Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Yerok
Jan 11, 2009
Backed the injection timing off a hair on the 6BT, sounds less like a Duramax now. Went to get gas for all the motorcycles.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
Installed a junkyard taillight to replace the one I clumsily put a hole in last fall. Also installed the new rear swaybar (old one broke in half), new driver fender, new headlamp and turn signal housings, and put the grille back on. Aside from having a not matching driver door, it looks almost as good as it did before that dope ran into me in December.

Raikyn
Feb 22, 2011

Michael Scott posted:

I hate that feeling when you do something (automotive or not) and you know immediately that you just lost a chunk of money from your action.

Bought new tyres for my 300zx at about $250 per wheel.
First drive with them backing down my driveway I hit a step which punctured the sidewall.

I've lived here 20 years and I've never hit anything before :saddowns:

ThirstyBuck
Nov 6, 2010

Sold it. So long Hardbody you were a good truck.

H2SO4
Sep 11, 2001

put your money in a log cabin

Buglord
:getin:

Tomarse
Mar 7, 2001

Grr

The indicators and sidelights in my landrover stopped working last week and all my fuses kept blowing. Took the dash out and found that while it isn't leaking in the cab anymore now there are still quite a lot of leaks through the bulkhead and windscreen and it collects in the back of the dash, putting my relays underwater and making them look like this:

I have now replaced most of the relays and relocated them to be above the high water mark. Also found that my front sidelights didn't work because the lamp fittings have fallen apart inside and while I was testing this I found that my brake lights didn't work reliably because the pedal switch is failing.

Went for a celebratory drive after fixing it and my exhaust snapped. Now have a shopping list to get ordered for next weekend!

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

It's always amusing to me to see oem standard-issue stuff that's Hella branded. I first became aware of the brand with their conspicuous driving lights and horns, so I figured it was a "yea bruh, that poo poo hella loud/bright" marketing thing. Of course, I know now that that's not the case, but that first impression sticks, you know?

chrisgt
Sep 6, 2011

Raluek posted:

It's always amusing to me to see oem standard-issue stuff that's Hella branded. I first became aware of the brand with their conspicuous driving lights and horns, so I figured it was a "yea bruh, that poo poo hella loud/bright" marketing thing. Of course, I know now that that's not the case, but that first impression sticks, you know?

Same, all the relays and some other electrical stuff on my Mercedes are marked Hella. I used to just think of them as the light/horn manufacture.

Lightbulb Out
Apr 28, 2006

slack jawed yokel
Working on cars is "fun" !

Lightbulb Out posted:

I finally got around to replacing the catback on my 318i. I decided it to do it in my garage by myself, which turned out fine.

Getting the old one out was relatively easy, but they weren't moving with heat or force, so I attempted to dremel them off, but was running out of disc far too fast.

Borrowed a grinder, problem solved.

I think it may have been hitting the subframe????

I ran out of steam at that point, and needed a friend to come help me get the rest of it installed. I bought all new hardware, so it went together quickly.

It's still relatively loud but isn't hitting the body of the car anymore. I haven't driven it much, but it's definitely lower and better exhaust note. Swapped from winter tires to some high quality Sumitohomo round black 185/70/14s, and its time for spring. :getin:

rdb
Jul 8, 2002
chicken mctesticles?
I washed them. I broke out the pressure washer/foam lance today and used some chemical guys all in one wash and wax. The results were really good for a wash and wax.

And someone didn't see me in a parking lot and backed into my drivers door. Grr there goes my deductible and low insurance rates.

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org
Ughh that sucks I'm sorry. How does that even happen? Did he full lock the wheel before backing out and just gunned it?

rdb
Jul 8, 2002
chicken mctesticles?
He didn't see me back out. I was in the middle of the lane about to drive off when he hit. I have him on video admitting to not seeing me so maybe I will get the deductible back eventually. poo poo happens and by far and large it's not the worst thing to happen to me in the last couple weeks. I can commute to the airport on the BMW if I have to.

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org
Oh, well thats better than a hit and run/no note like I thought it was.

Night Danger Moose
Jan 5, 2004

YO SOY FIESTA
Got my rear motor mount installed yesterday and I filled up on 93 this morning, so I finally loaded up my Stratified tune. My flash tune actually feels less powerful than the OTS 91 stage 1 tune that came with the accessport. I have to look into exactly how to switch maps too, and which gauges to keep up.

Learning!

Parts Kit
Jun 9, 2006

durr
i have a hole in my head
durr
Weber installed, truck is actually working. :getin:

Tomarse
Mar 7, 2001

Grr

Raluek posted:

This wasn't an OEM relay on this vehicle.. the OEM ones said "Lucas" on them and have long since rusted/combusted.
I had the same hella experience as you did! It must be fairly common. It still amuses me when I find them...

