Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

jaegerx
Sep 10, 2012

Maybe this post will get me on your ignore list!

Never hire goons

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

aaronp posted:

I broke my multi-year lurking status recently to post a job in the Job Fair thread and really hoping to find someone to join me on the IT team here. Check out the listing and feel free to message me..I'd love to find someone who wants to live the startup life and help me build out this team!

Sorry if this seems like an advertisement post! It's not! I read the IT and the ticket thread daily :P

Startup life sounds great but I think I'll go shove this broken broom handle up my rear end instead.

kensei
Dec 27, 2007

He has come home, where he belongs. The Ancient Mariner returns to lead his first team to glory, forever and ever. Amen!

DigitalMocking posted:

Don't hire friends.

Don't refer friends.

:(

DigitalMocking
Jun 8, 2010

Wine is constant proof that God loves us and loves to see us happy.
Benjamin Franklin

You're the exception to the rule.

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.

jaegerx posted:

Never hire goons
Broke this rule last year and it worked out pretty drat well for us.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

jaegerx posted:

Never hire goons

i'd hire u bby

jaegerx
Sep 10, 2012

Nuclearmonkee posted:

Startup life sounds great but I think I'll go shove this broken broom handle up my rear end instead.

Startup life is pretty sweet. Free poo poo. Lots of equity in case you make it big. Trips everywhere promoting your product. Giving talks at conferences if only to promote yourself. It's pretty cool. Salaries are especially high since they have to steal you from other established companies or startups. Plus did I mention the free food?

kensei
Dec 27, 2007

He has come home, where he belongs. The Ancient Mariner returns to lead his first team to glory, forever and ever. Amen!

DigitalMocking posted:

You're the exception to the rule.

:unsmith:

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

jaegerx posted:

Plus did I mention the free food?

I assumed that was a prelude to the free poo poo?

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

I referred a friend to work for my mom and it has worked out fantastically. 1-1 on the friend referrals. Don't have lovely friends

Wrath of the Bitch King
May 11, 2005

Research confirms that black is a color like silver is a color, and that beyond black is clarity.

DigitalMocking posted:

Don't hire friends.

Don't refer friends.

Unless you've worked with them in the past and you know firsthand that they aren't worthless.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Wrath of the Bitch King posted:

Unless you've worked with them in the past and you know firsthand that they aren't worthless.

Yeah, this is the key point I think.

I like my friends (obviously). They all currently have pretty decent jobs. I think they are fairly intelligent people.

That said, I have no idea how they conduct themselves at work and how good of a job they really do because I don't interact with them in that context.

Wrath of the Bitch King
May 11, 2005

Research confirms that black is a color like silver is a color, and that beyond black is clarity.

bull3964 posted:

Yeah, this is the key point I think.

I like my friends (obviously). They all currently have pretty decent jobs. I think they are fairly intelligent people.

That said, I have no idea how they conduct themselves at work and how good of a job they really do because I don't interact with them in that context.

It's a great way to sour a friendship.

Two things do it in a hurry: employment and money.

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

Wrath of the Bitch King posted:

It's a great way to sour a friendship.

Two things do it in a hurry: employment and money.

Try renting out to friends too. Not doing that again.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Does anybody know what happens to G Suite (Google Apps) accounts if you set up third-party SSO (using something like ADFS/Azure as the IdP, not using G Suite's IdP service)? Is it just the authentication that is handed off to the third party provider (presumably you lose Google's 2FA which makes sense), but apps that use Google accounts still work? Or would the apps that currently use Google login need to be reconfigured to talk SAML directly? Google's documentation on this is pretty poor, and support just miss the point and say they don't help with configuring 3rd party IdP.

hihifellow
Jun 17, 2005

seriously where the fuck did this genre come from
Many of my friends are former coworkers so I know they're good to work with and would love to work with them again :shrug:

jaegerx
Sep 10, 2012

Neddy Seagoon posted:

I assumed that was a prelude to the free poo poo?

Nope free poo poo means laptops. Monitors. They throw them at you to make you happy. Food is a guarantee.

E: hell I don't remember the last time I actually paid for healthcare. I'm basically Canadian at this point except I have no state income tax.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

jaegerx posted:

Nope free poo poo means laptops. Monitors. They throw them at you to make you happy. Food is a guarantee.

E: hell I don't remember the last time I actually paid for healthcare. I'm basically Canadian at this point except I have no state income tax.

Read it again, try thinking a shade less abstractly about it :v:.

Roargasm
Oct 21, 2010

Hate to sound sleazy
But tease me
I don't want it if it's that easy

Wibla posted:

Try renting out to friends too. Not doing that again.

Someone who posts in this thread gave free housing to a goon in need, he left the place filled with garbage and egg shells

aaronp
Jul 7, 2002

Thanks Ants posted:

Does anybody know what happens to G Suite (Google Apps) accounts if you set up third-party SSO (using something like ADFS/Azure as the IdP, not using G Suite's IdP service)? Is it just the authentication that is handed off to the third party provider (presumably you lose Google's 2FA which makes sense), but apps that use Google accounts still work? Or would the apps that currently use Google login need to be reconfigured to talk SAML directly? Google's documentation on this is pretty poor, and support just miss the point and say they don't help with configuring 3rd party IdP.

I have this configured at our work - authentication is just handed off to the third party. They automatically disable 2 factor for everyone (since your new SSO provider will probably have that). Super Admins will still log in to Google with their Google credentials in case something goes wrong with SAML.

