Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

only people who enjoy my posting can replace this avatar
Region/country distribution restrictions need to be a thing of the past, yet companies like netflix/amazon/etc have been digging further in on the issue. So many times I try to watch some youtube video of something people post here and I get "the uploader has not made this available in your country"...why the hell not? And then there's the thing about blocking VPN users - I pay for a netflix subscription, I should be able to watch it even if I am using a VPN.

I get that the reason is they would have to pay more to make it available, but considering the state of the internet now media companies should be moving more toward a globalized model. I'm sure this opinion isn't unpopular among the customers but it apparently is very unpopular with the people who actually make these decisions because they aren't doing poo poo to stop/fix it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tony Bologna
Sep 21, 2007

Talk real good 'cause I'm smart and stuff

Wheat Loaf posted:

Anyway, as far as rock albums and rock albums only go, the best live album of the 1970s was Live: Full House by the J. Geils Band.

Yeah, loving J. Geils Band, that's the one to go with. "Live and Dangerous," "At Fillmore East," and "Fillmore East" were definitely not better than a live album which only interesting bit is a mediocre harmonica solo.

Every attempt at a Budgie cover is catastrophically bad. Metallica's version of "Breadfan" is pretty bad. Iron Maiden's version "I Can't See My Feelings" is embarrassing to listen to, Soundgarden's cover of "Homicidal Suicidal" is actually really good, but whatever.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Tony Bologna posted:

Yeah, loving J. Geils Band, that's the one to go with. "Live and Dangerous," "At Fillmore East," and "Fillmore East" were definitely not better than a live album which only interesting bit is a mediocre harmonica solo.

I'm not into heavy metal and I don't tend to enjoy 20-minute jams. :shrug:

(Not sure which the second Fillmore East you're referring to is - I assume it's Zappa but it could be a lot of people.)

Tony Bologna
Sep 21, 2007

Wheat Loaf posted:

I'm not into heavy metal and I don't tend to enjoy 20-minute jams. :shrug:

(Not sure which the second Fillmore East you're referring to is - I assume it's Zappa but it could be a lot of people.)

Yeah, Zappa. Is Thin Lizzy considered heavy metal?

Also, this might be a very regional popular opinion, but Rush should have dumped Alex Lifeson 40 years ago and made Kim Mitchell their guitarist.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Music opinions are like telling people about the amazing dream you had.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Tony Bologna posted:

Yeah, Zappa. Is Thin Lizzy considered heavy metal?

Huh. You know, I'm not sure. I've always thought of them as a kind of proto-NWOBHM band, a bit like UFO and maybe the Michael Schenker Group, though obviously Lynott had a pretty unique voice for the genre.

Frankly, I'm a dreadful square who'd say Fighting era Thin Lizzy or, I don't know, something like Imagination Lady era Chicken Shack is probably about as heavy as he's happy to go in for. I mean, Live and Dangerous no doubt would be on my best live albums list for the 1970s but something like Live Bullet would probably be ahead of it. :shobon:

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

sassassin posted:

That's underthinking. If people are genuinely missing an obvious point, accuse them of thinking badly, not of thinking too much.

Not necessarily. Someone could assume that the actual theme of a film is actually just a red herring and (what they imagine to be) the real theme is something super complex based entirely off of a ton of subjective interpretations of various elements of the film.

Like, it's possible for a movie to actually be straight-forward and for someone to wrongly assume there's deeper layers to it.

Obviously someone thinking this doesn't hurt anyone, but I would still say it's a dumb thing to think in certain situations (and sometimes people will insult those who accept the more mainstream interpretation of a film for not ~truly understanding~ it).

edit: Actually, this only really bothers me when someone tries to argue that their bizarre interpretation is correct and people who don't accept it are dumb. I don't really mind if someone just has some alternative interpretation, even if it's dumb; it's only annoying if they act like other people are stupid for not sharing their interpretation.

Ytlaya has a new favorite as of 21:32 on Mar 9, 2017

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

Baronjutter posted:

I think there are some music opinions that fit in the context of this thread but my eyes glazed over the past several essay posts about music. I'd rather read just about anything, even Jastiger posting about riff raff (please don't consider this an invitation to post about riff raff jastiger).

Tony Bologna
Sep 21, 2007

Wheat Loaf posted:

Huh. You know, I'm not sure. I've always thought of them as a kind of proto-NWOBHM band, a bit like UFO and maybe the Michael Schenker Group, though obviously Lynott had a pretty unique voice for the genre.

Frankly, I'm a dreadful square who'd say Fighting era Thin Lizzy or, I don't know, something like Imagination Lady era Chicken Shack is probably about as heavy as he's happy to go in for. I mean, Live and Dangerous no doubt would be on my best live albums list for the 1970s but something like Live Bullet would probably be ahead of it. :shobon:

Speaking of MSG, I saw him live a few years ago, and he's got a bass player who is bald except for a huge braided ponytail on top of his head that he insists on spinning like a propeller during all the songs and everyone was whipping beers at the poor dude the entire set and it was amazing.

Baronjutter posted:

At least it's largely innocuous.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
Thin Lizzy influenced metal (Mastodon and Overkill both have covers of Emerald) but they were really just the world's greatest bar rock band.

Tony Bologna
Sep 21, 2007

Henchman of Santa posted:

Thin Lizzy influenced metal (Mastodon and Overkill both have covers of Emerald) but they were really just the world's greatest bar rock band.

uh, a great bar rock band with the best guitar duo since Duane Allman and Dicky Betts? (lol if you count Judas Priest, K.K. Downing is a loving joke)

Off music, all fried things taste like oil and are terrible to eat. Fries, chips, tempura, all garbage. Eat a loving bell pepper you dongs.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

yeah I eat rear end posted:

Region/country distribution restrictions need to be a thing of the past

I get that the reason is they would have to pay more to make it available
In many cases it's not even a matter of paying more, it's to do with laws set up to protect the interests of established publishers/broadcasters.

Tony Bologna posted:

Off music, all fried things taste like oil and are terrible to eat. Fries, chips, tempura, all garbage. Eat a loving bell pepper you dongs.
Can I fry it?

spit on my clit
Jul 19, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Tony Bologna posted:

what about fried pickles

Tony Bologna
Sep 21, 2007

spit on my clit posted:

what about fried pickles

Never had one, but I imagine you eat them at TGI Fridays with ranch dressing and it's loving foul?

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

I think there are some music opinions that fit in the context of this thread but my eyes glazed over the past several essay posts about music. I'd rather read just about anything, even Jastiger posting about riff raff (please don't consider this an invitation to post about riff raff jastiger).

Ive spent the last week on the Iowa/Wisconsin border and the amount of riff raff and lack of attractive women is staggering. Prairie du Chien just lol.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Tiggum posted:

Can I fry it?

Hell yeah chile rellenos.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
The book Roadside Picnic is better than the movie Stalker

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.
I am very pleased to have few reservations with food coupled with the sensibility to not eat like a sow. I also like very sweet sweets as that means I only have to have a bit before I'm satiated.
Food is good, friends. Pace yourselves.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Guy Goodbody posted:

The book Roadside Picnic is better than the movie Stalker

it doesn't matter because both are peak achievements in their respective genres.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Region/country distribution restrictions need to be a thing of the past,
It's mainly because of the legacy model for movie distribution where producers sell the right to distribute the movie to different distributors in each region. For Netflix to have the right to show a movie world wide they have to strike a deal with each distributor which can be tricky or simply not economical.

Collateral Damage has a new favorite as of 10:46 on Mar 10, 2017

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Fister Roboto posted:

Hell yeah chile rellenos.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I don't even know what the gently caress "tastes like oil" is supposed to mean. It sounds like something a 4 year old would say. Combined with the lame bell pepper burn I'm giving that post a big fat F.

Edit for PHUO:

Wolfenstein TNO is a really mediocre game best. I'd venture to say it kind of sucks.

Reza Aslan is a smug tool and it's funny that people are mad at him right now for eating a human brain.

veni veni veni has a new favorite as of 10:43 on Mar 10, 2017

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

veni veni veni posted:

It sounds like something a 4 year old would say.

This, but about almost every foodpost ITT.

I can understand avoiding fried food to be more healthy, but you're a liar if you say flat-out that you don't like it. I mean sure if you get the last fried chicken breast at the bottom of the Golden Corral tray that has been sitting there for 12 hours, you won't enjoy that, but properly fried non-overly-greasy food is delicious.

It's like saying you hate grilled food because it "tastes like charcoal". Blanket statements like this (unless you happen to be Hank Hill) are also stupid.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

I've never seen someone tout their credentials and PhD as much as Reza Aslan outside of an Aaron Sorkin show. He's an rear end in a top hat on Twitter too and I don't understand how anyone likes him.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

veni veni veni posted:

Wolfenstein TNO is a really mediocre game best. I'd venture to say it kind of sucks.
Every time I'd be starting to enjoy myself it would take all my weapons away and make me start again. lovely game.

if you get the last fried chicken breast at the bottom of the Golden Corral tray that has been sitting there for 12 hours, you won't enjoy that
Speak for yourself.

doverhog
May 31, 2013

Defender of democracy and human rights 🇺🇦

Region/country distribution restrictions need to be a thing of the past, yet companies like netflix/amazon/etc have been digging further in on the issue. So many times I try to watch some youtube video of something people post here and I get "the uploader has not made this available in your country"...why the hell not? And then there's the thing about blocking VPN users - I pay for a netflix subscription, I should be able to watch it even if I am using a VPN.

I get that the reason is they would have to pay more to make it available, but considering the state of the internet now media companies should be moving more toward a globalized model. I'm sure this opinion isn't unpopular among the customers but it apparently is very unpopular with the people who actually make these decisions because they aren't doing poo poo to stop/fix it.

Netflix is moving towards and investing heavily in producing their own content, partly because they don't have to deal with licensing bullshit when they own the rights outright. So, they are doing something.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Mu Zeta posted:

I've never seen someone tout their credentials and PhD as much as Reza Aslan outside of an Aaron Sorkin show. He's an rear end in a top hat on Twitter too and I don't understand how anyone likes him.

Yeah. The guy can't finish a sentence without mentioning his PHD. He is insufferable. He is right about a lot of things but he is just such an rear end in a top hat about it I can't stand him.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

doverhog posted:

Netflix is moving towards and investing heavily in producing their own content, partly because they don't have to deal with licensing bullshit when they own the rights outright. So, they are doing something.

90% of their content is trash though. They are doing something but it is not in the interest of the consumer (as evidenced by their cracking down on VPN users), it is only in their interest.

doverhog
May 31, 2013

Defender of democracy and human rights 🇺🇦
Most Netflix original content is actually good. Now of course you may think that, for example, House of Cards and the Marvel shows are trash, in which case, ok man, ok...

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

doverhog posted:

Most Netflix original content is actually good. Now of course you may think that, for example, House of Cards and the Marvel shows are trash, in which case, ok man, ok...

Have you seen how many shows they are making GBS threads out now? Have you tried watching them all? I said 90% because 10%, such as the ones you are referring to, are pretty good. The rest is uninteresting trash.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Actually most of their original content is pretty solid. Not all of it appeals to me but calling it trash is pretty unwarranted. They pump out as much decent content as any cable station and then some.

Now, I do understand why people who just want movies would not be happy with that though.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
Netflix hits about as often as any respected cable network

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
Most Netflix shows are good for the first season then suck assss

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

Until Netflix starts showing tits and rear end regularly their original series will never take off aside from the occasional hits like house of cards/stranger things/etc

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

A bunch of them are as full of T&A as any HBO show.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

veni veni veni posted:

A bunch of them are as full of T&A as any HBO show.

I have yet to see a netflix show star hang dong so I disagree.

e: I guess dong is neither T or A but still. Netflix exclusive shows are light on nudity in general.

Fashionable Jorts
Jan 18, 2010

Maybe if I'm busy it could keep me from you

Henchman of Santa posted:

Netflix hits about as often as any respected cable network

That seems about right. They've produced a lot of stuff, much of which is bad, like any channel. But when they strike gold with stuff like Stranger Things, Orange Is the New Black, or House of Cards, its incredible.

But for every Dirk Gently you get a Pacific Heat.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
BBC House of Cards is better than Netflix House of Cards.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

I have yet to see a netflix show star hang dong so I disagree.

e: I guess dong is neither T or A but still. Netflix exclusive shows are light on nudity in general.

Orange is the New Black is the nakedest show I've ever seen, but they've yet to show a dong

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Apparently unpopular opinion: Stranger Things was mediocre at best. I just don't see what all the fuss is about. It's an utterly forgettable show.