Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Biscuit Joiner
May 18, 2008

CharlesM posted:

Wow!! Armor All dash cam!! The brand I think of when I think of dash cams.

I'm picturing this being in the vending machine at the car wash. Right between the tiny $6 bottle of Armor All and the tree shaped air freshener. Where did I leave my 120 quarters?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lime Tonics
Nov 7, 2015

by FactsAreUseless
How to get fired in one neat trick,

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UE2Q_2ybZbs&feature=youtu.be&t=48s

NoWake
Dec 28, 2008

College Slice
Came up on some Comcast guys doing work this morning, and holy poo poo their traffic protection sucks.

"Let's shove traffic into the oncoming lane right before a blind crest on a 55mph road, no sign man lol that's what the cones are for."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xfrnoIJhrMk

Scruff McGruff
Feb 13, 2007

Jesus, kid, you're almost a detective. All you need now is a gun, a gut, and three ex-wives.

NoWake posted:

Came up on some Comcast guys doing work this morning, and holy poo poo their traffic protection sucks.

"Let's shove traffic into the oncoming lane right before a blind crest on a 55mph road, no sign man lol that's what the cones are for."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xfrnoIJhrMk

I think it's been mentioned before but basically this poo poo is on Comcast and not the guys in the field. The cone setup policy guides are pretty specific and limited in how the cones should be set up and do not take anything like this into account and usually any attempt to actually account for these types of conditions will put the workers outside of policy which means they could legit get fired/sued for trying to make it safer. I have a buddy that used to be a Comcast field tech and holy poo poo the horror stories of their policies are immeasurable. He eventually moved to DirecTV and loved it, then they got bought by AT&T and it's back to the same poo poo he saw at Comcast.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
"do ya think y'all need more cones?!"

n0tqu1tesane
May 7, 2003

She was rubbing her ass all over my hands. They don't just do that for everyone.
Grimey Drawer

Scruff McGruff posted:

AT&T and it's back to the same poo poo he saw at Comcast.

Around here you see AT&T vans/trucks with cones put in front of and behind them, even when they're in a marked parking spot in a parking lot. Always seemed like kind of a stupid policy.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

n0tqu1tesane posted:

Around here you see AT&T vans/trucks with cones put in front of and behind them, even when they're in a marked parking spot in a parking lot. Always seemed like kind of a stupid policy.

It forces the driver to walk to both ends of the vehicle before moving from the spot so that they can spot any babies or homeless people sleeping behind/in front of them and in theory not run over them.

RaffyTaffy
Oct 15, 2008
Those techs are blessed to have such a high number of cones.

`Nemesis
Dec 30, 2000

railroad graffiti
Periodic reminder to verify your dashcam is actually recording...

Tried to get video from my original mobius today and found it hadn't been recording for awhile even though the LED lights said it was, seems to have been a memory card that went bad.

Some rear end in a top hat in a Prius tried to make a u-turn from the right turn lane at an intersection, crossing in front of me. I barely stopped in time and then he cut hard right and booked it out of there. I fully believe that if I had hit him he would of ran just the same.

gently caress I wish these things worked properly when it counted.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
I reformat every month or so just in case

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
So far so good with my A118-C. Haven't checked the rear one's card yet, but I double check that the screen is at least showing realtime video every time I start the car.

Enjoy, the dumbasses I shared the road with over the last few weeks!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KTkHJQSfbFs

(still uploading, may not work for a few minutes)

Beach Bum
Jan 13, 2010

kastein posted:

So far so good with my A118-C. Haven't checked the rear one's card yet, but I double check that the screen is at least showing realtime video every time I start the car.

(still uploading, may not work for a few minutes)

I clicked this without looking at the username. The profanity clued me in, but I didn't really know it was you until you hopped the sidewalk :classiclol:

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
I ain't waiting around on a mostly empty street with no peds present for some inconsiderate dickheads to finish their middle of the road chat :v:

Seriously, I have no idea why people feel they should do that when roads are for driving on and there are people waiting behind them. I see it every couple of weeks, usually where there is no way around. Beeping the horn gets some glaring and they clearly think it's not their fault.

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

kastein posted:

I ain't waiting around on a mostly empty street with no peds present for some inconsiderate dickheads to finish their middle of the road chat :v:

Seriously, I have no idea why people feel they should do that when roads are for driving on and there are people waiting behind them. I see it every couple of weeks, usually where there is no way around. Beeping the horn gets some glaring and they clearly think it's not their fault.
I'm 100% with you on this - pull the gently caress over and talk.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Around here (bay area) not one of those short clips showed anything I don't see so frequently as to consider it totally unremarkable :shrug:

litany of gulps
Jun 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

kastein posted:

Possibly unrelated - but after viewing this, YouTube wanted to show me a Don Frye MMA fight.

buttcrackmenace
Nov 14, 2007

see its right there in the manual where it says
Grimey Drawer

kastein posted:

this, a thousand times this

the taxi drivers here are notorious for pulling this poo poo

as luck would have it the horn on my daily-driver is loud and grating enough that it is impossible to talk over. A short beep gets a jump and a look, leaning on it either ends the conversation or they pull off, presumably saying "that guys an rear end in a top hat" but idgaf because they're out of the way

tuna
Jul 17, 2003

Happened to me the other week: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sd2wgsSOU_g

I'm a foot below and 2ft left of the camera position, so I didn't see this idiot cab until I'd cleared that last car in the queue.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

tuna posted:

Happened to me the other week: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sd2wgsSOU_g

I'm a foot below and 2ft left of the camera position, so I didn't see this idiot cab until I'd cleared that last car in the queue.

Niice.. If you are going to block the lane like that, at least loving commit and finish the move!

MrOnBicycle
Jan 18, 2008
Wait wat?
Cameras like the BlackVue DR650S-2CH has parking mode, but I'm having trouble finding an accurate source regarding if it's possible to not record except if it's detecting impact or movement. Dashcams have become legal now, but having a camera running while parked counts as surveilence and needs a permit. I feel like having the camera take a short video if someone dings the car is "grey zone" but I'd still probably have it do it.
Anyone in the know?

18 Character Limit
Apr 6, 2007

Screw you, Abed;
I can fix this!
Nap Ghost

MrOnBicycle posted:

Cameras like the BlackVue DR650S-2CH has parking mode, but I'm having trouble finding an accurate source regarding if it's possible to not record except if it's detecting impact or movement. Dashcams have become legal now, but having a camera running while parked counts as surveilence and needs a permit. I feel like having the camera take a short video if someone dings the car is "grey zone" but I'd still probably have it do it.
Anyone in the know?

A lawyer licensed to practice in your state?

That is ultimately what you'd use that kind of recording for. And for it to be worthwhile, you would need to be recording before the impact even if it's a continuously overwritten buffer of so many seconds.

MrOnBicycle
Jan 18, 2008
Wait wat?

18 Character Limit posted:

A lawyer licensed to practice in your state?

That is ultimately what you'd use that kind of recording for. And for it to be worthwhile, you would need to be recording before the impact even if it's a continuously overwritten buffer of so many seconds.

Aside from the legalities. I was thinking that usually when people ding you, they drive off and will be seen on the seconds of footage. But yeah you are right, then there won't be any real proof anyway so I guess it's useless.

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far.

Grimey Drawer

n0tqu1tesane posted:

Recovering ATT employee here, the rule is that you DON'T have to put cones at each end of your vehicle in two and only two scenarios. 1) Parking on company property and 2) parking at a gas pump. Whenever I would hit up a quikstop to take a leak I would always leave my van at a pump just so I didn't have to get my cones out.

Crossposting from the Schadenfreude thread, this isn't exactly dashcam footage but it's kinda close. Starts off a little slow but gets good quick.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m2X2K3bUyNo

`Nemesis posted:

Periodic reminder to verify your dashcam is actually recording...

gently caress I wish these things worked properly when it counted.

This is one reason I like having a cam with a screen on the back, not only can I see if the whole device is locked up but I can check that the little red Record symbol is indeed on.

`Nemesis
Dec 30, 2000

railroad graffiti

Takes No Damage posted:

Recovering ATT employee here, the rule is that you DON'T have to put cones at each end of your vehicle in two and only two scenarios. 1) Parking on company property and 2) parking at a gas pump. Whenever I would hit up a quikstop to take a leak I would always leave my van at a pump just so I didn't have to get my cones out.

Crossposting from the Schadenfreude thread, this isn't exactly dashcam footage but it's kinda close. Starts off a little slow but gets good quick.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m2X2K3bUyNo

This is one reason I like having a cam with a screen on the back, not only can I see if the whole device is locked up but I can check that the little red Record symbol is indeed on.

Don't trust it, my old G1W would say it is recording when it wasn't. Same thing with an LCD screen and the recording indicator.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

That seems like one of those cases where the "right turn only" sign is a band-aid on the real problem, which is an intersection designed to encourage people to break the rule.

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD
or people could just read the goddamn sign

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Yeah I'm not suggesting people should break the rules just because it's possible to do so.

But good intersection design naturally pipes cars into the directions they're supposed to go, rather than presenting a big obvious seemingly-safe-ish option and then prohibiting that option with a sign.

You could for example place something called a "channelizing island" on the approaching leg of the road we see center-top in most of the video to funnel drivers into their (legally only) option of turning right:

http://www.ladpw.org/traffic/ntmp/tools_forced-turn-islands.cfm

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far.

Grimey Drawer
So the city's choices are to spend 10x as much pouring a fancy concrete car trough, or throw up a token traffic sign and start generating endless citation cash? :homebrew:

I've made my share of illegal U-turns and the like, but never in heavy traffic during rush hour as this seemed to be. Hell leaving my job at night I used to turn left on a long red light almost every day, after checking that there was no visible traffic in either direction.

FBS
Apr 27, 2015

The real fun of living wisely is that you get to be smug about it.

My work buddy's wife collided with an idiot Harley rider who is now falsely claiming it's actually her fault and I'm finally considering a dashcam.

What can I get for ~$50 that's simple to install and simple to operate? I don't even care about special features or even audio I just want something I can use every day. '14 Mazda 3 if it matters.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?
I bought an Aukey on sale for about that. I'm pretty sure it's still working. If you want reliability, expect to spend 2x that or more.

NoWake
Dec 28, 2008

College Slice
MGS reported having some problems with these, but I've been running mine for 6 months. Video is crap quality compared to a camera 3x the price, you can grab a plate number from 15 feet away but not much further.

$36.99 + free shipping + free 32gb card. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01CSOD7VO/

Only hangups I've had is where they haven't kicked on at startup below 10°F

Scruff McGruff
Feb 13, 2007

Jesus, kid, you're almost a detective. All you need now is a gun, a gut, and three ex-wives.

FBS posted:

My work buddy's wife collided with an idiot Harley rider who is now falsely claiming it's actually her fault and I'm finally considering a dashcam.

What can I get for ~$50 that's simple to install and simple to operate? I don't even care about special features or even audio I just want something I can use every day. '14 Mazda 3 if it matters.

Blueskysea has G1Ws with capacitors for $50 on amazon right now. I put one in my wife's car and it's been working fine for about a year and a half.

jeff8472
Dec 28, 2000

He died from watch-in-ass disease
Finally got something (barely) worth sharing since getting my dashcam at chritmas

https://youtu.be/uPteUudfcgQ

FBS
Apr 27, 2015

The real fun of living wisely is that you get to be smug about it.

Scruff McGruff posted:

Blueskysea has G1Ws with capacitors for $50 on amazon right now. I put one in my wife's car and it's been working fine for about a year and a half.

I'm gonna give this one a try. Thanks for the input, everybody.

ltr
Oct 29, 2004

After a couple years of no dash cam. I've finally reinstalled my Mobius in my Mini, but am looking wondering about other options out there for my wife's new car. Anyone running a cam on a 2016/17 Honda Fit? I like the Mobius I have and am not opposed to getting another, just have not done much in a few years so don't know what's out there.

`Nemesis
Dec 30, 2000

railroad graffiti
Everyone seems big on the A119c these days.

The original mobius is pretty old though still good, there's a mobius 2 now but Techmoan doesn't recommend it yet.. had firmware issues that are supposedly resolved now but I'd wait on it.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
I just bought another a-118C. Is the double price difference of the 119 worth it?

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."
Uhm, somehow may g1w is turning 3 in like 2-3 weeks. Battery to boot.
And yes, I've pulled footage recently, so it actually is working.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

I hope my cam lasts because I've just epoxied the mount to the windshield. The double sided tape, even the 3m extreme, can't handle the heat.

Note: don't be a dumbass like me, make sure you're getting the 1 minute epoxy otherwise you'll be holding the mount up for almost 10 minutes getting it to set.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PenisMonkey
Apr 30, 2004

Be gentally.
I use suction cups. Sure, they fall off every four months but meh.