Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Maneki Neko posted:

Nope we actually had a pretty good Dell team pre-merger :(

I got the sense the good Dell reps got pushed out by the EMC folks in talking to folks who worked for both.
EMC sales folks i've encountered have by and large been overpaid over-aggro sociopaths so that's no surprise.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.

evil_bunnY posted:

EMC sales folks i've encountered have by and large been overpaid over-aggro sociopaths so that's no surprise.
I had one schedule a WebEx for me without telling me, then called me on the phone to gaslight me, insisting I scheduled the meeting and forgot and needed to join them ASAP.

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

When asked which Pokemon he evolved into, Kamara pauses.

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

Can confirm that EMC sales people are the worst. It's a company that has multiple in house products that compete with each other, sold by different teams, who try to screw one another out of deals. You'll get Avamar people trying to steal deals from Data Domain people, or Isilon people trying to steal deals from VNX people.

It's guaranteed to create and foster only the most lovely and amoral sales practices, and people.

Langolas
Feb 12, 2011

My mustache makes me sexy, not the hat

big money big clit posted:

Can confirm that EMC sales people are the worst. It's a company that has multiple in house products that compete with each other, sold by different teams, who try to screw one another out of deals. You'll get Avamar people trying to steal deals from Data Domain people, or Isilon people trying to steal deals from VNX people.

It's guaranteed to create and foster only the most lovely and amoral sales practices, and people.

They just merged and made a few of my sales guys disappear. With the news that they merged two of the big tech departments together hopefully that competition poo poo starts to go away. Their's use cases for everything you just have to get someone look at your environment and tell the sales shits to gently caress off.

Richard Noggin
Jun 6, 2005
Redneck By Default
HP just picked up Simplivity for $650m. It will be interesting to see where they take the line, as I believe Simplivity's stuff is build on top of both Dell and Cisco hardware.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Can I just get Windows Storage Server in a 2U box with a bunch of disks up front and a couple of nodes in the rear with a shared SAS backplane, thanks.

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

Richard Noggin posted:

HP just picked up Simplivity for $650m. It will be interesting to see where they take the line, as I believe Simplivity's stuff is build on top of both Dell and Cisco hardware.

Simplivity was built to be true software defined hyper-converged, so it doesn't really matter what it runs on. They had a deal with Cisco for a while to resell their software with UCS, but it never went anywhere and Cisco has been working with Springpath instead for the past year or so.

This seems like one of those acquisitions that is destined to never pick up any momentum, and slowly wither on the vine until you hear about layoffs three years from now where 90 percent of the team is let go.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

I'm still waiting for LeftHand to make it's triumphant return!

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

This seems like one of those acquisitions that is destined to never pick up any momentum, and slowly wither on the vine until you hear about layoffs three years from now where 90 percent of the team is let go.
Every HP acquisition post-Compaq, in other words.

EoRaptor
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Vulture Culture posted:

Every HP acquisition post-Compaq, in other words.

More like every big company purchase of a startup since 2000. Has this strategy ever worked?

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

EoRaptor posted:

More like every big company purchase of a startup since 2000. Has this strategy ever worked?
EMC/Isilon and Hitachi/BlueArc both went pretty well, I thought.

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

EoRaptor posted:

lol NetApp/Everyone they've ever bought

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT

Thanks Ants posted:

Can I just get Windows Storage Server in a 2U box with a bunch of disks up front and a couple of nodes in the rear with a shared SAS backplane, thanks.

You could. Nimble is just a Supermicro chassis as you described with the two "controllers" (blades) in the back sharing the backplane.

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

Maneki Neko posted:

Has Solidfire turned into a debacle yet? I haven't really followed that one.

Langolas
Feb 12, 2011

Docjowles posted:

Was it Solidfire that was built off of Dell chassis?

To the comment about just buying a chassis with disks, vendors are starting to put software out to allow that. I expect to see more of that in the future honestly

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

Maneki Neko posted:

NetApp has actually done pretty well with the Engenio acquisition. They haven't really made many acquisitions though. The Riverbed tech they picked up was pretty cheap and they're still doing engineering work on it to integrate it with the FAS line, so it's probably not going away, though the long term goal is to integrate the functionality directly into the arrays I hear.

Docjowles posted:

Not a debacle, they're still pretty aggressively trying to sell it and they actually added staff to that side of the house, but its not a huge seller for them. It does get them into certain strategic accounts that they otherwise wouldn't get into though.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
GitLab.com melts down after wrong directory deleted, backups fail

bigmandan
Sep 11, 2001

lol internet
College Slice

Looks like they didn't adhere to The Tao of Backup

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

I use Netapp's Data ONTAPP with Powershell Toolkit for some win automation.

