 5, 2009

Schiavona posted:

Goddamn, was it well known that he had leukemia?

i dont think he ever talked about it himself but he definitely disappeared from the spotlight a while back and everyone in the know said it was cancer. a while after cherry

Tenterhooks
Jul 27, 2003

Bang Bang
Yeah, it's been a "rumour" for a couple of years now but he never said anything publicly. He wasn't skating and looked really frail in some photos on Instagram which I guess served as confirmation that he was unwell. Pretty sad story about it here.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
i'm trying to sneak around
but i'm dummy thicc
and the clap of my ass cheeks
keeps alerting the guards!
Vaya con Dios handsome skate man.

Altared State
Jan 14, 2006

King of the Road 2016 teams

http://www.thrashermagazine.com/articles/king-of-the-road-2016-team-profiles/

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc
Nice. I love Gravette/Creature and the other two teams aint bad at all. I wonder if the weirdo timing on the last one or the Viceland stuff pushed out the other usual suspects.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc
I'm sure it'll show up but everyone please be on the lookout for whatever video project Tony Hawk did in this fuuuuuucking incredible Larry David make up for Halloween:

http://www.sbnation.com/lookit/2016/11/1/13489890/tony-hawk-larry-david-halloween-costume-so-good

straight up brolic
Jan 31, 2007

After all, I was nice in ball,
Came to practice weed scented
Report card like the speed limit

:homebrew::homebrew::homebrew:

Without Birdhouse as the alpha villains it just won't be the same

straight up brolic
Jan 31, 2007

everything kyle walker does in no other way is so freaking hectic.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A-xxdtZcXeE

one of the better aggro parts ever

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc
There's a sequel to "Criddler on the roof" by Jaws but I'm not gonna link it because all it did for me was made me realize I'm tired of watching Jaws jump off a roof. The only interesting parts are him doing lovely little lines on a roof before jumping off.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc
drat that vans video is good

straight up brolic
Jan 31, 2007

the hill bomb that Walker did around 7 minutes actually had me gripping the arms of my chair because I thought he was for sure going to take a massive slam/get hit by a car

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

Team, I feel like a massive traitor. I love skateboarding and watching skate videos, but lately I've been watching a poo poo load of BMX videos. I'm even planning to buy a BMX soon. What's happening to me?!

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

It's ok. I bought a BMX (again) this year:). It's both easier and harder. You'll fall less, but you'll fall harder.

UFOTacoMan
Sep 22, 2005

Thanks easter bunny!
bok bok!

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

ImplicitAssembler posted:

It's ok. I bought a BMX (again) this year:). It's both easier and harder. You'll fall less, but you'll fall harder.

Awesome/terrible. I've just fallen in love with biking over the last few years, so it just sort of makes sense. I've been hitting the dirt jumps near my place, but daylight savings has hosed me out of that, so I'll probably grab a BMX and spend the winter in an indoor park.

Should also buy another skateboard (mind got stolen out of my car), since I'll be paying a monthly membership to the park

Tenterhooks
Jul 27, 2003

Bang Bang

straight up brolic posted:

everything kyle walker does in no other way is so freaking hectic.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A-xxdtZcXeE

one of the better aggro parts ever

Gnarly enough to snatch SOTY right outta Evan Smith's hands.

Zigmidge
May 12, 2002

Exsqueeze me, why the sour face? I'm here to lemon aid you. Let's juice it.
Thread's been dead a while so here, have some japanese power grom action:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5I02YRy1COU

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc
Rise from the grave, thread!

Here's a tiny bit of Ishod tearing up transition:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lsDYZC4J8xM

He has a supernatural understanding of the physics of skateboarding and momentum.

In other news I made my wife watch a few mins of the Thrasher vid about Jaws attacking the Lyon 25 for a few days and it was finally enough to get her to say holy poo poo to some skateboarding.

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

Intel&Sebastian posted:

In other news I made my wife watch a few mins of the Thrasher vid about Jaws attacking the Lyon 25 for a few days and it was finally enough to get her to say holy poo poo to some skateboarding.

While I'm impressed with his ability to absorb hits, I actually think it's mostly stupid. Bigger isn't always better, at least not with the price he's paying for it.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc
Get it while you can I guess ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

His last release seemed to be dialing it back a bit, I think he's probably moved past the days of L25 and the LA Convention Center.

Hollenhammer
Dec 6, 2005

Personally I find this a touch more impressive
https://twitter.com/tonyhawk/status/827450871407456256

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc
Has any footage surfaced of tony hawk skating in his insanely well done Larry David makeup/outfit from last halloween?

