Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

No... this is all wrong... this whole operation has just gone completely sidewaysface
I found that getting the nightvision perk and then throwing something at the sec bot makes it come towards you, since they do not have night vision you should be able to run around and then past it since I think they can only see you if you are next to them. I found one of those visitor rooms past it with reinforced glass dividing it, but there was windows on the other side so it let light in. Its totally doable though I didn't bother getting the stuff needed to make the home wrecker to break out, it was just a test run.

Edit:Second try, succesful prison break, making the strings will take forever to dissemble the rags and reassemble the strings so I instead made a bunch of makeshift lock picks and just picked the doors and walked out.

Telsa Cola fucked around with this message at 04:49 on Mar 6, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

0lives
Nov 1, 2012

Shady Amish Terror posted:

Yeah, my first real test-case for the fusion blaster ended similarly (and more lethally), given I didn't quite grasp the idea that something called a 'fusion blaster' might have a minimum safe range requirement and might be a poor choice for subterranean combat. I mean, I know some newer players try to avoid spoilers, but it shouldn't be a big surprise that something that sounds hideously dangerous might actually be hideously dangerous, and therefor accordingly awesome.

Books are replaceable at least, even if it's annoying. If there's anything truly difficult to replace that was lost in the blast, you can always just assign a debug menu hotkey in your options and use the cheat menu to give yourself copies of the lost items (I ASSUME that's still an option anyways, I haven't gone digging for it in the latest experimental). It's not as though Cataclysm is a competitive leaderboard game or anything, and simply having to remake/reorganize the items seems more than annoying enough.

Also, to be sure, have you tilled through the rubble/ash with a shovel yet? Items will sometimes survive that sort of circumstance, although it is quite rare.
Nah, nothing irreplaceable lost, although I did lose my 11 improved solar panels for the 12 I needed for my solar array. :cripes: I'm already at the part where I'm a cybernetic god so really it could be a lot worse. Also surprisingly, no ash or rubble.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

chiefnewo posted:

That's alright, my 50th character in the same prison just picked up a pair of scissors off a dead brute. Now to die another 8000 times getting them past the secbot.
yeah almost every post about the prison which involves game knowledge also seems to just assume that you could collect all that stuff in the dark while dodging secbots and brute zombies - and then carry it to the visitation window or another light source - which is hilarious because I've have never found any other light source in a prison, except lugging a pile of poo poo in the dark past a secbot who wiil straight 1-shot me if I get within 2 squares, until I can see daylight from a visitation window.

ninjaedit and yeah I can throw things to move a secbot but it's avoiding the larger issue which seems to be "lol that poo poo is easy once u craft a knife" with no actual explanation of how those folks got away with it in the dark, when so many of us are struggling to even get away from the building

coyo7e fucked around with this message at 10:34 on Mar 6, 2017

chiefnewo
May 21, 2007

I gave up on prison starts and went back to Very Bad Day starts as they are less tedious. :)

weak wrists big dick
Dec 18, 2012

good job. you are getting legitametly upset because I won't confrom to your secret internet cliques gross social standards. Sorry I don't like anime. Sorry I don't like being gross on the internet. Sorry that you are getting caremad.

your stupid shit internet argument is also only half true once I get probated, so checkmate anyways but nice try.

]

Telsa Cola posted:

Edit:Second try, succesful prison break, making the strings will take forever to dissemble the rags and reassemble the strings so I instead made a bunch of makeshift lock picks and just picked the doors and walked out.

Cataclysm.txt

There is always an easier way of doing things, but the easy way isn't always the fun way

Carcer
Aug 7, 2010
I thought the flaw in that approach was you get SMG turret'd to death the second you step out the front door.

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.
How exactly are the SMG turrets arranged? I don't remember the layout, but I do know turrets have garbage night vision so it might be trivial to walk out at night time depending on how they're positioned.

