Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ModeWondershot
Dec 30, 2014

Portu-geezer
Here is my test OP for my first VLP, with a bit of a gimmick. Please let me know if you see anything that I can improve upon for next time, or advice as to how I should go about the player recruitment/recording of the video or audio.

Only the LP bomb squad can save me now. Let's Play Keep Talking and Nobody Explodes

A bomb is made to explode. That's its meaning. Its purpose.

You have just woken up in a dark room. The fluorescent lights click on with a pop, and on the table in front of you, a large metallic crate has just started beeping as the bright red countdown timer on its front starts ticking away. To your horror, and possibly excitement, you have been locked in this room with a bomb. However, you have just enough time to disarm it, and with the help of someone from the bomb squad on the other end of the intercom, you should be able to get out of this situation safely, provided everyone remains calm and gives good instructions...

Oh my God, JC, a bomb!

Keep Talking and Nobody Explodes is a 2015 game released by Ottawa-based Steel Crate Games, in which a defuser and a team of experts must work together in order to disable a bomb. The bomb is constructed out of several modules, which are essentially mini-puzzles that need to be solved in order to defuse the bomb. However, the content of those modules dos not give the defuser enough information to determine how to solve them. They will need the guidance of experts armed with the Bomb Defusal Manual available at Steel Crate's website in order to complete the individual modules. However, as the experts cannot see the bomb, they will need the defuser to communicate information about it to them so that the right instructions can be found and executed. Essentially, the game is a timed puzzle game that relies on both parties communicating information about the subject bomb to each other in a way that is clear and concise, with the caveat that making mistakes will make the timer tick faster...

Some days, you just can't get rid of a bomb.

What I am hoping to do with this LP is invite potential bomb disposal experts to join me in trying to disarm the bombs available in the game's standard mission mode, and potentially have some fun in the Free Play mode and look at some alternative ways of playing the game within its community, such as with mods or certain Challenge runs. Since experts do not require a copy of the game to have access to the manual, this invitation extends to everyone interested in giving it a try, regardless of whether or not you have prior experience. As the game's difficulty curve starts fairly easy and then escalates, I would like to invite anyone interested in playing to get in touch with me via PM, email at modewondershot@gmail.com or the Saltcastle Discord wondershot#9754 if you are interested in playing, and I will try to get everyone keen on participating in on at least one bomb. Ideally, I will start the LP working with people relatively unfamiliar with the game, and work up to more experienced bomb disposal experts for the later, more difficult stages.

How much time is left? I'd rather not say.

VIDEO

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zenithe
Feb 25, 2013

Ask not to whom the Anidavatar belongs; it belongs to thee.
I would watch the poo poo out of that :allears:

If you haven't had to do audio editing before, I would recommend doing a trial run with a co commentator, even if it's just for a few minutes of gameplay so you can get a bit of practice in that regard.

Teledahn
May 14, 2009

What is that bear doing there?

Given the invite link in the OP is expired or has been discontinued or similar, how does one join the discord server?

Clearly I am displaying my incredible familiarity with the software.

senrath
Nov 4, 2009

Look Professor, a destruct switch!

I'm not part of it, but due to some event or another (I'm assuming harassment of some kind) they had to make the discord private. Not sure who you'd need to poke to get an invite, though.

LogicalFallacy
Nov 16, 2015

Wrecking hell's shit since 1993

Another website that I can't recall at the moment was doxxing some SA posters and that's why it went private. JamieTheD is the one you want to poke about getting in.

ModeWondershot
Dec 30, 2014

Portu-geezer

Zenithe posted:

I would watch the poo poo out of that :allears:

If you haven't had to do audio editing before, I would recommend doing a trial run with a co commentator, even if it's just for a few minutes of gameplay so you can get a bit of practice in that regard.

Thank you for the advice and enthusiasm! I did get a couple of tips based on some co-commentary I did for another VLP, but I will do a little audio quality testing before going through with a longer recording.

I'm hoping to put the OP in place Monday afternoon, so if there is anything else I should know or I really need to improve beforehand, please let me know!

e: the thread is now up. Thanks again for the help!

ModeWondershot fucked around with this message at 21:09 on Mar 6, 2017

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.
The discord has been off lockdown for a while now. I replaced the link in the OP with one that actually works.

ricdesi
Mar 18, 2014

Does it really need saying?
Assuming it's acceptable to post Breath of the Wild content into the forum, I was thinking of going with something like this for our thread's OP:

The Legend has awoken

Holy poo poo, it's finally here. The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild has seen the light of day, after two years of delays, landing on our Nintendo Switch, while waving goodbye to the Wii U (just like Twilight Princess did with the Wii and the GameCube a decade ago). We couldn't be more jacked up for this -- back in the day, our channel used to focus almost exclusively on the Zelda franchise in an experiment we called The Legendary Let's Play. Our goal? To play every main-series Zelda release, start to finish. After 16 months and 550 videos, we completed our goal, and The Legendary Let's Play slept again forever...

...until today.

The gang's all here, and we're gonna be taking on Breath of the Wild and seeing everything it has to offer. Every weekday, we will be spending another 15(ish) minutes exploring the abandoned land of Hyrule (well, mostly abandoned), in search of answers, villagers, and a way to defeat the Calamity Ganon. Our only request while we move through this series is to please not spoil anything we have yet to cover. This game is absolutely gargantuan, and we intend to inspect every inch of the place, but we want to take it at our own pace and really soak in the environment.

This also happens to be the 200th video game we've played on our channel, and it begins with the 3100th Let's Play video we've produced in our nearly six years on YouTube. Not only that, but just this morning, we finally reached 2500 subscribers, so this game is just as much a celebration of our channel and our fans as it is a celebration of thirty years of amazing gameplay within the Zelda franchise.

And so, without further ado... The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild.

VIDEOS:

Jewel
May 2, 2009

ricdesi posted:

And so, without further ado... The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild.

Just for reference, 15 minutes won't cover too much or be interesting enough content for an entire day's wait when all you're doing that episode is trying to run across a mountainside, trying to climb up a particularly annoying hill, or scouting for one thing you've missed. 20-30 might seem more reasonable. Also, judging by a rough estimate, you might be here for literally 400+ episodes at 15 min/ep.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

ricdesi posted:

Every weekday, we will be spending another 15(ish) minutes

This game is absolutely gargantuan, and we intend to inspect every inch of the place, but we want to take it at our own pace and really soak in the environment.

These two really don't mesh. If you're not doing hour long videos, it'll be at least three weeks until you get out of the starting area if you go at my pace, and I'm not a completionist. Took me 4 hours to complete that section. You also talk over eachother and the game very regularly which I personally find infuriating but hey, if that's your style stick with it.

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

Yeah Rick you're definitely going to have to make these videos longer, the game is loving enormous. Consider doing them like you do the uh, the battle network games and putting out a big chunk on weekends or something?

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
I'm thirty hours in and still have large chunks of the map missing.

Good luck 100%ing it.

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

2020 is the year of linux on the desktop, bro
Fun Shoe

lping a game makes you hate it. don't lp this game.

ricdesi
Mar 18, 2014

Jewel posted:

Just for reference, 15 minutes won't cover too much or be interesting enough content for an entire day's wait when all you're doing that episode is trying to run across a mountainside, trying to climb up a particularly annoying hill, or scouting for one thing you've missed. 20-30 might seem more reasonable. Also, judging by a rough estimate, you might be here for literally 400+ episodes at 15 min/ep.

Yeah, we did a set of 6-7 episodes that were around 15 minutes and it was mostly spent getting acclimated to the new gameplay (which, granted, would probably be the case for any LP of this game regardless of episode length). And I have been hearing about the ~80-100 hour playtime, which... yeah, that could certainly be a problem. Last night, we sat down to record another batch of seven, this time around 20-25 minutes and it feels a lot more satisfying in terms of progress made per episode. I think we'll try to stick to that range -- 1) because stuff will actually get done, and 2) because we have three other series running at the same time, and putting out 2+ hours of the game every week might start to clog up the pipes, so to speak.

But yeah, tl;dr: 20 minutes seems to be the way to go.

HerpicleOmnicron5 posted:

These two really don't mesh. If you're not doing hour long videos, it'll be at least three weeks until you get out of the starting area if you go at my pace, and I'm not a completionist. Took me 4 hours to complete that section. You also talk over eachother and the game very regularly which I personally find infuriating but hey, if that's your style stick with it.

Minor spoilers, but I believe we exit the Great Plateau ~10 episodes in (so the end of next week). We also don't normally have quite so many people on mic at the same time (usually it's more of a 3-4 person setup -- we already junked a set of four episodes that had eight people because the commentary audio was almost unusably chaotic). It's definitely the difficulty of running a group channel among friends where everyone wants in on the action. Could get tricky, but we'll play it by ear. Also, not looking to 100% the game, I might change the language of the post a bit, I was more trying to indicate that we're not just going Point A to Point B to Point C through the game, but were going to explore and try to see as much as we reasonably can.

Grapplejack posted:

Yeah Rick you're definitely going to have to make these videos longer, the game is loving enormous. Consider doing them like you do the uh, the battle network games and putting out a big chunk on weekends or something?

