Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

IOwnCalculus posted:

Correct, the early C4 had the Doug Nash 4+3.

As to whether he had seven useful ratios, that's a different story.

Getting seven different gear ratios in sequence out of a 4+3 would require a lot of shifting and pressing the overdrive button at the same time, like some kind of nutty miniaturized version of an 18-speed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
Please tell me there's a YouTube video of that. Daddy needs some stick action.

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal
Correct shifting would be 1 2 3 2od 4 3od 4od.

Ratios 2.88 1.91 1.34 1.30 1.00 0.90. 0.68

Edit: So really 1 2 3 4 4od is the shift pattern but if you want to take advantage of all 174 HP you might squeeze in some extra ratios. Extra horseys in the 84-88. 83s are the best though hard to find.

Elephanthead fucked around with this message at 15:11 on Mar 11, 2017

Q_res
Oct 29, 2005

We're fucking built for this shit!
Because there's one 83, and it's in the Corvette museum.

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal

Q_res posted:

Oh, so I guess it is easy to find. Supposedly Leno reassembled one of the disassembled ones.

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!

Q_res posted:

Oh so the one in the sink hole?

EDIT: Aaaaaand while looking for a relevant photo, I found that there are some people who believe the museum faked the whole sinkhole story.

TotalLossBrain fucked around with this message at 18:21 on Mar 11, 2017

Dagen H
Mar 19, 2009

Hogertrafikomlaggningen

TotalLossBrain posted:

there are some people who believe <entity> faked the whole <event>.

This shouldn't be surprising.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

Wonder why it won't start

DJ Commie
Feb 29, 2004

Stupid drivers always breaking car, Gronk fix car...
In all likelihood it needs the main relay solder joints reflowed, or better just replaced.

Dagen H
Mar 19, 2009

Hogertrafikomlaggningen

quote:

Make an offer but please be serious.

It's a 20-year-old car that has lovely paint and doesn't run. $500 is serious.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
That year also had the ignition switch recall I think. Same thing happened to my CR-V. PO fixed it with a sewing needle bridging two wires :v:

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
The only reason it's interesting is because it's a manual transmission wagon also they seem desperate enough to sell.

Also this person

VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.

Metal Geir Skogul posted:

That year also had the ignition switch recall I think. Same thing happened to my CR-V. PO fixed it with a sewing needle bridging two wires :v:

Previous generation had ignition switch issues, too. But if by "turn over" they mean "I turn the key and the engine makes starty noises" that wouldn't be the problem.

Lightbulb Out
Apr 28, 2006

slack jawed yokel

KakerMix posted:

The only reason it's interesting is because it's a manual transmission wagon also they seem desperate enough to sell.

Also this person

Why would you replace the clutch and not the throw out bearing?

DJ Commie
Feb 29, 2004

Lightbulb Out posted:

Probably replaced just the clutch disk too, and nothing else. I did the opposite on my $1450 Subaru, it only needed a throwout bearing and it got a whole new clutch system so I wouldn't have get in there again.

Lightbulb Out
Apr 28, 2006

slack jawed yokel

DJ Commie posted:

Probably replaced just the clutch disk too, and nothing else. I did the opposite on my $1450 Subaru, it only needed a throwout bearing and it got a whole new clutch system so I wouldn't have get in there again.

That's exactly it. If you're in there, you might as well replace it. It's not fun tearing all that poo poo apart. Makes me think it's indicative of the rest of the car.

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

"Nah, its in good condition, you're just trying to upsell me on poo poo I don't need." - every parts store customer ever.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.

Lightbulb Out posted:

Pretend you are a huge idiot and you bought a car because it had a certain badge on it so you could post a picture of it and have it say 'my new ride'

Aren't these things worth a whole bunch these days?

wow rare as gently caress pair

KakerMix fucked around with this message at 19:16 on Mar 11, 2017

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

I know a genuine panaphonics when i see one.

Ups_rail
Dec 8, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Darchangel posted:

https://dallas.craigslist.org/dal/cto/6024135042.html

the piece of resistance:

I'd just like to point out here that it has a shift boot.

So why would he say the tags dont go with the car?

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

http://www.kijiji.ca/v-classic-cars/red-deer/1966-lincoln-continental-suicide-doors/1245717946?enableSearchNavigationFlag=true

This fuckin guy again.

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

Ups_rail posted:

So why would he say the tags dont go with the car?

He's not talking about the ones that are part of the car, is he? I didn't get why he was mentioning that either.

autism ZX spectrum
Feb 8, 2007

by Lowtax
Fun Shoe

He's not wrong, y'know. For a car that's in Alberta and from '66 it doesn't have a lot of rust when you compare to other cars from Alberta, from '66.

Still garbage.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

There are a lot of 60s cars that aren't see-thru and half bog here.

autism ZX spectrum
Feb 8, 2007

by Lowtax
Fun Shoe
I'm impressed, because that's certainly not the case in Manitoba.

57 Chevy

A sweet Ford

fake edit:

what in Lord's name

"kid sized"

autism ZX spectrum fucked around with this message at 23:21 on Mar 12, 2017

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!

Defiantly worth saving.

"Definitely" is not a hard word. Why do so many people on CL/ads everywhere gently caress it up all the time?

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
Defiantly saving is actually a pretty good description of that car.

VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.
It's a parts car at best, and at maybe half the price. Continentals aren't worth all that much. They barely top 20k in near-perfect shape, with most being well under 10. The people who remember coveting them as kids are mostly directing their car money elsewhere, or dying. Yet they're weird and cool enough that people can't bear to scrap them, so there's no shortage for the weirdos who still want one.

SimonCat
Aug 12, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
College Slice
Will 60s/70s car prices ever come back down or are they here to stay?

I see so many cars for sale for over $5000 that would have been worth $1200, tops, 15 years ago, and almost every old muscle car goes for better than 30 these days.

VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.

SimonCat posted:

Will 60s/70s car prices ever come back down or are they here to stay?

I see so many cars for sale for over $5000 that would have been worth $1200, tops, 15 years ago, and almost every old muscle car goes for better than 30 these days.

What was the trend with pre-war cars when the baby boomer's parents started dying?

Q_res
Oct 29, 2005

We're fucking built for this shit!

VideoTapir posted:

It's a parts car at best, and at maybe half the price. Continentals aren't worth all that much. They barely top 20k in near-perfect shape, with most being well under 10. The people who remember coveting them as kids are mostly directing their car money elsewhere, or dying. Yet they're weird and cool enough that people can't bear to scrap them, so there's no shortage for the weirdos who still want one.

Convertibles can fetch serious coin, but yeah, the rest aren't particularly valuable.

SimonCat
Aug 12, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
College Slice

VideoTapir posted:

What was the trend with pre-war cars when the baby boomer's parents started dying?

A quick glance at Hemmings says I can get a Model T for 10k all day long.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

"classic car" and "collector car" wasn't really a thing back then.

an old car was garbage, a pre-war car moreso. I have a motor trend from 1969 and 30s rolls royces were cheaper than a new 440 mopar. There was far less novelty to owning a car from your childhood when parts couldn't be found and you had to adjust the ignition timing on the dash. cars from the 60s are modern enough to live with and repair without much trouble.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.

Octopus Magic
Dec 19, 2003

I HATE EVERYTHING THAT YOU LIKE* AND I NEED TO BE SURE YOU ALL KNOW THAT EVERY TIME I POST

*unless it's a DSM in which case we cool ^_^

VideoTapir posted:

they would have probably been more had the watchowski trans* not made two sequels to the matrix

The Sicilian
Sep 3, 2006

by Smythe

Octopus Magic posted:

they would have probably been more had the watchowski trans* not made two sequels to the matrix

Did they hit peak collectability when the Entourage crew got one?

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

http://www.kijiji.ca/v-classic-cars...gationFlag=true

I feel like i'm taking crazy pills.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

A little refinishing means different things to different people apparently.

That guy has to be on meth.

DJ Commie
Feb 29, 2004

Applebees Appetizer posted:

That guy has to be on meth.

More likely very recently off meth, hence the sale.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Yeah right, he probably bought it while on meth (just needs paint!!!!) and is desperately trying to get his money back :v: