Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Anomalous Amalgam
Feb 13, 2015

by Nyc_Tattoo
Doctor Rope

CCKeane posted:

Alright so.

Ecco was the first person to raise the problematic implications of the word lynch in mafia games, and generally uses execution or hanging.

I find claims of a execution bomb here pretty suspicious, because the change of terminology here is pretty different from what Ecco usually uses. This strikes me as very unusual, and I am very suspicious of it as a result.

My vote on AA will remain, I'm confident in my vote.

Ecco used neither lunch, lynch, or any other variation.

I am simply bomb since this is pertinent.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CCKeane
Jan 28, 2008

my shit posts don't die, they multiply

Anomalous Amalgam posted:

Ecco used neither lunch, lynch, or any other variation.

I am simply bomb since this is pertinent.

Thank you for finally answering the question I asked quite a bit ago.

Anomalous Amalgam
Feb 13, 2015

by Nyc_Tattoo
Doctor Rope
However, I function as a lynch bomb. Hence me claiming and offering to be used as a tool for the town.

Anomalous Amalgam
Feb 13, 2015

by Nyc_Tattoo
Doctor Rope

CCKeane posted:

Thank you for finally answering the question I asked quite a bit ago.

You're welcome. Happy to oblige :)

Dick Bastardly
Aug 22, 2012

Muttley is SKYNET!!!
I'm not saying I 100% believe AA, but claiming lynchbomb D1 is not anti-town TOBBS.

CCKeane
Jan 28, 2008

I'm keeping my vote but bomb is significantly less suspicious a role name than previously mentioned.

Tobbs Gnawed
Apr 4, 2007

All round mafia nice guy

Dick Bastardly posted:

I'm not saying I 100% believe AA, but claiming lynchbomb D1 is not anti-town TOBBS.

Explain it like I'm drunk.

Dick Bastardly
Aug 22, 2012

Muttley is SKYNET!!!

Tobbs Gnawed posted:

Explain it like I'm drunk.

I mean, it's clearly beneficial to warn your town brethren against hammering, but at the same time scum could use that as a life line. It comes with the assumption that AA would even be a candidate for a "lunch" to begin with, which is kind of self conscious and possibly a indicator of a scum insurance policy. I DONT loving KNOW, ZIGGy ZAGGGY ZIGGY ZAGGY OY OY OY!!! take to slam a screwdriver

Anomalous Amalgam
Feb 13, 2015

by Nyc_Tattoo
Doctor Rope

Dick Bastardly posted:

I mean, it's clearly beneficial to warn your town brethren against hammering, but at the same time scum could use that as a life line. It comes with the assumption that AA would even be a candidate for a "lunch" to begin with, which is kind of self conscious and possibly a indicator of a scum insurance policy. I DONT loving KNOW, ZIGGy ZAGGGY ZIGGY ZAGGY OY OY OY!!! take to slam a screwdriver

However I volunteer my life for the cause. That's no life line, and it's a curious claim to make and stick to seriously for anything other than telling the truth.

Grandicap
Feb 8, 2006

I agree with Keane here. AA's followups to the claim were lovely and cagey and scummy.

Max
Nov 30, 2002

Grandicap posted:

I agree with Keane here. AA's followups to the claim were lovely and cagey and scummy.

How do you feel about my odd reaction to an apparent non-event?

Max
Nov 30, 2002

However I volunteer my life for the cause. That's no life line, and it's a curious claim to make and stick to seriously for anything other than telling the truth.

:Mafia Dad Post: Having played a bomb before, claiming bomb was the wrong move if you really are one.

Grandicap
Feb 8, 2006

Max posted:

How do you feel about my odd reaction to an apparent non-event?

Like I should have voted you?

Grandicap
Feb 8, 2006

Grandicap posted:

Odd reaction to a non event. Do not like.

##unvote

##vote Max

Like this.

Anomalous Amalgam
Feb 13, 2015

by Nyc_Tattoo
Doctor Rope

Max posted:

:Mafia Dad Post: Having played a bomb before, claiming bomb was the wrong move if you really are one.

Why?

Dick Bastardly
Aug 22, 2012

Muttley is SKYNET!!!

Speaking of volunteering my life for the cause, my offer to hammer to test this claim still stands.

