Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Tie-breaker for serial you'd most like to find an episode from
This poll is closed.
The Massacre of St. Bartholomew's Eve 33 44.59%
The Highlanders 41 55.41%
Total: 74 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

What? No, I don't have a tear in my eye. It's just dust. Yeah, dust.

https://twitter.com/DWMtweets/status/837270658715377664

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FreezingInferno
Jul 15, 2010

THERE.
WILL.
BE.
NO.
BATTLE.
HERE!
I enjoyed Zagreus when I listened to it.

Of course, this was immediately after having a wisdom tooth hauled out of my head so my perceptions and opinions at the time may have been slightly off.

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!

Ratspeaker posted:

Hey all - I haven't been in the Doctor Who threads here for a while, but I'm popping in to ask if anyone else is going to Regeneration Who. I had four people I was going to room and hang with, but they've all had to cancel, and going to conventions alone sucks :(

Was supposed to go this year, but we're in Florida that weekend - taking the kiddo to Universal Studios for her 12th birthday.

She's more excited to see the Jurassic Park ride than anything else. This may explain why she loves Dinosaurs on a Spaceship so much.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS

CobiWann posted:

It really felt like a series finale, closing a story arc, Romana was great, and the way they "got rid" of dissidents with the Oubliette of Eternity...

What? No they didn't, it was a tool of last resort and thankfully never used. You're clearly misremembering.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

CobiWann posted:

Was supposed to go this year, but we're in Florida that weekend - taking the kiddo to Universal Studios for her 12th birthday.

She's more excited to see the Jurassic Park ride than anything else. This may explain why she loves Dinosaurs on a Spaceship so much.

The Jurassic Park ride is awesome, and I can't recommend it enough. The whole island area is really fun, including the Visitor Centre.

Also, conventions are great for making new friends! Go to the bar and social areas!

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Fil5000 posted:

What? No they didn't, it was a tool of last resort and thankfully never used. You're clearly misremembering.

I can't name a single person it was ever used on.

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!

Fil5000 posted:

Jerusalem posted:

I can't name a single person it was ever used on.

:golfclap:

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

Seriously though, the Oubliette and the fact that no one remembers it's been used is one of my favourite big finish things.

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

Davros1 posted:

What? No, I don't have a tear in my eye. It's just dust. Yeah, dust.

https://twitter.com/DWMtweets/status/837270658715377664

I just got done with the first box set, and it was great. I was a bit sad hearing the interviews where they said how pleased they were to be doing this unknown era and there were so many stories they could tell. :(

Then I realized how drat lucky we were that they banged out so many of them in so short a time. I have no idea if Hurt knew he might have been dying, but if he did and it spurred him to be so aggressive with doing so many stories with this character...well that's just amazing and we Doctor Who fans owe him a huge thanks. I mean normally it would have taken 2-3 years to get so many stories.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I'd read elsewhere that Hurt knew he was dying for quite some time and rather than seek treatments that would extend his life but vastly diminish the quality of it he chose to dive into additional work.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

It really is pretty amazing that we got Hurt as the Doctor, even if it was for only one televised episode. Although now I kind of wonder if it was a Raul Julia playing M Bison type scenario.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!

Astroman posted:

I have no idea if Hurt knew he might have been dying

He was in his 70s and had pancreatic cancer so odds are good

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer

Jerusalem posted:

:hfive:

Yeah there is actually a hell of a lot to point to as lacking or bad, but McGann is fantastic and the story just hits all the right emotional beats for me.

Zagreus on the other hand.... :stare:

It really baffles me that at no point in Zagreus' production did anyone look at the script and say "this has gotten way out of hand and needs to be made into something more coherent." Like it's so obviously overstuffed even for an extra-long story- a lot of good ideas but they shouldn't be thrown together.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
J-ru, can you have a prod at someone shitpost/trolling in the Rick & Morty thread? Or is that outside your remit?

remusclaw
Dec 8, 2009

Nothing to see here. Sorry.

remusclaw fucked around with this message at 18:49 on Mar 6, 2017

Tim Burns Effect
Apr 1, 2011

MONDASIAN CYBERMEN IN SERIES 10

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!

Tim Burns Effect posted:

MONDASIAN CYBERMEN IN SERIES 10

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

I'm hoping for some good Spare Parts-sequel body horror. :ohdear:

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

There's a spoiler thread for spoilers lads

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

BBC officially tweeted it.

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!

MrL_JaKiri posted:

Man, it's been so long since we had spoilers I plumb forgot.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

CobiWann posted:

Man, it's been so long since we had spoilers I plumb forgot.

It has been a looooooooong time between regular episodes, but the wait is almost over!

