Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
peramene
Oct 13, 2015

by Fluffdaddy
“I realized the moment I fell into the fissure, that the book would not be destroyed as I had planned. It continued falling into that starry expanse, of which I had only a fleeting glimpse. I have tried to speculate where it might have landed—I must admit, however, such conjecture is futile. Still, the question of whose hands might one day hold my Myst Book are unsettling to me. I know my apprehensions might never be allayed, and so I close, realizing that perhaps the ending has not yet been written.”

For the sentimentalists and purists among us: Intro (2014 Ed.)

Welcome to Myst. This was a forums and Discord-based Mafia-like reality board game based on the first installment of the four-game Myst franchise. It’s my hope that you’ll enjoy what I’ve prepared for you.

Post-game Utilities:
Myst: The Book of Sa, Volume I - Abridged
Bif got tired of my dumbass writing up the full thing, so she started making a comic!! It is very good.

Confessionals

Player's Handbook - Last updated 5/3
Confessionals - Chronological - Last updated 5/6
Confessionals - Author - Last updated 5/6

A lot of post-game information including almost all the pre-written content is available via the Myst Library, accessible by clicking the picture above.

Gameday-Relevant Thread Posts
10.1 - No Murders, No Bamboozles.
10.2 - Morning: Someone Stole My Self-Defense Pistol!
10.2 - Afternoon: How Do You Propose We Link Up?
10.2 - Evening: My Hands Are Clean (Apart From The Gunpowder Residue.)
10.3 - Morning: WHO KILLED MY BROTHER?
10.3 - Afternoon: Can We Table All This "Zanzian Is Dead" Chat?
10.3 - Evening: The Battle of Two Arrows.
10.4 - Morning: How Am I The Scum Of The Earth?
10.4 - Afternoon: I Don't Have Secrets. You Have Secrets.
10.4 - Evening: loving A+ Bravo Move.
10.5 - Morning: MURDER EMBARGO IS CANCELLED
10.5 - Afternoon: I Believe In Us.
10.5 - Evening: Everything Is Still On Fire.
10.6 - Morning: A Thing Is Going To Happen That Has the Possibility To Lead To Death.
10.6 - Afternoon: Keep Talking About The Windmill Or Else!
10.6 - Evening: It Was Very Scary, But We Did It!
10.7 - Morning: I Am Not Optimistic About The Reform Chances Of Whoever Did That.
10.7 - Afternoon: Who The gently caress Is The Princess?
10.7 - Evening: What Crazy hosed Up poo poo Are We Going To Walk Into Next?
10.8 - Morning: I Stabbed Him In The Back With My New Skull Adorned Sword
10.8 - Afternoon: Let's All Try To Trust Each Other, Hmmm?
10.8 - Evening: drat, It's Noisy In Here.
10.9 - Morning: I Somehow Reached Through The Spacetime Continuum.
10.9 - Afternoon: I Am 100% Sure We Are Missing Information.
10.9 - Evening: Also, You Owe Me One Life Debt.
10.10 - Morning: Sister, Where Are you?
10.10 - Afternoon: Farewell To The Rose Of Sa.
10.11 - Morning: BOY I SURE HOPE ENOUGH PEOPLE WERE HANGED!
10.11 - Afternoon: Does The Name "Pran" Mean Anything To Anyone?
10.12 - Morning: She Was Still My Sister.
10.12 - Afternoon: I Never Thought We'd Find Something More Disturbing Than Five Goddamn Nuclear Reactors.
10.13 - Morning: As Much As We Are Safe, He Is Safe.
10.13 - Afternoon: I'VE LEARNED ALL THE MYST LORE AND I'VE LEARNED HOW TO MAKE MYSELF AND MY EXPEDITION LESS LONELY
10.13 - Evening: The Lone Survivor Of The First Expedition
10.14 - Morning: I Now Have Two Bone Weapons.
10.14 - Afternoon: Do We Really Have Need For More Prison Ages?
10.14 - Evening: CONCERN
10.15 - Perhaps The Real Puzzles Were The Friends We Made Along The Way

Victory Conditions:
  • Make It Work: Survive.
  • Outwit: Ultimate Betray Someone.
  • Expect the Unexpected: Defeat Gehn.
  • Outplay: Wincon based on your Specialization.
  • Outlast: Outlive a specific Character.
  • All-Stars: Wincon based on the Character's sign.
  • Open, Pass: Wincon based on the Character's Class.
  • Extreme Ways: Wincon based on the Character's Background.
  • You Can't Bible That: Submit a meaningful confessional once per IRL week.
  • Is That Your Final Answer?: "Call" a day 1 alliance with a single individual.

Cast:

peramene fucked around with this message at 04:14 on Mar 9, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

peramene
Oct 13, 2015

by Fluffdaddy
Rules:
These rules apply to all players for the entire game. By signing up to play, you are effectively :toxx:ing yourself to abide by the spirit and letter of these rules.
  • There will be ~20 player characters, with varying capabilities that will shift as game play proceeds. Players with extensive Myst knowledge have no direct advantage over those with none, but it might be worth glancing at a wiki.
  • At the beginning of the game you will only be allowed to speak to/interact with people or objects occupying the same space as you. In some cases, sound carries - you have no control over this. Be cautious with any potentially noisy activity.
  • You cannot discuss any element of this game with anyone else (save myself and my gracious co-mod, obviously) via any means apart from those provided to you in-game: the channels which you have access to on Discord, and this thread.
  • This thread represents a game-wide communication channel. You can say whatever you’d like, even ask for assistance with puzzles or other problems (using your words) - but everybody will hear you.
  • There are no “tribes,” no “heads of household,” no “bachelorettes” -- no formal organization whatsoever: we’re talking Lord of the Flies status here. If you want to stay together, stay together. If you want to split up, split up. Just keep in mind that many victory conditions are mutually-exclusive.
  • Absolutely zero deadposting or spectator posting once the game has begun. Not even for fun - the fact that you are dead will not be known except by you, your murderer, any witnesses, and the mods. At least until your body is found or your absence is noted.
  • Do not make pre-game alliances or discuss this game before we begin. You won’t even know what your victory conditions are until we begin so this would be folly.
  • Do not post chatlogs or screenshots (yes, including of puzzles - use your words), in Discord or in-thread. In the eternal words of Cena, “Please do not be a shitbag.”
  • No matter how much work you did to solve a puzzle, if someone steals the reward from you by beating you to the punch on grabbing the item, the item is in their possession. You’ll have to resolve that yourself.
  • It’s worth reiterating: this is a game of subterfuge, cleverness, secrecy, and betrayal.
  • Each daily cycle will be handled in as orderly a manner as possible. The exact time of the daily cycle will be uniform, but modified to best suit the players’ schedules rather than my own.
  • Failure to submit any actions before the deadline will result in your character not moving or doing anything for that period.
  • Failure to submit actions or at least reach out to a mod for an entire week will result in your character having a heart attack. You may submit nonviolent actions in advance within reason.
  • No editing your posts ever. In-thread or on Discord. The peculiar quirk of peramene - if you’ve made a spelling, formatting, or grammatical error that you’d like to fix, message me and I’ll review your post and possibly allow it. Abuse of this kindness in any way will result in your character having a heart attack.
  • Don’t post or reference any mod communication. You are encouraged to communicate with me with questions, concerns, clarifications - I am free to answer you as I choose to. But you may not use my name to back up any claim within the game.
  • Don’t encrypt your posts, make Toxx clauses with one another, or… play Truth or Dare within the game. I don’t know. Just in case.
  • As Ecco says, “I reserve the right to punish someone as I see fit for whatever thing they do.”

Spectating:

• I will be maintaining a Spectator Doc in the form of a google doc. Rather than allowing you to actually speculate on play, this will consist of summaries written by me describing the actions taken by players within the game-world or detailed in their undoubtedly sparse confessionals.
  • By asking me for access to this doc, you are effectively :toxx:ing yourself to the following rule: You will not in any way use the information to gently caress with the game in any way. I will expect your request via PM on the forums or Discord and again, “I reserve the right to punish someone as I see fit for whatever thing they do.”

Spectator Doc is doing much better but still needs a lot of work.

peramene fucked around with this message at 03:06 on Apr 26, 2017

peramene
Oct 13, 2015

by Fluffdaddy
Heralding from the Age of Sa, the Sa Mapping and Archaeology Foundation (SAMAF), commonly called “The Foundation,” (and due to an ancient tradition involving a gallows,“the town,” though this is considered impolite) is dedicated to the exploration of Ages which have (or develop) any links to Sa.

Each Age is a distinct realm, connected to one another through the use of mysterious linking books. A traveler does not take the book with them when they use it, facilitating a mutual connection when one is wise enough to bring a linking book home and… making getting home impossible if one is not. Each Age appears to have its own quirks, as well as an unpredictable amount of stability. Only the most stable Ages survive long enough to support life, and only one in a thousand has even the most primitive of civilizations. Whenever making first contact, The Foundation does what it can to provide life-sustaining capabilities to such civilizations without interfering in their development. It often goes poorly. It seems almost inevitable that some element of life, nature, or just some sort of scum rises up to make things disastrous. As a result, it is Foundation practice that no active Foundation mission may bring with them a linking book home to Sa until the Age and all its connections are secured, but must instead voluntarily trap themselves until their mission is complete and their Commander returns.

Three weeks ago, Foundation scouts exploring an Age called Pento found something most unusual: an apparently discarded Myst linking book at the top of a tower. Written material on Pento which referenced the Age indicated that such a find would be considered extremely valuable. Initial scouting of Myst revealed it was an enormous island, serving as as hub linking several Ages together.

Upon their return to Sa, the surviving scout reported discovering two linking books, but their links are severed due to missing pages. Having scoured the island, the scout reported that there remain five, potentially six Ages which Myst might have links to - and the two prior books’ pages may be somewhere on the island, or indeed, somewhere within those other Ages. The hypothetical potential is unheard of in your people's entire history. It appears that at the very least, Myst was built on purpose, to house Ages written by a specific person, heritage, tradition… which meant only the very best and brightest explorers would do... and that's you.

peramene fucked around with this message at 18:11 on Apr 10, 2017

Asiina
Apr 26, 2011

No going back
Grimey Drawer
....Bring me.....blue pages!!!!!

(This is a signup)

curiousCat
Sep 23, 2012

Does this look like the face of mercy, kupo?
I used to speedrun Myst. Sure.

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

My dad likes Myst. It was literally before my time though.

George Kansas
Sep 1, 2008

preface all my posts with this
Red Five standing by.

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Where the hell is my SWORD?
Grimey Drawer
You better make this a loving series. I didn't read the OP. Anyone read the myst books?

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

ok but for real what are the nine spaces in the op pic

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
I'm drunk and I didn't read the rules, sign me up!

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=
yall there is an application.

Bifauxnen
Aug 12, 2010

Curses! Foiled again!

this sounds like a really cool game but I've never used discord, is it like we just go there to type at whoever's on our space instead of setting up a bunch of scumdocs?

peramene
Oct 13, 2015

by Fluffdaddy

MMM Whatchya Say posted:

My dad likes Myst. It was literally before my time though.

It is my 29th birthday.

Kashuno posted:

You better make this a loving series. I didn't read the OP. Anyone read the myst books?

That is indeed my plan, if this goes well. I haven't actually read them but I know the story.

Rarity posted:

I'm drunk and I didn't read the rules, sign me up!

wow.

also yes as poke points out below there is indeed an Application and I'm sorry but yes I insist you complete the whole thing

Bifauxnen posted:

this sounds like a really cool game but I've never used discord, is it like we just go there to type at whoever's on our space instead of setting up a bunch of scumdocs?

Without giving too much away, yes. Lots of work on my end, none on yours.

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=
it's pronounced pock.

peramene
Oct 13, 2015

by Fluffdaddy

MMM Whatchya Say posted:

ok but for real what are the nine spaces in the op pic

If folks really can't tell, I'll have my wife/artist refine it a little bit.

Poque posted:

it's pronounced pock.

I apologize. I made a promise to someone very important to me. I have now fulfilled that promise and my onus is abated.

Murmur Twin
Feb 11, 2003

An ever-honest pacifist with no mind for tricks.
Applied! I'm trying a new thing where I'm not going to talk to anyone and I'm just going to ride my puzzle-solving skills to the win.

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

Poque posted:

yall there is an application.

yeah and it says to post in the thread too you dimmer

Poque posted:

it's pronounced pock.

can confirm

peramene
Oct 13, 2015

by Fluffdaddy

Murmur Twin posted:

Applied! I'm trying a new thing where I'm not going to talk to anyone and I'm just going to ride my puzzle-solving skills to the win.

I would like to take the time to say explicitly that this is probably not a game-winning strategy.

Max
Nov 30, 2002

Making a post saying I will play.

chaoslord
Jan 28, 2009

Nature Abhors A Vacuum

Poque posted:

it's pronounced pock.

:aaaaa:

Max
Nov 30, 2002

pera, I just want you to know that I draw my dagger, but it is not out of mercy.

Max fucked around with this message at 00:34 on Mar 9, 2017

peramene
Oct 13, 2015

by Fluffdaddy
You may edit the above post to lowercase my p and correct 'our' to 'out'.

Bifauxnen
Aug 12, 2010

Curses! Foiled again!

Ok, sent off my application! I think there might have been some error in the last question but I treated it as if that was on purpose.

Max
Nov 30, 2002

peramene posted:

You may edit the above post to lowercase my p and correct 'our' to 'out'.

Thanks!

Asiina
Apr 26, 2011

No going back
Grimey Drawer

Poque posted:

it's pronounced pock.

Okay Poke.

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

I think it's pronounced "sporcle"

Asiina
Apr 26, 2011

No going back
Grimey Drawer

peramene posted:

If folks really can't tell, I'll have my wife/artist refine it a little bit.

I can tell, but labels giving them names will help eventually.

Asiina
Apr 26, 2011

No going back
Grimey Drawer

MMM Whatchya Say posted:

This is actually the correct answer.

peramene
Oct 13, 2015

by Fluffdaddy

Asiina posted:

I can tell, but labels giving them names will help eventually.

This isn't a bad idea.

Note: I have received numerous error reports regarding the Application. The Application and all of its questions are as they should be. Thank you. The OP has been edited to contain this message.

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

My main point of confusion is if the non coloured skid with a path leading to it north of the green zone is it's own area or not.

Max
Nov 30, 2002

I bet the room in the ship that has that gnarly skull will have a knife in it. Gonna go there first.

peramene
Oct 13, 2015

by Fluffdaddy

MMM Whatchya Say posted:

My main point of confusion is if the non coloured skid with a path leading to it north of the green zone is it's own area or not.

Yes! It is more obvious in faux-3D. This is a good critique tho, thank you.

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=

MMM Whatchya Say posted:

Don't forget there is a badge for International Women's Day quizzes to earn today!

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Grimey Drawer
That application owns. Also play obduction if you like myst

Podima
Nov 4, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Will any puzzles be sound based? Unsure if I can play yet based on expected April workload, but that hallmark of the original Myst series made it impossible for me to play. :( (The rocket ship puzzle, or the sea creature sounds in Riven, are two examples.)

peramene
Oct 13, 2015

by Fluffdaddy

Podima posted:

Will any puzzles be sound based? Unsure if I can play yet based on expected April workload, but that hallmark of the original Myst series made it impossible for me to play. :( (The rocket ship puzzle, or the sea creature sounds in Riven, are two examples.)

I am a fully hearing person and I have never successfully completed the rocket ship without a guide. It's ridiculous.

I'll PM you in Discord.

Kashuno posted:

That application owns. Also play obduction if you like myst

Thank you! I intend to as soon as my budget and body allow me to but please please please not another word about it. These games must be appreciated with as little preknowledge as possible imo.

Juchero
Feb 15, 2008

Wedge Regret
very very interested!

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Grimey Drawer

peramene posted:

I am a fully hearing person and I have never successfully completed the rocket ship without a guide. It's ridiculous.

I'll PM you in Discord.

Thank you! I intend to as soon as my budget and body allow me to but please please please not another word about it. These games must be appreciated with as little preknowledge as possible imo.

What's your steam name

Dr. Hurt
Oct 23, 2010

I'm not going to play but I sure as hell am gonna turn a lot of levers and hope to hell that something happens.

twists knob to the right

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

peramene
Oct 13, 2015

by Fluffdaddy

Dr. Hurt posted:

I'm not going to play but I sure as hell am gonna turn a lot of levers and hope to hell that something happens.

twists knob to the right

Which of the knobs?

• Locked thread