Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Known Lecher posted:

On topic, a while back someone posted about the 70s-era Canon 8-T calculator that could do math in hours/minutes/seconds in addition to regular base-10 math. I picked up one online and when I pulled it out of the case it had a "NORTHWEST ORIENT PILOT" sticker on the back. I thought that was kind of cool.

More weird old calculators:

When the first electronic calculators were being developed, not everyone got the memo about the standardisation of seven‐segment displays.

The Ise Electronics Corporation in particular had this interesting arrangment:

Which results in numerals like this:

Zeros were half height, which improves readability when the machine does not suppress leading zeroes:

Here’s a video of an Itron‐equipped calculator in action:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xF6a5_koxog&t=493s

The cascade as it displays intermediate results is tres magnifique. :discourse:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

Platystemon posted:

When the first electronic calculators were being developed, not everyone got the memo about the standardisation of seven‐segment displays.

Zeros were half height, which improves readability when the machine does not suppress leading zeroes:

Neat.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Casu Marzu posted:

The dry air in airplane cabins dull your sense of sweet and salty so tomato juice tastes super rich and fruity and delicious when it otherwise is terrible. I don't touch tomato juice or V8 normally, but a tomato juice while flying is completely different.

Dry air and change in pressure.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Yes the effect is similar to what happens to astronauts in space, messes with your sinuses.

1000 Brown M and Ms
Oct 22, 2008

F:\DL>quickfli 4-clowns.fli
Re: train chat

Even in Japan where the bullet train (and trains in general) is really popular, if you're going a distance that would be more than three hours or so by bullet train, many people will fly instead. It's cheaper and faster because the extra time you spend in airports doesn't make up for the increase in travel time.

Eg, Tokyo to Kyoto/Osaka is about three hours by train or one hour by air + loving around in airports/transfers either side, so it balances out and trains and planes are equally popular. Tokyo to Fukuoka is about six hours by bullet train, but only 1.5-2 hours by plane, so even with the extra time in airports, flying is much more popular than taking the train.

That's not even getting into how flexible air routes are compared to trains, especially bullet trains. You can only travel to a rather limited portion of the country solely by taking the bullet train, but not so with planes.

Neon Noodle
Nov 11, 2016

there's nothing wrong here in montana

Platystemon posted:

That is extremely attractive and I wish that design were still around.

Spy_Guy
Feb 19, 2013

Platystemon posted:

Here’s a video of an Itron-equipped calculator in action:

Oh, hey. One of my videos.

I made another one more recently which I slowed down to show the cascade better:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9w4BOmWECBE

(would have been nice with a real high-speed camera, though)

legooolas
Jul 30, 2004

Iron Crowned posted:

:same: although I think for me what I miss is being able to write instead of type. If I could use graffiti on a modern smart phone, that would be aces

You mean like the Graffiti Pro app on Android? (By Access, who took over the Palm OS licensing I believe)

I've not tried it for many years, but when I used it it was fine. Then they updated it and added adverts. To a keyboard app. With no paid alternative app without the adverts. ffs :P (No idea if the current version does that crap)

Goober Peas
Jun 30, 2007

Check out my 'Vette, bro

Spy_Guy posted:

I made another one more recently which I slowed down to show the cascade better:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9w4BOmWECBE

(would have been nice with a real high-speed camera, though)

You have a great voice. I would listen to all of your documentaries.

ReidRansom
Oct 25, 2004

Casu Marzu posted:

The dry air in airplane cabins dull your sense of sweet and salty so tomato juice tastes super rich and fruity and delicious when it otherwise is terrible. I don't touch tomato juice or V8 normally, but a tomato juice while flying is completely different.

Or maybe they're putting vodka in it.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

Goober Peas posted:

You have a great voice. I would listen to all of your documentaries.

If he, James May, and Techmoan combined a show, I would surely never find time to watch anything else.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Spy_Guy posted:

:hf:

I bought a Facit 1128 with the intention of using the tubes for a clock, but it’s a flawless working example so I can’t bring myself to butcher it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O6dPH_D94B0
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rSkSCK0hjrE

Now even broken Sharp EL‐8s sell for more than I paid for the Facit, and with fewer, slightly less pretty tubes at that. :argh:

There is no information about the 1128 model online, but it’s basically the same as the 1126 but with a memory register.

Platystemon has a new favorite as of 03:20 on Mar 4, 2017

Powerlurker
Oct 21, 2010

1000 Brown M and Ms posted:

Re: train chat

Even in Japan where the bullet train (and trains in general) is really popular, if you're going a distance that would be more than three hours or so by bullet train, many people will fly instead. It's cheaper and faster because the extra time you spend in airports doesn't make up for the increase in travel time.

