Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

If you work for people who are tight though you end up running Exchange 2007 a decade later on an old HP Gen5 with a SAS shelf attached because, "it works fine why do you need to waste money?". That's not an option on 365.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches
nah i got pride. I wont cheap out over stupid stuff. but between sales and marketing signed up for stupid poo poo as well as o365 keeping all the doodads running sucks.

Super Slash
Feb 20, 2006

You rang ?
I kinda wish more things did flexi/elastic licensing, as in you only get billed for how much or how many people you use. When it comes to things like static licensing where you buy in a certain amount of seats cheapskates usually get all uppity when said seats don't get used, and get really pissy when you buy in extra to compensate for growth, which leads to managers being pissy because their new staff accounts aren't setup because they refused to release funds to buy more seats, and the cycle continues.

Computer Serf
May 14, 2005
Buglord
I've never dealt with Active Directory before, is it a poo poo storm to deploy and migrate everything over a weekend and not poo poo the bed as soon as everyone tries to do anything Monday morning?

The VAR didn't mention CALs but I'm glad it's not Sunday after migrating everything over and finding out nothing works because :bahgawd:

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

You can create a domain and move DNS/DHCP across to AD-joined servers without actually going around and binding all of your clients, things will just carry on as they were before. So you don't need to rush around to get things migrated as such.

I'd definitely take it slowly if you haven't done it before, get it labbed out etc.

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches
yeah have a few pilot candidates picked out so you can test your gpos on small OUs beforehand as well.

incoherent
Apr 24, 2004

Computer Serf posted:

I've never dealt with Active Directory before, is it a poo poo storm to deploy and migrate everything over a weekend and not poo poo the bed as soon as everyone tries to do anything Monday morning?

The VAR didn't mention CALs but I'm glad it's not Sunday after migrating everything over and finding out nothing works because :bahgawd:

CALs are a soft licensing thing for 90% of microsoft licensing (RDP is the exception). Don't let them be a hurdle to doing some 11hr-hour-pull-five-aces-out-your-rear end savior bullshit, but make sure to get them purchased.

Remember: you need one for every device that hits your Windows server DHCP service.

Crowley
Mar 13, 2003

incoherent posted:

Remember: you need one for every device that hits your Windows server DHCP service.

..including printers.

No, I'm not kidding.

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches

incoherent posted:

CALs are a soft licensing thing for 90% of microsoft licensing (RDP is the exception). Don't let them be a hurdle to doing some 11hr-hour-pull-five-aces-out-your-rear end savior bullshit, but make sure to get them purchased.

wait you guys use device cals?

ghaa.

incoherent
Apr 24, 2004

You'll need a mixture of user and device cals, which crowley referenced.

Otherwise vlan your printers, VoIP phones, and access points and use a different DHCP solution.

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches

incoherent posted:

You'll need a mixture of user and device cals, which crowley referenced.

Otherwise vlan your printers, VoIP phones, and access points and use a different DHCP solution.

I have never seen a hybrid model using both user and device cals. I always used them as either/or depending on whichever was more economical given either a higher machine count or higher user count. I just had a microsoft audit like this past december and they didnt have any shortcomings in my licensing at all.. is this a new 2016 thing?

not questioning it or anything, just prefer not to do things wrong even if it slips past MS licensing

TehRedWheelbarrow fucked around with this message at 19:19 on Feb 16, 2017

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches
Just because y'all made me paranoid i called my rep, and he sent me this link

quote:

Yes, if the multifunction printer is connected to a Windows Server network. A multifunction printer accesses server software to; receive an IP address, to receive a job, to communicate that the job is finished, etc. In short, it communicates with the server software. If the multifunction printer is accessing any server software licensed via the Server / CAL licensing model it requires a CAL for that software. The one caveat is, if your users who use the printer have CALs then the printer is covered by their use via their CALs. If not then the printer itself requires a device CAL. The same CAL requirement applies to any other type of networked device – such as networked scanners, networked fax machines, etc. Devices that do not connect to the network or the server software (generally referred to as peripherals) do not require CALs.

https://blogs.technet.microsoft.com/volume-licensing/2014/03/10/licensing-how-to-when-do-i-need-a-client-access-license-cal/

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

Basically make life easy just use user CALs, non employees can use dhcp without a CAL.

