Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

EXTREMELY PISSED AT THE DNC
Well poo poo Mozilla just broke Firefox mobile with its newest update. Can't access any site at all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DemonMage
Oct 14, 2004

What happens in the course of duty is up to you...
Works fine here, maybe try reinstalling it or disabling any extensions you may have going (though I'm still using uBlock).

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
Yeah, no problems for me, also with uBlock Origin.

couldcareless
Feb 8, 2009

Spheal used Swagger!
Just give me a web based version of Allo and I won't care. That's all I ask Google.

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

couldcareless posted:

Just give me a web based version of Allo and I won't care. That's all I ask Google.

And also make literally anyone I know use it

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

They can't make a web version because by design it's locked to a single device, lol

azurite
Jul 25, 2010

Strange, isn't it?!

couldcareless posted:

It's in the works.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

They've already previewed a web based Allo, so it's coming (that should eliminate the one device limitation.)

At that point, it should effectively become hangouts v2, but the lift is getting people to switch to it.

Here would be an effective strategy for messaging for Google and they already have all the pieces.

Merge Allo and Messages and make it so the resultant app is required as part of Play Services on new phones and subsequent OS updates.

This new app should have a corresponding web app.

All messages, regardless of source, are synced between devices/web.

Multiple levels of message fallback (native then RCS then SMS/MMS.)

You designate which number is going to be the source of your SMS fallback, and Google routes SMS through the device that currently owns that number no matter where you send from.

That, right there, is something that can be done with what they have today, they just need the will to do it.

spincube
Jan 31, 2006

I spent :10bux: so I could say that I finally figured out what this god damned cube is doing. Get well Lowtax.
Grimey Drawer
I'm hearing you want stickers? Stickers are good. We can do stickers. Everybody likes stickers! Hell, I'll even make them animate, and make funny noises when you touch them, like those banner ads grandma loves so much

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

bull3964 posted:

They've already previewed a web based Allo, so it's coming (that should eliminate the one device limitation.)

At that point, it should effectively become hangouts v2, but the lift is getting people to switch to it.

Here would be an effective strategy for messaging for Google and they already have all the pieces.

Merge Allo and Messages and make it so the resultant app is required as part of Play Services on new phones and subsequent OS updates.

You designate which number is going to be the source of your SMS fallback, and Google routes SMS through the device that currently owns that number no matter where you send from.

That, right there, is something that can be done with what they have today, they just need the will to do it.

So...stickers?

efb

nimper
Jun 19, 2003

livin' in a hopium den

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.

bull3964 posted:

This bothers the poo poo out of me with no context. 98% of my friend chat happens over hangouts. If they want to make stuff like rooms exclusive to business accounts, fine, but I really want more details of what this new "coherent" direction means to non-business users.

No, it's annoying. Basically, you would be paying to be Google's product to advertisers (which is what Gmail users are).

Sereri
Sep 30, 2008

awwwrigami

They should have just loving bought whatsapp and packaged it with the rest instead of thinking "nah this is too expensive, we can do it ourselves for that kind of money" because quite evidently they can't.

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

GIVE ME ALL YOUR FREE AGENTS

ALL OF THEM
Never understood why Google didn't just make some sort of API and force OEM's to bake it into their stock messaging apps.

I guess it's probably because they wanted full control of the environment for ultimate data-mining/selling of poo poo to you.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

http://phandroid.com/2017/03/10/google-hangouts-allo-duo-questions/amp/

So, right now we have confirmation from the horse's mouth that consumer hangouts isn't going anywhere in the near term.

That makes me happy, but it also means that Google has three different hangouts apps now.

nimper
Jun 19, 2003

livin' in a hopium den

bull3964 posted:

http://phandroid.com/2017/03/10/google-hangouts-allo-duo-questions/amp/

So, right now we have confirmation from the horse's mouth that consumer hangouts isn't going anywhere in the near term.

That makes me happy, but it also means that Google has three different hangouts apps now.

Will consumer Hangouts remain A Thing once Allo reaches feature parity with it?

