Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
rare Magic card l00k
Jan 3, 2011

BrigadierSensible posted:

You can't copywrite an accent, nor mannerisms etc. But you can copywrite a name and a catchphrase.

Yeah, I'm pretty sure weird voice Booker T was because he hated TNA and was just amusing himself until he could get out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xerzes
May 16, 2012

I stopped watching when Prichard's promo was clearly leading to the trump catchphrase.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
Now that they've revealed that the owl is female, how long before it's called a slut and powerbombed through a table?

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Still seems less scummy than the time WWE asked Davey Boy Smith Jr if they could borrow some of his father's gear for the Fan Access at Wrestlemania, then refused to return them because they said they owned the copyright on the gimmick.

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

What are TNAMecca's thoughts on the whole past year of programming they admitted they loved being declared canon trash by the company itself

Tokyo Sexwale
Jul 30, 2003

Chris James 2 posted:

What are TNAMecca's thoughts on the whole past year of programming they admitted they loved being declared canon trash by the company itself

you'll find that turns out they thought it was trash too, all along, op

EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

BrigadierSensible posted:

You can't copywrite an accent, nor mannerisms etc. But you can copywrite a name and a catchphrase.

Right - but in court you can argue that the mannerisms show intent by the performer to use the character

That's why Scott Hall dropped the cuban accent after jumping back to WCW - WWE argued (successfully) that WCW was trying to present Razor Ramon on their television program

DoctorGonzo
Jul 25, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Benne posted:

Instead they bring back all the old hacks who tanked the company the penultimate time

They got rid of Dixie.

Skinty McEdger
Mar 9, 2008

I have NEVER received the respect I deserve as the leader and founder of The Masterflock, the internet's largest and oldest Christopher Masterpiece fan group in all of history, and I DEMAND that changes. From now on, you will respect Skinty McEdger!

EugeneJ posted:

Right - but in court you can argue that the mannerisms show intent by the performer to use the character

That's why Scott Hall dropped the cuban accent after jumping back to WCW - WWE argued (successfully) that WCW was trying to present Razor Ramon on their television program

It's the same reason they couldn't do poo poo about Savage in WCW because he had established the gimmick and mannerisms well before his run in the WWF.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

Chris James 2 posted:

Tato
Jun 19, 2001

DIRECTIVE 236: Promote pro-social values
A TNA fan asking "Do you have nothing better to do with your life"

lmao

Skinty McEdger
Mar 9, 2008

I have NEVER received the respect I deserve as the leader and founder of The Masterflock, the internet's largest and oldest Christopher Masterpiece fan group in all of history, and I DEMAND that changes. From now on, you will respect Skinty McEdger!

Meanwhile ROH got it's PPV pulled from Dish network, seemingly related to the cease and desist letters that TNA sent out.

Tokyo Sexwale
Jul 30, 2003

WCW's ability to draw talent was largely related to the exorbitant contracts it offered, so I don't know how TNA expects to get talent by doing the exact opposite when the only talent they 'developed' has been so continually alienated by them many of them won't come back. I'm starting to suspect they may not be thinking this through

rovert
Jun 10, 2013
Can happily report Reby is at it again.

DoctorGonzo
Jul 25, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Skinty McEdger posted:

Meanwhile ROH got it's PPV pulled from Dish network, seemingly related to the cease and desist letters that TNA sent out.

The IPPV nights wars.

Skinty McEdger
Mar 9, 2008

Once more Reby is completely right.

frankenfreak
Feb 16, 2007

I SCORED 85% ON A QUIZ ABOUT MONDAY NIGHT RAW AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS LOUSY TEXT

#bastionboogerbrigade
TNA is entertaining me more than they have in a long time and I'm not even watching their product.

DoctorGonzo
Jul 25, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Reby was always good.

https://twitter.com/RebyHardy/status/840588110425645057

rovert
Jun 10, 2013
A young female indie worker named MJ Jenkins had to do a 22 hour two day bus ride to get to the tapings: https://twitter.com/RebyHardy/status/840602269859082240

https://twitter.com/TheModern_Myth/status/839929515841314816

They flew ODB and Rebel in.

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

https://twitter.com/MATTHARDYBRAND/status/840440840661041153

Beef Jerky Robot
Sep 20, 2009

"And the DICK?"

It's like tna saw all the people saying they didn't deserve worst promotion in the observer and decided to prove them wrong

dsriggs
May 28, 2012

MONEY FALLS...

...FROM THE SKY...

...WHENEVER HE POSTS!
"So, gentlemen. We just bought TNA from Panda Energy. Now, the name has been dragged through the mud, but I think that if we could instill some goodwill from the fans, we can turn it around! Any ideas?"

"Well..."
https://twitter.com/RebyHardy/status/840595616807976960

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

So, Jeff Jarrett's big plan to revive Impact is Donald Trump references and creating a petty vendetta against the only thing that anyone cared about on TNA for the past five years or so?

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Baron Corbyn posted:

So, Jeff Jarrett's big plan to revive Impact is Donald Trump references and creating a petty vendetta against the only thing that anyone cared about on TNA for the past five years or so?
Ain't he great?

Skinty McEdger
Mar 9, 2008

I mean if your TNA and your big selling point to prospective talent can't be money or job security and thus by necessity must be the promise of exposure, going after talent that leaves the company like this is pretty much about as counter productive as you can get.

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

Skinty McEdger posted:

I mean if your TNA and your big selling point to prospective talent can't be money or job security and thus by necessity must be the promise of exposure, going after talent that leaves the company like this is pretty much about as counter productive as you can get.

Yeah, I mean when WWE pulls poo poo like this, they at least know they have the money and the knowledge that pretty much every English speaking wrestler not named Kenny Omega's ultimate dream is headlining Wrestlemania to attract anyone they want. Who is dumb enough to go to the company that offer poo poo wages, the opportunity to appear on the loving TV guide channel, and a lovely legal battle if you manage to overcome the odds and get yourself over on their programming?

DoctorGonzo
Jul 25, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
TNA March: This is pretty much about as counter productive as you can get. (And gently caress that OWL)

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

Baron Corbyn posted:

Yeah, I mean when WWE pulls poo poo like this, they at least know they have the money and the knowledge that pretty much every English speaking wrestler not named Kenny Omega's ultimate dream is headlining Wrestlemania to attract anyone they want. Who is dumb enough to go to the company that offer poo poo wages, the opportunity to appear on the loving TV guide channel, and a lovely legal battle if you manage to overcome the odds and get yourself over on their programming?

:aronrex:

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010
I should start watching ROH again

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

Gonzo McFee posted:

I should start watching ROH again

ROH is shittier than WWE than using their TV to book towards matches so just watch the bigger cards and save yourself an hour a week.

DoctorGonzo
Jul 25, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

exploded mummy posted:

ROH is shittier than WWE than using their TV to book towards matches so just watch the bigger cards and save yourself an hour a week.

He said ROH not NXT.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

I got my TNA 8x10 brown bag special, they sent me 30 8x10s and 5 of them are of people still at the company.

I am the proud owner of a Jeremy Borash 8x10.

I got a pretty cool Sting 8x10 though.

dsriggs
May 28, 2012

MONEY FALLS...

...FROM THE SKY...

...WHENEVER HE POSTS!

Luigi Thirty posted:

I am the proud owner of a Jeremy Borash 8x10.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FD_X8cBFOyw

rovert
Jun 10, 2013

Skinty McEdger posted:

That's after they give you no backstory and while Josh bickers on commentary. Like what happened to Rachael Ellering and Reno Scum. I know people who are really upset at Ellering's treatment in particular as not only she's a prospect but she's this Molly Holly type nice person.

DoctorGonzo
Jul 25, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

rovert posted:

That's after they give you no backstory and while Josh bickers on commentary. Like what happened to Rachael Ellering and Reno Scum. I know people who are really upset at Ellering's treatment in particular as not only she's a prospect but she's this Molly Holly type nice person.

It she related to Paul?

rovert
Jun 10, 2013

DoctorGonzo posted:

It she related to Paul?

She is.

DoctorGonzo
Jul 25, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Shame. I hope they sign her to the womens championship and then NXT. No one should be on treated bad on loving TNA of all places.

shiksa
Nov 9, 2009

i went to one of these wrestling shows and it was... honestly? frickin boring. i wanna see ricky! i want to see his gold chains and respect for the ftw lifestyle
She's been on NXT a couple times, I'm pretty sure. Jobberino to asuka or something but certainly better than the cluster gently caress of commentary completely drowning out her match on tna

SamuraiFoochs
Jan 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer
The number of people on Cagesideseats defending TNA reminds me why I never post there. loving hell.

Also I pointed out how many former WWE guys go MOSTLY unchanged on the Indies except names and catchphrases and was met with "WWE probably lets a lot of stuff go, they could sue they just don't", etc. And for one, :lol: at the idea of Jerry McDevitt not having a hair trigger. WWE is greedy and possessive as gently caress. And for another, even if you posit that, it means WWE is less dumb and ALMOST never sues about poo poo like that because it wastes time and money and poisons the well. Like, WHY would you defend TNA here?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sono
Apr 9, 2008

People are forgetting that the most important factor in trademark law is "who has more money to spend on lawyers?" and it surely isn't TNA.

• Locked thread