UFOTacoMan
Sep 22, 2005

Thanks easter bunny!
bok bok!
At the local skate park yesterday, which is inside a regular park, a cop started hanging around with his K-9 in the parking lot. You should have seen how quickly the skate park cleared out once he was far enough from the skater cars. That's my story.

Also the Foundation Oddity video is really good: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qk3juySpiHc

barnold
Dec 16, 2011

what do u do when yuo're born to play fps? guess there's nothing left to do but play fps. boom headshot
quick question for ultra cool street skaters. just built a new setup yesterday but realized I hosed up at the shop and bought a set of Bones STF v2's that are 87b on the durometer scale. I was previously riding 78a's because I like to bomb hills and carve bowls and poo poo.

how hosed am I? should I go order a set of wheels around 78-86a right now? I'm concerned that the first time I drop in on a wooden clover that I'm going to start to carve one corner and have the loving thing just shoot out from underneath me.

UFOTacoMan
Sep 22, 2005

Thanks easter bunny!
bok bok!

Turdsdown Tom posted:

quick question for ultra cool street skaters. just built a new setup yesterday but realized I hosed up at the shop and bought a set of Bones STF v2's that are 87b on the durometer scale. I was previously riding 78a's because I like to bomb hills and carve bowls and poo poo.

how hosed am I? should I go order a set of wheels around 78-86a right now? I'm concerned that the first time I drop in on a wooden clover that I'm going to start to carve one corner and have the loving thing just shoot out from underneath me.

Someone else may be able to give a more detailed answer but...
Yes the wheels you have now are harder than what you are used to but I don't think they will cause you problems in a bowl. If they are grooved wheels (the part that touches the ground has ridges that go around the wheel) I wouldn't power slide on them much until you wear the grooves down as they will just slide off and leave you on your butt.
But they should be fine for a bowl. I would give them a try before ordering new wheels unless you just like to buy wheels, which in that case go ahead and order the wheels you like.
The harder wheels you have now should feel a little faster in a bowl and in general.

Fun Fact: a guy told me one time that his friend whose uncle works for Bones said that that the reason they put grooves on wheels is because it makes people buy them, there's no real difference between grooved and flat, it's just a superfluous visual thing that makes people want to buy the wheels.

Lumpy
Apr 26, 2002

La! La! La! Laaaa!

College Slice

Turdsdown Tom posted:

Back when I had knees and could skate, I used to run 95a - 98a and seemed to be okay.

Altared State
Jan 14, 2006

I haven't skated in awhile cause of a back injury, which is better now, so I bought some new wheels to go speeding around my neighborhood.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc
Very relevant to old man skateboarding thread

barnold
Dec 16, 2011

what do u do when yuo're born to play fps? guess there's nothing left to do but play fps. boom headshot

Lumpy posted:

Back when I had knees and could skate, I used to run 95a - 98a and seemed to be okay.

according to the website I was reading, an 87b is the equivalent of a 107a, which is pretty much one of the highest numbers i've seen on any skate wheel

Lumpy
Apr 26, 2002

La! La! La! Laaaa!

College Slice

Turdsdown Tom posted:

according to the website I was reading, an 87b is the equivalent of a 107a, which is pretty much one of the highest numbers i've seen on any skate wheel

"Back in my day we didn't have yer fancy B durometers! And you could tell which one was the nose just by lookin'!!" :argh:

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc
My last post might have sounded like shade but there was actually a picture that didnt' attach or something lol

barnold
Dec 16, 2011

Update: I really loving hate these hard wheels. They're so bad. I don't know how anyone rides this poo poo. Unless you're skating on absolutely impeccably smooth concrete, good loving luck.

I want to find whoever thought making 87b wheels with branding that makes the b look like an a and throttle them. gently caress Bones.

Zigmidge
May 12, 2002

Exsqueeze me, why the sour face? I'm here to lemon aid you. Let's juice it.
Yeah that's super hosed up. I've never seen urethane on the B-scale on shelves before. You can probably feel the grain of the wood on the mini ramp you're riding with those.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

barnold
Dec 16, 2011

I'm 21 years old and my loving knees are so sore just from puttering around in the driveway. Guess I'll put em up on Craigslist for $20 and try to recoup at least a little of my money. gently caress HARD WHEELS

EDIT: Just ordered a set of 56mm 78a's to match the Satori Lil Nuggs I rode on my own setup. I guess maybe I'll keep the STF's for if I go to a skatepark someday and want to test out harder wheels. Until then, I'm back onto the softies so I can cruise around without having a loving rumble pad under my feet.

barnold fucked around with this message at 23:12 on Mar 8, 2017