Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

All 3 shows and both seasons of Daredevil so far have had some incredibly dumb plot points, even if they go 100% serious we should be expecting some stupid.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

As Nero Danced
Sep 3, 2009

Alright, let's do this

Aphrodite posted:

All 3 shows and both seasons of Daredevil so far have had some incredibly dumb plot points, even if they go 100% serious we should be expecting some stupid.

The real question is good stupid or bad stupid. Luke Cage swung for good stupid and missed.

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!

SiKboy posted:

If your ideal iron fist show isnt openly, unashamedly and exuberantly dumb as gently caress then we disagree on whats awesome about iron fist.

:yeah:

I want kung fu fighting with lightning-fast kicks.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Senerio posted:

And it should be a little bit frightening.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

Ghetto Prince posted:

Well, they might go for an action comedy.

Given the tone of the teasers and trailers I'd say that's unlikely, though it's certainly the direction I'd have preferred it go.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Senerio posted:

Well, for this show you're gonna be getting lightning-fast action cuts. Close enough?

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!

McSpanky posted:

And it should be a little bit frightening.

Drifter posted:

Well, for this show you're gonna be getting lightning-fast action cuts. Close enough?

As long as the action cuts are made with... expert timing.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Gyges posted:

New Iron Fist Featurette is up.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dn49QoKGKr8

Madam Gao's role looks like it might be more interesting than just main antagonist from one of the other Celestial Cities.

Pretty terrible dialogue. Incredibly not psyched about this project, which is a drat shame.

ufarn
May 30, 2009
I don’t mean this in the usual Negative Nancy kind of way, but I do wonder what it is that we’re supposed to like about Rand. I imagine this will be one of those things where the supporting cast end up doing the heavy lifting.

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012
in the room where you sleep

ufarn posted:

I don’t mean this in the usual Negative Nancy kind of way, but I do wonder what it is that we’re supposed to like about Rand. I imagine this will be one of those things where the supporting cast end up doing the heavy lifting.

Danny is usually pretty chipper compared to the others right?

Lamont
Mar 31, 2007
Who knows what evil lurks in the hearts of men?
When do they usually release the first half dozen episodes to reviewers?

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

Apparently iron fist blows chunks. Early reviews are brutal.

HERAK
Dec 1, 2004

Narcissus1916 posted:

Any links to the reviews then?

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

IGN, Verge, Variety, Hollywood Reporter among others gave their reviews.

That trickle has now been a goddamn avalanche. Just type in "Iron Fist Reviews" and its hard to find a positive review. At all.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
Aw dang. I wasn't all that much invested in it either way but it still sucks to hear it's getting savaged in the reviews. :smith:

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

Narcissus1916 posted:

It's the hair. I knew it.

10 Beers
May 21, 2005

Shit! I didn't bring a knife.

HERAK posted:

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/review/marvels-iron-fist-review-984200

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Gorilla Salad posted:

It's the hair. I knew it.

A curly mop top just can't be taken seriously, I had the same problem with Archangel in X-Men Apocalypse (besides everything else that was a problem with X-Men Apocalypse).

E: gatdang, polygon's review is straightforward and damning: http://www.polygon.com/tv/2017/3/8/14712744/iron-fist-review

McSpanky fucked around with this message at 14:06 on Mar 8, 2017

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?
Well it's a good thing Finn quit Twitter recently withad those reviews coming out

Apoplexy
Mar 9, 2003

by Shine
It's Scott Buck. How that man got work after ruining Dexter is amazing to me.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

HERAK posted:

Here's Sepinwall take, he also says it is bad. On all levels, bad acting, bad writing, bad fight scenes.

ufarn
May 30, 2009
Everyone's panning it like it's the Ghost in the Shell of TV. The only thing complimented is, of course, the supporting cast who as always pick up the slack.

I think it's been getting progressively worse for Netflix/Marvel, so I'm glad this might get them to pull themselves together and salvage the universe.

How pessimistic should we be for Defenders - do we know anything about how competent the people directing and running that are?

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

Apoplexy posted:

Anyone who had anything to do with the later seasons of Dexter should have been shot into the sun for the good of all humanity.

howe_sam posted:

Here's Sepinwall take, he also says it is bad. On all levels, bad acting, bad writing, bad fight scenes.

Bad hair.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
Hahaha. Welp.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Apoplexy posted:

Oh christ, somehow I missed that this fuckstick was involved. All goodwill for the project retroactively and henceforth terminated.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.
Netflix should take a shot at Moon Knight.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

BiggerBoat posted:

Netflix should take a shot at Moon Knight.

Now there's a show that could've gotten away with a "is the hero just crazy?" plot in episode 2.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
It'll be interesting to see how many people in the thread actually watch the full season and which episode they drop out on. We should keep a tally. :v:

Someone's gonna have to volunteer to watch past episode 6 so they can tell the rest of us if it picks up or continues sucking.