Eg, Tokyo to Kyoto/Osaka is about three hours by train or one hour by air + loving around in airports/transfers either side, so it balances out and trains and planes are equally popular. Tokyo to Fukuoka is about six hours by bullet train, but only 1.5-2 hours by plane, so even with the extra time in airports, flying is much more popular than taking the train.

That's not even getting into how flexible air routes are compared to trains, especially bullet trains. You can only travel to a rather limited portion of the country solely by taking the bullet train, but not so with planes.

And Japan is basically a best case for passenger rail because almost all of the major population centers lie along one axis.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
Really people want a better plane experience, which is never going to happen.

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

Teriyaki Hairpiece posted:

It exists already as first or business class, just gotta be ready to pay out the rear end for it.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Economy class has to be a painful and annoying experience, otherwise nobody would ever pay more for business class.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Well, I guess I have to go back on some of my earlier statements regarding Spotify, because I've been on their premium plan for about a week now, and it's totally great :)

Out of 16,304 songs in my MP3 collection (all legally obtained, I swear...), only 1,835 are not on Spotify. Most of them are relatively obscure (MS-DOS themed synth metal chiptunes and such), but there some surprises.

For instance, only the three newest Blind Guardian albums are on Spotify, none of their older (and better) albums are there. The same goes for Fu Manchu, four of their best albums are missing. And Skunk Anansie's "Post Orgasmic Chill", which I think is a really odd omission. And it's all down to record label bullshit. But as a whole, most of the missing stuff is relatively obscure, and I don't have any issues keeping it around. In fact I'm keeping all of the stuff that's on Spotify too, because I need music for the MP3 player in my car, at least until I find a decent Bluetooth receiver, I guess.

So yeah, Spotify is pretty great, CDs are pretty much obsolete. I'm not sure locally stored MP3 etc. music is obsolete, but streaming is a drat good replacement for most people. If I can save $40-50/month for the $9.99 Spotify Premium costs, I'm definitely down with that.

Explosionface
May 30, 2011

We can dance if we want to,
we can leave Marle behind.
'Cause your fiends don't dance,
and if they don't dance,
they'll get a Robo Fist of mine.

KozmoNaut posted:

So yeah, Spotify is pretty great, CDs are pretty much obsolete. I'm not sure locally stored MP3 etc. music is obsolete, but streaming is a drat good replacement for most people. If I can save $40-50/month for the $9.99 Spotify Premium costs, I'm definitely down with that.

For me, having my music on an iPod plugged into my car for highway travel is the only reliable way to get music I want on the go. Long stretches of rural highways in the Midwest aren't nice to internet connections. But that does sound pretty great overall.

Zodijackylite
Oct 18, 2005

hello bonjour, en francais we call the bread man l'homme de pain, because pain means bread and we're going to see a lot of pain this year and every nyrfan is looking forward to it and hey tony, can you wait until after my postgame interview to get on your phone? i thought you quit twitter...

KozmoNaut posted:

Well, I guess I have to go back on some of my earlier statements regarding Spotify, because I've been on their premium plan for about a week now, and it's totally great :)

Out of 16,304 songs in my MP3 collection (all legally obtained, I swear...), only 1,835 are not on Spotify. Most of them are relatively obscure (MS-DOS themed synth metal chiptunes and such), but there some surprises.

There is only one format you need that on:

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Explosionface posted:

For me, having my music on an iPod plugged into my car for highway travel is the only reliable way to get music I want on the go. Long stretches of rural highways in the Midwest aren't nice to internet connections. But that does sound pretty great overall.

I'll have to try and see how it'll turn out, but I think I have good coverage just about anywhere I would consider going, other than international travel.

I know one of the arguments from Spotify in response to Taylor Swift and others pulling the music from Spotify, is that their premium subscribers pay more ($120/year) than the average music listener spends on music, around twice as much actually. I'm definitely an edge case, I probably spent at least $500 on music last year, not counting concerts and festivals. I'm definitely saving money, by not buying albums that I would only listen to a couple of times, to be honest.

Zodijackylite posted:

I am SO tempted by those albums.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Zodijackylite posted:

Holy poo poo. Also the music is pretty cool, I just hope it was made only with an array of floppy drives and dot matrix printers and scanners and hard drives like one would expect.

mobby_6kl has a new favorite as of 19:53 on Mar 9, 2017

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007
Why not just set up a Plex server and stream your own music for free?

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Imagined posted:

Why not just set up a Plex server and stream your own music for free?