Takkaryx
Oct 17, 2007

Bunnies (very useful) Scientific Facts: Bunnies never close doors
The very small (about 15 people) tutoring company I work for has been having issues with our macs randomly dropping off the wireless and needing to be re-connected. No IT person has ever touched this place, AFAIK. We have about 20 mac desktops on the wireless, no hardlines, all in line of sight within 30ft of the single BelAir20e router the owner set up, presumably on the ISPs guidance. Assuming I have access to the router log files, how would I go about diagnosing if it's the router horking on 20 mac desktops plus twice as many mobile devices? Also, is there a cheap/free way I can test if it's just hordes of devices yelling over each other at 2.4GHz? I worked at a university's help desk for 5 years learning new things every day due to a flexible definition of role responsibilities, but this is networking wizardry beyond what I'm used to.

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches

Takkaryx posted:

The very small (about 15 people) tutoring company I work for has been having issues with our macs randomly dropping off the wireless and needing to be re-connected. No IT person has ever touched this place, AFAIK. We have about 20 mac desktops on the wireless, no hardlines, all in line of sight within 30ft of the single BelAir20e router the owner set up, presumably on the ISPs guidance. Assuming I have access to the router log files, how would I go about diagnosing if it's the router horking on 20 mac desktops plus twice as many mobile devices? Also, is there a cheap/free way I can test if it's just hordes of devices yelling over each other at 2.4GHz? I worked at a university's help desk for 5 years learning new things every day due to a flexible definition of role responsibilities, but this is networking wizardry beyond what I'm used to.

:haw: this is not a lot of information friend but I will say I havent relied on 2.4 Ghz for years due to basically everything in the world running on that frequency. Normally for a configuration you are describing it would just be, run copper, done and everyone :neckbeard: s because its all fast and reliable, hardware notwithstanding.

as far as testing things well, yes the logs can help for specific client issues once you scrub it down to errors or ip mismatches. Check your DHCP server for issues and signalwise you would be looking at some type of RF meter however it usually will just show "YUP" you got signal and how powerful the signal is in what band but it doesn't necessarily indicate what device is squawking in that band, you would need a higher end tool for that sort of capability.

freeasinbeer
Mar 26, 2015

by Fluffdaddy
You either need to hard wire or need more APs. Even in a non congested environment that's a lot of clients for one Access Point.

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches
oh random thought, this isn't video conferencing tutoring by any chance is it?

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

You probably want to look into switching over to 5Ghz where possible as well. The 2.4Ghz band is ridiculously crowded while 5Ghz is a bit more roomy for now. Even in my residential area 2.4Ghz is practically unusable.

Dans Macabre
Apr 24, 2004

Takkaryx posted:

I would recommend just getting 2-3 5ghz WAPs and the problem will probably go away.

affordable + reliable option: https://www.ubnt.com/unifi/unifi-ap-ac-lite/

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)

NevergirlsOFFICIAL posted:

I would recommend just getting 2-3 5ghz WAPs and the problem will probably go away.

Dont forget the cloud key!

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Or just use UniFi Elite

Takkaryx
Oct 17, 2007

Bunnies (very useful) Scientific Facts: Bunnies never close doors
Thanks for the advice, everyone.

Bud K ninja sword posted:

oh random thought, this isn't video conferencing tutoring by any chance is it?