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

Did balljoints on Saturday then drove around a whole lot, the car now handles properly and there's less weirdness in the steering when cornering at or near max lock. Need to get it aligned properly but man it feels so good now.

chrisgt
Sep 6, 2011

Olympic Mathlete posted:

Did balljoints on Saturday then drove around a whole lot, the car now handles properly and there's less weirdness in the steering when cornering at or near max lock. Need to get it aligned properly but man it feels so good now.

Lol it's amazing what difference balljoints can make. My mercedes went from having terrifying death wobble hitting bride expansion joints on the highway to riding like a luxury car when I replaced all 4 loose balljoints. Maybe new shocks, bushings, and steering damper helped, too...

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

Aye mine needs new shocks really too, hopefully nabbing those in a couple of months. I look forward to what feels like a new car.

always be closing
Jul 16, 2005
I picked up some used wheels and tires a week or two ago, just got around to cleaning the rust off them, then had to turn the tires around, other guy had white letters out. Balanced em up and threw some shine on really quick. I tried to clean the center caps with soap and water, but they might need a little compound. Should bring good money at the swap meet!

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

Sold it to Carvana. Like Carmax but instead of having to go to Carmax, Carvana came to me instead. Last night after deciding to go with them I filled out the little form on the internet, called them, emailed pictures of the title, set up an appointment and the truck showed up today. He did his (very short and not at all comprehensive imho) inspection and wrote out the check and scraped the lip on the way up the back ramp of the truck and drove away. Yeah we could have sold it private party but I didn't want to try to sell something over 20k to some chump on craigslist, and since we aren't buying a new car we couldn't exactly trade it in.
Was a very nice and cool experience. Would recommend.

Michael Scott
Jan 3, 2010

by zen death robot
So you'd recommend selling it to Carvana, but as far as buying... they scraped the lip and did a half-rear end inspection?

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.

Michael Scott posted:

So you'd recommend selling it to Carvana, but as far as buying... they scraped the lip and did a half-rear end inspection?

It's a 2013 that's just out of warranty so naturally it's history is spotless and I'm the original owner. The inspection was him turning it on, checking the A/C, a walk around and checking out the (lack of) warning lights. I don't know what I expected really but it just seemed very easy and very quick.
As for buying one from them maybe? It's hella convenient for them to just bring you your car and you do get 7 days no questions ask with it. They do only seem to sell boring generic stuff though so personally I wouldn't buy from them based on that. So yeah basically selling to them is easy as hell, as for buying I don't think that's really something for an AI regular.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

I would have bought a Mazda2 from them but they didn't have any manuals in stock at the time. Good thing because I went to see an automatic locally in person and deemed it just to small for my needs.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.
I had the exact same idea and came to the same conclusion. In my case they did have a demo 3 with the manual on the lot so I grabbed that instead and six months later couldn't be happier.

Jymmybob
Jun 26, 2000

Grimey Drawer
I finally got started on the 968 hit list today.

1) Pulled apart the passenger footwell, pulled the DME and alarm module only to find out it wasn't bypassible so I started on the contact points that could be causing the alarm faults. Found it first try and fixed it. Alarm now arms correctly but still flashes the hazards and alert light when anything happens :negative:
I can't find any info on this for any related cars but there's a longshot hope that's so retarded it just might work, especially considering how the next thing went.

2) Fixing the parking brake was expected to be a nightmare because it had gone so long that at a PO had put tape on the cluster lens to cover the giant "!" light in the top center that was triggered by it never showing as off. It was removed at some point but appears to have permanently marked that area so I had no idea what was so terrible that it would go so long without fixing and what parts, if any, were salvageable and had a pile of parts, springs, and bolts to rebuild everything. About 60 seconds in we found a bolt under the handle to anchor one of the two points on the handle assembly and after putting it back in, everything worked. I lubed the switch that indicates the position and bent it a tiny bit up and the light went out. It's fully functional and job done in 5 minutes.

3) Pulled the center console to get the non-working stereo out and found it blew the integrated fuse. I'm trashing it and getting a newer model because the mounting stuff is in bad shape and I don't trust it because I've never seen an otherwise working stereo pop a fuse. Going with Kenwood again though because the install wiring was obviously a pro job and worth keeping the harness work. Also there's no way I'm wasting time figuring out the million wires.

Upcoming:

1) Redo rocker panel gaskets and mounting tabs.

2) Fix sunroof drive so I can swap in a new tinted glass roof in place of the solid OEM one.

3) New radio

4) SSK, new shifter boot and know to go with it plus some misc bushings and parts.

5) Minor trim stuff like switch covers and new armrest assembly.

All the parts are on order so hopefully it'll be wrapped up next week.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

Heard grinding up front last night. Have been hearing a weird clicking noise while braking for awhile.

Went by Advance Auto last night after work to obtain new pads (Wearever Gold Ceramic). Slapped new pads in up front, new pads came with new shims too (old ones didn't).

No more weird clicking. Caught it before the rotors were damaged. New pads really want me to taste my steering wheel if I look at the brake pedal funny, whereas the old ones struggled to think about locking up the wheels. Old and new are both ceramic, new are Carquest, old are Raybestos service grade that were wholesaler closeout for $7. Didn't touch the rotors this time aside from dragging a fingernail across the surfaces to make sure they didn't have any real grooves.

Got 60k out of the $7 Raybestos pads though, I'm impressed.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

Tomarse posted:

The indicators and sidelights in my landrover stopped working last week and all my fuses kept blowing. Took the dash out and found that while it isn't leaking in the cab anymore now there are still quite a lot of leaks through the bulkhead and windscreen and it collects in the back of the dash, putting my relays underwater and making them look like this:

I have now replaced most of the relays and relocated them to be above the high water mark. Also found that my front sidelights didn't work because the lamp fittings have fallen apart inside and while I was testing this I found that my brake lights didn't work reliably because the pedal switch is failing.

Went for a celebratory drive after fixing it and my exhaust snapped. Now have a shopping list to get ordered for next weekend!

landrover

Bought and installed some black headlights/marker lights on the CV. Look way more modern than the all chrome OEMs, and are nice and clear. I hate all chrome headlights/taillights - they look cheesy and tasteless. The black works really well with the white car.
While I was at it, I replaced the front park/turn bulbs with switchback LEDS, just because.

Earlier last week I installed LED taillights. I had LED bulbs in the OEM taillights, but these are purpose-built units. Listing said they were used, but they were in perfect condition.

The taillights have a clear turn indicator section for the models that had separate indicators. They provide a chrome blanking plug so you don't have a giant hole in there, at least. Mine doesn't use the indicators, so I'm going to get a couple spare plugs and use them as a second set of reverse lights. I just upgraded to LEDs in the original locations, and man, that made a difference. Can't hurt to have a little more light back there when backing up.

Darchangel fucked around with this message at 19:49 on Mar 8, 2017

always be closing
Jul 16, 2005
Wow, those tails look great, good idea.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.

Darchangel posted:

landrover

Bought and installed some black headlights/marker lights on the CV. Look way more modern than the all chrome OEMs, and are nice and clear. I hate all chrome headlights/taillights - they look cheesy and tasteless. The black works really well with the white car.
While I was at it, I replaced the front park/turn bulbs with switchback LEDS, just because.

Earlier last week I installed LED taillights. I had LED bulbs in the OEM taillights, but these are purpose-built units. Listing said they were used, but they were in perfect condition.

The taillights have a clear turn indicator section for the models that had separate indicators. They provide a chrome blanking plug so you don't have a giant hole in there, at least. Mine doesn't use the indicators, so I'm going to get a couple spare plugs and use them as a second set of reverse lights. I just upgraded to LEDs in the original locations, and man, that made a difference. Can't hurt to have a little more light back there when backing up.

Yeah this looks really good, especially those headlight housings.
LEDs seem to be better for everything, I'm looking to get LED headlights in my Acty just to reduce the current draw from the halogens that it normally runs, plus swapping out the two bulbs inside with LED ones and the license plat light as well.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

always be closing posted:

Wow, those tails look great, good idea.

KakerMix posted:

Yeah this looks really good, especially those headlight housings.
LEDs seem to be better for everything, I'm looking to get LED headlights in my Acty just to reduce the current draw from the halogens that it normally runs, plus swapping out the two bulbs inside with LED ones and the license plat light as well.

Thanks. I thought so, in both instances. My wife's Kia Spectra 5 has headlights done in a similar manner, and it looks so much better than the base model all-chrome ones. When I saw these while looking at replacements, thy were a go.
The taillights came up on eBay, and I got them for a bit less than new buy it now. They have interesting connections. The stock tails have two brake/turn/tail bulbs. The LED tails have two plugs, but as far as I can tell (no instructions) one goes through a resistor pack, and the other doesn't. I've hacked in an electronic flasher, so I don't really need the resistors. Interestingly, if I hook both plugs up, they don't blink. The default behavior of the electronic flasher is a bit odd - they turn signals stay on longer than off, rather than the usual 50/50 on/off. On these tails, one plug acts like that, the other, presumably the one with the resistors, blinks "normally". If both are hooked up - they just stay on.

I found some good, bright LEDs from a particular vendor on eBay, and I've pretty much only bought from that vendor since.
I'm mildly curious how well the LED replacement headlight bulbs are. Your Acty runs normal sealed-beam sized bulbs IIRC, so you've got some proven options from Truck-Lite and others.

The only non-LEDs in the CV now that I've replaced the reverse lights are the one in the passenger airbag light (need to experiment and see if it will work correctly with an LED, and the cop ticket-writing light, because I keep forgetting to buy an 1156 bulb for it. I think I'll go red, since I've got ridiculously bright panels in the regular dome light.

Yerok
Jan 11, 2009
Drove the dodge down the road to return the neighbor's dogs and discovered that the two little rock chips in the windshield have somehow propagated while it was parked for months? Guess I'll just drive it till the windshield falls in somewhere halfway across the country then light it on fire

always be closing
Jul 16, 2005
Link the vendor's store.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

Looks good! I've done similar to most cars I've owned.

I'm really sad that nobody makes anything except stock replacement housings for my car. :smith: It'd be nice if the parts not involved in reflecting light were smoked or black. But it's not exactly a common car to mod to begin with... the coupe version didn't sell nearly as well as the sedan version.. and the coupe has a completely different front clip.

The stock ones are getting a bit yellowed anyway though, I might order some new ones and try to DIY. They're certainly cheap enough, and they drop out by yanking 2 pins and unplugging 2 plugs. Can't really do anything with the side markers though, since they're just small reflectors with a bulb in them. Best I could do is maybe put some very light tint on them, but that could potentially be a legal issue later.

I've thought about doing switchback LEDs, but my car runs the front turn signals (on the high filament) as DRLs, and I don't think the switchback LEDs are meant to handle being run like that. Plus the resistors I'd have to add to keep a normal flash rate probably wouldn't last very long, since they'd be spending hours a day under load instead of some flashes here and there. I can manually turn off the DRLs, but I'd have to flick a momentary switch every time I start the car (and well, silver car in an area with mostly cement roads..... I'd rather be seen). I think the only exterior bulbs I could easily get away with swapping to LEDs would be the rear ones - brake, turn, parking, backup, high mount brake. Tried LEDs in the front side markers, but there's so little room in them that they wound up being a tiny spot of light instead of lighting up the center of the reflector.

I've also thought about getting some stock headlamp replacement housings, and modding them with some small HID projectors - there's plenty of small aftermarket ones on the market that would fit inside the housings with a little work. But that'd be a lot of :effort:, a lot of money, and potentially some legal issues if a LEO decided they didn't like them during a traffic stop. Plus I don't know how much longer I'll have this car anyway, the deferred maintenance is about to take a big bite out of my wallet. It's still reliable, but it needs rear brakes, a clutch pedal, tires, and shocks/struts. And who knows how much life is left in the clutch.

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 09:38 on Mar 9, 2017

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde
Drove the 245 for the first time in almost 3 years today. It still needs a lot of work but it feels good to have it running and moving under its own power again.

eighty-four merc
Dec 22, 2010

In 2020, we're going to make the end of Fight Club real.

For once the stupid rock at the Toyota store they park TRD PRO Tacomas and 4 Runners and poo poo like that next to (and occasionally on) wasn't occupied so I hosed around and parked my poo poo box car on it for a while.

Had to get some speed going into it cause my right rear wheel would come off ground too. Another reason I need a posi out of a 190e.

Lightbulb Out
Apr 28, 2006

slack jawed yokel
Everyone needs LSD in their life.

HandlingByJebus
Jun 21, 2009

All of a sudden, I found myself in love with the world, so there was only one thing I could do:
was ding a ding dang, my dang a long racecar.

It's a love affair. Mainly jebus, and my racecar.

Lightbulb Out posted:

Everyone needs LSD in their life.

:catdrugs:
HOOKS UP GOOOOOD MAAAAAAANNNNNNN
:catdrugs:

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

eighty-four merc posted:

For once the stupid rock at the Toyota store they park TRD PRO Tacomas and 4 Runners and poo poo like that next to (and occasionally on) wasn't occupied so I hosed around and parked my poo poo box car on it for a while.

Had to get some speed going into it cause my right rear wheel would come off ground too. Another reason I need a posi out of a 190e.

I love this retarded thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

Doing an oil change on the newer Outback sure beats the ol' ring of fire on the EJ25 that this replaced. Only took 20 some odd years to get it right.