Because I would have to acquire that music somehow, and even cheap albums on Bandcamp are usually between $5-7. For less indie artists, that increases to $15-$20 for a CD or even more for an LP.

Sure, I could just listen to the music I have now and never buy any more, but I'm not really interested in that solution ;)

I can stream from my NAS via DLNA to my Chromecasts when I'm at home, but that doesn't have Spotify's huge catalog, recommendations and curated playlists. It works for my non-Spotify music, though.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

Teriyaki Hairpiece posted:

They say they want that. But that doesn't mean they do. If they're given the choice between a more expensive better plane experience and a cheaper coach seat, they pick the coach seat, which means their actual preference is for the cheaper seat.

KozmoNaut posted:

Sirius, however, still sucks. Got a new car so it came with a 6-month subscription or whatever, and dear lord I can't figure out why anyone wants to pay for it. They have a station for each decade (70s, 80s, 90s, etc) and you'd think that if they're going to broadcast nothing but 80s pop 24 hours a day that they'd have some real variety in what they play. Nope, it's the same exact playlist any terrestrial 80s station would have. There's one station called "Deep Tracks" where they'll play the lesser-known stuff off of albums, but why the gently caress isn't every station that? Maybe it's a similar phenomenon, and even though people say they want variety they really don't actually want to hear any Depeche Mode songs other than People Are People and if you try playing them anything off of A Broken Frame they'll unsubscribe. But really, unless you're a big Howard Stern fan and need to listen to him, who the gently caress pays for Sirius?

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

I took the train once, from Amsterdam to Berlin. It was alright, definitely nice to be able to walk around, and the bar car is always fun.

Flying lately has been such a loving mixed bag, though. I read somewhere that airlines are starting to bring back amenities because the market is so cut-throat now, but it's weirdly inconsistent. I flew NYC to Dallas and back a couple of weeks ago on the same airline - on the way down, alcoholic drinks and wi-fi were free, on the way back I asked for a pillow and they told me it was $8 :shrug:

Phanatic posted:

Sirius, however, still sucks. Got a new car so it came with a 6-month subscription or whatever, and dear lord I can't figure out why anyone wants to pay for it. They have a station for each decade (70s, 80s, 90s, etc) and you'd think that if they're going to broadcast nothing but 80s pop 24 hours a day that they'd have some real variety in what they play. Nope, it's the same exact playlist any terrestrial 80s station would have. There's one station called "Deep Tracks" where they'll play the lesser-known stuff off of albums, but why the gently caress isn't every station that? Maybe it's a similar phenomenon, and even though people say they want variety they really don't actually want to hear any Depeche Mode songs other than People Are People and if you try playing them anything off of A Broken Frame they'll unsubscribe. But really, unless you're a big Howard Stern fan and need to listen to him, who the gently caress pays for Sirius?

Holy poo poo, it's like $10-20 a month now, too. I feel like back in the day when they were separate companies I had a Sirius subscription for like $12 a year.

Most of the stations are poo poo, yeah, but the metal station is decent, and the punk-ish station is alright when it's not one of the "drunken extreme sports pro and his idiot friends bullshitting on-air for an hour."

I never saw Jason Ellis do his sport (I think he's a BMXer, maybe?) but holy gently caress do I hate his guts from listening to his idiotic show on Faction in college.

Snow Cone Capone has a new favorite as of 21:15 on Mar 9, 2017

Konstantin
Jun 20, 2005
And the Lord said, "Look, they are one people, and they have all one language; and this is only the beginning of what they will do; nothing that they propose to do will now be impossible for them.

Phanatic posted:

Truckers are a big market, especially since they often go to areas with spotty mobile data coverage.

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.

Phanatic posted:

But really, unless you're a big Howard Stern fan and need to listen to him, who the gently caress pays for Sirius?

I do, even though I don't listen to Stern :saddowns: It comes down to terrestrial radio being miles worse for two reasons: I truly believe the variety (especially genre-wise) is far worse, and the commercials are interminable. That said, yes -- SXM has gotten too expensive. I'll be calling them up to renegotiate my subscription. I still like Lithium, Liquid Metal, First Wave, Chill...

A streaming service seems like the obvious alternative but my car (2005 Infiniti G35) doesn't have Bluetooth, USB, or even an AUX jack. I'd have to cobble together a FM transmitter + cables solution, and I'd even deal with that if I found a streaming service that was better at DJ-generated sets than SXM.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

At ten bucks a month, you could earn back the price of a new head for your car stereo in less than a year. Buy one with bluetooth/aux or whatever.

