Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Honkbal?
Honk!
Honk.
Honk
This joke got old last WBC.
View Results

• Locked thread
Pancakes
May 21, 2001

Crypto-Rump Roast

Also known as an anti-Lester.

Pancakes fucked around with this message at 14:52 on Mar 7, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

New Concept Hole
Oct 10, 2012

東方動的
I just woke up and this is happening

E: and then nothing happens!

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair
This is a pretty fun article about Team Israel, but I'm mainly posting it because this header image of the team removing their hats and putting on yarmulkes for the national anthem is making me feel a thing.

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

To bring light to the darkness, whether that darkness be ignorance, injustice, apathy, or stagnation.
Team American Jews is great

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
Does anybody know if the Taiwanese aren't putting their best foot forward in terms of WBC players similar to the USA, or their league is just very slugger heavy, or something? It seemed like every pitcher they put out there was listed as having a 5+ ERA in the Taiwan baseball league.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Sydin posted:

Does anybody know if the Taiwanese aren't putting their best foot forward in terms of WBC players similar to the USA, or their league is just very slugger heavy, or something? It seemed like every pitcher they put out there was listed as having a 5+ ERA in the Taiwan baseball league.

There is apparently some kind of labor dispute that stopped Taiwan from sending their best players. I haven't seen details about it though.

will_colorado
Jun 30, 2007

Cuba vs China

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
Let's go China

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Like immediately after I posted "Japan might lose" was when Tsutsugoh put it out of reach, so what do I know.

I might try to go to a game in Tokyo but I get out of work at too late to make it, and the Japan games are all gonna be sold-out affairs.

will_colorado
Jun 30, 2007

"noted left-baller, Bruce Chen"

Ice To Meet You
Mar 5, 2007

If the Cuban pitcher threw 60 curveballs in a row, he would get 20 strikeouts.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Alfredo is a very well rounded man

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer
This start feels a lot like China Taipei.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair
Man, Cespedes looks exactly like Cespedes.

(:v:)

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
Didn't Cuba just play a game against Japan? Feels like this isn't enough time to be fair, idk.

Inspector_666 posted:

There is apparently some kind of labor dispute that stopped Taiwan from sending their best players. I haven't seen details about it though.

Ah, okay. Thanks.

The Aardvark
Aug 19, 2013

Just got my tickets for next Saturday. Probably gonna see Mexico v. Puerto Rico.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Sydin posted:

Didn't Cuba just play a game against Japan? Feels like this isn't enough time to be fair, idk.

Israel did just fine with the same scheduling :colbert:

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
Israel has the ultimate mascot Mensch on a Bench to give them strength though.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair
Oh my, what a Jeterian play by the Chinese SS there.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Very interesting relay choice there.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair
When baseball gets its Yao Ming, the Chinese development program is gonna blow up like nobody's business.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie

I can't wait until Cuban won't need to defect in order to play in the states.

WienerDog
Apr 8, 2007
Resident Rocking Dachshund
That slap double by Santos was amazing.

fisting by many
Dec 25, 2009

Inspector_666 posted:

The CPBL (taiwanese league) wanted one manager, the CTBA (chinese taipei baseball association, regulatory body in taiwan, also pro-China as you can tell from the name) wanted another, I forget who had the third vote but it went 2-1 against the CPBL's choice.

On this, and other CTBA incidents (corruption, embezzling money, banning certain political signs at games, and failing to live up to obligations at the previous WBC), the CPBL withdrew support as a league and left it up to its clubs.

Three clubs participated nonetheless, the Lamigo Monkeys boycotted, and apparently they had 3 or 4 position players who would be starting.

fisting by many fucked around with this message at 06:21 on Mar 8, 2017

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

Holy poo poo. More stadiums need EXCITEMENT SEATS

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer
When they talked about China having very little pitching depth they weren't kidding. 65 MPH.

dsriggs
May 28, 2012

MONEY FALLS...

...FROM THE SKY...

...WHENEVER HE POSTS!
:australia: here

I admit, our chances do not look good tonight :(

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

dsriggs posted:

:australia: here

I admit, our chances do not look good tonight :(

Japan in Tokyo? Y'all might get murked.

Loved seeing Bruce Chen playing in the Waiter Low cleats today too.

dsriggs
May 28, 2012

MONEY FALLS...

...FROM THE SKY...

...WHENEVER HE POSTS!
1-1, top of the 7th

...it's not happening, is it??

e: nvm :(

dsriggs fucked around with this message at 13:17 on Mar 8, 2017

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

dsriggs posted:

1-1, top of the 7th

...it's not happening, is it??

e: nvm :(

I can't believe the Aussie pitching has kept it this close. They really should have put another couple runs home though considering Japan's defensive lapses.

Bob James
Nov 15, 2005

by Lowtax
Ultra Carp
Netherlands wins on a walk off bases loaded walk. :frogc00l:

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

Inspector_666 posted:

Reminder that Asdrubal Cabrera was left off the Venezuelan team because of Carlos Guillén.

E: Here's a Nick Punto tweet to brighten your day:

https://twitter.com/Shredderpunto/status/836680816377810944

tadashi fucked around with this message at 17:36 on Mar 8, 2017

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair
A Cuban made use of the most Japanese swing I have ever seen last night: http://m.mlb.com/video/topic/21753540/v1232829683

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

Inspector_666 posted:

A Cuban made use of the most Japanese swing I have ever seen last night: http://m.mlb.com/video/topic/21753540/v1232829683

God, I love international baseball so much.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
In case anyone missed it:

https://twitter.com/CespedesBBQ/status/839314903630557186/photo/1

Death Vomit Wizard
May 8, 2006
Bottom Feeder
Yeah, Taiwan is fielding what one Japanese sports writer has called their worst national team ever. I can't believe they made the NL game that close. If they somehow beat Korea, though... holy hell people here in Taiwan would go nuts. When it comes to sports, Korea has a reputation here of doing anything to win (in the dishonorable sense). I really don't know why. Losing to Japan in sports we can handle with dignity, but when it's Korea we always have some excuse about how they kinda cheated. Here's hoping for chaos tomorrow! (We'll lose and Korea and Japan will continue to not notice us as we continue to obsess.) Also gently caress Wei-Yin Chen's elbow injury for keeping him out. He is the closest thing Taiwan has to an ace these days.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal

Death Vomit Wizard posted:

Yeah, Taiwan is fielding what one Japanese sports writer has called their worst national team ever. I can't believe they made the NL game that close. If they somehow beat Korea, though... holy hell people here in Taiwan would go nuts. When it comes to sports, Korea has a reputation here of doing anything to win (in the dishonorable sense). I really don't know why. Losing to Japan in sports we can handle with dignity, but when it's Korea we always have some excuse about how they kinda cheated. Here's hoping for chaos tomorrow! (We'll lose and Korea and Japan will continue to not notice us as we continue to obsess.) Also gently caress Wei-Yin Chen's elbow injury for keeping him out. He is the closest thing Taiwan has to an ace these days.

Looks like Taiwan and Korea are eliminated, so at this point it's symbolic. Hell, go Taiwan.

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

STAFF ACE JASON MARQUIS

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

holy poo poo it's WLAD

• Locked thread