Does NetApp have a bash orchestration plugin / module, and if so what is it called?

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Hmmm, I can create workflows then call them by REST apis.

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

Potato Salad posted:

I use Netapp's Data ONTAPP with Powershell Toolkit for some win automation.

Does NetApp have a bash orchestration plugin / module, and if so what is it called?

The bash orchestration plugin is called SSH.

Walked
Apr 14, 2003

Anyone worked with FusionIO cards?

I have a 1.2tb one that's not behaving as anticipated. It's for a lab and out of warranty but very very low use.

edit: nevermind; it looks like I needed to reinstall the chipset drivers for the host server.

Walked fucked around with this message at 18:38 on Feb 8, 2017

Mr Shiny Pants
Nov 12, 2012

Walked posted:

I have a 1.2tb one that's not behaving as anticipated. It's for a lab and out of warranty but very very low use.

Is it a regular PCIe card? Home much do you want for it? :)

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

Walked posted:

We are playing these games right now as well. Can you describe how it's performing, kernel version, benchmark, and copy/paste your partitioning + FS creation commands? I will see if I can find mine. We're playing with "LIQID" NVMe cards. And yes it's pronounced liquid it is a dumb name and I pronounce it lick-id.

Walked
Apr 14, 2003

Mr Shiny Pants posted:

Is it a regular PCIe card? Home much do you want for it? :)

It is! And it's going to find a home in my desktop if I cant get what I want out of it for a storage server.

H110Hawk posted:

We are playing these games right now as well. Can you describe how it's performing, kernel version, benchmark, and copy/paste your partitioning + FS creation commands? I will see if I can find mine. We're playing with "LIQID" NVMe cards. And yes it's pronounced liquid it is a dumb name and I pronounce it lick-id.

I'm actually running inside Windows Server 2016; as I'm hoping to use it as a StarWind VSAN cache disk. Although I'm ready to dump and move to a ZFS build if this keeps up.

I've tried it all;

Local benchmarks are good. ~1.5gbps ready / ~1.2gbps write. IOPS within range (and insane on small block sizes :getin: ) As soon as I throw it on a network of ANY kind or even just a Hyper-V VHD stored on there, performance drops to ~200mbps read / ~400mbps write; IOPs are still find on lower block sizes though.

I've tried setting 512 and 4096 sector sizes, NTFS / ReFS, MBR and GPT.

That said; I just updated all my chipset drivers are I'm seeing much closer to spec performance inside my test system. I'm going to re-build this server today and see where I end up.

EDIT: nevermind performance is terrible again

Walked fucked around with this message at 18:44 on Feb 8, 2017

Mr Shiny Pants
Nov 12, 2012

Walked posted:

It is! And it's going to find a home in my desktop if I cant get what I want out of it for a storage server.

Nice.

jre
Sep 2, 2011

To the cloud ?

Walked posted:

I'm actually running inside Windows Server 2016; as I'm hoping to use it as a StarWind VSAN cache disk. Although I'm ready to dump and move to a ZFS build if this keeps up.

I've tried it all;

Local benchmarks are good. ~1.5gbps ready / ~1.2gbps write. IOPS within range (and insane on small block sizes :getin: ) As soon as I throw it on a network of ANY kind or even just a Hyper-V VHD stored on there, performance drops to ~200mbps read / ~400mbps write; IOPs are still find on lower block sizes though.

I've tried setting 512 and 4096 sector sizes, NTFS / ReFS, MBR and GPT.

That said; I just updated all my chipset drivers are I'm seeing much closer to spec performance inside my test system. I'm going to re-build this server today and see where I end up.

EDIT: nevermind performance is terrible again

What do you mean by throw it on a network ?

Also are the partitions aligned with the underlying storage ?

Walked
Apr 14, 2003

Any time I expose the storage to anything other than the native host bare metal, and performance tanks by 80% or so.

Hyper-V VHD on there? Performance in the VM is garbage time. And this was my local test to rule out network somehow being related.

Present the drive or a folder on the drive via SMB and the performance tanks.

Present the drive or a VHD on the drive via iSCSI and performance tanks.

It's quite strange.