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

No... this is all wrong... this whole operation has just gone completely sidewaysface
There are no other light sources besides the visitation window, I brought everything I needed to the window and made a knife there, this involved dodging the sec bot which I accomplished by throwing splintered wood at it from as far away as possible and then moving out its way and then past it. Collecting the material to do this in the dark should be easy to do even without the night vision trait since all you need is to bash a bed and a few lockers to get the material,splintered wood can be gotten without a knife by just bashing a chair or two with your hands or a two by four. I could have spent the three in game hours dissembling the rags to make threads to make the homewrecker and bash my way out but that seemed tedious and not really fun so I brought the metal scraps to the window instead and made a bunch of lock picks. There was no Sec bot outside when I escaped so maybe I either got lucky or it was somewhere else, they have garbage night vision though so you could just wait in the visitation room till its night and just walk out past it.

If there is a part you are struggling with or have a question about ask and Ill tell you how I did it, I think the main issue is not actually light since you have a guaranteed source of it a the window but controlling where the sec bot is so you can walk past it, the respond to noise so you have to be careful when you bash down the door since thats what draws them towards that spot. I will run a couple more worlds to make sure my prison layout wasnt just lucky.

Telsa Cola fucked around with this message at 21:27 on Mar 6, 2017

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!

Telsa Cola posted:

I found that getting the nightvision perk and then throwing something at the sec bot makes it come towards you, since they do not have night vision you should be able to run around and then past it since I think they can only see you if you are next to them. I found one of those visitor rooms past it with reinforced glass dividing it, but there was windows on the other side so it let light in. Its totally doable though I didn't bother getting the stuff needed to make the home wrecker to break out, it was just a test run.

very good call, dude

gonna play with this a bit

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

okay, so here's the downlow:

- homewrecker is not practical; period. it takes an entire day of daylight to make 3 long strings from thread using rags as cutting fodder. the prison mess does not have 3 days of life support to make a homewrecker happen.
- improvised lockpicks, however, are very practical. even at 0 mechanics it's not too hard to pop open a door. takes a minute, but as long as the security bot isn't nearby you can do it.
- after you exit the prison, you are basically home free. the front gate will be guarded by badass turrets but you do not need to deal with that crap. just go around the outer wall, climb the chain link fence, and whack the barbed wire with your pipe. game tape solved, done.

there is a problem however in that sometimes a second security bot can spawn in the main entrance, and that's gg. you can manipulate the security bots by making noise and clanging on the walls with your pipe, but in that one-wide corridor you are going to get shot to death, 100% guaranteed. i have...a very extreme idea on how to handle this particular problem but i require further testing.

Shalebridge Cradle
Apr 23, 2008

Coolguye posted:

i have...a very extreme idea on how to handle this particular problem but i require further testing.

Those are always the best ideas

CheeseThief
Dec 28, 2012

Two wholesome boys to brighten your day

Marenghi posted:

Joke monsters are the worst. I remember picking the game up after they had been introduced and getting wrecked by triller zombies. Michael Jackson dancing zombies that could revive iirc and wrecked my poo poo.

Throw a grenade or molotov at the Thriller, he doesn't regenerate and it's the only way to reliably hit him past the dancers.

Do not wait around once you throw it, you don't want to be there for the aftermath.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

so, here's the deal.

if you take a point in survival to start out with, you can build a fire drill. my initial plan was to set a door on fire and exploit the fact that the yard is technically outside and far away from the walls to burn the entire prison down, and then walk out through the rubble.

there's a couple of problems with this, each more of an issue than the last.

1) it requires a ton of time just waiting for the fire to do its thing out in the yard, which is going to be cold. due to the lack of light in safe spots, you can't just bootstrap yourself to tailoring 3 to make some decently warm clothing, and blankets on the infirmary bed are not guaranteed.
2) crafting for an extended period of time in the visitation room is not reasonable. even with Light Step you will eventually make some noise that the security bots will investigate, and then you are cornered.
3) the security bots can sometimes survive the raging hellstorm consuming the prison, and if they do they will spot you trivially and murder you.

