Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

realbez posted:

Yeah, obviously it makes sense not to have 18 AFLW teams, but since Hawthorn don't have a team I pretty much lost interest after the first couple of rounds. I said I would go for Brisbane but in reality idgaf. I'll watch the grand final, but I can't bring myself to care beyond a cursory interest. There is no solution to this problem, I just wish I had a team to support.

Same, but no Geelong team to support.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

snaeksikn
Feb 28, 2010

:qq::qq::qq::qq::qq::qq::qq:
i think the aim is to improve the quality of the game over the first couple of seasons then that will draw in neutral fans naturally

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

"My club isn't in there" is what I faced with American MLS for a couple years. So I watched the league as a third party, Portland moved up, and now we're there.

The other argument, "what about the talent pool," seems to strike me as disingenuous. If - hypothetical - you opened the other 10 clubs up next year, most would struggle for a year or two, yes, but I think within five years they'd all be relatively competitive. Why? Creating demand - more women may start the game older, but there are plenty who have switched or play multiple codes in AFLW already. And I think the clubs would find a way.

It does suck when your team isn't there, but cmon, it's footy.

pkid
Jan 30, 2005

I was raised on the dairy, BITCH!
Footy is tribal. My tribe isn't represented.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

pkid posted:

Footy is tribal. My tribe isn't represented.

So you won't watch the Grand Final if your team's not there?

I get having less investment, but to blank it entirely seems foolish. And that's from somebody who has a tribe in basically every sport.

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Baby you can shout at me,
But you can't need my eyes.

harperdc posted:

"My club isn't in there" is what I faced with American MLS for a couple years. So I watched the league as a third party, Portland moved up, and now we're there.

The other argument, "what about the talent pool," seems to strike me as disingenuous. If - hypothetical - you opened the other 10 clubs up next year, most would struggle for a year or two, yes, but I think within five years they'd all be relatively competitive. Why? Creating demand - more women may start the game older, but there are plenty who have switched or play multiple codes in AFLW already. And I think the clubs would find a way.

More than doubling the players in the league would seriously affect the quality of matches and hurt the brand for its initial launch. The 21st and 22nd players going round at the moment are questionable skill wise already , how are they going to be under that model? (Actually its way more than doubling because they also need to expand the size of lists too).

There isn't the immediate player base for an eighteen team competition, and staggering entry is the only sensible solution. Also I don't think the presence or lack of a specific team is going to impact the volume of players coming through pathways. Girls are going to be keeping on playing footy because there is an elite level available, and the fact that their team isn't represented isn't going to stop a significant number of them.

realbez
Mar 23, 2005

Fun Shoe

harperdc posted:

So you won't watch the Grand Final if your team's not there?

I get having less investment, but to blank it entirely seems foolish. And that's from somebody who has a tribe in basically every sport.

Nobody said they are blanking it entirely, just that they don't really care about it.

Footy means little to me without the (probably unhealthy) emotional investment I have in Hawthorn. I'm not watching women's games with interest for the same reason I don't watch the WAFL or even most other AFL games most weeks: I don't care.

Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

I demand to be taken seriously

:aronrex:

harperdc posted:

The talent pool is already shallow enough with 8 teams. In a couple of years there should be enough to support an extra two teams but it doesn't have enough currently.

spamman
Jul 11, 2002

Chin up Tiger, There is always next season...
There's going to be an avalanche of talent in a couple of years as the first players who have gone from Auskick through the recently created junior leagues to being drafted.

thepokey
Jul 20, 2004

Let me start off with a basket of chips. Then move on to the pollo asado taco.
I think they need to worry about expanding the current team's list sizes first to account for things like injuries. I'd love to see it expand and have new teams ... I'd love for there to be an Essendon team one day, although by then it might be harder to switch away from the Bulldogs .. particularly if Brennan, Blackburn and Kearney are still playing! But I do understand that some people really can only fill fully committed when their colours are on the field. But I feel like adding too many teams too quickly could just prolong the process of getting the competition to a really healthy state talent-wise. At the moment it would be spread a bit thin ... but agree with most others here - give it a few more years for these Auskick kids to see there is a real serious avenue to go down by continuing on with their footy and with that the influx of girls getting involved at a younger age and it won't be too long before there will be enough great talent to warrant X number of new teams.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

I expect that next season there'll be no new teams, but lists will expand by about 5-7 players each, so there'll be a draft without delistings, only retirements, and the AFL will put a massive gate across any attempts at player poaching.