It isn't, no. Clients come to our site with a tablet or laptop and their backpack with papers, and we have a terminal. Homework then gets done. The issue hasn't been fixed before as its been mostly a nuisance more than anything, but recently its been getting worse and I've had a few kids lose quiz grades or work because of it now. Which is kinda good, because now I can justify a budget expenditure on replacing the network :v:

I really like the idea of setting up a Ubiquiti solution, and I've heard nothing but good things about it, but I doubt I will be able to requisition a computer that can run the software needed. Is there a router/multiple AP combo that doesn't require a server managing it that's under a few hundred bucks? Otherwise it sounds like my best choice is to see what lives in our ceiling and run cables and switches everywhere.

CloFan
Nov 6, 2004

$80 for a cloud key, aka headless controller for your router and APs that you can access from LAN or WAN

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)
And link it up to Ubiquiti's cloud thing and use the app on your phone/tablet or a browser to check status and do config. It's good as hell.

Heck, I inherited a unifi AP here at work and took it home and run the controller off my unraid server and now I have rock solid wifi at home too.

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches

Takkaryx posted:

Thanks for the advice, everyone.

It isn't, no. Clients come to our site with a tablet or laptop and their backpack with papers, and we have a terminal. Homework then gets done. The issue hasn't been fixed before as its been mostly a nuisance more than anything, but recently its been getting worse and I've had a few kids lose quiz grades or work because of it now. Which is kinda good, because now I can justify a budget expenditure on replacing the network :v:

I really like the idea of setting up a Ubiquiti solution, and I've heard nothing but good things about it, but I doubt I will be able to requisition a computer that can run the software needed. Is there a router/multiple AP combo that doesn't require a server managing it that's under a few hundred bucks? Otherwise it sounds like my best choice is to see what lives in our ceiling and run cables and switches everywhere.

Good i was just making sure you werent slamming your poor AP with 20 vidconferences

ubiquiti stuff is great but honestly if all your clients can see the AP visually cable either just works or its busted as far as troubleshooting goes, and security is handled physically as opposed to just giving an ap that can potentially be sniffed or whatever
if you go with a ceiling install be neat and use plenum rated cable, its more expensive but you are up to code for an air handling space.

Dans Macabre
Apr 24, 2004

Takkaryx posted:

do a cloud key

thebigcow
Jan 3, 2001

Bully!
You should still go with Ubiquiti, or just run cables and be done with it, but if you need another option MikroTik routers can control their access points.

Dans Macabre
Apr 24, 2004

I'm trying to find a good solution for "cloud based" file storage, to completely replace file servers on the premises. Any success stories?

OneDrive for business / sharepoint online - personally have horrible experiences from a user experience standpoint.

Dropbox - Just Works, need a backup solution though since their customer support doesn't exist basically. Mover.io looks cool, does it Just Work too? Also hoping we'll get an admin control in the future that lets me force users to not sync specific folders.

Google Drive - weak if not going full on G Suite

SSLVPN+local file server or synology, which is backed up to S3 or carbonite or something - current solution, don't love it.

I want a rock solid, Just Works solution that I can sell to clients that doesn't involve relying on anything premise based. Oh and it still needs to look like a file system they're used to.

Jack the Lad
Jan 20, 2009

Feed the Pubs

I'm trying to find a good solution for "cloud based" file storage, to completely replace file servers on the premises. Any success stories?

OneDrive for business / sharepoint online - personally have horrible experiences from a user experience standpoint.

Dropbox - Just Works, need a backup solution though since their customer support doesn't exist basically. Mover.io looks cool, does it Just Work too? Also hoping we'll get an admin control in the future that lets me force users to not sync specific folders.

SSLVPN+local file server or synology, which is backed up to S3 or carbonite or something - current solution, don't love it.

I want a rock solid, Just Works solution that I can sell to clients that doesn't involve relying on anything premise based. Oh and it still needs to look like a file system they're used to.

Me too, and for security reasons I'd like to do it without syncing local copies of everything to people's laptops.

Interested to hear what other people are doing for this.

Aunt Beth
Feb 24, 2006

Baby, you're ready!
Grimey Drawer

I've worked for An Enterprise that used Box to great success. They're aggressively courting business users. I'm also currently demoing Citrix Sharefile, which also looks very slick. Sharefile in particular gives you incredible control over where data can and cannot live (on prem, in the cloud, on local machines, etc).

spiny
May 20, 2004

round and round and round
me three, i'm currently:

>SSLVPN+local file server or synology, which is backed up to S3 or carbonite or something - current solution, don't love it.

but some sort of cloud storage that i can present as a drive letter would be a winner for me.

(that isn't one drive or sharepoint)

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Egnyte Connect if you have the budget https://www.egnyte.co.uk/file-access/desktop-access.html

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

Depending on your budget/vertical could look at Nasuni and Panzura as well.

Dans Macabre
Apr 24, 2004

Aunt Beth posted:

I've worked for An Enterprise that used Box to great success. They're aggressively courting business users. I'm also currently demoing Citrix Sharefile, which also looks very slick. Sharefile in particular gives you incredible control over where data can and cannot live (on prem, in the cloud, on local machines, etc).

Did Your Enterprise really use Box as a full file server replacement?

I do need to look at Box and ShareFile, two things I've heard a lot and haven't investigated

Sheep
Jul 24, 2003

Google Cloud Storage + GCS-FUSE? We just use it for differential backups but looks like it would work, also doesn't require adopting G Suite unlike Drive.

Dans Macabre
Apr 24, 2004

Sheep posted:

Google Cloud Storage + GCS-FUSE? We just use it for differential backups but looks like it would work, also doesn't require adopting G Suite unlike Drive.

How would a user in the office access files on GCS? I don't know anything about it. Can I do a caching server? Does it map like an SMB share?

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

I've used Box Enterprise in the past and it works fairly well. Good administrative features and works nicely on mobile devices. The only problems we ever had with it was the occasional syncing error. And the fix from Box support was to just reinstall the client, that said it has gotten more stable in the past year.

Computer Serf
May 14, 2005
Buglord

Takkaryx posted:

If you want some more info you can hold option + click the wifi signal on the menubar to see some stats for RSSI/Noise DB. One reason for the drops might be interference on the channel which might cause the AP to switch to a different channel and during that change the clients might drop packets or have a huge latency gap.

5GHz + more (enterprise) APs like everyone is sayin'

Netspot is a decent app for doing a rudimentary wifi site survey (would need to use a Macbook or moving one of the iMacs around the office for at least 3 sample points). Run it in the middle of the day when neighboring offices and activity is highest.

Computer Serf fucked around with this message at 21:33 on Mar 8, 2017

Sheep
Jul 24, 2003

How would a user in the office access files on GCS? I don't know anything about it. Can I do a caching server? Does it map like an SMB share?

FUSE will expose your GCS bucket to the local machine, from there you can serve it up with SMB or whatever you want.

quote:

1. Follow the instructions for installing Cloud Storage FUSE and its dependencies.
2. Set up credentials for Cloud Storage FUSE.
3. Create a directory.
$ mkdir /path/to/mount
4. Create the bucket you wish to mount, if it doesn't already exist, using the Google Cloud Platform Console.
5. Use Cloud Storage FUSE to mount the bucket (e.g. example-bucket).
$ gcsfuse example-bucket /path/to/mount
6. Start working with the mounted bucket.
$ ls /path/to/mount

Sheep fucked around with this message at 23:47 on Mar 8, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aunt Beth
Feb 24, 2006

Baby, you're ready!
Grimey Drawer

Did Your Enterprise really use Box as a full file server replacement?

I do need to look at Box and ShareFile, two things I've heard a lot and haven't investigated
It was a highly distributed division of the company and there was no file sharing infrastructure to begin with. So it wasn't so much a file server replacement as a rollout. But yes, national company you have definitely, definitely heard of. Box Enterprise worked really well.