Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

Shirec posted:

I'm enjoying the serious uptick of Shatner impressions in my life. The patreon has paid back in spades

How good is The Nexus? I've never been a big Star Trek fan and I'm only at the Animation Damnation Patreon level.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
WHY ARE YOU STILL SMILING

GoutPatrol posted:

How good is The Nexus? I've never been a big Star Trek fan and I'm only at the Animation Damnation Patreon level.

It's probably the raunchiest you'll ever hear them. It's also hilarious and full of things that have made it a must-have for me. I'm really looking forward to the listener month episode to see how they take to the different shows.

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

We demand to be taken seriously

GoutPatrol posted:

Nexus is excellent, I'd say all of the content on their Patreon is strong and well worth your dime. It's not something new each week, but they do have a consistent release schedule (one Nexus a month) and nothing feels shoveled in to meet content quotas.

Plus their Mario Bros animation damnation is one of the funniest eps of all time. I lost it when they describe Mario and Luigi's derelict living environment.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
I've never consumed and star trek media other than what appears in other pop culture things. Would I still enjoy the nexus

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Everytime I try to fly I fall
Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

I'm thinking about dropping back to just AniDamna so I can afford Chapo but that's nothing against the WHM guys - they've done everything they can to make me pretend I'm interested in Star Trek. I'm just not sure I can do it indefinitely.

Tiny Brontosaurus
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Calaveron posted:

I've never consumed and star trek media other than what appears in other pop culture things. Would I still enjoy the nexus

Do you think their Shatner and Stewart impressions are funny?

A Meat
Jun 28, 2013

CERTIFIED FRESH AS HELL DOC MAKER

Calaveron posted:

I have never watched a star trek and I enjoy the Nexus.

Vakal
May 11, 2008

On tv lately there has been an commercial for Oikos yogurt and the guy in it looks like Steve's more attractive doppelganger.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sIa_nwwbrj0

Tiny Brontosaurus
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
Aw nobody's more attractive than Steve. Except that total babe Chris Cabin.

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow

Vakal posted:

On tv lately there has been an commercial for Oikos yogurt and the guy in it looks like Steve's more attractive doppelganger.

Holy poo poo that's uncanny

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Every now and then I'll take a couple weeks off just so that when I start listening again I've got like 4 episodes banked. :)

Scratchman Apoo
Mar 27, 2011

precision posted:

Every now and then I'll take a couple weeks off just so that when I start listening again I've got like 4 episodes banked. :)

That was me when I bought into the Patreon. They had just updated like four Animation Damnations and it was like getting hit with a deluge of new content.

Animation Damnation is perfect for when you want background noise, but don't want to invest 90 minutes into an episode. I think I've listened to Steve's raccoon story at least half a dozen times.

Nouvelle Vague
Feb 16, 2011

Endut! Hoch Hech!
Brooklyn show was amazing, and includes a great story of Steve trying to buy Wizard magazine at Port Authority.

e X
Feb 23, 2013

cool but crude

Nouvelle Vague posted:

Brooklyn show was amazing, and includes a great story of Steve trying to buy Wizard magazine at Port Authority.

Did Human Water Fountain Stephen Sajdak do his thing again?

Nouvelle Vague
Feb 16, 2011

Endut! Hoch Hech!
Sadly no.

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

Vakal posted:

Stefan Sajdakke

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

So while I was a fan of the cartoon back in the day, I never watched the movie.

Do they really mispronounce Aang's name as "Ahng" in the movie? Because, I mean...it's in the cartoon.

Trillhouse
Dec 31, 2000

Evil Mastermind posted:

So while I was a fan of the cartoon back in the day, I never watched the movie.

Do they really mispronounce Aang's name as "Ahng" in the movie? Because, I mean...it's in the cartoon.

Yes. I guess M. Knight thought it was more correct for some reason. It says a lot about him.

Also the kid that plays Aang is the biggest wiener ever and looks like he could break out it in tears in any given scene for any emotion. Maybe they mention it in the podcast (I'm only half way through and can finish it until later today) but the actor was cast because he looked like Aang and could do all the Tai Chi moves. M. Knight sent him to an acting boot camp for a few months and figured that would be adequate for the main character of a big budget movie based on a beloved carton.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Trillhouse posted:

Yes. I guess M. Knight thought it was more correct for some reason. It says a lot about him.
That's the thing that always drives me nuts about bad movie adaptions of existing properties...you've got the reference material! It's all right there and easily available! You're not making it all up whole cloth!

What's even more insane is that the movie is the first season of the cartoon jammed into an hour and forty minutes, and Shyamalan is clearly trying to hit as many of the season's beats as possible. So he's willing to cram in all these single-episode plots into the movie, but not use the right pronunciation for a name?

Ugh. I need to put down my Tweet.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Evil Mastermind posted:

That's the thing that always drives me nuts about bad movie adaptions of existing properties...you've got the reference material! It's all right there and easily available! You're not making it all up whole cloth!

What's even more insane is that the movie is the first season of the cartoon jammed into an hour and forty minutes, and Shyamalan is clearly trying to hit as many of the season's beats as possible. So he's willing to cram in all these single-episode plots into the movie, but not use the right pronunciation for a name?

Ugh. I need to put down my Tweet.

Keep in mind that he also changed the Earthbender prison from a metal rig in the middle of the ocean to a literal campsite in some foothills.

Count Chocula
Dec 25, 2011

WE HAVE TO CONTROL OUR ENVIRONMENT
IF YOU SEE ME POSTING OUTSIDE OF THE AUSPOL THREAD PLEASE TELL ME THAT I'M MISSED AND TO START POSTING AGAIN
I've got my tweets ready to go...I loved the show.
Weird how everyone complains about the exposition in the movie when the cartoon sets up everything in the intro to every episode.

Red Bones
Aug 9, 2012

"I think he's a bad enough person to stay ghost through his sheer love of child-killing."

I watched The Last Airbender with rifftrax a few years ago and it was so boring even with commentary that I honestly cannot remember if I finished watching it or just turned it off halfway through.

Count Chocula
Dec 25, 2011

IF YOU SEE ME POSTING OUTSIDE OF THE AUSPOL THREAD PLEASE TELL ME THAT I'M MISSED AND TO START POSTING AGAIN
I'm surprised Nickolodeon didn't take the franchise away from M.Night and give it to another director. The cartoon still had enough goodwill.

I know they said to put my tweet down, BUT I WILL NOT PUT MY TWEET DOWN, SIR!

Count Chocula fucked around with this message at 22:32 on Mar 7, 2017

Tiny Brontosaurus
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
Has there been a kid's tv cartoon that successfully adapted to a live action film? The Scooby Doo franchise made money, but it always looked like garbage, and so did Fat Albert.

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

Tiny Brontosaurus posted:

Has there been a kid's tv cartoon that successfully adapted to a live action film? The Scooby Doo franchise made money, but it always looked like garbage, and so did Fat Albert.

Transformers is having a fifth movie this summer. The TMNT movies probably count since those are more inspired by the cartoon than the comic. Looking over the `based on a cartoon` list on IMDB, that's about it, everything else is serious trash.

Count Chocula
Dec 25, 2011

Didn't the first Scooby Doo movie have James Gunn writing it? Apparently the Josie & the Pussycats movie is smart satire with a good soundtrack... I know the AV Club loved it.

Tiny Brontosaurus
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

duz posted:

Transformers is having a fifth movie this summer. The TMNT movies probably count since those are more inspired by the cartoon than the comic. Looking over the `based on a cartoon` list on IMDB, that's about it, everything else is serious trash.

I knew I was missing something obvious. Both of those franchises are probably better than Scooby Doo, but Avatar really could have taken cartoon adaptations to another level if they'd tried even a little bit.

Count Chocula posted:

Didn't the first Scooby Doo movie have James Gunn writing it? Apparently the Josie & the Pussycats movie is smart satire with a good soundtrack... I know the AV Club loved it.

Josie and the Pussycats is surprisingly good and worth a watch. It's also an interesting time capsule - there's a scene that functions as a joke about product placement, and almost all the brands featured are defunct now.

Count Chocula
Dec 25, 2011

The first TMNT movie was more based on the comics... I saw Brendan McCarthy, designer of Fury Road, give a talk and he talked about making the suits.

Masters of the Universe isn't great, but it's a perfectly fun b-movie with Frank Langella as Skelator.

