Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
Jessica Jones was not very good at all. It was muddled, the actors were all mediocre (except the villain who was fun) and the action, of which there was almost none, was just straight up terribad

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sentinel Red
Nov 13, 2007
Style > Content.
Looking back, most of Daredevil S1 was great, Jessica Jones was mostly average to good in a few spots, Daredevil S2's first half was good, the second half was trash, and Luke Cage was pretty drat boring all through. And all of them were far longer than they needed to be.

At this point, I'd rather get another season of AoS than any of the Netflix stuff.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Oh yes, the action, truly the most important aspect of JJ, how could they afford to gently caress that up

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Well, if you're going to spend screen and filming time on action scenes, shouldn't you make them good? Otherwise just leave them out.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

I'm not saying they were good (I liked the Luke Cage fight in episode 12 though), but the complaint also seemed to be that there barely were any.

Anyway, the problem still isn't the number of episodes. It's something that sounds right but isn't, really. These people aren't married to the exact plot specifics they've laid out, they can and should change them. In fact, I'm willing to say these shows would collectively be a lot better if they moved through plot ideas and stories a lot faster.

10 Beers
May 21, 2005

Shit! I didn't bring a knife.

tooterfish posted:

How would you even do a Brandon Lee homage anyway, shoot someone on set?

That's basically his entire career, if you don't count Showdown in Little Tokyo... and no one sane is going to do an homage to that pile of poo poo.

Rapid Fire! Kick through a banister! Shiv someone with a barbecue fork! Endless possibilities.

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012
in the room where you sleep

Arist posted:

Oh yes, the action, truly the most important aspect of JJ, how could they afford to gently caress that up

Hm. People expect their shows to have consistent quality throughout? Strange.

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006
Maybe Iron Fist will buck the trend and it gets awesome after the first six episodes instead of fading down the stretch.

verdigris murder
Jul 10, 2011

by FactsAreUseless

tooterfish posted:

That's basically his entire career, if you don't count Showdown in Little Tokyo... and no one sane is going to do an homage to that pile of poo poo.

You take that back. Showdown has the best Dolph Lundgren awkward sex scene in cinematic history.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
For me the root issue is that The Defenders seem boring AF compared to literally every other team.

Like the Avengers, The Justice League & the X-Men are kind of defined by their diversity of powers. Even if they are all basically a bunch of white people (and Storm! LoL), they have a wide range of skills and abilities that are written around so that every fight Hulk has to punch the biggest dudes, Iron Man and Thor zap and laser beam the flying guys, Hawk-Eye and Cap'n A can infiltrate the space ship and protect the hostages etc. Batman, Aquaman, Green Lantern, Superman and Wonderman all are very powerful but none of them approach any situation the same way.

The Defenders is just like Daredevil, Punisher (who is literally just Mr. Furious from Mystery Men but with guns) and then the 3 most generic punchmans possible, two of whom don't even have costumes or even loving code names!

Introducing the Protecters! We have Captain Lurkmore, the Puncher, Gunsman, Mark, and Sarah! Like every mission is just going to be Daredevil on the roof fighting ninjas while the other 3 just wade into the fray swinging wildly, I'm like already bored just thinking about it because this is the team that took a multi-million dollar budget and gave us an army of magic ninjas that are universally seen as completely loving boring.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Bust Rodd posted:

For me the root issue is that The Defenders seem boring AF compared to literally every other team.

Like the Avengers, The Justice League & the X-Men are kind of defined by their diversity of powers. Even if they are all basically a bunch of white people (and Storm! LoL), they have a wide range of skills and abilities that are written around so that every fight Hulk has to punch the biggest dudes, Iron Man and Thor zap and laser beam the flying guys, Hawk-Eye and Cap'n A can infiltrate the space ship and protect the hostages etc. Batman, Aquaman, Green Lantern, Superman and Wonderman all are very powerful but none of them approach any situation the same way.

The Defenders is just like Daredevil, Punisher (who is literally just Mr. Furious from Mystery Men but with guns) and then the 3 most generic punchmans possible, two of whom don't even have costumes or even loving code names!

Introducing the Protecters! We have Captain Lurkmore, the Puncher, Gunsman, Mark, and Sarah! Like every mission is just going to be Daredevil on the roof fighting ninjas while the other 3 just wade into the fray swinging wildly, I'm like already bored just thinking about it because this is the team that took a multi-million dollar budget and gave us an army of magic ninjas that are universally seen as completely loving boring.

So you're saying they should've gone with the original lineup

ufarn
May 30, 2009
The fighting in JJ was serviceable, but the "jumping" was inexcusable.