Also Ebony Marinoff is a muppet and also the best and she's great and my favourite https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zpBLOCBL4lQ

NTRabbit fucked around with this message at 11:45 on Mar 8, 2017

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

Has anyone set up a Supercoach League and the Ultimate Footy draft comp yet?

The highly professional photos I was hassled over https://goo.gl/photos/C8QA58PxSQNMJBed6

NTRabbit fucked around with this message at 13:40 on Mar 8, 2017

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib
2018 and 2019 drafts will have a few more codehoppers coming across, so older players getting picked up with a healthy number of 18 year olds too. 2019 will probably see 1 new team, possibly 2 so it will be a rather large draft, the new team will probably get to poach one non marquee player from each existing club so it isn't starting on the back foot.

2020 draft will see kids who never got told to go play netball, soccer or hockey coming through the system, they'll have played footy all their life and because of the huge growth in local clubs over the past 3 years and no doubt massive growth this year, there will be a lot of 18 year olds then who will be pretty good.

The AFL is currently funding changerooms at many suburban clubs around the country so they can have girls teams running alongside the boys and all the VFL clubs from this season will have womens teams too. It is really picking up steam and there will now be a few pathways for players in the future. Exciting times.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

The drafts are also going to be the same as they were the first time, as in it's only really a draft for the 4 Victorian teams, while the league remains in the current semi-pro state; ie they are going to continue to not force girls to leave their state if they don't want to/can't because of their 9 months of the year job etc

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

drunkill posted:

2018 and 2019 drafts will have a few more codehoppers coming across, so older players getting picked up with a healthy number of 18 year olds too. 2019 will probably see 1 new team, possibly 2 so it will be a rather large draft, the new team will probably get to poach one non marquee player from each existing club so it isn't starting on the back foot.

2020 draft will see kids who never got told to go play netball, soccer or hockey coming through the system, they'll have played footy all their life and because of the huge growth in local clubs over the past 3 years and no doubt massive growth this year, there will be a lot of 18 year olds then who will be pretty good.

The AFL is currently funding changerooms at many suburban clubs around the country so they can have girls teams running alongside the boys and all the VFL clubs from this season will have womens teams too. It is really picking up steam and there will now be a few pathways for players in the future. Exciting times.

Yep. They've planted the seeds, and it will start to grow.

I wonder if any of the non-Aussies (Americans, Irish Gaelic players, etc) who got a look last year will get another chance with deeper teams/more teams in the future?

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib
In relation to code hoppers and the size of club lists: http://www.afl.com.au/news/2017-03-08/blue-hosking-predicts-more-codehoppers-to-aflw

quote:

CARLTON has been one of the major beneficiaries of athletes moving from other sports to the NAB AFL Women's competition.

Marquee player Brianna Davey, who had a promising soccer career, is the club's vice-captain and has been has dominant for the Blues so far.
Sarah Hosking, pick No.19 in last year's draft, made the transition from netball and predicts more players will make the switch next season.

"The success of the likes of Davey, Erin Phillips (from basketball to Adelaide co-captain) and others will inspire others," Hosking said.
"It might be hard on other sports, but for athletes who have always wanted the opportunity to play footy, they're seeing [what's possible] first-hand."

The 21-year-old Hosking said making the switch to footy was the "best decision" she has made, notwithstanding her initial nerves.

"At the start I was a bit hesitant because I was worried I was giving up netball which I've played for over 10 years, but my club (Peninsula Waves) was really supportive in helping me make that decision and giving me the go-ahead to train and play footy," she said.

Carlton's playing list of 27 has been hit by three season-ending injuries, on top of losing Hosking's twin sister Jessica to serious knee and shoulder injuries before the competition started.
With that in mind, Hosking would like to see the AFLW club playing lists increased.

"It'll definitely be something they [the AFL] look at given there's been so many injuries in the first season," she said.
"Jess' been great. The commitment she's had knowing she wasn't going to play this season [has been impressive]. That's tough for anyone."

Hosking won the VFL Women's Rising Star Award in 2016 playing for Seaford and the midfielder was a key contributor in the Blues' win over the Bulldogs last weekend, finishing with 13 disposals and using her pace through the middle of the ground to advantage.

harperdc posted:

I wonder if any of the non-Aussies (Americans, Irish Gaelic players, etc) who got a look last year will get another chance with deeper teams/more teams in the future?
Well, the International Cup is back on again this August with a number of women's teams coming across. Perhaps a few will try out for clubs while they are here. Kate Shierlaw came across from the Wimbledon Hawks to play for Carlton, although she is Australian and was just living over there.

