Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

What is the Matrix 🌐? We just don't know 😎.

Buglord
Autism doesn't excuse or really have anything to do with having awful awful awful ideas about sex and sexuality

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Famethrowa
Oct 5, 2012

Cup Runneth Over posted:

Not this poo poo again. He has autism, stop being ableist.

Is autism an excuse for being a shithead now? That's dumb and really insulting to other people with autism.

Orv
May 4, 2011
Shut up idiots.

Lunethex
Feb 4, 2013

Me llamo Sarah Brandolino, the eighth Castilian of this magnificent marriage.

Orv posted:

Shut up idiots.

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

Improbable Lobster posted:

Autism doesn't excuse or really have anything to do with having awful awful awful ideas about sex and sexuality

I mean it kind of did in this case. They were willing to change it once people brought it up to them, but they didn't actually understand the deal at first and were just going off of I think it was statistics from like okcupid.

E: This feels like a pretty relevant thing to bring to the conversation, they didn't know what to do for that whole social bit so they went off dumb numbers from a dating site. People told them it's weird and they then understood that it sounded like. :shrug:

Yardbomb fucked around with this message at 20:45 on Mar 7, 2017

Jagged Jim
Sep 26, 2013

I... I can only look though the window...

Orv posted:

Shut up idiots.

Psycho Landlord
Oct 10, 2012

What are you gonna do, dance with me?

Orv posted:

Shut up idiots.

Orv
May 4, 2011
Relevant or not, the awful mods thread is not the place for social issues. If someone is stupid about mod ideas, make fun of them. If it spills over into the realm of people getting uptight about social issues, leave it alone.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Don't make the mod thread bring in the mods.

Thefluffy
Sep 7, 2014
http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=653286255&searchtext=

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Yardbomb posted:

I mean it kind of did in this case. They were willing to change it once people brought it up to them, but they didn't actually understand the deal at first and were just going off of I think it was statistics from like okcupid.

Lol nah man, I'm pretty sure he got his "statistics" from bad video game sex mods considering what he implemented.

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway
it's not continuing to derail to express confusion and dismay that "moe the sex slave" is in the game and not a mod????

Magmarashi
May 20, 2009

Hemingway To Go! posted:

it's not continuing to derail to express confusion and dismay that "moe the sex slave" is in the game and not a mod????

Critical examination does not carry with it the same smug sense of self-superiority as just pointing and laughing at things.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

Hemingway To Go! posted:

I mean to be fair backer bios are essentially mods that people paid the developer to include in the base game. There's no quality control (have you played Prison Architect? Same problem).

Magmarashi
May 20, 2009

The Cheshire Cat posted:

I mean to be fair backer bios are essentially mods that people paid the developer to include in the base game. There's no quality control (have you played Prison Architect? Same problem).

The lack of 'quality control' on backer rewards always puzzles me. Someone has to actually go through those submissions to transfer them to the game, you'd honestly think it not that hard to shoot an email to someone telling them 'No, we're not going to add your Nazi OC or some poo poo about how you have issues with women, pick something else you loving grog'.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!

fishmech posted:

Lol nah man, I'm pretty sure he got his "statistics" from bad video game sex mods considering what he implemented.

Orv posted:

Shut up idiots.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong
Sorry you're mad about talking about dumb sex mods in the dumb sex mod thread?

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

but at least I don't have
a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

Magmarashi posted:

The lack of 'quality control' on backer rewards always puzzles me. Someone has to actually go through those submissions to transfer them to the game, you'd honestly think it not that hard to shoot an email to someone telling them 'No, we're not going to add your Nazi OC or some poo poo about how you have issues with women, pick something else you loving grog'.

But then they might cry to Kickstarter or Paypal about being unwilling to provide backer rewards and you lose all your money and :qq:

This is actually one of the reasons Kickstarter has some major issues.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Improbable Lobster posted:

Kickstarter is a plague

The Shadowrun games by Harebrained Schemes were funded through Kickstarter and those are great.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord

Tiggum posted:

The Shadowrun games by Harebrained Schemes were funded through Kickstarter and those are great.

Maybe that post wasn't entirely earnest, possibly on purpose

Orv
May 4, 2011

Magmarashi posted:

There's zero monetary (or sanity) reason to enforce any sort of quality control or standards over it. You waste the man hours implementing whatever method you have of showing them off, you do a Ctrl+F on submissions to make sure they're not racist hate tirades and you wash your hands of the entire thing.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Orv posted:

There's zero monetary (or sanity) reason to enforce any sort of quality control or standards over it.

besides pride in the quality of your work

Orv
May 4, 2011
I don't think even the people who pay $Texas for the chance to write their fanfic into a video game would think that fanfic would reflect on the quality of the developers own work.

(No you don't need to prove me wrong on this. Please.)

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
If it's in the work itself it would and it would be silly to consider otherwise.