CCKeane
Jan 28, 2008

Murmur Twin posted:

I find it suspicious that Keane can't fill in the blanks that Ecco used "lynchbomb" and AA chose to change "lynch" to "lunch" (as many players around here do) and is instead trying to spin it as some sort of "gotcha!". Like even if AA was scum lying about lynchbomb, is the implication that it would be too hard for him to make up some sort of flavor for it?

I'm rereading but you were wrong here and a further reading of AA shows him explicitly saying Lynch before.

He switched to lunch halfway through and claimed that his phone autocorrected, (which seems possible) and then later corrected again to plain "bomb" as his role name.

How do you feel about AAs role going through three name changes before he settles on one?

I also posted this:

CCKeane posted:

Also wait, ecco used Lunching in the role name?

And it stood uncorrected, with AA mentioning a more elaborate role name until I made explicit case on it.

CCKeane
Jan 28, 2008

Also there is plenty of content in this game now so everybody can surely lay down some takes if the hottest order.

CCKeane
Jan 28, 2008

Murmur Twin posted:

##unvote
##vote CCKeane

Right now, I think Keane trying to effort-case AA looks scummier than AA's posting. If I were scum and I knew AA was town, I think that AA would be the easiest person to case to try and drive a mislynch and it feels to me that's what Keane is doing.

This strikes me as TRYING TOO HARD TO LOOK TOWNIE and I don't buy it.

This seems a pretty weird take from MMT since it largely revolves around the concept of town making an effort, and I'm wondering what MMT would imagine casing and posting to look like in the early game if it didn't involve pursuing threads that look odd and generating cases from there.

got some chores tonight
Feb 18, 2012

honk honk whats for lunch...
i think aa is/was being intentionally obtuse but i dont think that makes him a scum

i would know

CCKeane
Jan 28, 2008

chaoslord posted:

I'm not sure! But Keane said a thing I'm curious about. If he comes back with a joke I guess that'll answer your question.

I'd like to see CLs follow up here.

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

Hello, yes! Is being very good day for posting, no?
I mean, that's certainly a possibility, but I agree with Keane that there isn't a good reason for AA not to be answering at this point. If you've already claimed your role why go to such lengths to conceal its flavor? This is an Ecco game, and if there's one thing I associate with Ecco games it's having lots of well-written flavor text. It's not like it's hard to say "I'm a MAFIAROLE, I do this through FLAVORTEXT".

Murmur Twin
Feb 11, 2003

An ever-honest pacifist with no mind for tricks.

The Lord of Hats posted:

I mean, that's certainly a possibility, but I agree with Keane that there isn't a good reason for AA not to be answering at this point. If you've already claimed your role why go to such lengths to conceal its flavor? This is an Ecco game, and if there's one thing I associate with Ecco games it's having lots of well-written flavor text. It's not like it's hard to say "I'm a MAFIAROLE, I do this through FLAVORTEXT".

Murmur Twin posted:

What's the flavor reason for a human being in a mine with a bunch of lizards?

Murmur Twin
Feb 11, 2003

CCKeane posted:

This seems a pretty weird take from MMT since it largely revolves around the concept of town making an effort, and I'm wondering what MMT would imagine casing and posting to look like in the early game if it didn't involve pursuing threads that look odd and generating cases from there.

I'm not making a blanket "all players who make an effort are scummy", I'm specifically saying that your case on AA feels like you're pushing too hard on low-hanging fruit and it seems like scum making a fake case to me.

I do this on D1 in a lot of my games - I ask myself "if I were scum, what fake case would I be pushing right now?" and, in my opinion, the argument that you're making on AA fits the bill. It feels to me like you're jumping on minor things and trying to blow them up as obvious scumtells when, at least at first glance, I don't think they are.

That said, I haven't re-read AA since engaging you on this (and am :guinness: at the moment) so I'll re-look to see if the gun is as smoking as you seem to think it is.

CCKeane
Jan 28, 2008

Murmur Twin posted:

I'm not making a blanket "all players who make an effort are scummy", I'm specifically saying that your case on AA feels like you're pushing too hard on low-hanging fruit and it seems like scum making a fake case to me.

I do this on D1 in a lot of my games - I ask myself "if I were scum, what fake case would I be pushing right now?" and, in my opinion, the argument that you're making on AA fits the bill. It feels to me like you're jumping on minor things and trying to blow them up as obvious scumtells when, at least at first glance, I don't think they are.

That said, I haven't re-read AA since engaging you on this (and am :guinness: at the moment) so I'll re-look to see if the gun is as smoking as you seem to think it is.

If not, of course I am sure you will happily provide someone else that was suitably scummy before the business went down, since you feel the pursuing of a weak case is scummy.

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

I, like, half typed a post that said "I don't think a case that involved scum fake-catching a slip because someone used imprecise terminology is super plausible, because people don't like playing dumb" but then I remembered that Keane is p. good at weaponising playing dumb

but I don't think that's going on here - AA was being sufficiently cagey that some pressing seems natural.

Anomalous Amalgam
Feb 13, 2015

by Nyc_Tattoo
Doctor Rope

CCKeane posted:

If not, of course I am sure you will happily provide someone else that was suitably scummy before the business went down, since you feel the pursuing of a weak case is scummy.

Whom do you consider scummy? (Myself excluded of course)

CCKeane
Jan 28, 2008

To be clear here:

MMTs complaint is that I was/am pursuing AA and following up on inconsistencies, and AA would be "an easy scum vote"

Since I have thoughts but not confirmation on AA's alignment, and, presumably, neither would a town MMT, somebody, pursuing AA is sensible unless there existed a more glaring case at the time.

If MMT cannot provide a case that would have been more worthwhile to pursue, I was right in pursuing AA and MMT is talking out her butt, like whenever she talks about New England having quality sports teams or food.

CCKeane
Jan 28, 2008

Whom do you consider scummy? (Myself excluded of course)

I'd like to follow up on MMT and see where she is at. Some of her posts seem strongly worded when there are inconsistencies in what I would expect somebody following the case would say.

Most notably, her defense of "obviously he is just replacing Lynch with lunch". This stands out since you yourself used Lynch earlier, and a look at your post history would pan this out.

I also want to see what chaos Lord has to say when he comes back, but he doesn't have many posts in there.

Complete gut call that I'm unlikely to go after, Lord of Hats.

Anomalous Amalgam
Feb 13, 2015

by Nyc_Tattoo
Doctor Rope
In defense of my life for an actual better use of it, consider the following:

- Would I, as scum, draw this much attention to myself unnecessarily day one? Remove me from the equation, would it be a good play by anyone?
- What would I have to gain by lying about this claim? Imagine it as town, scum and 3P?
- Offering my ability up voluntarily to not only clear myself in act of martyrdom, but also destroy a target the town collective deemed as scummy, should stand as town motive for my play and justifications.

CCKeane
Jan 28, 2008

I'll look for the game, but I recall MMT explicitly stating that she liked to get games rolling by making tenuous cases and seeing how people reacted, and going from there.

My play, especially early, is pretty obviously the same play that MMT championed in an earlier game. MMT raised her objections against my play pretty early, so this stands out in particular; if MMT was casing about my harder push on AA, I wouldn't have regarded that as suspicious, but early on, and in an early attempt to generate content, it stands out.

CCKeane
Jan 28, 2008

In defense of my life for an actual better use of it, consider the following:

- Would I, as scum, draw this much attention to myself unnecessarily day one? Remove me from the equation, would it be a good play by anyone?
- What would I have to gain by lying about this claim? Imagine it as town, scum and 3P?
- Offering my ability up voluntarily to not only clear myself in act of martyrdom, but also destroy a target the town collective deemed as scummy, should stand as town motive for my play and justifications.

There's absolutely a benefit to claiming bomb as scum or 3P, yes.

You'd be claiming a role that is dangerous for town to test, so you'd reduce the chances of an execution, which works for scum and 3P, and as 3P you'd be less likely for the scum to target, since your ability does nothing to improve town's scum hunting abilities, unlike other roles that may exist.

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

Like, bomb makes it more likely that scum is going to not NK you, both because they know they can look elsewhere for power roles and because you always present the possibility of two townies dying in one day if suspicion does ever fall on you and they play the day right. Claiming bomb is worse than not claiming bomb until you have to, because if you happen to be NKed before claiming, then you've helped town dodge a bullet.

Murmur Twin
Feb 11, 2003

CCKeane posted:

I'll look for the game, but I recall MMT explicitly stating that she liked to get games rolling by making tenuous cases and seeing how people reacted, and going from there.