drunkill fucked around with this message at 14:40 on Mar 8, 2017

Boonys Cut Shot
Nov 5, 2004

Elite athlete
The Essendon saga is back! Hell yeah!

boy undead
Nov 11, 2006

time to get prolific with
the whiz kid

Shmoses posted:

It never leaves, it just slumbers

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

I think women's basketball in Australia is going to suffer the most in the short term, though I suspect that's an unintended side effect - netball is the one that's going to hurt the most long term. It's been 20 years since I was in public primary school, but I doubt things have changed much since then - if you were a boy, you played football in the winter (unless you had a recent immigrant background, then you played soccer). Girls who wanted to play sport played netball, and that was it. They had no other options, no matter whether they liked to play football or not, it was netball or nothing, because football was the blokes game and netball was the girls game, nothing else existed in winter. Insert Rugby for the northern states and it's probably identical.

Even though AFL teams bought into the league, it feels to me like the launch of AFLW happened 3 years ahead of schedule because of the launch of the new Superleague Netball; how much have you heard about the new, properly professional netball league compared to AFLW?

snaeksikn
Feb 28, 2010

:qq::qq::qq::qq::qq::qq::qq:

Shmoses posted:

What's happened now

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

snaeksikn posted:

What's happened now

Something about seeking help from Mick Gatto

Schlesische
Jul 4, 2012

Two former employees are ?suing? Essendon over some stuff and they're dishing their dirty laundry.

It remains to be seen how much of their dirty laundry is bullshit.

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

I'M CONCERNED ABOUT A NUMBER OF THINGS
2 disgruntled former employees getting a bit of revenge is the club's take on it. Wallis in particular is pretty annoyed his son got delisted last year

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib
Katie Brennan out for the rest of the season with her ankle injury.
I think the dogs will be beaten this weekend but they could still win against the Giants in the final round next week.

Nat Exon (Carlton) is also out for the remainder of the season with her broken ankle she got against the doggies last weekend. She even had 1 kick after the broke it.

Nutsngum
Oct 9, 2004

I don't think it's nice, you laughing.
Apparently Essendon have admitted to being in contact with Mick Gattto during the supplements saga. Fuuuuuuuucking amazing.

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Nutsngum posted:

Apparently Essendon have admitted to being in contact with Mick Gattto during the supplements saga. Fuuuuuuuucking amazing.

Whatever it takes

Also elliots dad and dean wallis are under police investigation for harassment and blackmail of Essendon and afl staff

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Christ our jumper looks bad

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Leave that thing here in the pre-season pls Jones

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

3 seconds left in the quarter and you take a couple running bounces back towards your own goal and kick it to the undefended best key forward in the comp. seriously good stuff.

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib
Hah, listening to the carlton aflw podcast ('gamechangers' on audioboom) which just came out this evening.

Apparently last week Brianna Davey just walked into the closed door match committee meeting and said she was playing, moved her magnetic name from the injury list to the backline and walked out of the room.

Nutsngum
Oct 9, 2004

drunkill posted:

Hah, listening to the carlton aflw podcast ('gamechangers' on audioboom) which just came out this evening.

Apparently last week Brianna Davey just walked into the closed door match committee meeting and said she was playing, moved her magnetic name from the injury list to the backline and walked out of the room.

Isnt that how Carlton's match committee runs normally though?

Spedman
Mar 12, 2010

Kangaroos hate Hasselblads

Solemn Sloth posted:

Christ our jumper looks bad

Odd seeing an AFL jumper with no advertising on the back

Nutsngum
Oct 9, 2004

Solemn Sloth posted:

Whatever it takes

Also elliots dad and dean wallis are under police investigation for harassment and blackmail of Essendon and afl staff

Not much follow up on this but Essendon has denied they approached him so its likely Gatto blowing smoke up people's asses to get into the papers.

Spedman
Mar 12, 2010

Kangaroos hate Hasselblads

That first comment

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Viney having an absolute mare. Oliver looks in good shape, Watts has been handy. Vince is well cooked

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Spedman posted:

Odd seeing an AFL jumper with no advertising on the back

2nd time in 5 years that we've been coming into the season without one of our jumper sponsors which is a bit concerning

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

drunkill posted:

Well, the International Cup is back on again this August with a number of women's teams coming across. Perhaps a few will try out for clubs while they are here. Kate Shierlaw came across from the Wimbledon Hawks to play for Carlton, although she is Australian and was just living over there.

:hurr: I totally spaced on the women's side of the IC :v:. I might also sneak down to help and support the Japan men too.

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Wellingham mounts Harmes back and punches him in the jaw, no whistle

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Going to be a seriously long season

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU