Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Thirsty Girl
Dec 5, 2015

MisterBibs posted:

I love the word choices Grandpa Brainchanger uses during the Welcome To Brain Scooping video. The thing that you bring to the table are the physical gifts (as in nothing you actually earned) you have, what we bring to the table is determination (specifically, the drive to earn things). It's a line as racist as it is one of ignorant privilege: if I succeeded it's because of something I did, if you succeeded it was because of luck or something you were born with.

if Grandpa Brainchanger were to describe his story, he worked hard to be an Olympic runner, when some random black dude with abilities he just stumbled into having beat him out.

I like how fantastical the elements are. Like the probability that Grandpa brain changer is simultaneously a former Olympic athlete, revolutionary medical man, and cult leader primes you to accept the fact that when the girlfriend "changes", it's something more akin to an elemental creature than a member of even this nutty clan.

Edit-

She's basically a 'Whiteness' golem in a movie where a racist system is less 'we will kill you' and more accurately 'we will rape you'.

Thirsty Girl fucked around with this message at 10:14 on Mar 6, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
Grandpa is pretty blatantly Brian O'Blivion.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
Maybe dumb question (not really a spoiler, and even if it was you shouldn't go 7 pages deep into a thread for a movie you haven't seen):
Was there any particular significance to the moment when Chris went upstairs and the party just going silent and staring up there? Or is it just another case of "something is very hosed up here"?

Jmcrofts
Jan 7, 2008

just chillin' in the club
Lipstick Apathy

Henchman of Santa posted:

Maybe dumb question (not really a spoiler, and even if it was you shouldn't go 7 pages deep into a thread for a movie you haven't seen):
Was there any particular significance to the moment when Chris went upstairs and the party just going silent and staring up there? Or is it just another case of "something is very hosed up here"?

To me that's the first time in the movie where the idea that maybe all these people are well-meaning but ignorant goes out the window. From then on they are clearly malicious and up to something, which gets even more hosed up with the auction scene shortly after.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!

This thread makes me feel smart because I guessed that Rose was in on it by the time the barbecue rolled around. It didn't need clues--common sense would suggest that she is, since obviously Chris isn't the family's first victim. In fact I thought it was really weird that Chris was expecting her to give him the keys and leave with him considering the shoebox told him everything he needed to know about her.

That was probably a big case of denial. They'd been going out about six months, I think he wanted to believe that maybe there was some tiny part of the person he fell in love with inside of Rose and that she'd have a conscience and help him escape. That's why he's in tears and screaming by the end, he still kind of doesn't want to believe it but he also wants her to break character and own up to it.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer

I also think it emphasizes how much of an outsider he is to them. They look up with curiosity and listen to him like they would an animal that has somehow found its way upstairs.

I want to say it has something to do with the box of photos in the closet, but I don't know how many of the guests would be aware of that. They seem more interested in the finished product, not really the process.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

The most satisfying ending to a film I have seen in a long time.

The entire theater was cheering and yelling every time someone loving bit it . This loving film builds tension so hard and for so long it that the theater spinning into a catharsis that had my heart racing even an hour afterwards. Goddamm 420/10

Potato Salad fucked around with this message at 19:44 on Mar 6, 2017

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

I'm jealous as hell of all these reactions. :(

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

CelticPredator posted:

I'm jealous as hell of all these reactions. :(

Hearing :getout: every 30 seconds was a goddamn pleasure. There hasn't been something this good for audience participation since Snakes on a Plane.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

God SOAP was sad too! :(

I was the only one laughing in that. I think everyone else was just confused.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

There were two elderly women near the front yelling and reacting throughout the whole movie, we saw it at the arclight in Hollywood, it was pretty funny seeing young white people telling the two old women to keep quiet during the movie.

Thirsty Girl
Dec 5, 2015

CelticPredator posted:

God SOAP was sad too! :(

I was the only one laughing in that. I think everyone else was just confused.

I saw SOAP in Vegas by the strip. It was a madhouse.

Ty1990
Apr 22, 2011

My favorite scene might've been when Chris swipes away the tea cup from the mom and at that point you know she's completely hosed and about to get her comeuppance.

My theater lost its poo poo at that moment.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Ty1990 posted:

My favorite scene might've been when Chris swipes away the tea cup from the mom and at that point you know she's completely hosed and about to get her comeuppance.

Catherine Keener was amazing. I absolutely hated her, and loved that payoff.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe
According to Box Office Mojo, this movie only lost 20% in its second week. Very impressive, given that Logan came out this week.

E: vvv I did, upthread. The way that movie ends is pretty much a lower tech Sunken Place.

MisterBibs fucked around with this message at 21:09 on Mar 6, 2017

Jmcrofts
Jan 7, 2008

just chillin' in the club
Lipstick Apathy
Has anyone else pointed out the similarities between this movie and Being John Malkovich, considering Keener is in both? the idea of being trapped inside someone as a passive observer

Zwabu
Aug 7, 2006

I loved this movie overall but there were two particular scenes that really ramped up the tension for me:

1. When the woman partygoer comes up to Chris and basically squeezes his pectoral muscle and/or arm like she was squeezing a loaf of bread or an orange at the market. Checking out the merchandise. This made me involuntarily tense up in my seat.

2. When "Georgina" was trying unsucessfully to break through and communicate with Chris but couldn't, and burst into tears instead. The lengthy extreme closeup. Like someone who'd had a stroke and could no longer speak (aphasia) where the brain damage lays an invisible barrier between them and the person they are trying to communicate with. Brutal.

Mr. Funny Pants
Apr 9, 2001

Ty1990 posted:

I'm not the yell-in-a-theater type at all and I'm embarrassed to admit that I said, "Kill the bitch," loud enough for others to hear me.

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost
what are we all whispering about?

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:
Just saw this today and it's loving awesome. There are so many amazing little moments and every performance is great. The maid/grandma, Georgina was amazingly creepy.

Coolest detail about her is how she constantly starts to run her hand through her hair but stops.

This movie's definitely making money around here, the showing I went to was sold out which is crazy for a late afternoon on a Monday at the theater I go to.

I love how a lot of the characters are speaking in an old timey way, and you think throughout that hey, they were obviously hypnotized just like we saw in the trailer and brainwashed into speaking "properly." But then the last third of the movie happens. I'm glad I didn't know any of that stuff ahead of time, after seeing it the trailer does a great job of making you think you've figured out the movie very early on but it still has some cool twists to it.

Marketing New Brain posted:

certain characters, namely the brother, felt like a white supremacist, while others were closer to suburban liberals, I would have liked to have delved a bit more into that

The brother is like a well-studied textbook perfect rendition of someone who grew up in that family situation. The best part was when he started talking about the extreme strategy and chess-like attributes of Brazilian jiu-jitsu and how it's amazing because it would allow a mind capable of strategy to overcome a much larger opponent I've literally met dozens of hyper racist rich kids that say the exact same poo poo to imply inherent superiority over non-white people when I lived in the suburbs and they all had suburban liberal parents. The lack of introspection regarding their/their parents' views combined with reading about any martial arts stuff makes it easy. Like remember the Rex Kwan Do guy in Napoleon Dynamite? There's a racist white dude running a place like that every ten miles in the suburbs of New Jersey. I even had more than one friend in high school that went from average to full out white supremacist and in both cases their folks probably would say they'd have voted for Obama a third time if that were possible. The brother got very little screen time but really hit close to home for me.

I kind of understand why they didn't delve into it more though, I mean this movie is so successfully tense throughout, but like with Georgina they do a great job with some awkward long closeups of his face as he's going on and it sells that he's nuts pretty easily.

Darko posted:

Also, seeing it with a packed (black) audience was hilarious, as there were a ton of "that's why you don't date white people comments." I had taken a (white) ex to see it with me, and she stated that made her feel uncomfortable a few times. I told her, "welcome to my entire life" (which is a point the movie touched upon a lot).

