Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer
I'm on cricket, but I can't seem to send mp4 files in chomp SMS. Anyone have any ideas on why or how it is allowed? They are fairly small, 300k or so.

Edit - Apparently the Messenger app works with the mp4s but the chompsms app I paid for doesn't, which kinda sucks. Ah well.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander fucked around with this message at 14:48 on Mar 9, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SB35
Jul 6, 2007
Move along folks, nothing to see here.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander posted:

I'm on cricket, but I can't seem to send mp4 files in chomp SMS. Anyone have any ideas on why or how it is allowed? They are fairly small, 300k or so.

Edit - Apparently the Messenger app works with the mp4s but the chompsms app I paid for doesn't, which kinda sucks. Ah well.

Maybe they're trying to tell you to stop using MMS

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Never. You'll have to pry my dank memes from my cold, lonely, dead hands.

SB35
Jul 6, 2007

Never. You'll have to pry my dank memes from my cold, lonely, dead hands.

You can send all the memes you want with better chat apps. They even allow mp4s larger than 300k 😮

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Grimey Drawer
What are some of the apps? I genuinely don't know any others. Handcent was a bit hosed up, so I moved to Chomp, and I moved to Messages since Chomp wouldn't send the mms.

I dunno what kind of limit Cricket has on file size, but I'm always open to trying other apps that do better stuff.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

What are some of the apps? I genuinely don't know any others. Handcent was a bit hosed up, so I moved to Chomp, and I moved to Messages since Chomp wouldn't send the mms.

I dunno what kind of limit Cricket has on file size, but I'm always open to trying other apps that do better stuff.

What he's saying is: Don't use MMS, use another protocol.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Well, what are some other apps to use to send that other mystery format of goofy pics to my friends?

The Slack Lagoon
Jun 17, 2008

WhatsApp, Skype, Snapchat?

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

GIVE ME ALL YOUR FREE AGENTS

ALL OF THEM
Me and my friends use facebook messenger. We just kinda fell into it because we're not weirdo tinfoil hat people who don't have facebook profiles and it works really well.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Always thought Skype was a video call thing.

Appreciate the recommendations. Might go for Facebook messenger. Does it eat battery life like the Facebook app does?

I'm literally not trying to troll out anything with regards to this, I honestly have only used mms for pics n poo poo and hearing there's different options is news to me.

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

ALL OF THEM

Always thought Skype was a video call thing.

Appreciate the recommendations. Might go for Facebook messenger. Does it eat battery life like the Facebook app does?

I'm literally not trying to troll out anything with regards to this, I honestly have only used mms for pics n poo poo and hearing there's different options is news to me.

Nah facebook messenger is rock solid. Been using it since 2011.

Syrinxx
Mar 28, 2002

Death is whimsical today

Uh no, it hasn't even been 2 months since the last time Messenger had a bug that tanked battery life. It's a complete shitshow of an app.

http://www.androidcentral.com/facebook-says-new-battery-issues-can-be-fixed-app-reset-no-update-old-battery-issues

If you don't want to use MMS for some weird reason then I guess just see if your friends are on WhatsApp (hint: if they're in the US they aren't)

whatever7
Jul 26, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Apple English speaking friends are on whatsapp; my non English speaking friends are on wechat. I disown people who don't use either.

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

I say salesmen and women of the world unite!

Syrinxx posted:

Uh no, it hasn't even been 2 months since the last time Messenger had a bug that tanked battery life. It's a complete shitshow of an app.

http://www.androidcentral.com/facebook-says-new-battery-issues-can-be-fixed-app-reset-no-update-old-battery-issues

If you don't want to use MMS for some weird reason then I guess just see if your friends are on WhatsApp (hint: if they're in the US they aren't)

Android itself decides to tank the battery seemingly randomly. Should we just quit using it? It's an app that nearly every american with a smartphone has installed, and thus the easiest to use.

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

ALL OF THEM

Vykk.Draygo posted:

Android itself decides to tank the battery seemingly randomly. Should we just quit using it? It's an app that nearly every american with a smartphone has installed, and thus the easiest to use.

Ahaha this was going to be my exact response. Google can't even stop their own play services updates from randomly tanking peoples battery life.

Syrinxx
Mar 28, 2002

Death is whimsical today

Vykk.Draygo posted:

I use FB messenger via Metal for people that just refuse to text but the app is pretty bad. No matter how many phones it's on, it's still on fewer than SMS.

This of course would all be solved if Google could stop making weird lovely messaging apps and just make a 100% clone of iMessage

SB35
Jul 6, 2007

Syrinxx posted:

I use FB messenger via Metal for people that just refuse to text but the app is pretty bad. No matter how many phones it's on, it's still on fewer than SMS.

This of course would all be solved if Google could stop making weird lovely messaging apps and just make a 100% clone of iMessage

You're a weirdo. Facebook messenger is fine.

Pebble and the Penguin
Sep 9, 2010

You're going out there a silly, hysterical, screaming queen, but you're coming back a great, big, passing-for-straight Broadway star!
I'm lookin' to start up a new Ting account and am hoping someone here who uses it can send me a referral link so the both of us can get those sweet, sweet bill credits. Anyone feeling generous? PM me or e-mail me at mrsawickiphd at gmail dot com if so!