My play, especially early, is pretty obviously the same play that MMT championed in an earlier game. MMT raised her objections against my play pretty early, so this stands out in particular; if MMT was casing about my harder push on AA, I wouldn't have regarded that as suspicious, but early on, and in an early attempt to generate content, it stands out.

I suppose that's fair - I'm not saying "I'm 100% sure Keane is scum, lock it up", I'm saying that my first impression of the content so far on d1 (without going back and re-reading AA yet, which I stress I still haven't) was that your posting feels more suspicious to me than AA. It's entirely possible I'm wrong which is why I'm not going crazy trying to get other people to vote for you.

CCKeane posted:

For the sake of full disclosure, I'm probably not going to give the game a full effort read until tomorrow around 3-4pm PST (as tonight I'm watching Survivor and then going to bed > tomorrow I have school followed by my audition for a dealing job).

CCKeane posted:

To be clear here:

MMTs complaint is that I was/am pursuing AA and following up on inconsistencies, and AA would be "an easy scum vote"

Since I have thoughts but not confirmation on AA's alignment, and, presumably, neither would a town MMT, somebody, pursuing AA is sensible unless there existed a more glaring case at the time.

If MMT cannot provide a case that would have been more worthwhile to pursue, I was right in pursuing AA and MMT is talking out her butt, like whenever she talks about New England having quality sports teams or food.

Here are plenty of other examples of me trying to look for "which case sounds more like scum trying to push the easiest target?".

Something something New England Patriots, New Haven pizza.

Anomalous Amalgam
Feb 13, 2015

by Nyc_Tattoo
Doctor Rope

Pinterest Mom posted:

Like, bomb makes it more likely that scum is going to not NK you, both because they know they can look elsewhere for power roles and because you always present the possibility of two townies dying in one day if suspicion does ever fall on you and they play the day right. Claiming bomb is worse than not claiming bomb until you have to, because if you happen to be NKed before claiming, then you've helped town dodge a bullet.

Then the only reasonable thing to do given the circumstances is to at least try to discuss it and use it. If not today then certainly by tomorrow. Better to take the gamble early on, then later.

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

Hello, yes! Is being very good day for posting, no?

Forgot I missed that one. If you look in the OP, there's both human and lizard miners. (The specific line is "a mixture of human and lizard stock", iirc).

Max
Nov 30, 2002

Bomb is best used as a surprise unless you are absolutely certain that the person who will maybe hammer you is town. You never really know otherwise and you may take out scum with you. You getting NK'd is a total waste of your power though, unless it goes off no matter how you die.

Max
Nov 30, 2002

I don't have much of a problem with what Keane is doing since I had a similar inclination, and is why I dropped a vote on him. I thought nothing much was going on at the time and would get things going. AA being cagey about their role flavor is kind of weird to me after being so loud about their role.

EccoRaven
Aug 15, 2004

there is only one hell:
the one we live in now
:c: Current Day 1 Votecount :c:

Amalgam (3): Rarity, -Rarity, Keane, BK, Max

Max (2): chores, Grandi

Quidnose (1): BK, Rarity, -BK
CCKeane (1): AA, -AA, Max, -Max, MMT
DickBastardly (1): AA
chaoslord (1): Tobbs

Pinterest Mom (0): Max, -Max
chaoslod (0): MMT, -MMT
chores (0): Max, -Max
BottleKnight (0): Grandi, AA, -AA, AA, -AA, -Grandi, AA, -AA
Rarity (0): Grandi, -Grandi
Grandicap (0): AA, -AA
Fisk (0): Quid, MMT, -Quid, Max, -Max, -MMT

:h: With 15 alive it takes 8 to execute.
:d: Day 1 deadline: Thursday, March 9th, ~11PM EST. That's in fewer than 12 hours from this post

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

George Kansas
Sep 1, 2008

preface all my posts with this

Tobbs Gnawed posted:

Lynchbomb is a super great claim for scum.

What's the town motivation for claiming it D1?

There isn't one.

Also there's no interesting flavor associated with it.

That aside, Keane could be scum.

Miller is also a great claim for scum, which is why the town strat is to claim immediately. Claiming lynchbomb early is a good call if you are town imo.

I think AA is scum for his posting, not his claim.

• Locked thread