MC Fruit Stripe
Nov 26, 2002

around and around we go
I've taken to recording conference calls and presentations which I think are particularly important. Maybe 3 a week. I like the idea of going back to reference something, and since a Webex isn't exactly a fast moving video, it's a completely negligible use of HDD space.

I recorded a one hour call today. Except no I did not, I accidentally streamed it to Twitch. I hope no one watched that!

Oops.

(Have since removed my twitch key from OBS so it can't happen again)

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.
Recruiter got back to me today and said the company I interviewed with is passing on me :smith:.

Now I'm at stuck getting paged in the middle of the night for scanners and driving in on the weekend just to hand people mice :tif:

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Just apply for some more stuff. Aim for an application a day, don't settle for a poo poo job.

SEKCobra
Feb 28, 2011

Hi
:saddowns: Don't look at my site :saddowns:

skooma512 posted:

Recruiter got back to me today and said the company I interviewed with is passing on me :smith:.

Now I'm at stuck getting paged in the middle of the night for scanners and driving in on the weekend just to hand people mice :tif:

Until you apply to another place.

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

dude, you gotta end it on the rhyme

MC Fruit Stripe posted:

I've taken to recording conference calls and presentations which I think are particularly important. Maybe 3 a week. I like the idea of going back to reference something, and since a Webex isn't exactly a fast moving video, it's a completely negligible use of HDD space.

I recorded a one hour call today. Except no I did not, I accidentally streamed it to Twitch. I hope no one watched that!

Oops.

Hope everyone on the call is in a one party consent state!

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

MC Fruit Stripe posted:

Oops.

Haha holy poo poo how are you still employed there

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin
I like to imagine some bored person was watching, thinking "This game is really boring, he ought to do a Speedrun next time."

Fellatio del Toro
Mar 21, 2009

Twitch Plays Sysadmin

Methanar
Sep 26, 2013

by the sex ghost

MC Fruit Stripe posted:

Oops.

Oh man.

You were dogpiled pretty hard too about this being a bad idea last time you brought it up.

Fellatio del Toro posted:

Twitch Plays Sysadmin

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin
I've been wanting to do a let's play of VMware, but play it as if I think it's some sort of super grognardy simulation of some kind.

"So, your basic armies are these VM thingies, I don't have the manual, but I'm pretty sure the M stands for Monster. You've got to set up all their equipment, and there's all sorts of options for formations and customization. There's even a romance system, as you can see, there's affinity relationships between these two, and this one has an anti-affinity. It doesn't look like there's any gender identifiers which is pretty cool and progressive."

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

MC Fruit Stripe posted:

Oops.

Twitch is usually pretty zealous about enforcing their video games only policy, you should be lucky you still have a Twitch account

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.

anthonypants posted:

Twitch is usually pretty zealous about enforcing their video games only policy, you should be lucky you still have a Twitch account
Yeah, should've streamed the browser tab into a Rabbit live room instead

Fellatio del Toro posted:

Twitch Plays Sysadmin
An actual thing

Vulture Culture fucked around with this message at 00:22 on Mar 14, 2017

Methanar
Sep 26, 2013

by the sex ghost

Dr. Arbitrary posted:

I've been wanting to do a let's play of VMware, but play it as if I think it's some sort of super grognardy simulation of some kind.

"So, your basic armies are these VM thingies, I don't have the manual, but I'm pretty sure the M stands for Monster. You've got to set up all their equipment, and there's all sorts of options for formations and customization. There's even a romance system, as you can see, there's affinity relationships between these two, and this one has an anti-affinity. It doesn't look like there's any gender identifiers which is pretty cool and progressive."

Don't forget that linked clones are OP. Full VM, but only a tiny amount of disk mana is required.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

PCjr sidecar posted:

Hope everyone on the call is in a one party consent state!

Claim memory problems (totally not related to the heavy drinking being in IT), request permission to record your meetings as reasonable accommodations. Done. When I was in school that was a really common accommodation.

Thom and the Heads
Oct 27, 2010

Farscape is actually pretty cool.
Press 1 for lazy
Press 2 for eager

MC Fruit Stripe
Nov 26, 2002

around and around we go

Methanar posted:

Oh man.

You were dogpiled pretty hard too about this being a bad idea last time you brought it up.
Was I? Don't remember that and don't remember asking for opinions, but I suppose posting on the internet implies "tell me what you think".

Bunni-kat
May 25, 2010

Service Desk B-b-bunny...
How can-ca-caaaaan I
help-p-p-p you?

MC Fruit Stripe posted:

Was I? Don't remember that and don't remember asking for opinions, but I suppose posting on the internet implies "tell me what you think".

Nah, people just did the standard "watch out for recording laws" thing. Far from a dogpile

Thom and the Heads
Oct 27, 2010

Farscape is actually pretty cool.

Avenging_Mikon posted:

Nah, people just did the standard "watch out for recording laws" thing. Far from a dogpile

it was like 2 people lmao what thread is that guy reading. i thought it was kinda nifty and it reminded me to pay more attention to my notes in meetings

Methanar
Sep 26, 2013

by the sex ghost
Sorry, it looks like it wasn't actually a dogpile. I'm just delusional.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MC Fruit Stripe
Nov 26, 2002

around and around we go

Thom and the Heads posted:

it was like 2 people lmao what thread is that guy reading. i thought it was kinda nifty and it reminded me to pay more attention to my notes in meetings
Only last night I sat down with Evernote and figured out a few use cases specific to what I was trying to accomplish, and I think a daily diary of sorts is coming up soon for me. The full text search is incredible and it's a great way to handle notes from conference calls, tasks, requests, "how did I fix that anyway?" notes, etc. This'll probably be where I go, instead of continuing to record and stream calls.