E: Someone's got me covered, thanks!

Pebble and the Penguin fucked around with this message at 18:09 on Mar 13, 2017

dphi
Jul 9, 2001
So I've been pretty happy with Ting for the past couple of years. Paying less than $50/month for two lines is pretty sweet. Only thing is, T-Mobile's network sucks for both my wife and I where we work.

Is there any MVNO that offers similar pricing on AT&T's network? We average <2GB, <500 minutes, and typically ~500-600 messages.

Pebble and the Penguin posted:

I'm lookin' to start up a new Ting account and am hoping someone here who uses it can send me a referral link so the both of us can get those sweet, sweet bill credits. Anyone feeling generous? PM me or e-mail me at mrsawickiphd at gmail dot com if so!

Sent you a referral link!

dphi fucked around with this message at 18:15 on Mar 13, 2017

Pebble and the Penguin
Sep 9, 2010

You're going out there a silly, hysterical, screaming queen, but you're coming back a great, big, passing-for-straight Broadway star!

dphi posted:

Thanks, bud!

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

dphi posted:

So I've been pretty happy with Ting for the past couple of years. Paying less than $50/month for two lines is pretty sweet. Only thing is, T-Mobile's network sucks for both my wife and I where we work.

Is there any MVNO that offers similar pricing on AT&T's network? We average <2GB, <500 minutes, and typically ~500-600 messages.

If it's 2gb combined and not each you could go with cricket and it would be 45 if you autopay with the two line discount

dphi
Jul 9, 2001

Blue Train posted:

If it's 2gb combined and not each you could go with cricket and it would be 45 if you autopay with the two line discount

Yeah, 2GB combined. So is that $45/each line then?

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

dphi posted:

Yeah, 2GB combined. So is that $45/each line then?

It's would be 30 per line, minus ten dollar second line discount, minutes five dollars for autopay discount

It would be 1 GB per phone tho not 2gb pooled

The Slack Lagoon
Jun 17, 2008

Afaik you don't get combined line AND autopay.

I have 2x50 cricket plans and it's 90, with autopay on

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

Oh don't you? That's lame

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

The Slack Lagoon posted:

Afaik you don't get combined line AND autopay.

I have 2x50 cricket plans and it's 90, with autopay on

IIRC it works out to the same for the first few lines but you save more with the combo after the third line. I did the math a couple years back when helping my family go from Ting to Cricket back when they were Sprint only. It may have changed slightly since then but more or less it's a wash unless you've got like 5 people.

The Slack Lagoon
Jun 17, 2008

FAUXTON posted:

IIRC it works out to the same for the first few lines but you save more with the combo after the third line. I did the math a couple years back when helping my family go from Ting to Cricket back when they were Sprint only. It may have changed slightly since then but more or less it's a wash unless you've got like 5 people.

Yea it's the same as doing two separate accounts as it is with one account with two lines.

At three phones I think it's 10 off per phone which is better.

1 line 5 off autopay
2 lines 5 off multiline discount
3 lines 10 per line
4 lines 15 off per line
5 lines 20 off per line

With the caveat that the lowest tier may not qualify for multiline discount

SB35
Jul 6, 2007

The Slack Lagoon posted:

Yea it's the same as doing two separate accounts as it is with one account with two lines.

At three phones I think it's 10 off per phone which is better.

1 line 5 off autopay
2 lines 5 off multiline discount
3 lines 10 per line
4 lines 15 off per line
5 lines 20 off per line

With the caveat that the lowest tier may not qualify for multiline discount

Correct, lowest tier $30 plan does not qualify for multi line or Auto pay discount

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

Anyone tried Mint sim?

Looks like you can get 5 gigs of 4g data, Unlimited 2g, Talk/Text for less than the nerd plan, but you have to pay up front. 3 month plan has a deal for like $16/mth, regular price is 35/mth. If you go to prepaying 6 months ahead or more the regular price is actually cheaper than the Nerd plan's $30/mth.

https://www.mintsim.com/plans

Not sure which networks they're using though. I'm currently on T-Mobile's nerd plan, but the 100 minute limit does get annoying from time to time, and the coming closure of hangouts (and possibly it's VOIP calling over the cell network) has me kind of considering other options.

Stick100
Mar 18, 2003

Nitrousoxide posted:

Anyone tried Mint sim?

Looks like you can get 5 gigs of 4g data, Unlimited 2g, Talk/Text for less than the nerd plan, but you have to pay up front. 3 month plan has a deal for like $16/mth, regular price is 35/mth. If you go to prepaying 6 months ahead or more the regular price is actually cheaper than the Nerd plan's $30/mth.

https://www.mintsim.com/plans

Not sure which networks they're using though. I'm currently on T-Mobile's nerd plan, but the 100 minute limit does get annoying from time to time, and the coming closure of hangouts (and possibly it's VOIP calling over the cell network) has me kind of considering other options.

Yes, I got the cheapest plan for $11 a month. Unlim talk, text, and 1gb data used in a dumb phone for calls and texts, has worked great.

They use Tmobile for network so you should have the same service. They have huge deals show up occasionally if you watch on Slickdeals.com. EX: https://slickdeals.net/f/9718788-mi...low-as-14-month EDIT: Code still works, use "SHOPCLEVER" for 25% off.

Gives 12mo at 5gb for GRAND TOTAL $243.20. That's all w sales tax, beats Nerd plan by a large margin.

Note: They had a major data breach recently: https://www.reddit.com/r/NoContract/comments/604utx/psa_mint_simultra_mobile_data_breach/

Stick100 fucked around with this message at 18:38 on Mar 22, 2017

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

Stick100 posted:

Yes, I got the cheapest plan for $11 a month. Unlim talk, text, and 1gb data used in a dumb phone for calls and texts, has worked great.

They use Tmobile for network so you should have the same service. They have huge deals show up occasionally if you watch on Slickdeals.com. EX: https://slickdeals.net/f/9718788-mi...low-as-14-month EDIT: Code still works, use "SHOPCLEVER" for 25% off.

Gives 12mo at 5gb for GRAND TOTAL $243.20. That's all w sales tax, beats Nerd plan by a large margin.

Note: They had a major data breach recently: https://www.reddit.com/r/NoContract/comments/604utx/psa_mint_simultra_mobile_data_breach/

Oh wow, with that discount you can get 10 gigs of 4g data + Unlimted talk/text and throttled internet after for an average just over 27/mth or 5 gigs for around $20.50/mth. Although it will of course go up to their full price after that. I do kind of enjoy getting the bing-on benefits for audio with T-Mobile, but I don't think i've ever actually gone over my 5 gigs even if you count the audio data against my limit.

Also, from what i'm reading their customer service is kind of hot garbage.

Stick100
Mar 18, 2003

Nitrousoxide posted:

I do kind of enjoy getting the bing-on benefits for audio with T-Mobile, but I don't think i've ever actually gone over my 5 gigs even if you count the audio data against my limit.

According to sources I won't look up now nor ever verified, you get Binge On benefits for Audio Services with TMO MVNOs as well. Mint Sim is compelling I wish I got reliable Tmo service at home and work.

whatever7
Jul 26, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Stick100 posted:

Thanks for letting me know. I am going to cancel my credit card just be on the safe side. BTW my wife use it with an Iphone 7. Its signal is kind of worse than my free Sprint/Freedompop signal here in New York, I find it ridiculous.

whatever7 fucked around with this message at 20:52 on Mar 22, 2017

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON
Are they relatively new/likely to stick around? Currently on a grandfathered Harbor Mobile (on T-mobile) plan, 4.5 GB data with unlimited talk/text for $40/month.

Until this my current plan has been hard to beat while staying on T-mobile (they're very good in my area), but their plans almost seem too good to be true. Any catches like low priority or throttling on data speeds?

whatever7
Jul 26, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Geoj posted:

Are they relatively new/likely to stick around? Currently on a grandfathered Harbor Mobile (on T-mobile) plan, 4.5 GB data with unlimited talk/text for $40/month.

Until this my current plan has been hard to beat while staying on T-mobile (they're very good in my area), but their plans almost seem too good to be true. Any catches like low priority or throttling on data speeds?

Ultra Mobile had similar promotion. I was using their "free for first month" sims for 1+ year. It's not that great of a deal anyway.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

whatever7 posted:

Ultra Mobile had similar promotion. I was using their "free for first month" sims for 1+ year. It's not that great of a deal anyway.

Looking into it some more, looks like Mintsim is a brand spinoff of Ultra Mobile

http://www.prepaidphonenews.com/2016/08/ultra-mobile-launches-mint-sim-sub-mvno.html

Kraps
Sep 9, 2011

This avatar was paid for by the Silent Majority.
Any suggestions for a temporary non-tmobile service that I can use in the cell service black hole that is South Fallsburg NY?

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

Cricket coverage map says it's good

some_weird_kid
Mar 16, 2004

My popcorn is cautiously and provisionally RDY
I've been on Total Wireless for a few months, and have been very happy with the cost and coverage. My phone is starting to show its age and so I've purchased a replacement unlocked phone from Amazon that is compatible. How much pain should I expect in activating the new phone on my existing account? My experience with Total Wireless is that the service is great, but the customer support is pretty painful and miserable. I'm sure I can't be so lucky as to simply swap my SIM into the new phone? Is a new device update common enough that I can get it done in less than an hour on the phone with them?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SB35
Jul 6, 2007

some_weird_kid posted:

I've been on Total Wireless for a few months, and have been very happy with the cost and coverage. My phone is starting to show its age and so I've purchased a replacement unlocked phone from Amazon that is compatible. How much pain should I expect in activating the new phone on my existing account? My experience with Total Wireless is that the service is great, but the customer support is pretty painful and miserable. I'm sure I can't be so lucky as to simply swap my SIM into the new phone? Is a new device update common enough that I can get it done in less than an hour on the phone with them?

You have total wireless with a sim and LTE right? Just swap the sim card and restart. You might might have to mess around with APN settings but that info should be easily googled.