Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

Released in 2003, Castlevania: Aria of Sorrow is one of the last and best Metroidvanias made for the Gameboy Advance.

After Dracula's final defeat in 1999, he and his castle were sealed into the eclipse because reasons. In 2035, Soma Cruz and his fabulous coat were sucked into the eclipse, and now he must conquer the castle and absorb the monsters' powers in order to escape, and find his girlfriend a personality. The game's story is simple and predictable, but it does what needs to be done, and provides a twist that is, if not surprising, at least creative, and takes the series in a new direction.

We're gonna be ignoring all of that poo poo.

My name is PMush Perfect, and I am going to be performing a challenge run. Specifically to spite this game's RPG elements, I am going to be completing the entire game without ever killing a single unnecessary enemy, up to the true final boss, Chaos.

How's this gonna work?
This is going to be a hybrid LP of a sort. On Normal, I will be completing each section in a single run, with deaths mostly edited out, using subtitles to explain the strategies and quirks of this particular challenge. Then, once you know what I'm supposed to be doing, Hard will be a montage of my many, many deaths (and occasional successes) for two co-commentators to bathe in schadenfreude and laugh at me sucking at video games. There will be a rotating roster for the latter, so if you have a mic and a sense of humor and you want in on this, shoot me a PM.

Spoiler Policy
I would prefer we avoid gameplay spoilers, because for anyone who does not know the game, I don't want to ruin the surprise of just how I'm going to get my rear end kicked. Story spoilers, I'm much more lax about, and won't really be paying any attention to. If you'd like a more standard run of the game, I recommend Garin's Hard Mode LP. It's definitely not a bad story, just not what I'm here for.

Normal Mode

Hard Mode

Featuring Herr Tog and UZWorm

Featuring Herr Tog and CirclMastr

Hard Mode discontinued because, frankly, I'm just not good enough.

Special

Featuring Castleween!

girl dick energy fucked around with this message at 11:13 on Jun 28, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.
I'm a big fan of this game, and a big fan of watching people beat their heads against low level runs in CV. Looking forward to this!

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012
ah, it's the best GBA Castelvania, heck yeah

Dr. Hurt
Oct 23, 2010

Dawn of Sorrow is the superior Sorrow. I sure love flailing around on the touchscreen. But really any GBA/DS Castlevania games are good fun.

I am v. excited to see you die a whole bunch from just constantly tanking enemy hits in order to get through them.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

Dr. Hurt posted:

Dawn of Sorrow is the superior Sorrow. I sure love flailing around on the touchscreen. But really any GBA/DS Castlevania games are good fun.

Counterpoint: Dawn of Sorrow's character designs are more generic (excepting the priestess lady, I guess), and its story is not nearly as good. About all it has going for it is that smug jerk villain (EDIT: okay, the Castlevania 3 mode is also pretty good, in fact it's by far better than the main mode). But worst of all, they jacked the soul rarity way up while also shoehorning in a dumb crafting system to force you to grind for souls if you want to use non-starter-tier weapons, and a dumb soul leveling system that means that even when you do get a soul it'll probably be underpowered unless you grind for more copies of it!

They should have named it Grind of Sorrow. It's the worst modern Castlevania, possibly excepting Circle of the Moon. Ranking is something like Ecclesia > Aria = Portrait > Symphony > Dissonance > Moon =?= Dawn.

TooMuchAbstraction fucked around with this message at 02:38 on Feb 26, 2017

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Dr. Hurt posted:

I am v. excited to see you die a whole bunch from just constantly tanking enemy hits in order to get through them.

the touchscreen stuff was all a dumb gimmick tho

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

If I had any doubts about it, they were lost in your painful bashing against enemies just to get through.

I will greatly enjoy your pain, I'm sure. Can't wait for the hard mode videos!

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
For my money this is best Metroidvania game, looking forward to this.

Would be down to commentate on an ep or two because I love this game, but my schedule is all sorts of hosed up from week to week so we'll see :shrug:

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Dissonance is the worst one.
Hands down. Maxim mode kinda saves it. Kinda. Then its circle of the moon.
Ecclesia is some kind of magic and is probably the best possible refinements to the style of gameplay that symphony started. Its just so drat good.

(I wonder how much harder this challenge would be without the xp you get from bosses)

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
I like Circle of the Moon more but it's still a pretty solid game, some really uninspired boss and area design apart. Dawn improved on that - at the cost of being worse at everything else.

Ecclesia is the best Castlevania period. Thus spake anilEhilated.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Hard #1 coming soon. Editing an hour and a half of me dying to regular rear end enemies takes a long time.

Dr. Hurt
Oct 23, 2010

PMush Perfect posted:

Hard #1 coming soon. Editing an hour and a half of me dying to regular rear end enemies takes a long time.

:gaz: It begins :gaz:

CirclMastr
Jul 4, 2010

I have a feeling I'm going to enjoy this.

If you're still looking for co-commentators, hit me up.

Herr Tog
Jun 18, 2011

Grimey Drawer

PMush Perfect posted:

I am so eager to see which this early are your actual problems.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

This time on Medusa Head: Expositional yet pointless dialogue.

girl dick energy fucked around with this message at 14:41 on Mar 18, 2017

MatchaZed
Feb 14, 2010

We Can Do It!

PMush Perfect posted:

"This video is not available."

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

WilliamAnderson posted:

"This video is not available."
Hmm. I know some browsers can't handle https links, for whatever reason, but I don't think that's what's happening here. I've viewed it successfully on several different computers (and one phone), so, unfortunately, I think the problem is probably on your end.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe
Yeah, it works for me. :shrug:

Also, good editing choices.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
Lightning Doll or bust :colbert: Valkyrie is also good because so much in this game is weak to Holy damage.

I knew about that back door to the IQ but never bothered with it since I'm too much of a rule-follower. Also because the Headhunter soul is really good but I can see why you'd want to skip that fight on a low-level run! Do you not need the slide elsewhere in the game?

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe

C-Euro posted:

Lightning Doll or bust :colbert: Valkyrie is also good because so much in this game is weak to Holy damage.

I knew about that back door to the IQ but never bothered with it since I'm too much of a rule-follower. Also because the Headhunter soul is really good but I can see why you'd want to skip that fight on a low-level run! Do you not need the slide elsewhere in the game?

I think the only required use of the slide is one of the paths into Top Floor. I'm also pretty sure that you can get Giant Bat before needing to go that way, which just lets you fly through the slot instead.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

I'm also pretty sure that you can get Giant Bat before needing to go that way, which just lets you fly through the slot instead.
Bingo.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

UZworm
Feb 9, 2009

Young wild Elsweyrian
C'mon baby, do you have a soul gem

PMush Perfect posted:

All downhill from here!

Herr Tog
Jun 18, 2011

Grimey Drawer
Casual cloths run is best run

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

📡scanning🛰️ for good game 🎮design🦔🦔🦔
Are you recording this with the built-in AVI recorder off Visual Boy Advance? Because that way you will get desynch. I had that problem too until I got the recommendation to switch to VBA re-recording, which is basically the same emulator but the AVI recorder doesn't desynch. Might be helpful?

UZworm
Feb 9, 2009

Young wild Elsweyrian
C'mon baby, do you have a soul gem

Simply Simon posted:

Are you recording this with the built-in AVI recorder off Visual Boy Advance? Because that way you will get desynch. I had that problem too until I got the recommendation to switch to VBA re-recording, which is basically the same emulator but the AVI recorder doesn't desynch. Might be helpful?

I use Bizhawk for recording now, it's another good option for GB games and the like.

Dr. Hurt
Oct 23, 2010

Herr Tog posted:

Casual cloths run is best run

What's a reincarnated Dracula's favorite day of the week?

Casual fly-day!

(Note: joke will work much better once pmush gets the giant bat soul)

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

quote:

Mama Hen - Today at 1:08 PM
Sorry about radio silence on the LP. I've been trying to get the soul from one of the bosses

I looked up stuff from TAS resources about RNG manipulation

And every so often, a seed will just straight-up freeze the game

After about a hundred attempts, I am ready to say, fairly definitively

It is impossible to get the soul because every time it WOULD drop, the game softlocks.

THIS TOOK SEVERAL HOURS OF ATTEMPTS TO FIGURE OUT

I am going to need to take a short break from the game now.

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

A vase to face encounter.

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

Uh, ouch, wow. That's really bizarre and really lovely. I can hardly blame you, but hopefully it comes back soon - I've been enjoying it so far!

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

It may in fact be because I was toying around with gameshark codes earlier to try and turn on 100% soul drop rate, to save myself from grinding like this in the future.

...I may need to test if this freezes ANY soul drop.

:negative:

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe
See if you can contact the folks on the TASVideos forums; they'll have a game thread in their GBA subforum for this game. They can a) help you directly set the RNG via memory address manipulation (which is cheating, but helpful for diagnostic purposes), and b) help you figure out why the game is locking up.

You're presumably on an emulator of some kind, it could also be worth trying a different emulator to see if you're running into an emulation bug.

...is the soul Manticore? That's one of the transformation souls, isn't it?

EDIT: oh yeah, gameshark codes could be an easy culprit. Especially if it is Manticore since IIRC that enemy has some kind of weird double-kill thing you can do which might be confusing the game logic.

Ryushikaze
Mar 5, 2013

PMush Perfect posted:

Mama Hen - Today at 1:08 PM
Sorry about radio silence on the LP. I've been trying to get the soul from one of the bosses

I looked up stuff from TAS resources about RNG manipulation

And every so often, a seed will just straight-up freeze the game

After about a hundred attempts, I am ready to say, fairly definitively

It is impossible to get the soul because every time it WOULD drop, the game softlocks.

THIS TOOK SEVERAL HOURS OF ATTEMPTS TO FIGURE OUT

I am going to need to take a short break from the game now.

What soul were you trying to get to drop?

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Yeah, Manticore, so I can get under the waterfall. If I can get the Great Armor soul in the bargain, cool, but that's not necessary.

I didn't do it in the Normal run because there, the Balmung is more than enough. But on hard, that extra little boost from the Claimh Solais is gonna be crucial.

Herr Tog
Jun 18, 2011

Grimey Drawer
I love how the more this LP goes on the more holes we find in it's greatness.

StupidSexyMothman
Aug 9, 2010

PMush Perfect posted:

That trick shot at 6:40 was glorious :allears: you can just barely make out the arrow & you had no real way to avoid it, given your airborne status.
e: and another at 7:25 :lol:

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MV7a4uahTOI

Herr Tog
Jun 18, 2011

Grimey Drawer

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p0j0lO7uQBo&t=4s

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

This Time On Medusa Head: Probably only like half of the music in this episode is from Aria.

hanales
Nov 3, 2013

PMush Perfect posted:

This Time On Medusa Head: Probably only like half of the music in this episode is from Aria.

This is a frustrating challenge to watch, because so many of the enemies are jerks and deserve a swift death.

Especially blue devils.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

That poor Bat did not deserve death. Why did you do it, PMush Perfect? Why?

• Locked thread