But I think I'm getting somewhere. I've updated the drive firmware and reinstalled my chooser firmware again. A brief iometer run shows MUCH better numbers (close to theoretical max) but I want to run that a tad longer to be sure and calling it a day.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

Walked posted:

Any time I expose the storage to anything other than the native host bare metal, and performance tanks by 80% or so.

Hyper-V VHD on there? Performance in the VM is garbage time. And this was my local test to rule out network somehow being related.

I would focus on this one, as it likely has the fewest variables. I am 100% unfamiliar with Windows but: Is there a way to map through the FusionIO drive to your Hyper-V instance with its VHD somewhere else? Or is that exactly what you're doing? Basically put the root disk for your windows instance elsewhere and expose through localhost a smb share or similar.

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

Are you doing read or write IO tests? Are you using it as a raw device in IO meter?

YOLOsubmarine fucked around with this message at 01:58 on Feb 9, 2017

Walked
Apr 14, 2003

H110Hawk posted:

I would focus on this one, as it likely has the fewest variables. I am 100% unfamiliar with Windows but: Is there a way to map through the FusionIO drive to your Hyper-V instance with its VHD somewhere else? Or is that exactly what you're doing? Basically put the root disk for your windows instance elsewhere and expose through localhost a smb share or similar.

I've run both routes.

However, after the firmware update and chipset driver reinstall - all is still benchmarking as it should be, and for sustained periods now.

Saturating 10gbe in style :getin:

edit: nm; performance tanked again over network. Just going to use this for my vmware workstation as I'm tired of fighting with it for what amounts to a cache disk I dont really need for pure lab stuff

Walked fucked around with this message at 04:25 on Feb 9, 2017

Langolas
Feb 12, 2011

FusionIO is a game of "which drivers will mostly work for me". I never had it working with their sales guys "benchmarking" anywhere near the specs they laid out. And that was us getting lucky it didn't BSOD one of the boxes

My buddy used to work for them and said its a massive poo poo show especially since they got bought out. Want to play a game of outsourced devs that dont know what they're doing? That's 95% of the driver coding for FusionIO.

My favorite is they were trying to charge us 5 figures for one card years ago when we were testing it. We spent $1000 or so on a POS OCZ card that was more compatible with our Dell servers. The FusionIO guys did however never come get that proof of concept card. We basically put it in static wrap sealed away in the datacenter and used the carrying case (nice cut foam handgun case) to lockup specific backup tapes for transit.

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

Walked posted:

I've run both routes.

However, after the firmware update and chipset driver reinstall - all is still benchmarking as it should be, and for sustained periods now.

Saturating 10gbe in style :getin:

edit: nm; performance tanked again over network. Just going to use this for my vmware workstation as I'm tired of fighting with it for what amounts to a cache disk I dont really need for pure lab stuff

The performance difference is likely due to some filesystem caching behavior that is present when you do local tests but not remote tests or tests on a VHD, and not driver changes. Irrespective of how you're accessing the device it's still ultimately getting translated down to scsi device calls, which is the point at which the driver and firmware come in. The driver is completely unaware of how those calls are being generated. The only effect it might have is if the different tests are generating different IO profiles (iSCSI reads/writes may get broken up into smaller disk reads/writes on the destination, same with local access through a VHD) but probably not enough to change results that much.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Welp

https://www.hpe.com/us/en/newsroom/...sh-Storage.html

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

Storage market consolidation is overdue and Nimble was struggling, though HP being the suitor is surprising.

Wrar
Sep 9, 2002

Soiled Meat
HP can't engineer a storage solution worth a poo poo, but they also can't manage an acquisition worth a poo poo either.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

This buys them nothing though?

HP being the suitor is surprising.
Basically this

evil_bunnY fucked around with this message at 17:16 on Mar 7, 2017

mayodreams
Jul 4, 2003

Hello darkness,
my old friend
I had never touched 3 Par before this stop, and I was skeptical at first, but HPE and 3 Par engineers and support won me over.

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

3Par is pretty good for what it is, they just haven't done much development on it recently. The EVA line was pretty good too, but they killed that for some reason.

HP has had good storage products, they just don't seem to have any desire or ability to sell them in large enough volumes to keep them around.

Which is great news for Nimble employees and customers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

How's LeftHand doing these days? :classiclol:

I feel like with Dell buying EMC that HP felt they needed to do something. I didn't know Nimble was struggling.

I've got a hardware refresh coming in the next year or two and I'm not sure I'm ready to hop on the hyperconvergence train. What are people doing in that realm these days? vSAN? Nutanix? Scale? Cisco UCS?