however, this gave me a different idea. if we have the fire drill, we can get light down in the mess by loading one of the ovens with wood (which is functionally infinite thanks to the large tables and many chairs) and lighting it with the drill. this also solves the primary problem of life support down in the mess; the big issue was not food, the pantry has raw food that can at least keep you going for a couple of days, but water. the only guaranteed source of moisture is the toilets, and if they end up all having tainted water you will not be able to keep moisture in your body. however, you're practically guaranteed to find a tin can of something in the pantry, which you can then use to boil water and get some decent moisture. given the time and light to disassemble thread and craft them into strings, it will take you a few days to get out of the prison, but you can get the homewrecker and do it safely in basically any case. given usual spring starts it is probably prudent to stay in the prison for a few days anyway, since the weather outside will warm up and make it more likely that you will survive a potentially long walk to town.

all of this sounds good. the biggest issue i see with it is that you will need to walk past the main hallway twice instead of just once. that poo poo is dangerous enough the first time.

this has turned into a delightful challenge and a wonderful narrative. the sneaking past the security bots becomes very horror movie, and then if you survive that part you end up a shivering hobo desperately stoking a fire in a dark hole to keep yourself going long enough to effect your escape.

Coolguye fucked around with this message at 16:11 on Mar 7, 2017

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

Comedy option: Let a brute punt you through a wall/bars to freedom.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

you joke but i tried that having found out that a brute can spawn in the yard.

unfortunately, your body gives way before the reinforced glass in Visitation does.

also, worth noting: i spawned a homewrecker in debug mode real quick just to make sure it actually could damage a concrete wall, and spoilers it can't. it is still ostensibly worth getting if there is a robot directly in your way because it definitely can break through reinforced glass, but bashing through the walls like the pissed off reincarnation of john henry is not an option.

Coolguye fucked around with this message at 08:13 on Mar 8, 2017

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

They can punt you through concrete though, I must have been lucky because I only took a bar of damage to each part. I imagine they can punt you through the prison bars.

Telsa Cola fucked around with this message at 08:54 on Mar 8, 2017

Shady Amish Terror
Oct 11, 2007
I'm not Amish by choice. 8(
Yeah, my understanding from anecdotal evidence is that the launch/impact damage from brutes is a somewhat farcical extreme interpretation of elastic vs. inelastic collisions. If you get punted THROUGH something, it does hurt, but it seems to be not a lot; aside the pain, you have surprisingly reasonable odds of dusting yourself off mostly intact. If you get punted INTO something that doesn't yield...you kind of go splat. Brutes can knock you through surprisingly tough barriers, but that's probably calculated in a similar way to trying to bash through those obstacles with any other attack, meaning there may be variance in how often it does or doesn't work for a given wall type.

A question does occur to me, in my tiredness. Is dumping a ceiling with z-levels on and then climbing up to the roof possible, since that appears to be a valid verb now? May require fire/cooperative zombies/cooperative drops to do the required damage, and I haven't tested how robust the option to climb is, only that it has a message for making the attempt; it may need furniture to climb on or a valid grappling hook/other climbing gear, if it works at all.

Oh, wait, another funny stupid thought. If you started with some construction, couldn't you build and then knock down a wooden wall to potentially get egress from a collapse, or at least open a hole in the ceiling? Probably not feasible, since you'd need at least a hammer of some kind. E: Too tired, need to actually look at some prison layouts next time I think about this.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Telsa Cola posted:

They can punt you through concrete though, I must have been lucky because I only took a bar of damage to each part. I imagine they can punt you through the prison bars.

i've been slammed into about 100 concrete walls during my time playing with this start and i have never been punted through one of them. are you using the stable? that might explain the dissonance here, i'm using the experimental.

Shady Amish Terror posted:

A question does occur to me, in my tiredness. Is dumping a ceiling with z-levels on and then climbing up to the roof possible, since that appears to be a valid verb now? May require fire/cooperative zombies/cooperative drops to do the required damage, and I haven't tested how robust the option to climb is, only that it has a message for making the attempt; it may need furniture to climb on or a valid grappling hook/other climbing gear, if it works at all.

i'm 99% sure that z-levels do not interact with each other in this way, the z-level code is pretty limited right now and has been for years.

Coolguye fucked around with this message at 15:07 on Mar 8, 2017

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Winner of the TSR Memorial Award for Excellence In Grogging
I once saw a brute punch an NPC into one side of a car and out the other. They passed through the engine block. Just completely obliterated four consecutive tiles of vehicle with their flying body.

They did not survive.

On that same character, the same brute punched me into an ordinary wood-and-plaster wall and I didn't break through, but also took only moderate damage despite not wearing any armour. I think brutes are basically sorcery and cannot be trusted or predicted.

Shady Amish Terror
Oct 11, 2007
That seems fair. My anecdote I had been judging from is getting punched through two cars and taking only minor damage, and later in that same fight getting bopped into a wall that I didn't break through which broke almost every bone in my body.

Sorcery it is!

Carcer
Aug 7, 2010
Have you guys tried kiting the brutes into the sec bots or are they on different z levels?

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Carcer posted:

Have you guys tried kiting the brutes into the sec bots or are they on different z levels?

they can be on the same z-level but the sec bots can gun down the brutes in one smg blast. i'd be surprised if even a shocker brute had a chance against the secbots.

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

Coolguye posted:

i've been slammed into about 100 concrete walls during my time playing with this start and i have never been punted through one of them. are you using the stable? that might explain the dissonance here, i'm using the experimental.

i'm 99% sure that z-levels do not interact with each other in this way, the z-level code is pretty limited right now and has been for years.

Latest experimental, he punted me through the wall in the guard barracks into that center room with a terminal. Went through the NW corner. It was great because I picked up a tonfa that was in there and beat it to death.

For brute kiting you are better off kiting them to break walls or bars if its possible. Smg bots will gently caress anything up in a burst or two.

My first prison run that went well is now over because a grenade dropped from a zombie onto a defense fire I set and cooked off, shredding my torso. It sucked because the prison spawned next to a farm and close by too an IFV and an Atomic Mini Tank which I smashed together to make my mobile base.

Telsa Cola fucked around with this message at 00:53 on Mar 9, 2017

Switzerland
Feb 18, 2005
Do what thou must do.

can never have too many lasers on yer weapon

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Should have done that to a laser rifle.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

Switzerland posted:

can never have too many lasers on yer weapon

When are they going to add zeroing for your weapons so you have to set the distance for your lasers to get the benefit of the attachment at certain rangers?

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Winner of the TSR Memorial Award for Excellence In Grogging
If you're quite sure you cannot take on a brute or hulk but you desperately need it out of the way ASAP, you can always try to bait it into smashing through as many walls as possible while it chases you. If you can keep your distance enough that you aren't caught in the rubble when it eventually triggers a collapse, there's a good chance the thing will die outright, and if not, it'll likely be injured enough to give you a decent shot at taking it out before you get turned into a smear. It's not the most reliable method, but it's a decent last-ditch gamble.

Leal posted:

When are they going to add zeroing for your weapons so you have to set the distance for your lasers to get the benefit of the attachment at certain rangers?

I'm going to guess they'll start on it within the next couple of months, completely goof up firearm functionality for months while trying to fine-tune it, and finish it sometime around 2020. Three months later it'll be removed again when a minor change in the way the game handles certain functions catastrophically breaks it and nobody cares enough to update it to the new versions.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

where the gently caress are the labs in the latest dailies

there's hotels all over the drat place but not a lab in sight

Kayle7
Mar 19, 2012

Little solace comes
to those who grieve
when thoughts keep drifting
as walls keep shifting
and this great blue world of ours
seems a house of leaves
moments before the wind.

DOWN JACKET FETISH posted:

where the gently caress are the labs in the latest dailies

there's hotels all over the drat place but not a lab in sight

man true, I found a vault before I found a lab this time

Quiet Feet
Dec 14, 2009

THE HELL IS WITH THIS ASS!?

Well, the mall is on fire.

Reckon I'm done looting it now.

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

It might have been over kill but launching a vehicle mounted ATGM at a Chicken Walker is really satisfying.

I brought my Drake
Jul 10, 2014

These high-G injections have some serious side effects after pulling so many jumps.

Quiet Feet posted:

Well, the mall is on fire.

Reckon I'm done looting it now.

Any rare loot in the mall? There are two on my map (and jfc what is it with the hotels) and I'm wondering if it's worth losing some of my NPC posse to mall zombies.

Quiet Feet
Dec 14, 2009

THE HELL IS WITH THIS ASS!?

queserasera posted:

Any rare loot in the mall? There are two on my map (and jfc what is it with the hotels) and I'm wondering if it's worth losing some of my NPC posse to mall zombies.

I was mostly only finding restaurants and clothing stores but didn't get very far in before I thought "gee, that's a ton of zombies, maybe I could clear them out with fire." In my defense this did work but it turns out that setting a giant fire in the mall has further consequences.

Shalebridge Cradle
Apr 23, 2008

queserasera posted:

The one that sticks out is a camping store with very rare survival gear.

Shady Amish Terror
Oct 11, 2007
Clearing a mall is a long-term project (or, with the correct application of AoE and/or deathmobiles, a very messy short-term project), that USUALLY isn't worth the hassle in my experience. If you can clear the bulk of the horde, you probably don't need the stuff inside, but if you're stealthy and a bit lucky, you can go trawling for specialty stores. Malls tend to have lots of equipment that's hard to find in smaller stores; jewelry stores, outdoors/camping stores, and electronics stores spawn with a nice selection of hard-to-find items, but nothing is too vital in my experience. It's possible that I'm mistaken and there's SOMETHING really worthwhile in there somewhere, though; I haven't raided malls all that frequently due to the crowd they often present, and even fewer of those raids have ended without major structural damage either from the horde or my attempts to thin out the horde.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

the sheer number of spawns in a mall tends to mean that unless you are completely done with urban environments you're going to find something you like in there. even just from the zombies around, you can kill so many of them that they're statistically probable to drop a tool or something that you like (a hacksaw immediately comes to mind as something that tends to block people).

it's also a good choice for training your chosen combat skill to sky high levels as most of the enemies in there will be low-class zombies.

also, the best way to clear them out en-masse if you're looking for just a way to clean the place out is to cause a lot of noise and then pull zombies out to a kill zone that you can safely set on fire. this deprives you of the XP obviously but the context here is that you don't care about that.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Coolguye posted:

the sheer number of spawns in a mall tends to mean that unless you are completely done with urban environments you're going to find something you like in there. even just from the zombies around, you can kill so many of them that they're statistically probable to drop a tool or something that you like (a hacksaw immediately comes to mind as something that tends to block people).

it's also a good choice for training your chosen combat skill to sky high levels as most of the enemies in there will be low-class zombies.

also, the best way to clear them out en-masse if you're looking for just a way to clean the place out is to cause a lot of noise and then pull zombies out to a kill zone that you can safely set on fire. this deprives you of the XP obviously but the context here is that you don't care about that.

The last time I visited a mall there was a robo-tank outside it that brought the house down and set it on fire while trying to kill me and/or the zombies. :v:

Shady Amish Terror
Oct 11, 2007
Without spoiling too much for newer players, yeah, feel free to use V or the examine option to get a look at any new critters you encounter, and please treat anything armed with ranged weapons with appropriate caution. :v:

Kayle7
Mar 19, 2012

Little solace comes
to those who grieve
when thoughts keep drifting
as walls keep shifting
and this great blue world of ours
seems a house of leaves
moments before the wind.
Vaults and Malls are sweet long term clearout projects. I feel like using fire has it's own consequences, since yeah you kill everything, but you also destroy any possible loot there will be. Generally the best way to do it is play for a while until you kit out your sick RV full of tools and weaponry. You then just go ahead and head in every day, fire your ammo, then head back and reload for the next day

makes for a fun project so you can get that fake sense of video game accomplishment!

Kayle7 fucked around with this message at 20:11 on Mar 14, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

broadsword with fencing, no mouth armour, final destination