You don't get to pick and choose within the game itself.

Orv
May 4, 2011
Then your options are
  • That's dumb
  • Kickstarter was a mistake

Pick two.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong
The proper thing to do is to announce from the start that player contributions will only be shown if the player turns on an option like Fallout New Vegas' Wild Wasteland trait (the one that activates a bunch more internet jokes and stuff to show up).

That way whatever weird idiots with too much money want is still in the game, but the regular player doesn't have to see that stuff in a normal playthrough.

Senior Scarybagels
Jan 6, 2011

nom nom
Grimey Drawer

Good god you guys, you passed over the best mod ever.

Edit: Only way to make it better is to make the attendant, Michael Tillotson, have a voice pack and says "So Says Mr. Stewart"

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

there's plenty of precedent for moderating backer contributions; inXile did it on both WL2 and Tides and there's no egregiously weird backer poo poo in either of those games to my knowledge

however, inXile is a well established company run by an industry veteran, and many crowdfunding projects are startups run by what's charitably described as scrappy, passionate up-and-comers who wouldn't have had a chance in hell of pursuing their dreams 20 years ago. the comparison is still slightly apples to oranges because reviewing the body of work you're soliciting from people is still a lot of work and startups are frequently overwhelmed by details like that.

this isn't to excuse any of this, merely to explain it.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
I think Rimworld does it right in the way Pillars of Eternity does its OC backer characters:

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

Since I guess we're talking about games with kickstarter backer OCs now, I was surprisingly impressed with how Valdis Story handled them. It's an extremely good metroidvania with a cartoony big-head style. You start off shipwrecked, and as you go through the game you can optionally find all the missing members of your crew, nearly all of which were named and described by backers. Two I particularly remember were a loner ninja named "Shadoboxxer" and a floating corgi with a top-hat who only speaks in barks named "Sir Pancakes." It sounds ridiculous, but their art and general presentation were so well matched with the rest of the game that I couldn't guess that they were backer-designed until I was almost done with it.

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

...your cybernetic implants, the only beauty in that meat you call "a body"...
Grimey Drawer

Leal posted:

I think Rimworld does it right in the way Pillars of Eternity does its OC backer characters:

Why do i have to read this from right to left

Lunethex
Feb 4, 2013

Me llamo Sarah Brandolino, the eighth Castilian of this magnificent marriage.

HenryEx posted:

Because Japan exists

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER

HenryEx posted:

Because Doom is anime as gently caress.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

It's actually meant to be read from left to right.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Yeah the doom comic reads left to right

doomguy is raving like a madman in that panel because he is under the influence of a berserker pack, he isn't meant to be 100% lucid.

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer
Over in Trad Games land, some rear end in a top hat made a stink after the developers for Blue Rose rewrote his he-man homophobe ranger NPC and his pet hawk 'Trigger Warning' into something that wasn't obviously trying to take a huge poo poo in their game. Nothing came of it.

Coolguye posted:

there's plenty of precedent for moderating backer contributions; inXile did it on both WL2 and Tides and there's no egregiously weird backer poo poo in either of those games to my knowledge

Didn't Tides ship with a backer-written tombstone describing someone committing suicide after drunkenly sleeping with a cross-dresser? Or am I thinking of Pillars?

It's not hard to hand a stack of contributions to an intern, or go through them a handful at a time during a break, but if the person doing the vetting thinks that old memes or crass jokes are still funny and worthy of inclusion, then you're back to square one.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Bieeardo posted:

Didn't Tides ship with a backer-written tombstone describing someone committing suicide after drunkenly sleeping with a cross-dresser? Or am I thinking of Pillars?
that was pillars unless i'm mistaken

also, interns aren't really a thing until you're as big as inXile at the absolute least, so in realistic terms to police this stuff you're taking a team member off more valuable work for a while.

Coolguye fucked around with this message at 15:59 on Mar 8, 2017

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord

Bieeardo posted:

Over in Trad Games land, some rear end in a top hat made a stink after the developers for Blue Rose rewrote his he-man homophobe ranger NPC and his pet hawk 'Trigger Warning' into something that wasn't obviously trying to take a huge poo poo in their game. Nothing came of it.

It's not hard to hand a stack of contributions to an intern, or go through them a handful at a time during a break, but if the person doing the vetting thinks that old memes or crass jokes are still funny and worthy of inclusion, then you're back to square one.

I think that one got changed after some people complained that it was bad

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer
The tombstone was sent back to the writer after people complained, which fanned a lousy joke into a small trash fire. It might have been avoided by skimming submissions for ASCII dicks and Pepes, and at the same time it might have flown under a proofreader's radar because they thought it was funny. Same kind of thing might go in a scenario where someone submits a sex slave to a game whose developer doesn't see anything odd about using a dating site's data for modeling sexual preferences.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

It was written well enough such that anybody skimming entries for suitability would not have parsed any problematic content within it.