The part where Chris' girlfriend is shocked that her family is acting so differently and Chris just response to every example she gives with a deadpan mmhmmm our entire theater busted a gut laughing.

Neo Rasa fucked around with this message at 05:05 on Mar 7, 2017

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
I like how a lot of the creepy moments were also funny. Like Georgina just standing behind the door holding cake.

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010

Neo Rasa posted:

I love how a lot of the characters are speaking in an old timey way, and you think throughout that hey, they were obviously hypnotized just like we saw in the trailer and brainwashed into speaking "properly." But then the last third of the movie happens. I'm glad I didn't know any of that stuff ahead of time, after seeing it the trailer does a great job of making you think you've figured out the movie very early on but it still has some cool twists to it.
This is why I was confused by some critics like RLM saying the trailer gave away too much (other than RLM being generally lame and that being a cliche YouTube trailer comment complaint). Like of course I would have had even more fun going into this completely blind but I don't think I would have been as eager to see the film without the effective as gently caress trailer, and rather than giving everything away it just makes you think youve figured out the angle

I could really connect with a lot of the film especially the whitewashing themes and it really made me self examine why I kept giving the "protective white gf" the benefit of the doubt to irrational lengths lockstep with the main character until it became so blatantly obvious we both had to face the music

It's a film I'd love to watch again just because so much stuff I completely missed is just buried there and also reframed by the real "twist"

InequalityGodzilla
May 31, 2012

The vibe I got from the party scene after I finished the movie was that, at the end of the day, the party was 100% about Chris. The "family reunion" spiel was just a weak coverup to disguise the fact that every single person there was just there to see the next auction subject in action (or were attending alongside someone who was). When Chris is out of sight everyone instantly drops the small talk and focuses on him. The auction scene is also an example of this. As soon as his girlfriend drags him away to the lake everyone's like "let's get down to business."

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Punkin Spunkin posted:

This is why I was confused by some critics like RLM saying the trailer gave away too much (other than RLM being generally lame and that being a cliche YouTube trailer comment complaint). Like of course I would have had even more fun going into this completely blind but I don't think I would have been as eager to see the film without the effective as gently caress trailer, and rather than giving everything away it just makes you think youve figured out the angle

yeah this was said in the thread too but the trailer really doesn't give it away. i usually agree with mike but his take on the reveal was very weird - the reveal was amazing and made everything in the movie stronger so i don't know how he thought it was underwhelming or whatever he said. it elevated the movie quite a bit and it's weird he didn't seem to grasp that.

the trailer was what made me super excited for it, how else would you cut a trailer for this movie other than the way they did it?

JT Smiley
Mar 3, 2006
Thats whats up!
I don't know if the trailer posted up thread was the same as the first one I saw way back, but it does give away one major twist.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!
The two big things the trailer gave away were Catherine Keener being involved in what was happening and the fact that hypnosis was involved somehow.

Having seen the trailer, I could immediately tell that the parents were in on it, since the mom was a hypnotherapist and the dad was a neurosurgeon.

JT Smiley
Mar 3, 2006
Thats whats up!
It also basically spoils Rose being in on it

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

King Vidiot posted:

The two big things the trailer gave away were Catherine Keener being involved in what was happening and the fact that hypnosis was involved somehow.

Having seen the trailer, I could immediately tell that the parents were in on it, since the mom was a hypnotherapist and the dad was a neurosurgeon.

It would be weird to make a movie about the horrors of meeting a white family as a black man if the family was not involved in the horror. I don't really think that's a spoiler.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

It would be weird to make a movie about the horrors of meeting a white family as a black man if the family was not involved in the horror. I don't really think that's a spoiler.

Yeah, it's the sell.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

JT Smiley posted:

It also basically spoils Rose being in on it

No, it deliberately only shows her freaking out and helping him.

The trailer is good at getting you to think you're in for the movie Rod keeps warning Chris about. It only spoils the actual story if you know what it is and reflect on the trailer with that knowledge.

Telling you that the white people are up to nefarious things in a horror movie about a black guy meeting white people in the middle of nowhere is hardly spoiling anything. Bradly Whitford and Stephen Root are the only people we meet at the estate who don't immediately, or within minutes, expose themselves as having something wrong to the audience. Catherine Keener was great, but her dislike of Chris was harsh and obvious from the get go.

7 RING SHRIMP
Oct 3, 2012

I luckily managed to walk into it nearly completely blind. I just knew it was highly rated and took on race issues. Seeing the trailer now I don't think much would have been spoiled but I also have a terrible memory and not much would have carried over for me. Was absolutely blown away

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

Gyges posted:

Catherine Keener was great, but her dislike of Chris was harsh and obvious from the get go.

Especially since it's pretty obvious that she dislikes Georgina and just based on *my* appraisal, enjoys having her in a 'supplicant' role despite knowing she's her husband's mother.

Rose is a complete reflection of her mother, who's clearly the one who's calling the shots, while her husband is obviously just the 'talent' as he shrinks the gently caress back when it finally comes to fight or flight time while his son is the one who goes ~BALLS OUT~.

JT Smiley
Mar 3, 2006
Thats whats up!

Gyges posted:

No, it deliberately only shows her freaking out and helping him.

and five seconds after that it shows her aiming a rifle

Thirsty Girl
Dec 5, 2015

JT Smiley posted:

I was glad I skipped the trailer.

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010

JT Smiley posted:

see, this is just one of those random flashes I didn't happen to remember many many many months afterwards when I actually saw the film. looking at the trailer in retrospect, there's all kinds of hints like that and the brain surgery imagery, but I only notice them now in retrospect. Even that flash of Rose, Allison Williams is so transformed once she goes ponytail (visually like some combination of Jennifer Connolly int he late stages of Requiem for a Dream and Alex from A Clockwork Orange) that I either didn't recognize it/realize it/remember it, either way there was so much time between the trailer and the release that all I was really left with was "OH poo poo WATCH OUT FOR WHITE PEOPLE, THIS IS GONNA BE AWESOME."

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:
People are saying this stuff now that they've seen the movie but literally the only thing the trailer "gives away" is that this woman uses hypnosis to make black people her servants which ends up not even being close to the full extent of what's going on.

800peepee51doodoo
Mar 1, 2001

Volute the swarth, trawl betwixt phonotic
Scoff the festune

Neo Rasa posted:

People are saying this stuff now that they've seen the movie but literally the only thing the trailer "gives away" is that this woman uses hypnosis to make black people her servants which ends up not even being close to the full extent of what's going on.

I would even say that the trailer is a pretty effective red herring that leads you to assume the movie is just about hypnosis/brainwashing. You can't get the full extent of the story from the trailer so the "twist" is a pleasant escalation of the concept that feeds from the viewers' expectation that they already think they know what's going on.

One thing that bothered me a little was Rose turning into the terminator after the reveal. Like, I get that she's a sociopath that lures men into this horrorshow but at the same time, her parents and brother were just murdered you'd think she'd have some emotional response to that.

Also, never call the cops, jesus christ what are you doing man.

Thirsty Girl
Dec 5, 2015

800peepee51doodoo posted:

One thing that bothered me a little was Rose turning into the terminator after the reveal. Like, I get that she's a sociopath that lures men into this horrorshow but at the same time, her parents and brother were just murdered you'd think she'd have some emotional response to that.

That was totally intentional.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

I would even say that the trailer is a pretty effective red herring that leads you to assume the movie is just about hypnosis/brainwashing. You can't get the full extent of the story from the trailer so the "twist" is a pleasant escalation of the concept that feeds from the viewers' expectation that they already think they know what's going on.

Sociopaths and psychopaths do not emote empathy and sympathy, even for family. This is a girl that laughs at biting off the tongue of a person she is attracted to.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Guess you missed how she eats fruit loops. Girl doesn't have a soul and emotions mean nothing to her.

• Locked thread