Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ramagamma
Feb 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
How could anyone not love Louis Theroux, he has made some of the most enthralling documentaries of the past 20 years.

I'm not a binge watcher kind of guy but when my girlfriend got netflix i must have watched 20 hours of Theroux in a weekend.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Theroux' style only appeals to stupid people.

NonzeroCircle
Apr 12, 2010

El Camino
Louis Theroux is the best English person with a French as gently caress name

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

He's pretty cool for not coming across as overly judgemental of any of the subjects he's documenting. Even with the hard core racists. It was hilarious seeing him walking around in a giant bullet proof vest in Philly though.

Grandmother of Five
May 9, 2008

I'm tired of hearing about money, money, money, money, money. I just want to play the game, drink Pepsi, wear Reebok.
From what I've seen of his shows, despite interviewing racists, survivalists, religious fanatics, UFO conspiracy people, and a bunch of other fringe groups, somehow the one show with the most insane people, where the host easily appeared to be the most shaken and fearful in the face of the unhinged mental stability of the people around him, was then he visited some wrestling fans.

Bad Llama
Jan 2, 2007
pwnerer
Simpsons memes are bad.

idgi

(is this an unpopular opinion?)

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

only people who enjoy my posting can replace this avatar

Bad Llama posted:

Simpsons memes are bad.

idgi

(is this an unpopular opinion?)

I don't like them just because I don't get what they were referencing (the simpsons was one of those shows my parents "banned" us from watching growing up). Considering half the posts in the meme thread are simpsons related I'd imagine it is an unpopular opinion, but correct imho.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
I hope I'm having a happy birthday.

GIANT OUIJA BOARD
Aug 22, 2011

177 Years of Your Dick
All
Night
Non
Stop
Spielberg is a hack

Blue Star
Feb 18, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Fashionable Jorts posted:

Blue Star is a trans hating piece of poo poo and every opinion they have is worthless.

I dont hate anyone.

I'm sorry if my opinion about Jurassic World vs Jurassic Park has ticked people off. You can like whatever movie you like

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Blue Star posted:

You can like whatever movie you like

Reported. You monster.

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.

GIANT OUIJA BOARD posted:

Spielberg is a hack

He can't direct anything more subtle than a punch in the face. That said, he directs punches in the face quite well.

Blue Star
Feb 18, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
My assessment of Spielberg:

1.) Jaws, Raiders of the Lost Ark, and Jurassic Park are amazing.
2.) E.T. always felt kind of overrated but that could just be because it wasnt a part of my childhood. It came out before i was born and i never saw it all the way through as a kid, only bits and pieces on TV sometime in the 90s. I watched it on Netflix not too long ago and it was good and i can see how it was revolutionary, so maybe I just missed the boat on it.
3.) Close Encounters of the Third Kind is a very good alien contact movie.
4.) Hook was a fun movie when I was a kid but i would never defend it now. Its colorful and has good sets and costumes. Yes some of them look fake but I actually like that some of it looks fake, since hes in Neverland and its like a dream or something. But its not a good movie and hasnt aged well.
5.) I watched The Color Purple on TV once and liked it, but havent watched it since.
6.) I've never seen Saving Private Ryan, Munich, or his recent movies.
7.) I havent watched War of the Worlds in a while but as I recall it was pretty good alien invasion disaster movie. Better than [b]Independence Day[b].

patonthebach
Aug 22, 2016

by R. Guyovich

Low Desert Punk posted:

Most of the shows in this "golden age of TV" aren't that good, they just have higher production values and have surpassed the pitifully low standards of television thus far.

This might be the worst post in the thread so far, and that includes subjective food chat. Sopranos and the Wire, etc. absolutely blow older stuff like Cheers and Threes Company out of the water. Only stuff close in previous years is maybe TNG,X-Files and MASH, but the amount of hits to miss episodes is 50% at best for those.

life is a joke
Mar 7, 2016

patonthebach posted:

Only stuff close in previous years is maybe TNG,X-Files and MASH, but the amount of hits to miss episodes is 50% at best for those.

Twin Peaks too!

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

TNG is great if you skip past the first 70 episodes.

Elfgames
Sep 11, 2011

Fun Shoe
jurassic world is the best american godzilla movie.

patonthebach
Aug 22, 2016

by R. Guyovich

life is a joke posted:

Twin Peaks too!

I dont know if I can include mini-series.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

patonthebach posted:

I dont know if I can include mini-series.

Mini-series? It's 30 episodes.

hard counter
Jan 2, 2015

patonthebach posted:

Sopranos and the Wire, etc. absolutely blow older stuff like Cheers and Threes Company out of the water.

not that i necessarily agree or disagree either way but i think there are better ways to compare eras of tv, if you wanna pick out three's company and cheers you might as well compare them against similarly-styled programs like 2 broke girls or modern family instead of like, intense crime dramas

like what if i told you roots (1977) blows big bang theory the absolute gently caress out of the water, i'd be right but maybe a more honest comparison would use a 70s comedy like three's company or fawlty towers

Mu Zeta posted:

TNG is great if you skip past the first 70 episodes.

are there many sci-f shows that have a much better hit rate than 50%? it seems to me like letting a writer's imagination loose to do speculative fiction usually gives you extremes like the measure of a man and angel one since you're heading into uncharted territory

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Sci fi shows will be better now because they aren't forced to make 26 episodes at a time.

bean_shadow
Sep 27, 2005

If men had uteruses they'd be called duderuses.

Blue Star posted:

4.) Hook was a fun movie when I was a kid but i would never defend it now. Its colorful and has good sets and costumes. Yes some of them look fake but I actually like that some of it looks fake, since hes in Neverland and its like a dream or something. But its not a good movie and hasnt aged well.

Dustin Hoffman and Bob Hoskins are amazing in it. Robin Williams, not so much.

Mrs. Doubtfire, on the other hand, is terrible and hasn't aged well either.

I have also found Murphy Brown is a terrible show that hasn't aged well.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

only people who enjoy my posting can replace this avatar

hard counter posted:

are there many sci-f shows that have a much better hit rate than 50%? it seems to me like letting a writer's imagination loose to do speculative fiction usually gives you extremes like the measure of a man and angel one since you're heading into uncharted territory

I think Stargate SG-1 was one of the more consistent scifi shows. Yeah there's that one mongols episode everyone hates and the clipshow episodes are bad but I still find it more consistently enjoyable than star trek or whatever.

It's pointless to argue though because for everyone who loves stargate there's someone who is probably going to immediately furiously hit "quote" on this post and tell me why stargate is absolute trash and his favorite show is so much better.

I disagree that shorter seasons necessarily will necessarily translate to better quality though. The show runners just need to know when to end things instead of continuing to milk the show for cash. Even if it means just one season of ~20 episodes, that's fine if that's the story you wanted to tell. Hardly anyone ever does this though because they know people will keep watching it even if it's trash (see: the walking dead).

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

bean_shadow posted:

Mrs. Doubtfire, on the other hand, is terrible and hasn't aged well either.
Mrs Doubtfire was always a terrible movie, based on a terrible book.

hard counter posted:

are there many sci-f shows that have a much better hit rate than 50%?
It's a matter of opinion (I'd say TNG is good more than half the time) and depends what you define as sci-fi, but just off the top of my head there's Stargate (SG1 and Atlantis, not Universe), Farscape, Lexx, Life on Mars and The Expanse. :shrug;

Ramagamma
Feb 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Everyone i know that has a strong interest in sci fi also have weak grasps on reality.

Tony Bologna
Sep 21, 2007

Talk real good 'cause I'm smart and stuff
Sci-fi is all authoritarian garbage.

"Fahrenheit 451" and "1984" are on par with Mary Sue fan-fiction and would be mocked if published modern day.

"Sour Soul" should have won album of the year in 2015, and at least beat out "To Pimp a Butterfly" for best rap album of the year.

"Bill Withers Liive at Carnegie Hall" is the best live album of all time. gently caress Frampton, Springsteen, and Cash. The live version of "Grandma's Hands" will always make me cry.

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

Tony Bologna posted:

have you ever read anything without a yellow-and-black color scheme on the cover

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Tony Bologna posted:

"Bill Withers Liive at Carnegie Hall" is the best live album of all time. gently caress Frampton, Springsteen, and Cash. The live version of "Grandma's Hands" will always make me cry.

It's not even the best live soul album of all time.

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

Tony Bologna posted:

Surely what you meant to say is "authoritarian Sci-fi is garbage," which isn't really an unpopular opinion.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Briefcase Full of Blues actually managed to be one of the best live albums of the 1970s.

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.
Bradbury has an unusually warm and inviting style as opposed to most sci-fi writers. It's much more poetic than clinical, which is probably why he's one of the few I don't consider a slog to read. But I'd also say I'm more of a fan of his style than his content.

I haven't thought it out too clearly, but I might have the unpopular opinion that style is more important than substance in fiction. I can only remember the heavy-hitting lines from George Orwell's most famous stuff, but can recount entire sections of Shirley Jackson's work from how beautifully and vividly she wrote. I've remembered a story about a man's ugly orange plates for 12 years now because of how it was written.