Parkingtigers
Feb 23, 2008
TARGET CONSUMER
LOVES EVERY FUCKING GAME EVER MADE. EVER.
Edit: ^^^^^ I'll be watching this show no matter what, because my life is empty and meaningless. I've sat through far worse thing in the name of being a completionist. Can't blame anyone wanting a full trip report, I'll be here with OPINIONS about the show after watching it.

I read several of those reviews, and yeah it sounds like Iron Fist is a turkey. gently caress. Kinda had no idea what the series would be, never read any Iron Fist, so all my hopes were purely on the pedigree of the series that came before.

It is made worse that beforehand there was a big discussion that we really are overwhelmed with stories of poor little white rich boys becoming heroes, and that going with an Asian American Iron Fist would at least be *interesting*, let alone avoiding any dubious orientalism. They pushed ahead anyway, and now they've got to deal with it being vanilla as gently caress, and potentially boring, and people will forever wonder if the two things may be linked.

Reviews haven't even mentioned if there is any punching a dragon in the goddamn heart. Though, that could still be in the later part of the series. I hope it's at least an interesting enough base of a series that we get a foundation for better Defenders/Colleen Wing/Misty Knight/IF season 2 stuff in the future. I guess four shows which are about a moderately powerful hero walking around New York punching things was always going to be overkill, so did we come a series too far? Guess we find out for ourselves in a few more days.

I'm a little sad about the pre-release buzz. But then, I wasn't expecting Jessica Jones or Luke Cage to be as good as they were, so I'm still two series ahead of my initial "holy gently caress they are making a Daredevil series" nerdboner. I'm still winning.

Parkingtigers fucked around with this message at 15:59 on Mar 8, 2017

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Parkingtigers posted:

It is made worse that beforehand there was a big discussion that we really are overwhelmed with stories of poor little white rich boys becoming heroes, and that going with an Asian American Iron Fist would at least be *interesting*, let alone avoiding any dubious orientalism. They pushed ahead anyway, and now they've got to deal with it being vanilla as gently caress, and potentially boring, and people will forever wonder if the two things may be linked.

I'm really curious to see if they actually addressed any of that stuff in the show or whether they completely ignored it and carried on. You'd hope they'd be smart enough to incorporate it somehow.

Teek
Aug 7, 2006

I can't wait to entertain you.
In the hands of a competent producing team, there would seemingly be potential for a Heroes for Hire "season 2" with Luke Cage to be used to directly address all the race problems this apparently has. I doubt they would be self-aware enough to course correct though. It would probably involve dumping Buck and making the Luke Cage showrunner the sole showrunner on Heroes for Hire.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

I'm really curious to see if they actually addressed any of that stuff in the show or whether they completely ignored it and carried on. You'd hope they'd be smart enough to incorporate it somehow.

Based on the review from Polygon. No they were not.

Mars4523
Feb 17, 2014

Apoplexy posted:

The world is awfully forgiving to mediocre white men.

Jesus, this sounds like a mess.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Narcissus1916 posted:

IGN, Verge, Variety, Hollywood Reporter among others gave their reviews.

That trickle has now been a goddamn avalanche. Just type in "Iron Fist Reviews" and its hard to find a positive review. At all.

I think this is the first one of these that I'm gonna skip. Diminishing returns

Digital Jedi
May 28, 2007

Fallen Rib

It'll be interesting to see how many people in the thread actually watch the full season and which episode they drop out on. We should keep a tally. :v:

Someone's gonna have to volunteer to watch past episode 6 so they can tell the rest of us if it picks up or continues sucking.

Yea I'll suffer through the season to see the ending. I just like bad TV more than I should.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

howe_sam posted:

Based on the review from Polygon. No they were not.

Polygon posted:

Sure, this is a show where a white male character explains how to punch to an Asian-American, female head of her own dojo, in her own dojo

The world is ready for a tonedeaf white man

Digital Jedi posted:

Yea I'll suffer through the season to see the ending. I just like bad TV more than I should.

Same :(

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

They should just slide in Shangi-Chi after Iron Fist gets capped in the Defenders. He actually has a story and struggle worth telling (fighting to do good to balance out the evil his father did)!

edit: actually after reading that poly review, they should just have Wing replace him.

Shageletic fucked around with this message at 17:08 on Mar 8, 2017

notthegoatseguy
Sep 6, 2005

Shageletic posted:

They should just slide in Shangi-Chi after Iron Fist gets capped in the Defenders. He actually has a story and struggle worth telling (fighting to do good to balance out the evil his father did)!

edit: actually after reading that poly review, they should just have Wing replace him.

Rights surrounding Fu-Manchu will probably keep Shang-Chi from appearing in anything. He's had one appearance in some lovely mobile game and that's about it.

Electromax
May 6, 2007

If it's like most Netflix shows there will be 20 people in here about 13.25 hours after it goes live talking about what they thought of the 13th episode, regardless of quality.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?
I guess now it makes sense why they are releasing it on St. Patrick Day :v:

I'll probably enjoy it because I have really low standards in entertainment