Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

macnbc
Dec 13, 2006

brb, time travelin'
So I have an older system (still running a 2500K processor on a P67 motherboard) and I'm looking to get a new SATA SSD just to park newer games on. (So it doesn't have to be a top-of-the-line model.)

When I started searching around I saw a lot of doomsaying about high prices and NAND shortages. So my questions would be:
1. Is this a bad time to get a new drive? This isn't exactly urgent for me so I can wait a few months if that's a good idea.
and
2. What are some good drives for the price? Ideally I'd like to spend under $120 for 500GB or under $200 for a 1TB but I don't know how feasible that is at the moment.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ataxerxes
Dec 2, 2011

What is a soldier but a miserable pile of eaten cats and strange language?
So I'm looking at buying this thing as I currently have a 1TB HDD and no SSD at all:
https://www.verkkokauppa.com/fi/product/53098/ffhfv/Samsung-850-EVO-SSD-500-Gt-2-5-SATA3-SSD-kovalevy

I have a machine that is about 6 years (GeForce 750Ti, i7-3770k, 8GB ram or thereabouts) old and while it runs games smoothly I want to cut down on loading times on both Windows and games. Should I be able to plop it in and use it with the wires etc that come with the SSD?

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Ataxerxes posted:

So I'm looking at buying this thing as I currently have a 1TB HDD and no SSD at all:
https://www.verkkokauppa.com/fi/product/53098/ffhfv/Samsung-850-EVO-SSD-500-Gt-2-5-SATA3-SSD-kovalevy

I have a machine that is about 6 years (GeForce 750Ti, i7-3770k, 8GB ram or thereabouts) old and while it runs games smoothly I want to cut down on loading times on both Windows and games. Should I be able to plop it in and use it with the wires etc that come with the SSD?

Yes it should work fine with your existing hardware. Keep in mind that unless you are using less than 300 GB on your current harddrive, doing a simple image transfer to just move everything may not be a good idea. You want obviously that the data fits on the SSD, but also preferably leave a good chunk free space. Otherwise you should probably reinstall your OS.

Make sure to read up on what SATA ports are available on your mainboard and connect the SSD to one on a good controller. (If in doubt, ask here!)

Actuarial Fables
Jul 29, 2014

Taco Defender
If you want to use it alongside your HDD you'll need to have a second SATA cable as the SSD doesn't come with one.

Ataxerxes
Dec 2, 2011

nielsm posted:

Yes it should work fine with your existing hardware. Keep in mind that unless you are using less than 300 GB on your current harddrive, doing a simple image transfer to just move everything may not be a good idea. You want obviously that the data fits on the SSD, but also preferably leave a good chunk free space. Otherwise you should probably reinstall your OS.

Make sure to read up on what SATA ports are available on your mainboard and connect the SSD to one on a good controller. (If in doubt, ask here!)

Thanks for the info. I was planning to only transfer my OS partition, as I fairly recently upgraded from 7 to 10 as a clean install after my old OS became badly unstable. I haven't installed the really hd-hogging games I would play yet. If I have only about 20-50GB of Windows in one partition should it transfer over smoothly?

Jewce
Mar 11, 2008
Just putting a build together from scratch and need to choose my storage. Build is for gaming and uses an MSI z270 m5 Mobo.

I was planning on an 850 Evo, but the price is close to $180 right now and I can get the m.2 version for $167.

The SanDisk x400 is $160, but I'm thinking the m.2 850 is clearly the right choice here or am I missing something?

NVMe is tempting, but I want to keep my price down so unless there is a good one in this price range, I'm just going to hold off until later this year.

metallicaeg
Nov 28, 2005

Evil Red Wings Owner Wario Lemieux Steals Stanley Cup

Jewce posted:

Just putting a build together from scratch and need to choose my storage. Build is for gaming and uses an MSI z270 m5 Mobo.

I was planning on an 850 Evo, but the price is close to $180 right now and I can get the m.2 version for $167.

The SanDisk x400 is $160, but I'm thinking the m.2 850 is clearly the right choice here or am I missing something?

NVMe is tempting, but I want to keep my price down so unless there is a good one in this price range, I'm just going to hold off until later this year.

For the $7 difference I'd do the 850. If those are 500GB prices, you can do a myDigitalSSD BPX NVMe unit for $200, which isn't nearly as fast as the 960, but is still quicker than Intel's 600p, and remains well ahead of any SATA-based drive.

Jewce
Mar 11, 2008

metallicaeg posted:

For the $7 difference I'd do the 850. If those are 500GB prices, you can do a myDigitalSSD BPX NVMe unit for $200, which isn't nearly as fast as the 960, but is still quicker than Intel's 600p, and remains well ahead of any SATA-based drive.

Okay, cool. I just wanted to be sure the 850 was the right choice and that I wasn't missing anything going to the m.2 style.

I'll check out that NVMe, but I'll have to see if the difference is really drastic enough to warrant an extra $30 and if one that cheap has good quality control. I've never heard of that brand.

metallicaeg
Nov 28, 2005

Jewce posted:

Okay, cool. I just wanted to be sure the 850 was the right choice and that I wasn't missing anything going to the m.2 style.

I'll check out that NVMe, but I'll have to see if the difference is really drastic enough to warrant an extra $30 and if one that cheap has good quality control. I've never heard of that brand.

For what it's worth, if I felt comfortable enough dumping $400 for 1TB of storage, I'd already have a pair of them.

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

Trip report of a 960 Evo 256GB:
Vs my previous 840 Evo ( D: )

Windows boots a couple of seconds faster, some games load almost comically fast now (Doom has several splash loading scenes, and on the 960, they are so brief the background music cuts off). Of course, file copy / move etc operations on the disk are just silly.

I'm happy with it, as this purchase was just as a toy really.

I replaced my spinner files disk (work project files) with the old 840, so the whole thing is SSD only now, and that's what I'm really noticing most of all.

I read a lot about people saying windows feels "snappier" and I can't tell any difference at all, not one iota. I could easily go back to a SATA drive without it affecting anything worthwhile. But having the whole box spinner free is really nice.

TB+ cheap, slow SSD's for infrequently used files can't come soon enough.

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO fucked around with this message at 03:14 on Mar 9, 2017

mmkay
Oct 21, 2010

Can I just grab an M.2 PCI-E SSD like a 600p or a 960 EVO, stick it in a adapter and plug it into my MB (ASUS Z87-C) and have it work without any other issues (chipset or whatever) as a data drive? I won't be needing to boot from it, but I have no idea how this poo poo works re PCI-E lanes.

Ataxerxes
Dec 2, 2011

nielsm posted:

How do I determine a good controller?

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

Ataxerxes posted:

How do I determine a good controller?

Good controller = Intel. If your mobo has extra SATA controllers like Marvell do not use those.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.

mmkay posted:

Can I just grab an M.2 PCI-E SSD like a 600p or a 960 EVO, stick it in a adapter and plug it into my MB (ASUS Z87-C) and have it work without any other issues (chipset or whatever) as a data drive? I won't be needing to boot from it, but I have no idea how this poo poo works re PCI-E lanes.

Should be fine, I recommend the Asus Hyper M.2 adapter, just because I have used a lot of then without issue. Just make sure the jumper is set to pcie instead of "hyper", I think that is their m.2 to u.2 cable adapter kit and they turn off the power to the m.2 device.

https://www.asus.com/ca-en/Motherboard-Accessory/HYPER_M2_X4_MINI_CARD/

Ataxerxes
Dec 2, 2011

Thanks for the help an info everyone, I got my 850 Evo installed yesterday and also installed Macrium Reflect. My Windows install takes about 20GB, can I transfer it to a partition on the SSD with Macrium? Also, I read that you should leave some space on an SSD unused. Partition management in Windows says there are about 470GB space in the SSD, so does it do that automatically?

lordfrikk
Mar 11, 2010

Oh, say it ain't fuckin' so,
you stupid fuck!
Finally finished my build, went from a 1TB WD Black bought in 2009 (I assume on the brink of dying) straight to NVME. Even though it's only 512GB I never want another mechanical drive in my computer again. I haven't realized before but I'd rather have absolutely quiet 512GB than multiple TBs of train station-loud vibrator in my case, jeez.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Ataxerxes posted:

Thanks for the help an info everyone, I got my 850 Evo installed yesterday and also installed Macrium Reflect. My Windows install takes about 20GB, can I transfer it to a partition on the SSD with Macrium? Also, I read that you should leave some space on an SSD unused. Partition management in Windows says there are about 470GB space in the SSD, so does it do that automatically?

Out of the box, the EVO has necessarily overhead built in that partition manager can't see. Don't stress it.

Ataxerxes
Dec 2, 2011

Potato Salad posted:

Out of the box, the EVO has necessarily overhead built in that partition manager can't see. Don't stress it.

Thanks, that's good to know. How about transferring the Windows installation? Should I / can I attempt it or should I just do a clean install to the SSD?

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Up to you. Clean refreshed systems are nice for reasons unrelated to ssds, but that does incur a lot of extra work

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

If you do a fresh install, just remember ninite.com is your friend.

mmkay
Oct 21, 2010

Ataxerxes posted:

You see 470 GB rather than 500 because drive makers use SI meaning of Gigabyte (10^9) while Microsoft is calculating the size in Gibibytes (2^30) but denoting it with the wrong unit (GiB vs GB).

mmkay fucked around with this message at 09:30 on Mar 11, 2017

Ataxerxes
Dec 2, 2011

Thanks. One last thing I am wondering is how should I go about transferring my OS. I have succesfully made an image with Macrium and have made a partition on the SSD where I have made a recovery from the image. How do you get rid of the old C: partition on HDD so that Windows will only boot from the SSD? I cannot format it in Windows, nor delete the partition.

