Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

If blood be the price of admiralty,
Lord God, we ha' paid in full!
Would you say I have a plethora of words?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

neongrey
Feb 28, 2007

Plaguing your posts with incidental music.
no but i would lustily verbalize it

Trustworthy
Dec 28, 2004

with catte-like thread
upon our prey we steal

Phil Moscowitz posted:

Would you say I have a plethora of words?

Truly a myriad of words

Sitting Here
Dec 31, 2007
a cornucopia of verbiage

ravenkult
Feb 3, 2011

a shitload of letter barfs

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

a herd of words

newtestleper
Oct 30, 2003

Trustworthy posted:

Truly a myriad of words

Is this a troll?

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

newtestleper posted:

Is this a troll?

you're a troll

Trustworthy
Dec 28, 2004

with catte-like thread
upon our prey we steal

sebmojo posted:

you're a troll

A myriad of trolls

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

If blood be the price of admiralty,
Lord God, we ha' paid in full!
A dearth of paucity?

flerp
Feb 25, 2014
im a troll

Djeser
Mar 22, 2013

it's crow time again

an embarrassment of trolls

Emmideer
Oct 20, 2011

Lovely night, no?
Grimey Drawer
An enema of shitposts.

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

i'm a rhino!

Sitting Here
Dec 31, 2007
a pedantic of goons

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool
you're all nerds

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

anime was right posted:

you're all nerds

empty quoting this lol

Ironic Twist
Aug 3, 2008

I'm bokeh, you're bokeh
Can everyone share their own strategies for writing dialogue? Besides stalking/wiretapping

Abundant Atrophy
Nov 3, 2012
Monologue is keeping yourself talking and interested.
Dialogue is keeping the other person talking and interested. What do you say to get the other person to explain XYZ about ABC? What do you say to not bore the other person, if you care? This and believing people only talk to get a reaction from what they're saying or to pry information out of someone.

But then I just come back to this, actual advice.

Dr. Kloctopussy posted:

DIALOGUE

There are two (four?) main things to think about when writing dialogue:
1a) What are people saying
1b) Why are they saying it?
2a) How do they say it?
2b) Why do they say it that way?

Don’t just write what your characters thing or want and put it in quotes!

People don’t always say what they mean. They prevaricate, they flatter, they fish. Moments of direct honesty are rare and dramatic. The ways that characters go about all this depends on who they are, who they are talking to (and in front of), and what they want.

You've got your character and know how they'll behave after modeling them off someone's behavior, so presumably you know how they'd go about boasting about themselves or interrogating the people close to them.

flerp
Feb 25, 2014

sebmojo posted:

empty quoting this lol

Sitting Here
Dec 31, 2007

Ironic Twist posted:

Can everyone share their own strategies for writing dialogue? Besides stalking/wiretapping

my strategy is to talk to people who talk cool and emulate them

Hawklad
May 3, 2003

Who wants to live
forever?

DIVE!

College Slice

Ironic Twist posted:

I've had some luck with writing the first draft without any dialogue tags or blocking. Just their words, back and forth. I tend to get bogged down with those things and lose the flow of the conversation otherwise. Then go back and pare it down and add necessary tags and blocking for color.

Dr. Kloctopussy
Apr 22, 2003

"It's time....to DIE!"

Sitting Here posted:

a pedantic of goons

showbiz_liz
Jun 2, 2008
This is a neat guide to the types of cheesy choices that new (or just bad) fiction writers can make. It's on an SF blog but most of it applies to any fiction writing. Examples-

Nowhere Nowhen Story - Putting too little exposition into the story’s beginning, so that the story, while physically readable, seems to take place in a vacuum and fails to engage any readerly interest.

Fuzz - An element of motivation the author was too lazy to supply. The word “somehow” is a useful tip-off to fuzzy areas of a story. “Somehow she had forgotten to bring her gun.”

The Grubby Apartment Story - Similar to the “poor me” story, this autobiographical effort features a miserably quasi-bohemian writer, living in urban angst in a grubby apartment. The story commonly stars the author’s friends in thin disguises — friends who may also be the author’s workshop companions, to their considerable alarm.

showbiz_liz
Jun 2, 2008
Somewhat related, I just finished a sci-fi anthology in which three of the ten stories were variations on "the inner life of a middle-aged man who hosed up his marriage and family by being incredibly self-involved and emotionally stunted, only to realize it too late, but he totally regrets it so he's still a sympathetic character I swear!" Like, drat, is the editor of this collection trying to tell us something?

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012
in the room where you sleep
All writing is autobiography.

Sometimes writing becomes an excruciatingly detailed confession.

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool

showbiz_liz posted:

This is a neat guide to the types of cheesy choices that new (or just bad) fiction writers can make. It's on an SF blog but most of it applies to any fiction writing. Examples-

Nowhere Nowhen Story - Putting too little exposition into the story’s beginning, so that the story, while physically readable, seems to take place in a vacuum and fails to engage any readerly interest.

Fuzz - An element of motivation the author was too lazy to supply. The word “somehow” is a useful tip-off to fuzzy areas of a story. “Somehow she had forgotten to bring her gun.”

The Grubby Apartment Story - Similar to the “poor me” story, this autobiographical effort features a miserably quasi-bohemian writer, living in urban angst in a grubby apartment. The story commonly stars the author’s friends in thin disguises — friends who may also be the author’s workshop companions, to their considerable alarm.

i cant wait for my book, free of pet peeves, to never sell bc its still bad

Deltasquid
Apr 10, 2013

awww...
you guys made me ink!

THUNDERDOME

Ironic Twist posted:

Dialogue in novels is a "best of" of the dialogue you have IRL. Keep it short, don't meander, every sentence needs to achieve something (even if it's just showing/revealing the personality of the speaker). So basically think about your own dialogues and think "what was the essential part oft his 10-minute talk and how can I distill this into single lines" and avoid the "uhs" and "ums" and repeating yourself.

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.

anime was right posted:

i cant wait for my book, free of pet peeves, to never sell bc its still bad

But how do I write the TV tropes article for your book then

Djeser
Mar 22, 2013

it's crow time again

Ironic Twist posted:

For me writing a person's dialogue is a bit like playing badminton but you can't see the other player, only the birdie. Each person's line is based off their thoughts and what the other person's said, so it comes out as a back and forth flow. Each person has the ideas in their head that they're trying to convey, and each line is taking what the person said before and wrapping that back around to their ideas.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

don't have people answering each other's questions, have people talk over and round and through each other to get what they want. don't write like people talk, write like people talk in good books.

neongrey
Feb 28, 2007

Plaguing your posts with incidental music.
For the love of god, use contractions at every possible instance. People run their words together, it stands out if you don't.

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.

[Famous Writer] wrote without contractions and that is okay, [ageist insult]

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool
i do henceforth declare that this is precisely how the common man articulates

Sitting Here
Dec 31, 2007

anime was right posted:

i do henceforth declare that this is precisely how the common man articulates

No one wants to know how you articulate

e: srsly man that's really gross, TMI

Sitting Here fucked around with this message at 04:38 on Mar 11, 2017

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool

Sitting Here posted:

No one wants to know how you articulate

e: srsly man that's really gross, TMI

you're not my real dad

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool
also anyone want to trade test reading? around 10k words, first threeish chapters of a book. around early next week. no hard deadline. i dont care what genre your book/story/whatever is.

flerp
Feb 25, 2014

anime was right posted:

you're not my real dad

hi dad

Hawklad
May 3, 2003

Who wants to live
forever?

DIVE!

College Slice

sebmojo posted:

don't have people answering each other's questions, have people talk over and round and through each other to get what they want. don't write like people talk, write like people talk in good books.

This for sure.

Also, here's one I'm guilty of -- avoid adding action to dialogue tags.

"Get the gently caress out," Hawklad said, as he stomped his foot and pointed to the door.

reads much better as

"Get the gently caress out," Hawklad said. He stomped his foot and pointed to the door.

The dialogue should be important enough to stand on its own. And so should the action.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FormerPoster
Aug 5, 2004

Hair Elf

Hawklad posted:

This for sure.

Also, here's one I'm guilty of -- avoid adding action to dialogue tags.

"Get the gently caress out," Hawklad said, as he stomped his foot and pointed to the door.

reads much better as

"Get the gently caress out," Hawklad said. He stomped his foot and pointed to the door.

The dialogue should be important enough to stand on its own. And so should the action.

I'd argue it reads even better as

Hawklad stomped his foot and pointed to the door. "Get the gently caress out."

but they all work and at a certain point it's just splitting hairs