Already replied to the length question (short answer: yes), as far as weekends go, we were originally considering it (since all the longer console Zelda games we played once a week on Saturdays or Sundays, depending on the game) but the idea of only putting out an hour or so of it split between two videos a week felt a little sparse. In the choice between 5x20 minutes vs. 2x50 minutes, the former felt a little more reasonable for bite-size viewing, letting us make more incremental steps, and keep us from "locked in syndrome". Sometimes when we do hour-long videos, we burn out halfway through, and it can be a bit of a dreadful experience for us and you.

But yeah, longer episodes, and considering we've already got three weeks' worth of videos in the bag, we may stretch them more or double up to keep the game moving along.

Mega64 posted:

I'm thirty hours in and still have large chunks of the map missing.

Good luck 100%ing it.

Thanks! Not sure we're shooting for 100% exactly, but at the very least we're looking to see as much as we can that isn't a terrible bore on YouTube, so we'll see how it goes. So far, I think we're keeping a reasonable pace, and the whole team is itching to keep moving.

Suspicious Dish posted:

lping a game makes you hate it. don't lp this game.

I don't know about that -- this is the 200th game we've played on the channel, and I'd wager there's only a dozen or so that we outright hated (and only a handful that we didn't hate going in, but did hate going out). But hey, we'll see how it goes, anything can happen for sure.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
I would say more that once you LP a game, you usually have very little reason to go back and play it again. I don't hate any of the games I've LPed, but neither have I had any impulse to go back to them, and some of them were games that I used to play at least a few times a year prior to doing the LP.

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

I'm just exploding with mackerel. This is the aji wo kutta of my discontent.
Pillbug
I've enjoyed my first LP so far, but like TooMuchAbs says, this will probably be my last play through of the game.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
Maybe sometimes, but if a game is worth playing then it's worth playing. If it's worth LPing a second time, then gosh darn it, it's worth LPing a second time.

I do understand the sentiment, though. I defintely needed a break from Turok after the LP, but I've gone back to it since then.

Putty
Mar 21, 2013

HOOKED ON THE BROTHERS
What are the chances of getting verified on Vid.me? They don't have content ID there so it's perfect for riffing videos on Youtube fiends, but without verification filesize and length are limited.

nutri_void
Apr 18, 2015

I shall devour your soul.
Grimey Drawer

Putty posted:

What are the chances of getting verified on Vid.me? They don't have content ID there so it's perfect for riffing videos on Youtube fiends, but without verification filesize and length are limited.

Demonstrate positive involvement in the Vidme community and you're golden

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
There wouldn't happen to be a website or something where I can see how copyright holders react to their media being used on youtube? Or do I have to play russian roulette and upload a video with part of a song and see what happens? I don't care if they decide to monetize my video, I'm mainly worried about them deciding to silence that part of the video or even worse, completely block it from certain countries.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

Put it up on private or scheduled and check before making the video public.

Catberry
Feb 17, 2017

♫ Most certainly ♫

Leal posted:

There wouldn't happen to be a website or something where I can see how copyright holders react to their media being used on youtube? Or do I have to play russian roulette and upload a video with part of a song and see what happens? I don't care if they decide to monetize my video, I'm mainly worried about them deciding to silence that part of the video or even worse, completely block it from certain countries.

That's a bit tricky. Legally you are covered (fair use) but youtube will automatically flag, disrupt your videos and take action against your account on their own initiative.

Have you considered alternative services like vimeo?

Polsy
Mar 23, 2007

https://www.youtube.com/music_policies they have a page, if you have a particular song in mind, though the search is ordered by 'popularity' instead of the closest match to the song title you put in for some reason.

Catberry
Feb 17, 2017

♫ Most certainly ♫

Polsy posted:

https://www.youtube.com/music_policies they have a page, if you have a particular song in mind, though the search is ordered by 'popularity' instead of the closest match to the song title you put in for some reason.

That's a neat list. Looking through it most mainstream songs seem to be available. I did some searching for fun and found an exception for some odd reason.

senrath
Nov 4, 2009

Look Professor, a destruct switch!

Which is really odd, because the album version of that track is listed as totally fine as well.

Catberry
Feb 17, 2017

♫ Most certainly ♫

senrath posted:

Which is really odd, because the album version of that track is listed as totally fine as well.

I wonder which one the automatic system will detect it as :shrug:

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

Hello! I see you.

Catberry posted:

That's a neat list. Looking through it most mainstream songs seem to be available. I did some searching for fun and found an exception for some odd reason.

How do I perform a cover of what is already a nearly note-for-note cover of a Gary Moore song? Do I need to hire an opera lady to sing it so the copyright robots can tell I'm specifically covering the Nightwish version?

DMorbid fucked around with this message at 20:44 on Mar 12, 2017

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

Polsy posted:

Neat, that is exactly what I"m looking for. Though its search algorithm is pretty crap, it keeps listing Justin Bieber songs. That guy is still around?

