Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Liquid Dinosaur
Dec 16, 2011

by Smythe

Yinlock posted:

has eren actually won a single fight yet

i checked out of the manga when eren did that armor thing and rather than show him be useful in any way the manga immediately skipped past it

He would have kicked Reiner's rear end if Bert didn't drop on him from the top of the wall that one time, and while it wasn't in a fight he used the armor power to plug up the wall. That's really important.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cuntman.net
Mar 1, 2013

Does cutting Berthold out of the colossal titan count

Nelson Mandingo
Mar 27, 2005

JosephWongKS posted:

New chapter is out - http://kissmanga.com/Manga/Shingeki-no-Kyojin/Chapter-091?id=349045

Am utterly confused by the events in this chapter.

A 3-4 year timeskip happens at the start of this chapter.

Reiner is the paratrooper.

Instead of going after Paradis island, Marley is finishing up it's war with the Middle East Union, and this is the tail end of the fighting.

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

Nelson Mandingo posted:

A 3-4 year timeskip happens at the start of this chapter.

Instead of going after Paradis island, Marley is finishing up it's war with the Middle East Union, and this is the tail end of the fighting.

Isn't it the opposite? The war started because they lost several of their Titans?

Kassad
Nov 12, 2005

It's about time.
There's this comment on Kissmanga clearing things up:

quote:

To clarify :

1. This is a 3 year time-skip after the Survey Corps visit the ocean. 4 years after the Battle of Shiganshina.

2. Marley is in war with the Middle-Eastern Union, which was triggered 4 years ago, after they lost the Colossal and the Female Titan.

3. The final two titan shifters are the "Jaw Titan", Galliard, and the "Cart/Mule Titan", Peak. So now we've seen all the 9 shifters.

4. The Marley is looking for successors for the powers of the Armored Titan and Beast Titan. So this chapter describes 4/5 such Warrior candidates being sent to the front-lines of the war as a final test.

5. Also I think the conversation between Magath and Colt should be something like this. (there's a mistranslation here) :

"

Colt : But both our titans are very fast. They won't get hit easily.

Nelson Mandingo
Mar 27, 2005

genericnick posted:

Isn't it the opposite? The war started because they lost several of their Titans?

Anyone parroting a Marley account of events is an unreliable narrator until proven otherwise. Especially any of the warriors who are force-fed propaganda.

I'm more inclined to believe they are clearing the board of threats, as the attack on Paradis is going to potentially leave them in a state of extreme vulnerability. Losing their navy has long term repercussions globally but it's not something you need a huge force of when dealing with Paradis. This is assuming from the viewpoint that all the sacrifices they're making are calculated with the operational goal of getting the founding titan in their control.

Nelson Mandingo fucked around with this message at 13:09 on Mar 8, 2017

free basket of chips
Sep 7, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Imagine you get picked to inherit an original titan power and you end up getting mule titan

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

The narration was hamfisted, with the excuse of the guy with head's trauma to have here an explanation of the situation, it felt awkward.

I like how bold is the series in not limiting itself by the initial setup of the story, where it was just some guys sieged by zombie-like giant monsters. We have a much bigger, complex and rich setting now and even technology is advancing, making the big enemy, the Titans, slightly obsolete.

In fact it's ironic how the entire reason of the main story (the infiltration of the shifting titans, as that was the starting point) was really because in the setting they are predicting they won't be as powerful in the future, with things like cannons and tanks, so they want to invade for oil.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
Yeah Captain Exposition was pretty dumb.

Gaj
Apr 30, 2006
Im sorry but over the last 6 months the background drop has got me confused with regards to the factions:

Marley: the hosed up police state across the Sea, source of Annie, Berthold, Reiner, Beast Titan

Walled City: where all the main characters are, a refuge for those fleeing Marley.

Paradis Island:???

Saagonsa
Dec 29, 2012

Gaj posted:

The island that the walled city is on

Terror Sweat
Mar 15, 2009

Gaj posted:

Im sorry but over the last 6 months the background drop has got me confused with regards to the factions:

Marley: the hosed up police state across the Sea, source of Annie, Berthold, Reiner, Beast Titan

Walled City: where all the main characters are, a refuge for those fleeing Marley.

its the island that has the walled city

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

Gaj posted:

Paradis Island is the island where the walled city is

One thing I dont understand: how exactly is Marley using the titan powers? I understand they got some eldian kids they use, but didnt that started when they decided to attack Paradis? How did they use the titan powers before that?

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

Elias_Maluco posted:

Paradis Island is the island where the walled city is

One thing I dont understand: how exactly is Marley using the titan powers? I understand they got some eldian kids they use, but didnt that started when they decided to attack Paradis? How did they use the titan powers before that?

I don't understand what you mean. Marley has a huge population of Eldians to use for Titans.

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

So I guess Annie's been a rock for 4 years then. Sucks to be her

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

RatHat posted:

I don't understand what you mean. Marley has a huge population of Eldians to use for Titans.

I know, but when they recruited Zeke and the others, wanst that the first time Marley recruited eldians to use titans? I got that impression, at least. But it is said they were using the titan powers of the 7 titans they control since before that, they used it to win the war

And if that's the case, what were they doing with the titan powers before? How did they used it or kept it?

Kassad
Nov 12, 2005

It's about time.
I think they were using the titan shifters before, but not against the Eldians living inside the walls on the island. The shifters were used in wars against Marley's neighbors.

Shneak
Mar 6, 2015

A sad Professor Plum
sitting on a toilet.
This manga and these wild narrative left turns recently. :psyduck:

Buzzsaw Roomba
Feb 14, 2012

Christ, what an asshole.
Mangastream translation is out

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
Looks like Ymir's titan is the weakest of the 9 by far. Though to be fair it's very specialized and probably not really meant for direct combat.

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

Kassad posted:

I think they were using the titan shifters before, but not against the Eldians living inside the walls on the island. The shifters were used in wars against Marley's neighbors.

This is my take on it. It's relatively easy to motivate Eldians to fight for Marley despite being mistreated by them by promising them stuff, like better treatment of Eldians and poo poo. It's harder when you send Eldians off without any supervision to fight other Eldians.

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

RatHat posted:

Yeah Captain Exposition was pretty dumb.

Crazy girl launching a grenade attack in her underwear and running away laughing hysterically seems like an interesting character.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

I wonder how realistic it is for an oppressed people to be convinced that they're intrinsically evil and deserve to be oppressed. Stuff like internalized racism exists, but I'm not sure if it exists to the extent where most of a population would think "my people are evil and we need to subdue our home country in order to earn the right to not be oppressed."

edit: Like, it's easy for me to understand why people might fight for their oppressors for the practical reasons of wanting to survive and have more privileges, but I'm not sure if they'd actually buy into the propaganda.

RatHat posted:

Looks like Ymir's titan is the weakest of the 9 by far. Though to be fair it's very specialized and probably not really meant for direct combat.

I dunno, the Mule titan doesn't seem particularly suited to combat. Her titan is actually probably one of the better ones for titan vs. titan combat since she can quickly out-maneuver some of the other titan types and attack their necks. Being capable of quickly climbing (which I don't think any other titans can do) is probably useful in a variety of situations.

It seems like with the current level of technology that exists in the AoT world, the 9 Titans shouldn't really be a game-changer any more (with the exception of the coordinate, assuming it can be used to control the mindless titans), so I'm not sure why losing the female and colossal titans was considered such a huge loss. They're still useful tools, but I don't see how they'd make a difference in a full-scale war with (presumably) millions of people involved. Killing any titan short of the colossal titan would be trivial with artillery (as we see in this chapter, where they needed to kill that one train before being able to release the Jaw titan), and even the colossal would probably fall to concentrated artillery fire it's such a slow, big target that it would be easy to knock out its legs and then pound its neck area into dust).

Ytlaya fucked around with this message at 02:48 on Mar 9, 2017

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
this chapter heavily reminds me of the siege of port arthur in the russo japanese war, having to capture a hill in order to get the high ground over a port filled with ships

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Ytlaya posted:

I dunno, the Mule titan doesn't seem particularly suited to combat. Her titan is actually probably one of the better ones for titan vs. titan combat since she can quickly out-maneuver some of the other titan types and attack their necks. Being capable of quickly climbing (which I don't think any other titans can do) is probably useful in a variety of situations.

It seems like with the current level of technology that exists in the AoT world, the 9 Titans shouldn't really be a game-changer any more (with the exception of the coordinate, assuming it can be used to control the mindless titans), so I'm not sure why losing the female and colossal titans was considered such a huge loss. They're still useful tools, but I don't see how they'd make a difference in a full-scale war with (presumably) millions of people involved. Killing any titan short of the colossal titan would be trivial with artillery (as we see in this chapter, where they needed to kill that one train before being able to release the Jaw titan), and even the colossal would probably fall to concentrated artillery fire it's such a slow, big target that it would be easy to knock out its legs and then pound its neck area into dust).

Marley agrees with you. The reason they are attacking the Walls is because they want to get the oil and other natural resources it is sitting as fuel for their arms race technology. The reason being that Titans are becoming outdated as weapons.

Even still something like the colossal titan attacking an enemy army would do a ton of damage to the enemies morale and cause some a lot of fleeing. Stuff like the anti titan canons are implied to be fairly new as well.

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

So what were the lifespans of Titan Shifters again? Cause Eren should be pretty close do dying shouldn't he? Same with Monkey Titan and Armored Titan. Armin should be in the middle of his new lifespan.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
13 years, if I recall.

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

...your cybernetic implants, the only beauty in that meat you call "a body"...
Grimey Drawer
I hope Mikasa grew a spine and got busy in the last 3 years off-screen because Eren only has like 5 years left now.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

HenryEx posted:

I hope Mikasa grew a spine and got busy in the last 3 years off-screen because Eren only has like 5 years left now.

I don't know if I see a Mikasa/Eren romance going anywhere, since Eren hasn't really shown an ounce of romantic interest towards Mikasa (or anyone else for that matter). Even if a shounen lead is considered dense, he'll usually at least show some level of attraction towards the main love interest.

When we first see Eren and company after this time skip, Eren will have had a child with Sasha and Mikasa will be all withdrawn and emaciated.

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

...your cybernetic implants, the only beauty in that meat you call "a body"...
Grimey Drawer

Ytlaya posted:

I don't know if I see a Mikasa/Eren romance going anywhere, since Eren hasn't really shown an ounce of romantic interest towards Mikasa (or anyone else for that matter). Even if a shounen lead is considered dense, he'll usually at least show some level of attraction towards the main love interest.

When we first see Eren and company after this time skip, Eren will have had a child with Sasha and Mikasa will be all withdrawn and emaciated.

I'm with you on the first point, Eren is probably the most asexual shounen lead i've ever seen. But i'm thinking that it's just a combination of rage and Very Important Problems basically taking up his entire view, and if Mikasa ever got her head out of her rear end and kicked down the pedestal she put him on, she could probably muscle her way into his life with a little bit of effort.

Second one is never going to happen though, Sasha's first and last love is food

Neo_Crimson
Aug 15, 2011

"Is that your final dandy?"
Eren purely sees Mikasa as a sister, because she pretty much is.

Xy Hapu
Mar 7, 2004

I feel like pretty much every shounen protagonist acts oblivious to the lovesick sidekick, yet inexplicably ends up married to them in the epilogue. I think it's some kind of 'cool guys don't look at explosions' thing. So there's hope for Mikasa yet!

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

The chapter's theme is a bit confusing.

You the first part where they show the armored train with 100mm guns and how they can't use Titans willy-nilly because they can be killed now... and two pages later you have this:

So, what is it??

Kassad
Nov 12, 2005

It's about time.
They relied on Titans so much and for so long that they can't catch up to the new weapons the other powers have, maybe?

Buzzsaw Roomba
Feb 14, 2012

Christ, what an asshole.
Did everyone miss where they said it was nearly impossible for the faster titans to be hit in the nape of the neck with the anti-titan cannon? Out of an abundance of caution they decided not to take that risk, but it's hardly the case that the titans are now obsolete. They're still a tremendous asset. See the end of the chapter.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Turin Turambar posted:

You the first part where they show the armored train with 100mm guns and how they can't use Titans willy-nilly because they can be killed now... and two pages later you have this:

So, what is it??

Yeah, this is the part that confused me. I guess titans are still very powerful in certain situations. Like, if you release a titan into the middle of a city (as opposed to sending it at the enemy battle lines in a wide open area, like in this chapter) it would be very difficult to hit it with cannons. The titan would be effectively invincible (since these countries don't seem to have anti-titan 3d gear) once it got "into the thick" of the enemy and could basically wreak havoc indefinitely, and the perpetrator could easily escape by turning back into a person.

But they don't seem very useful for normal military operations, just stuff like "sneaking a person into the enemy camp/city and then having them turn into a titan and loving everything up."

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

The world has mostly ww1 tech and Titans are vastly superior to ww1 tanks. And those did wreak havoc.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Turin Turambar posted:

So, what is it??

The Korean trasnlation has the guy say "The power of the Titans must be absolute." "That's how it must be."

In other words, I believe he's saying that they must give the impression that the Titans are undefeatable, especially since they are so much more vulnerable now, hence the reason why he's so unwilling to use them and let it be known that Titans aren't actually invincible.

It'e a morale thing, sorta.

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

Ytlaya posted:

Killing any titan short of the colossal titan would be trivial with artillery (as we see in this chapter, where they needed to kill that one train before being able to release the Jaw titan), and even the colossal would probably fall to concentrated artillery fire it's such a slow, big target that it would be easy to knock out its legs and then pound its neck area into dust).
I think it was more that the Jaw titan could probably easily win due to agility, but the potential small risk of losing him wasn't worth committing him. They only wanted to commit him when it was basically a 100% chance of success.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

Obsolete doesn't mean useless or anything. As a nation industrializes, the scale of its military capability inflates. Titan shifters have an absolute cap on how much work they can do because there's such a small number of them and no way of increasing that number. If there's a tank that takes a titan to defeat, then the other side just needs to produce enough of those tanks, etc.