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

nimper posted:

Will consumer Hangouts remain A Thing once Allo reaches feature parity with it?

It won't until they integrate SMS

nimper
Jun 19, 2003

livin' in a hopium den

CLAM DOWN posted:

It won't until they integrate SMS

Yeah, so they just need to do this then:

bull3964 posted:

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
But that's an obvious, sensible plan for messaging that works seamlessly across all platforms. Google's mission is clearly to do anything but that. Invariably due to some combination of "we're more excited to build new things than fix old things" and "this will be better for India or something"

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

A reminder that hangouts has supposed to be getting its sms function removed for ages now

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Skarsnik posted:

A reminder that hangouts has supposed to be getting its sms function removed for ages now

Yeah, I moved my SMSing into Android Messenger in preparation for this.

Ojjeorago
Sep 21, 2008

I had a dream, too. It wasn't pleasant, though ... I dreamt I was a moron...
Gary’s Answer
It doesn't matter because in a year they'll completely shutter Hangouts in favor of another new Google messaging platform no one will use. All of this has happened before and will happen again.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

CLAM DOWN posted:

Yeah, I moved my SMSing into Android Messenger in preparation for this.

I did that and moved back to Hangouts.

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

GIVE ME ALL YOUR FREE AGENTS

ALL OF THEM
Textra is really good.

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

Same, I moved to messenger expecting it to go, then moved back when I got my replacement 5x a few months ago

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Does Hangouts have RCS support?

e: who the gently caress am I kidding, that's literally meaningless and won't matter for another like 5 years

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

chocolateTHUNDER posted:

Textra is really good.

:agreed: I've been using it for a while now with no problems, mainly because I kept having problems with the stock google stuff

Scudworth
Jan 1, 2005

When life gives you lemons, you clone those lemons, and make super lemons.

Dinosaur Gum

pee out my butt posted:

It doesn't matter because in a year they'll completely shutter Hangouts in favor of another new Google messaging platform no one will use.

I still use the original google talk/gchat interface in Gmail and never even switched it to hangouts and this was supposed to be shuttered 3 years ago at least.

I somehow have equal faith in them stopping something as I do for them fixing something. The magic of Google.

Ojjeorago
Sep 21, 2008

Gary’s Answer
I'm just still angry about Wave. Wave was cool.

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

Got the Assistant update on my 5X and it seems cool, but it didn't do the one thing I was hoping: I still have the bug where I can't send a text message from Assistant/OK Google. Goes through the whole process, fails at the end with no explanation beyond "Message not sent".

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004

Is that sloth... dabbing?

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

cage-free egghead posted:

millenials

nimper
Jun 19, 2003

livin' in a hopium den

cage-free egghead posted:

It gets better, though

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

Every day we fall further from God's light

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

nimper posted:

It gets better, though

Better this than a single cohesive messaging app, right Google?

nimper
Jun 19, 2003

livin' in a hopium den

CLAM DOWN posted:

Better this than a single cohesive messaging app, right Google?

If the single cohesive messaging app Google releases in 5 years has these dope stickers then it will all have been worth it.

Ojjeorago
Sep 21, 2008

Gary’s Answer

nimper posted:

It gets better, though

Mods please change my name to Hoagie McMuffins.

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING

vyst posted:

Every day we fall further from God's light

Post/avatar combo.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!
I still need my VOIP calling damnit!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wrist Watch
Apr 19, 2011

What?

I just noticed my phone has google assistant when I hold the home button.

Is this anything besides the usual google now/ok google/ok google now/now on tap rebrand? I noticed I now have to scroll up to get it to the list of what it's scanning like addresses and such and it automatically starts listening for voice commands, I guess.

Also tangentially related, I can't be sure but I want to say that at some point google just straight up broke Trusted Voice on the MXP. I can't use any voice commands when my phone is locked anymore (part of the reason I was complaining about trusted locations in the other thread). Trying to set it up in google now's settings just brings up a toast saying that the microphone is unavailable and that I need to restart my device (which never works).