Ataxerxes
Dec 2, 2011

Did a clean install instead and now everything works. This sure is faster than my old HDD. Thanks for the help, everyone!

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!

lordfrikk posted:

Finally finished my build, went from a 1TB WD Black bought in 2009 (I assume on the brink of dying) straight to NVME. Even though it's only 512GB I never want another mechanical drive in my computer again. I haven't realized before but I'd rather have absolutely quiet 512GB than multiple TBs of train station-loud vibrator in my case, jeez.
The difference noise is the only thing that matters to you? Geez.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

Combat Pretzel posted:

Having owned a WD Black drive where the constant seeks reminded me of a coffee percolator running endlessly...I can see where he's going with this. I ended up replacing it with a WD "Re" datacenter-grade drive, and it's a lot quieter.

Wooper
Oct 16, 2006

Champion draGoon horse slayer. Making Lancers weep for their horsies since 2011. Viva Dickbutt.
Let me tell you about samsung F1 drives that are named that because they sound like F1 cars.

metallicaeg
Nov 28, 2005

At idle, with a PSU that turns off its fan, and magnetic levitation case and CPU fans with a low low RPM, the only noise/vibration I get is from the pair of spinners I have, one of which is a WD Black. I'm waiting until there's a 1TB NVMe M.2 drive for <$350 to get rid of them.

Wooper
Oct 16, 2006

Champion draGoon horse slayer. Making Lancers weep for their horsies since 2011. Viva Dickbutt.
The WD Red drives are very quiet for mechanical drives and can be had in big sizes. I think the trick is to not use high rpm drives, which should have been abandoned as soon as you started using SSDs for system drives.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

WD Red drives are binned, slowed-down leftovers.

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

Wooper posted:

Let me tell you about samsung F1 drives that are named that because they sound like F1 cars.

The spinpoint f1? Mine were really quiet except for the weird WHOOP they made on startup. Dog slow though.

Wooper
Oct 16, 2006

Potato Salad posted:

good on them

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO posted:

The spinpoint f1? Mine were really quiet except for the weird WHOOP they made on startup. Dog slow though.

All of mine are hella loud.
I might be picky though.

Wooper fucked around with this message at 08:11 on Mar 13, 2017

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

Maybe it depends when they were made too. I'm glad mine are gone.

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO fucked around with this message at 10:08 on Mar 13, 2017

Powerlurker
Oct 21, 2010

Potato Salad posted:

I thought WD Reds were just WD Greens with TLER enabled.

lordfrikk
Mar 11, 2010

you stupid fuck!

Combat Pretzel posted:

Hardly, as someone who until very recently had been still using an ancient mechanical hard drive, the increase in OS responsiveness, shorter loading times and even the occasional faster copying of big files is super nice to have. Mind, I'm an average user so for me anything the size of several GBs is a large file which took loving forever on the WD Black. The divine silence of SSDs wasn't even a selling point for me before but it now it's one of its biggest pros. The Fractal Nano S is sound dampened and the thing was still LOUD. It certainly doesn't help that Windows absolutely loves to start spinnin' yer drives to the max when you're close to idle. Now I don't care because the regular maintenance that it likes to do barely registers on the NVMe drive.

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

Bunch of hardware sites are posting Optane info
https://arstechnica.com/information-technology/2017/03/intels-first-optane-ssd-375gb-that-you-can-also-use-as-ram/
http://www.tomshardware.com/news/intel-3d-xpoint-optane-dc-p4800x,33938.html
http://www.anandtech.com/show/11208/intel-introduces-optane-ssd-dc-p4800x-with-3d-xpoint-memory

WhyteRyce fucked around with this message at 18:19 on Mar 19, 2017

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Somewhat faster than top of the line SSD, not nearly as fast as RAM, what problem are we solving here?

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Bob Morales posted:

Somewhat faster than top of the line SSD, not nearly as fast as RAM, what problem are we solving here?

Unifying the storage, basically. For database applications, scientific computing, etc., non-volatile memory with direct access over the CPU data bus is more or less the holy grail.
I assume speeds will improve plenty.

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

It's got interesting use cases in enterprise environments sure, but it won't help me load my FO4 load times so I don't see the point

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

Bob Morales posted:

quote:

3D XPoint has about one thousandth the latency of NAND flash (or about ten times the latency of DRAM), and tens times the density of DRAM.

A nice improvement vs NAND to be sure.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lordfrikk
Mar 11, 2010

you stupid fuck!

WhyteRyce posted:

It's got interesting use cases in enterprise environments sure, but it won't help me load my FO4 load times so I don't see the point

I assume this is a CPU bottleneck now?