Kadorhal
Jun 3, 2013

Look, just sign the stupid petition. I've got stuff to do.

Leal posted:

Though its search algorithm is pretty crap

It's related to Google, what else can you expect?

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Is this the right thread to ask about an LP I can't find?

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Lurdiak posted:

Is this the right thread to ask about an LP I can't find?

This one, right here.

ricdesi
Mar 18, 2014

Catberry posted:

That's a bit tricky. Legally you are covered (fair use) but youtube will automatically flag, disrupt your videos and take action against your account on their own initiative.

Have you considered alternative services like vimeo?

Both of these are incorrect statements.

Legally you are not covered by fair use, not automatically at the very least. Let's Plays and their relationship with game footage is a very grey area (and will inevitably one day lead to a fairly high-profile lawsuit that will determine the legal status of Let's Plays en masse).

Let's Plays and their relationship with music is very cut and dry, as it is with any visual media: without explicit permission or a purchased license, you are infringing on a musician's copyright. If you are flagged, you will have an exceptionally difficult time proving that your work is somehow transforming the included music.

Secondly, Vimeo explicitly does not allow Let's Play videos. They don't want anything to do with the legally-grey muck, and the website is geared toward traditional filmmaking, not new media.

ricdesi fucked around with this message at 16:20 on Mar 13, 2017

Putty
Mar 21, 2013

HOOKED ON THE BROTHERS

Alexeythegreat posted:

Demonstrate positive involvement in the Vidme community and you're golden

I'd have to figure out a way to do that for a vidme channel dedicated to uploading mirrors riffing on lovely youtube men. Maybe I can upload Club Penguin let's plays or whatever and do an overhaul to madness once I get that verification check.

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I remade the "Outside SA" thread, you can find it here:

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3813692

Non-EuclideanCat
Nov 9, 2009
What's the procedure for bringing back threads that fell into archives to finish an LP? Do I just start a new thread and copy over all the important bits?

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.

Non-EuclideanCat posted:

What's the procedure for bringing back threads that fell into archives to finish an LP? Do I just start a new thread and copy over all the important bits?

Yeah, you'll have to start a new thread, unfortunately. Outside of really weird tech wizardry, (which was apparently used to bring back one thread in this subforum, dunno which one), archived threads can't be pulled out.

Scintilla
Aug 24, 2010

I BEAT HIGHFORT
and all I got was this
jackass monkey
Countdown to Destruction – Let’s Play Breath of Fire: Dragon Quarter

Breath of Fire: Dragon Quarter is an RPG-Roguelike released for the Playstation 2 in 2003 as the fifth installment of Capcom’s Breath of Fire RPG series.

In terms of chronology Dragon Quarter is like its predecessor, Breath of Fire IV, in that it floats in a strange void outside the established Breath of Fire continuity. Despite many fan theories about this game existing in the distant future of the franchise, the official word from Capcom is that Dragon Quarter is unrelated to the previous games except through its legacy characters, Ryu and Nina.

The game itself is generally regarded as the black sheep of the Breath of Fire series, being a radical departure from its predecessors in terms of genre, setting and tone. The classic RPG elements are given a pseudo-Roguelike spin, and the traditional dragon transformation ability has been reworked into something that is in every sense apocalyptic. Instead of a colourful medieval fantasy world, Dragon Quarter takes place in a grim and gritty post apocalyptic future where mankind has been forced underground. In lieu of the fantastic and vibrant environments of the rest of the series, the entirety of Dragon Quarter takes place in the dirty, cramped confines of a subterranean shelter.

These changes and others that I’ll get to later were sharply divisive, and Dragon Quarter has since been branded with the dreaded ‘love it or hate it’ label. Personally I respect the game for daring to be so different. It harkens back to a time when game companies weren’t afraid to experiment and try new things, and I applaud the Capcom of yesteryear for taking the risk even if it ruffled a few feathers.

Spoiler Rule
This game is ten years old and the story isn’t Shakespearean. That said, please use spoiler tags when discussing future plot points.

Update List:

Update 01 - Humble Origins
Update 02 - Freight

Other Breath of Fire LPs:

Breath of Fire by Me
Breath of Fire II by Me
Breath of Fire III by Rabbi Raccoon
Breath of Fire IV by Daeren

Scintilla fucked around with this message at 18:38 on Mar 25, 2017

FeyerbrandX
Oct 9, 2012

Glad to see another BoF from you, both updates are pointed to update 2 though.

Scintilla
Aug 24, 2010

I BEAT HIGHFORT
and all I got was this
jackass monkey
Oops. Thanks for pointing that out. It's fixed now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

Looks good.