The_Doctor posted:

J-ru, can you have a prod at someone shitpost/trolling in the Rick & Morty thread? Or is that outside your remit?

Completely outside my remit sorry. Report them and the TVIV mod will make a decision on it.

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮
Was slightly disappointed the spoiler wasn't a return of the Zarbi.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!
"Okay, Peter, it's your last season in the role. What sort of episode do you want to do, more than anything else?"

"Well if you're giving ME the choice..."

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

Davros1 posted:

BBC officially tweeted it.

So? It's about politeness not rules lawyering

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

Jerusalem posted:

It has been a looooooooong time between regular episodes, but the wait is almost over!

Completely outside my remit sorry. Report them and the TVIV mod will make a decision on it.

This is a derail, but how long have you been a mod? I never noticed.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer

Cleretic posted:

"Okay, Peter, it's your last season in the role. What sort of episode do you want to do, more than anything else?"

"Well if you're giving ME the choice..."

Nobody's said anything about Chumblies yet?

Tim Burns Effect
Apr 1, 2011

MrL_JaKiri posted:

MrL_JaKiri posted:

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Big Mean Jerk posted:

This is a derail, but how long have you been a mod? I never noticed.

Couple of months now, so twice as long as the remaining wait for NEW DOCTOR WHO :woop:

Organza Quiz
Nov 7, 2009

MrL_JaKiri posted:

The OP of every doctor who thread posted:

NO SPOILERS
By edict of the moderators, this is a SPOILER-FREE ZONE. Other than backstage stuff (hiring people), DO NOT POST SPOILERS. AT ALL. Even if Queen Elizabeth II, Barack Obama, and Vladimir Putin have a three-way press conference on every channel to reveal life on Mars and also that Martha Jones is a Rutan, DON'T POST IT HERE. If you must post about spoilers, go to the spoiler thread. Episode titles can be spoiler-y, so use discretion when discussing episodes yet to air. For example, 'Hide' doesn't spoil anything, but 'OH poo poo IT'S THE DALEKS' does.

Even if we are going to rules lawyer, the rules specifically say it doesn't matter who or what posted the spoilers, it doesn't go here.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
It shouldn't have been posted but for what it's worth it's going to be basically impossible not to know about it in advance anyway.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

Are you literally an imbecile

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮
The Weeping Angels are in the news, but it's not a Series 10 spoiler.

Gordon Shumway
Jan 21, 2008

all-Rush mixtape posted:

Someone at the CIA must be a Whovian.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

all-Rush mixtape posted:

The named the program that because it got great results first time, then they changed up how it worked and it was still good but not quite as effective as it used to be.

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!

Jerusalem posted:

The named the program that because it got great results first time, then they changed up how it worked and it was still good but not quite as effective as it used to be.

Seriously the CIA has lost a step or two since the 70's.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

I'm into series 26 on my front-to-back viewing.

Battlefield is fun and good and bad. I gather that the prose and audios have filled out the story some, but to have Capaldi play the other half of that plot would be outright jolly.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

CommonShore posted:

Battlefield is fun and good and bad. I gather that the prose and audios have filled out the story some, but to have Capaldi play the other half of that plot would be outright jolly.

It's one of the few things that the series as a whole hasn't mined, surprisingly. There are a handful of references to the "Merlin" incarnation, and the suggestion that the Seventh Doctor is not a fan of his, but they were mostly restricted to the NA's IIRC.

A quick wiki walk over on TARDIS wiki (eugh) has them suggesting he actually appeared in a couple of NA's, but I think it's just another case of that website trying to draw a particularly long bow. At most it was probably just some implication in the books -- and that's not just because I'd prefer Merlin to be the War Doctor.

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!
Battlefield gets a lot of flak, but I really think it's the Brigadier's finest hour.

quote:

The Destroyer: Ahh... little man. What do you want of me?

Brigadier: Get off my world!

The Destroyer: Pitiful. Can this world do no better than you as their champion?

Brigadier: Probably. I just do the best I can.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cerv
Sep 14, 2004

This is a silly post with little news value.

CommonShore posted:

Open Source Idiom posted:

It's one of the few things that the series as a whole hasn't mined, surprisingly. There are a handful of references to the "Merlin" incarnation, and the suggestion that the Seventh Doctor is not a fan of his, but they were mostly restricted to the NA's IIRC.

A quick wiki walk over on TARDIS wiki (eugh) has them suggesting he actually appeared in a couple of NA's, but I think it's just another case of that website trying to draw a particularly long bow. At most it was probably just some implication in the books -- and that's not just because I'd prefer Merlin to be the War Doctor.

on a scale of 9 to 10 how much do you love Attack of the Cybermen?

• Locked thread