10 Beers
May 21, 2005

Shit! I didn't bring a knife.

verdigris murder posted:

You take that back. Showdown has the best Dolph Lundgren awkward sex scene in cinematic history.

And the dialog after...."That time, I heard you coming." :allears:

TheMaestroso
Nov 4, 2014

I must know your secrets.

ufarn posted:

The fighting in JJ was serviceable, but the "jumping" was inexcusable.

You mean the jumping that she was bad at because she had difficulty controlling her strength? It looked appropriately awkward to me. Oh wait, I'm sorry, it was INEXCUSABLE.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK
The Punisher isn't part of the Defenders. Iron Fist having a weak solo season isn't that surprising, vary rarely does he get to do anything on his own, and as a result there are few really good Iron Fist stories to build a season around. It's is disappointing, but I'm still holding out hope that we get to see a cool portrayal of him punching a dragon.

Sill wish we were getting the Defenders that were A Dude, his Lady, his Buddy, and their Lawyer. But not the Lady Lawyer, the Dude Lawyer. The one the Buddy sometimes impersonates so people don't believe the Lawyer is a ninja.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Her power of lovely cgi.

Bust Rodd posted:

For the record, Nightcrawler is shown in dozens of books to be able to chain-blink to catch up to speeding vehicles. He just bamfs to an arbitrary spot in the sky at max range, steadies himself mid-air, rinse, repeat. This is exhausting physically so he can't fake-fly or whatever, but he's caught up with speeding trains and helicopters before, but that's all moot when you really just stop and remember that Xavier's psychokinetic abilities dwarfed Jean Grey's until the mid-late 90's decided that she was basically a walking physics engine. He could have easily just frozen the plane in mid loving air, but he never uses his powers for 'reasons' because they honestly made him too strong for too long and you kind of have to forget he is there for a lot of his scenes to make sense.

~ :goonsay:

Xavier is a telepath, not telekinetic. He can freeze the pilot but that won't stop the plane.

Aphrodite fucked around with this message at 16:39 on Mar 10, 2017

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

10 Beers posted:

Rapid Fire! Kick through a banister! Shiv someone with a barbecue fork! Endless possibilities.
Okay I admit, I completely forgot Rapid Fire even existed.

Falstaff
Apr 27, 2008

I have a kind of alacrity in sinking.

Aphrodite posted:

Xavier is a telepath, not telekinetic. He can freeze the pilot but that won't stop the plane.

Sometimes Xavier is a low-level telekinetic. (Still not enough to stop a plane, though, more like enough to float his cup of coffee to his wheelchair.)

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

tooterfish posted:

Uh Rapid Fire is great (though I had to google it to remember the name) and the Crow....is unique.....

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Bust Rodd posted:

My heart will always go out to Spawn, even if Todd Macfarlane's attempt to subvert cultural stereotypes misfired since his black character is essentially a homeless vet who can't takecare of his family (who goes on to become a literal angel-loving, god-slaying psychopomp), but there is a trashbag character named Nightwatch who I was super into as a lad ('93-'95). He was basically Techno-Spawn from the ground up, a black scientist who discovers a top-secret nano-suit, but his precious limited run ended up in time-travel fuckery and I JUST NOW learned from reading his wikipedia that they re-introduce him into She-Hulk's law firm in 20-loving-15 and his storyline is so pants-on-head that I'm wondering if there is like a German word for "the act of wishing they'd just let this character fade away instead of watching him suck really bad now".

Wow read that article. That is some impressive character demolishing, like A-Tier, Carol Danvers in Avengers #300 poo poo.

EDIT: Curoius to see the lack of love for JJ. I thought it was the best thing Marvel has done, a really involving, intelligent drama. I guess it could be partially due to a disappointment of expectations? I mean, it's very much not a typical superhero show.

Shageletic fucked around with this message at 17:10 on Mar 10, 2017

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK
Jessica Jones seems to be the most polarizing of the Netflix shows. There's a great deal more general agreement on the quality of either season of Daredevil or Luke Cage's season than on Jessica Jones.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
I LOVED JJ for the memes/tweets about sexism, like how all the dudes were just eye-candy or dudes in distress and only Kilgrave has any agency and lots of typical comic book fans couldn't understand that it was kinda the point, to write a comic book show for women...

But kind of along the same lines as "They couldn't really make their first Asian-American character a Kung-Fu guy", I felt at odds with their landmark lady superhero show being kind of all about rape, either with psychic control used as a metaphor or literally just signaling things like triggers and trauma... it rang tone-deaf to me. Like, wouldn't it have been more empowering if the First Lady superhero show wasn't even about sexuality or control at all? Again I might rewatch it all the way through someday, but that stood out to me in a way that the Blackness of Luce Cage didn't.

I was so ready to prove you wrong about Xavier, but I just dug through many articles and poster above me is right, what I'm remembering is sometimes Charles will literally just mind-jack another mutant with psychkinetic abilities and make them do stuff, or he'll just act as a brain battery for Jean Grey to do whatever she needs to do.

I also learned that not only is he a triple billionaire, but before he became paralyzed, Xavier was apparently a nearly invincible martial artist because he just psychically copy-pastes schools of technique into his mind a' la The Matrix and uses his psychic abilities to track his enemies next move. He would like fly to Turkey, meet a special forces commando, copy Krav Maga, and beat the dude in the same day. In order to beat him in a fight without super strength or speed, you'd need A) a magneto helmet and b) to be better at like 15 styles of fighting than he is.

Comics are so cool

Bust Rodd fucked around with this message at 17:55 on Mar 10, 2017

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006

Gyges posted:

Iron Fist having a weak solo season isn't that surprising, vary rarely does he get to do anything on his own, and as a result there are few really good Iron Fist stories to build a season around.

One would think that sort of thing could be covered for by hiring writers.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

PerniciousKnid posted:

That costs money, and Perlmutter is still in charge of non-movie Marvel.

Heathen
Sep 11, 2001

PerniciousKnid posted:

You would think competent writers could do that, but apparently it's not their fault. Eight is the maximum number of good episodes any show is allowed to have.

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012

Gyges posted:

Jessica Jones seems to be the most polarizing of the Netflix shows. There's a great deal more general agreement on the quality of either season of Daredevil or Luke Cage's season than on Jessica Jones.

The worst sin JJ committed is that it was boring and ran out of steam pretty early. I'm always surprised at how worked up people get about it considering how Scooby Doo it was. (Ruhroh Kilgrave escaped agaaaaiiin!)

PerniciousKnid posted:

I mean apparently they hired The Worst Showrunner so we may be overestimating their competence. It looks more and more like Daredevil season 1 was a fluke.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Daredevil S1 had hands down the best fight choreography anyone had seen on a TV show in years, its supporting cast and main villain were pitch perfect, and it was grounded enough that there felt like real stakes. People you cared about died and suffered, and Matt's catholic guilt at odds with his inner demons was well written and believable.

They ditched the good fight choreo guy for a cheaper guy, the villains in S2 are a joke compared to Kingpin and all of Matt's turmoil is replaced with him just being a selfish dick because "Electra is the only one that understands me" despite his friends basically begging him to let them understand him. 5 well defined crime syndicates made for a believable series of villains, an infinite number of magic ninjas is so over the top that nothing in the show comes close to trying to make it believable and the show suffers hard because of it.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Bust Rodd posted:

Daredevil S1 had hands down the best fight choreography anyone had seen on a TV show in years, its supporting cast and main villain were pitch perfect, and it was grounded enough that there felt like real stakes. People you cared about died and suffered, and Matt's catholic guilt at odds with his inner demons was well written and believable.

They ditched the good fight choreo guy for a cheaper guy, the villains in S2 are a joke compared to Kingpin and all of Matt's turmoil is replaced with him just being a selfish dick because "Electra is the only one that understands me" despite his friends basically begging him to let them understand him. 5 well defined crime syndicates made for a believable series of villains, an infinite number of magic ninjas is so over the top that nothing in the show comes close to trying to make it believable and the show suffers hard because of it.

The show is about a blind vigilante who's extremely gifted in hand-to-hand combat.

notthegoatseguy
Sep 6, 2005

RareAcumen posted:

The show is about a blind vigilante who's extremely gifted in hand-to-hand combat.

But he isn't THAT gifted. He only won against Nobu in Season 1 out of luck. And Nobu is just treated like a bitch in season 2.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
The anchor of every single Super-Hero story has to be "Take this completely impossible thing and ground it into the real world." otherwise you just sit scratching your head at the whole thing. Obviously everything breaks down if you turn the lens onto the central conceit (Radioactive spider bite, WTF is this pseudo-science bullshit? Krypton? That's not even a real mineral!), but the success comes from the fact that Spider-Man or Super-Man are presented as living in real cities with real people where real bad things happen to them.

Daredevil S1 worked, I think, because everything made sense and was consistent around blind-ninja playboy lawyer. I believed that Wilson Fisk had a stranglehold on the city, I believed that Foggy was a brilliant lawyer, I believed Rosario Dawson's compassion for Matt's plight... all of this made the absurdity of Daredevil himself more grounded, more real.