Tiny Brontosaurus
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Count Chocula posted:

The first TMNT movie was more based on the comics... I saw Brendan McCarthy, designer of Fury Road, give a talk and he talked about making the suits.

Masters of the Universe isn't great, but it's a perfectly fun b-movie with Frank Langella as Skelator.

Robbing James Carville of the role he was born to play

clown shoes
Jul 17, 2004

Nothing but clowns down here.

Robbing James Carville of the role he was born to play

I don't think he had hatched yet.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

clown shoes posted:

I don't think he had hatched yet.

lol way to buy into the right wing smear that James Carville isn't eternal, always slumbering, waiting to be awoken.

clown shoes
Jul 17, 2004

Nothing but clowns down here.

Tatum Girlparts posted:

lol way to buy into the right wing smear that James Carville isn't eternal, always slumbering, waiting to be awoken.

I like Carville, have met him several times (we're from the same place), and he loves jokes like this.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit
All I know is I tried to watch this movie once and quit at Fatcore. It's nice to know that seems to be the threshold of madness

Tiny Brontosaurus
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

clown shoes posted:

I like Carville, have met him several times (we're from the same place), and he loves jokes like this.

Tell him he's awesome and that you know a podcast he should guest star on.

Tell me you guys wouldn't want to hear Carville's stab at a Stallone impression.

Count Chocula
Dec 25, 2011

Iron Crowned posted:

All I know is I tried to watch this movie once and quit at Fatcore. It's nice to know that seems to be the threshold of madness

AHEM his (or her?) name is Appa & they're the best flying water buffalo friend a boy could have! I dunno what a Falco is, is that from the 80s movie pop punk bands always put on shirts?

Last Guardian but with Appa! I dunno how Platinum screwed up the Airbender game.

CountFosco
Jan 9, 2012

Welcome back to the Liturgigoon thread, friend.
Fat Spies I'm sure would be fine, but the movie I really want still is Fat Ghost.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK
You know, I didn't realize that if you hadn't watched the cartoon the movie made so little sense. Then again the cartoon did have the advantage of using actual actors doing voice acting. Like Mako, or our lord and savior Clancy Brown.

Count Chocula posted:

AHEM his (or her?) name is Appa & they're the best flying water buffalo friend a boy could have! I dunno what a Falco is, is that from the 80s movie pop punk bands always put on shirts?

Last Guardian but with Appa! I dunno how Platinum screwed up the Airbender game.

Please don't be like the girls walking out of Logan trying to figure out what was with that "weird song" playing over the credits. If you don't know Johnny Cash or Never Ending Story, get to the youtubes.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Tell him he's awesome and that you know a podcast he should guest star on.

Tell me you guys wouldn't want to hear Carville's stab at a Stallone impression.

Thanks to this podcast, every time I hear someone say something like "wouldn't you like to see/hear <person> do <thing>, all I can think of is Gallagher.

"I can do a Stallone impression, Mark."

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

Gyges posted:

Keep in mind that he also changed the Earthbender prison from a metal rig in the middle of the ocean to a literal campsite in some foothills.

Yeah, usually complaining about how an adaptation is different from the source material is boring :goonsay: but that's a great example of how the movie being so dumb is even more frustrating because they went out of their way to be stupider than a show for kids.

The Earthbender prison ship episode was a clever little story that also helped establish the setting and the characters while being consistent with the rules they had established for the setting: a bunch of people with the power to control the earth are kept on a metal ship in the middle of the ocean because that way there's no dirt for them to fight back with, since they're so reliant on their powers they lose hope and become docile and disillusioned, Aang his friends wind up in the prison and he inspires everyone and leads them because he's The Avatar, and they end up beating the bad guys because they realize that while the ship is made of metal the coal that powers it is still earth so they drive their captors away by attacking them with giant piles of flaming coal. Also the prison warden is voiced by George Takei.

By comparison in the movie they're being kept on a dirt island even though they have dirt powers and then they suddenly remember that and beat the bad guys by doing jazzercise while a rock slowly floats across the screen.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_RpgbZcHk_A

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Evil Mastermind posted:

Thanks to this podcast, every time I hear someone say something like "wouldn't you like to see/hear <person> do <thing>, all I can think of is Gallagher.

"I can do a Stallone impression, Mark."

Or Louie Anderson doing all the roles of a movie, tv show, or podcast,