Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Pan Dulce
Jan 4, 2011

Beautiful cinnamon roll too good for this world, too pure

Today's the 20th anniversary of the Buffy pilot. Taking a look again, the 90s era is obvious, but the language is still quirky and fun. It's good for a rewatch.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Preacher back June 19th

Mr Robot back in "October"

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I really hope Preacher builds more on its positive elements this season (cast, tone) while actually having something resembling forward momentum.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

Pan Dulce posted:

Today's the 20th anniversary of the Buffy pilot. Taking a look again, the 90s era is obvious, but the language is still quirky and fun. It's good for a rewatch.

Buffy is really good.

Edit: I just rewatched it in the last year.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Fox's Star is a pretty decent but not great show, though not something I see being a bit hit around here, but man the music is really good. I still have the song from the end of the last episode stuck in my head two days later.

money worship
Nov 4, 2009
Grimey Drawer

Rocksicles posted:

Imposters 5 episodes is already better than half the shows on TV.

Metropolis
Apr 6, 2006
They should have cast Iron Fist as an Asian guy, because nobody would have gotten mad at all about anything if the only Asian male protagonist in the entire MCU was a mystical kung-fu master

Should have cast an Asian guy as Luke Cage, that way everyone could be angry together

Also Patriot is good like everyone here says, but too depressing for me to binge-watch.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Metropolis posted:

They should have cast Iron Fist as an Asian guy, because nobody would have gotten mad at all about anything if the only Asian male protagonist in the entire MCU was a mystical kung-fu master

To be fair, if they'd cast, say, a Hispanic dude, I think it would have avoided a lot of the critical problems people seem to be having.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

muscles like this! posted:

Mr Robot back in "October"

Is there loving any shows which don't exceed 12 months in-between season's at this point? This is getting ridiculous.

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!
Hoooooooooly poo poo Legion is creepy as all hell. I'm a big 'ole chicken when it comes to scary poo poo, and episode 3 is hard to watch.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
What network/channel/cable/service is Legion on?

Aka where do I have to pay to watch it?

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

Hughmoris posted:

Hoooooooooly poo poo Legion is creepy as all hell. I'm a big 'ole chicken when it comes to scary poo poo, and episode 3 is hard to watch.

Don't worry, it gets much more lighthearted over the next few episodes, almost a comedy! Watch it late at night when you're alone!

Snak posted:

What network/channel/cable/service is Legion on?

Aka where do I have to pay to watch it?

FX. It's available on Hulu too.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Pan Dulce posted:

Sometimes I think about how Buffy season 1, if it hadn't been renewed, would probably be this really beloved cult thing because it's really good, fun, effective and self-contained. The show wasn't a formula yet, and people weren't trying to rip it off left and right. It was pretty drat unique.

Mameluke
Aug 2, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Yeah it's a long time until Mr. Robot returns but Sam Esmail had commented that he likes having long breaks between seasons. While I loved season 2 a lot of people were less hot on it, so giving the crew more time to prepare seems best. Especially if Esmail's doing it all himself again.

Open Source Idiom posted:

To be fair, if they'd cast, say, a Hispanic dude, I think it would have avoided a lot of the critical problems people seem to be having.

It'd still be a lovely show from the sounds of it, but it'd certainly dodge one the biggest criticisms, and contribute to dismantling Marvel's definition of diversity as "black men and white women."

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
I think part of the reason behind the delay is that Esmail's trying to get his version of Metropolis off the ground.

MiddleOne posted:

Is there loving any shows which don't exceed 12 months in-between season's at this point? This is getting ridiculous.

Better than Europe -- they average two years between seasons, sometimes three. (Deutschland 83!)

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
And their seaons are like 4 episodes.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Snak posted:

And their seaons are like 4 episodes.

I feel like you're conflating Sherlock with literally thousands of European shows.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

MiddleOne posted:

I feel like you're conflating Sherlock with literally thousands of European shows.

And also Britain with Europe in large -- European shows tend to have longer gaps, but British ones are usually a bit more reliable. So, something like Fortitude, Spiral, Les Revanants or Spotless, as opposed to Being Human, In The Flesh, No Offence, ect.

Sherlock was also an odd case -- thanks to the availability of the lead actors. People also talk about each season only being three episodes long, but every episode is a double length episode, so it's actually about as long as most British shows usually are.

(Or used to be, anyway. British television seasons are slowly becoming a bit longer, thanks largely to the sea change brought about thanks to Doctor Who and the influence of American television generally. Not that there haven't been longer seasons before, but they've become more common, if not the point of ubiquity. Nowadays, I've noticed far more eight and even ten episode seasons than there used to be.)

Open Source Idiom fucked around with this message at 10:14 on Mar 11, 2017

Mameluke
Aug 2, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Yet mismanagement has reduced Doctor Who from 13+Christmas to 12+Christmas in recent years, while 13 seems to be becoming the new industry standard in American TV. I think more freedom in episode count would be a good thing creatively (especially for Netflix), though probably even less advantageous for advertisers.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Lurdiak posted:

Sometimes I think about how Buffy season 1, if it hadn't been renewed, would probably be this really beloved cult thing because it's really good, fun, effective and self-contained. The show wasn't a formula yet, and people weren't trying to rip it off left and right. It was pretty drat unique.

Wasn't it like a last minute pickup as is? So it was pretty close to being that.

Sometimes I wish it had been. It would have saved us from an entire generation of terrible fans.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
Nah, Firefly fans are way more insufferable than Buffy fans.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Snak posted:

Nah, Firefly fans are way more insufferable than Buffy fans.

That's actually what I was referring to but every time I talk poo poo about Firefly 8000 people jump down my throat.

whowhatwhere
Mar 15, 2010

SHINee's back

Rhyno posted:

Wasn't it like a last minute pickup as is? So it was pretty close to being that.

Sometimes I wish it had been. It would have saved us from an entire generation of terrible fans.

Yeah the marvel movie fandom is kinda terrible.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Most fandom but who cares.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

GreenNight posted:

Most fandom but who cares.

All fandom really.

We're all terrible.

But Browncoats are the goddamned worst.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Sorry, you mean bronies.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

GreenNight posted:

Sorry, you mean bronies.

I don't even want to go down that road again. But at least Bronies have something large to latch onto, Browncoats have 14, 44 minute episodes (and 8 of them are bad) and a poorly filmed movie and that's it.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I remember watching a video of a Joss Whedon Q&A at a big convention held just after Avengers came out and made all the money in the world and came away with the impression that he sort of deserves his terrible fans.

Like, he's a decent television writer and he's done some comics I enjoy, but he came off like a bit of a prat in that. He was talking about that adaptation of Much Ado About Nothing he did around that time (probably still forthcoming then) as if he was the first person who'd ever had the idea of adapting Shakespeare to film or something.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Oh he is 100% a huge prat. But his tv shows gave us the excellent Angel season 5 so I can deal with it for the most part.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
If you're still identifying as a Firefly Fan in the goddamn year two thousand and seventeen then gently caress you.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

precision posted:

If you're still identifying as a Firefly Fan in the goddamn year two thousand and seventeen then gently caress you.

I endorse this statement.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Same, but British TV.

Pan Dulce
Jan 4, 2011

Beautiful cinnamon roll too good for this world, too pure

I think it's because they keep dicking them around about a renewal. Every year at least one of the actors (Fillion does this the most, but so has Glau) or Whedon himself hint it might happen. It's bullshit. Say it's over and pull what everyone seems to be doing and relaunching Hawaii 5.0, Beverly Hills 90210, and upcoming Charmed and Cruel Intentions.

Apparently some tv executives hinted at a Buffy renewal ages ago and got a ton of fan backlash, leading to it being quashed.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

I don't want to see Buffy or Firefly to come back. I'm a huge Angel/Buffy (mostly Angel and early Buffy) fan, and I enjoyed Firefly. At this point though, any relaunch of either series really can't go anywhere but down, and won't live up to the expectations anyone has. The X-Files revival was mostly trash (with the amazing Were-Human episode). I can't really think of any show that was brought back after 5+ years that was great (I guess Arrested Development was pretty good).

I'm not talking about complete restarts like Battlestar Galactica or V (snicker)

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
Agreed.

Edit: to be pedantic: were-human does not make sense. The 'were' part of the word already means human.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006

Keeping an open mind about Twin Peaks.

Also MST3K will probably be as great as the original.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

GreenNight posted:

Also MST3K will probably be as great as the original.

But even that is more of a reimagining than a revival. Sure it's got Crow and Tom Servo, but it's not like a series that's picking back up.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

Snak posted:

Agreed.

Edit: to be pedantic: were-human does not make sense. The 'were' part of the word already means human.

The actual name of the episode is "Mulder & Scully Meet the Were-Monster", so the title is not only correct but really clever.

Also, Guy Mann being dressed in the exact same outfit as Kolchak the Night Stalker the entire time. Such a fantastic episode.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
The X-Files revival was literally worth it just for that episode alone. Though honestly I liked all of it, at least a bit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

Guy Mann posted:

The actual name of the episode is "Mulder & Scully Meet the Were-Monster", so the title is not only correct but really clever.

Also, Guy Mann being dressed in the exact same outfit as Kolchak the Night Stalker the entire time. Such a fantastic episode.

I know, it's great.

Wasn't the episode original written for the Kolchak reboot?

• Locked thread