Season 2 doesn't have anything to ground him, so by episode 8 he is completely off in la-la land fighting ninjas in the sewer with his sexy doomsday weapon girlfriend, and his real life, his career and his friends all but completely abandoned for the ridiculous and convoluted plotlines, and because there was no grounding, nothing Matt did made any sense.

ufarn
May 30, 2009
The power rankings in DD are one of the most confusing and arbitrary things.

Apoplexy
Mar 9, 2003

by Shine
I think we can all agree that Owlsley was pretty weak.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Bust Rodd posted:

Season 2 doesn't have anything to ground him

The first four episodes are great. Daredevil vs Punisher is an excellent premise and delivered well with excellent casting, great character chemistry, and solid writing.

Then the ninjas showed up and every once in a while the show remembered that Punisher was around.

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012
Grounding is definitely important and DD season 1 is a case study in how to take crazy and make it work.

DD season 2 is a case study in how to waste a lot money spoiling that.

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

Fear is the glue that holds society together. It's what makes people suppress their worst impulses. Fear is power.

And at the end of fear, oblivion.

Cythereal posted:

The first four episodes are great. Daredevil vs Punisher is an excellent premise and delivered well with excellent casting, great character chemistry, and solid writing.

Then the ninjas showed up and every once in a while the show remembered that Punisher was around.

DD s1: Good clean fun with a few hiccups
DD s2: Jon Bernthal and Vincent D'Onofrio's doomed attempt to save the second half of the season as it flies off the rails
JJ: David Tennant and a bunch of people you don't like behaving stupidly
Luke Cage: So I guess every netflix marvel series is gonna have that "5 episodes too many" problem huh
Iron Fist: Preemptive oh god no.

Xealot
Nov 25, 2002

Showdown in the Galaxy Era.

Cythereal posted:

The prison cellblock fight is awesome; I'm glad they remembered he was around for that. I think that was after the ninjas got in the mix.

Inverse ninja rule definitely ruined the Electra arc. Nobu worked because he was imposing and alone, but suddenly these Hand ninjas that are supposed to be revenant zombie badasses show up, and they necessarily can't pose a singular threat since there are dozens of them. They should've just had a team of 5 or 6, to maintain the sense that they're ridiculously formidable and to make it easier to stage fights that don't look like Power Rangers.

In It For The Tank
Feb 17, 2011

But I've yet to figure out a better way to spend my time.
On a related note, the most annoying thing about the ninjas was that they could hide the sound of their heart beating but not their breath.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS
I really enjoyed Jessica Jones, BUT I'll say that with the caveat that I've always been a big Alias fan so I was pumped the comic none of my friends ever read was getting adapted. Hipster mode was in full effect.

Also, I've said it before and I'll say it again, Defenders can't possibly be as good as the best adaptation of them, Twisted Toyfare Theater.

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

The Luke Cage vs Jessica Jones brawl in JJ was pretty solid though. I enjoyed that more than most of Luke Cage's action sequences. Bring the Ruckus was incredible and a great companion piece to Daredevil's hallway scenes.

But holy poo poo, the final Diamondback vs Luke fight scene is AWFUL. Really, everything with Diamondback feels like it was shuttled from a different, worse show. Particularly liked how there was like five times where the show presented him dead to rights with his enemies finally pinning him down... and then he pulls out Two guns and dives and suddenly he's got Plot Armor.

Every Netflix Marvel show has had pretty huge pacing issues, which is a trademark of Netflix's development cycle across all genres. I'm just shocked that there's no point of view in Iron Fist whatsoever.

Like as much as I had issues with Luke Cage, I totally understand why the showrunner was given a pile of money and told to go nuts. Those early barbershop scenes alone...

Daredevil spliced its traditional "white dude punches things" with Catholic Guilt and a really interesting dosage of class issues. And while JJ is indeed the most polarizing show (great word for it), it felt so totally created by a team that had things to say and wanted to say them OUT LOUD.

Iron Fist just seems to have totally missed the memo. Arrow was pitched as "Batman Begins but for a TV show and with a small budget". And that premise? Worked goddamn well and spawned a whole side universe of batshit crazy stories.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I liked Jessica Jones but admit it's not a fun or 'exciting' show and I can understand a lot of why people dislike it. Luke Cage and DD2, to echo what people said, are good for the first half and then welp. Honestly if they'd just... stick to a single good character arc defined by their strong villain they'd be fine instead of trying to do too much.