Tony Bologna
Sep 21, 2007

Talk real good 'cause I'm smart and stuff

Wheat Loaf posted:

It's not even the best live soul album of all time.

Please educate me then.

Das Boo posted:

Bradbury has an unusually warm and inviting style as opposed to most sci-fi writers. It's much more poetic than clinical, which is probably why he's one of the few I don't consider a slog to read. But I'd also say I'm more of a fan of his style than his content.

I haven't thought it out too clearly, but I might have the unpopular opinion that style is more important than substance in fiction. I can only remember the heavy-hitting lines from George Orwell's most famous stuff, but can recount entire sections of Shirley Jackson's work from how beautifully and vividly she wrote. I've remembered a story about a man's ugly orange plates for 12 years now because of how it was written.

I don't disagree, I just think it fumbles when you view it from a 21st century viewpoint.

starkebn
May 18, 2004

"Oooh, got a little too serious. You okay there, little buddy?"

Tony Bologna posted:

I don't disagree, I just think it fumbles when you view it from a 21st century viewpoint.

All scifi should be read with the period of when it was written in the back of your mind. It's also one of the things that makes it enjoyable to read for some people.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Tony Bologna posted:

Please educate me then.

Well, it's all a matter of opinion, obviously. In my view, the best live soul album is Sam Cooke's One Night Stand! Live at the Harlem Square Club.

You Are A Werewolf
Apr 26, 2010

Black Gold!

Tony Bologna posted:

Please educate me then.

Sam Cooke - Live at the Harlem Square Club, 1963

Otis Redding - Live in Europe

Donny Hathaway - Live

All good albums (including yours). Not above or beyond what you've stated, but Donny Hathaway's version of Jealous Guy is amazing:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JxUSQC-KAHM

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
That Sam Cooke album is amazing. They didn't release it in 1963 when it was recorded because RCA thought it was too raw-sounding and it would hurt his pop star image, which I think is a shame because if white teenagers in 1963 liked anything, I'm pretty sure it wasn't dudes singing "A Taste of Honey" with a string orchestra.

It's really interesting to compare it with the album he recorded at the Copacabana because it underlines how he could be a different artist for different audiences. He was the soul singer who inspired Otis Redding and Rod Stewart for black audiences and an urbane pop star - the Sinatra of rhythm and blues - for white adult audiences.

Likewise, it's a real shame the only live record of Jackie Wilson we have is his Copa album where he's trying to do a kind of Dean Martin / Sammy Davis, Jr. "all round entertainer" thing. It's. It bad but it's not what it could have been.

You could talk about a lot of the live gospel albums that came out in the late 1950s and 1960s as well. Those gospel guys rocked harder than most of the rock stars who were about alongside them did. Certainly the Dixie Hummingbirds and the Vlara Ward Singers and Rev. Julius Cheeks rocked harder than Chuck Berry or Elvis Presley. The only big-name rock and roll stars who could give them trouble on that front were Little Richard, Jerry Lee Lewis and possibly Larry Williams.

:spergin: :spergin: :spergin: :spergin:

Anyway, as far as rock albums and rock albums only go, the best live album of the 1970s was Live: Full House by the J. Geils Band.

Wheat Loaf has a new favorite as of 11:57 on Mar 9, 2017

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Recording artists don't really do live albums any more. I'm not sure why.

JnnyThndrs
May 29, 2001

HERE ARE THE FUCKING TOWELS
Probably because the studio wizardry involved in most(all?) pop music today makes live albums difficult - either the singer's singing along to a pre recorded backing track, or with live musicians it won't sound anything like the studio version.

My unpopular opinion is that 99% of live albums were simply filler to satiate record companies that demanded 'product' every year and sound terrible, at least in the pop and rock world.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Wheat Loaf posted:

Recording artists don't really do live albums any more. I'm not sure why.

Heavy metal (and affiliated) bands release live albums literally all the time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

JnnyThndrs posted:

My unpopular opinion is that 99% of live albums were simply filler to satiate record companies that demanded 'product' every year and sound terrible, at least in the pop and rock world.

Maybe so. I think the other 1% make it all worthwhile. My favourite live album is It's Too Late To Stop Now: Van Morrison actually went out of his way to leave out songs with mistakes (he left off "Moondance" because he heard one wrong note on playback) because he didn't want to do any overdubs for it.

To be honest, though, I can't think of any really awful professionally-released live albums off the top of my head. I've heard some really rubbish bootlegs but to my mind, a "bad" live album is one where the artist might as well be in a studio with crowd noise dubbed in.

Jerry Cotton posted:

Heavy metal (and affiliated) bands release live albums literally all the time.

Fair enough. I'm not really into metal bands.