Trebek
Mar 7, 2002
College Slice

Trabant posted:

I do, even though I don't listen to Stern :saddowns: It comes down to terrestrial radio being miles worse for two reasons: I truly believe the variety (especially genre-wise) is far worse, and the commercials are interminable. That said, yes -- SXM has gotten too expensive. I'll be calling them up to renegotiate my subscription. I still like Lithium, Liquid Metal, First Wave, Chill...

A streaming service seems like the obvious alternative but my car (2005 Infiniti G35) doesn't have Bluetooth, USB, or even an AUX jack. I'd have to cobble together a FM transmitter + cables solution, and I'd even deal with that if I found a streaming service that was better at DJ-generated sets than SXM.

Does it have a tape deck by chance? I used this in my 04 Deville for years.

I heart bacon
Nov 18, 2007

:burger: It's burgin' time! :burger:

Trebek posted:

Does it have a tape deck by chance? I used this in my 04 Deville for years.

I bet you a shiny new donkey that it doesn't. I have an 06 xterra with no aux/usb/bluetooth and it sucks to cobble fm transmitters onto things. I really want to get a new head unit one of these days.

Humerus
Jul 7, 2009

Rule of acquisition #111:
Treat people in your debt like family...exploit them.

Your car's radio might have an aux port in the back of the unit. My 2006 Corolla radio just has a CD player, but around back is an aux port for hooking up a CD changer. I got an adapter that has an iPod dock connector and just a regular 3.5mm jack.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

My car has an aux port but using it would be a bitch, you have to drill a goddamn hole in the dash for it. It's the stock head unit too.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

Worst case you buy something like this: https://www.amazon.com/iSimple-IS31-Antenna-Modulator-Aftermarket/dp/B002U5XPBE

It goes between your FM antenna and the stereo, then when you plug in your phone & flip the switch it disconnects the antenna and instead runs your music through FM modulation and directly into the stereo. Supposed to have much better sound than an FM transmitter, at the cost of some installation.

My personal preference is for tape adapters because tape decks are cool.

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

Yeah, a lot of cars, especially cheaper ones, from the late 2000s only have CD, AM/FM, and (probably subsidized) Sirius/XM receivers. No aux, no Bluetooth, nothing.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Anyone who recommends an FM transmitter has never tried using one in or around a major city

SEKCobra
Feb 28, 2011

Hi
:saddowns: Don't look at my site :saddowns:

Kelp Me! posted:

Anyone who recommends an FM transmitter has never tried using one in or around a major city

I disagree, I live in a major city and used to live directly below the main FM broadcast tower, a good one works perfectly fine and doesn't interfere with anyone else. There is enough unused bandwidth, at least in my country.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

carry on then posted:

Yeah, a lot of cars, especially cheaper ones, from the late 2000s only have CD, AM/FM, and (probably subsidized) Sirius/XM receivers. No aux, no Bluetooth, nothing.

My 2005 Mazda has a button for a minidisc player. :smug: (There's no actual minidisc player installed since I didn't get the option package for it, so the button does nothing. But it's my go-to button for when I want to pretend I'm hitting Turbo Boost or Passenger Ejection Seat or Dispense Root Beer.)

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

We rent cars every few months and it's a complete crapshoot what any given car will have for music connections, or where they'll be hidden. Bluetooth is awful because the only thing that's more of a pain in the rear end than pairing your phone is unpairing it so it doesn't stick around in the device list forever. USB is also terrible because God alone knows what depth of file structure the car's system can handle. And every entertainment system seems to have a different UI and different rules as to what it'll play automatically or where it will look for your files.

Just put in an audio jack. Pure audio signal, no need for communication between car and phone, and everyone's happy. And I can hook up whatever audio source I want. I've more than once thought about bringing a synthesizer but my girlfriend explained she would throw us both out of the car.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

Kelp Me! posted:

Good thing nobody's suggested that.

My Lovely Horse posted:

We rent cars every few months and it's a complete crapshoot what any given car will have for music connections, or where they'll be hidden. Bluetooth is awful because the only thing that's more of a pain in the rear end than pairing your phone is unpairing it so it doesn't stick around in the device list forever. USB is also terrible because God alone knows what depth of file structure the car's system can handle. And every entertainment system seems to have a different UI and different rules as to what it'll play automatically or where it will look for your files.

Just put in an audio jack. Pure audio signal, no need for communication between car and phone, and everyone's happy. And I can hook up whatever audio source I want. I've more than once thought about bringing a synthesizer but my girlfriend explained she would throw us both out of the car.

Bluetooth really is loving awful.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Kelp Me! posted:

The linked product has a direct electric connection to the FM tuner.