Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
hey randy newman is loving awesome, WHM and Family Guy. better respecognize.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uj_oVfa-9fk

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow

Punkin Spunkin posted:

I feel like 90s kids don't get he had a career before family movie soundtracks

Honestly it's bizarre he does them now, given what his career was

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Punkin Spunkin posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pXyw4pdOGyE

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
WHY ARE YOU STILL SMILING
I'm cracking up at Chris' "Uhhhh..." at the end. Good save, man.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

bobkatt013 posted:

Or Louie Anderson doing all the roles of a movie, tv show, or podcast,

Speaking of which...which episode had Louie Anderson and George Lucas as office cubemates?

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Evil Mastermind posted:

Speaking of which...which episode had Louie Anderson and George Lucas as office cubemates?

I think it was "Don't Tell Mom the Babysitter's Dead"

RJWaters2
Dec 16, 2011

It was not not not so great
Does anyone remember the episode Bill Clinton calls someone, probably H.W. Bush, "motherfuck!" a bunch?

DoubleCakes
Jan 14, 2015

I never saw it but The Last Airbender sounds like what happens when you try to cram a whole television season's worth of plot into a two hour movie. Or at least that's one of the things going wrong.

Also, third time listening to the Stay Tuned episode of WHM and it's one of my favourites. All the jokes about Jeffery Jones "troubles" are killer

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

DoubleCakes posted:

I never saw it but The Last Airbender sounds like what happens when you try to cram a whole television season's worth of plot into a two hour movie. Or at least that's one of the things going wrong.

I was gonna post this. There are lots of kids' shows turned into movies but they all tell their own story to fit the movie structure. I don't know what the incentive is to go see a dark, dull live action 100 minute summary of 20 episodes of a bright, cheery, excellently animated tv show. The entire concept of the adaptation is a mess.

ZakAce
May 15, 2007

GF
If the guys want to expand their Cliff Curtis knowledge, they could go watch Once Were Warriors, which is an excellent Kiwi movie. It was directed by Lee Tamahori and stars Temuera Morrison as well, so they'd also be expanding their knowledge on two Kiwis they've encountered in past episodes.

Cliff Curtis was also in The Dark Horse, if they want to watch a movie about a mentally ill chess player. (RIP Genesis Potini).

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

clown shoes posted:

I like Carville, have met him several times (we're from the same place), and he loves jokes like this.
/

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

So i decided to bump up my Patreon to get into the Nexus level and have been burning through them. The slash fiction at the end of "Code of Honor" was the worst thing I have ever heard. Five stars.

Tiny Brontosaurus
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

ZakAce posted:

If the guys want to expand their Cliff Curtis knowledge, they could go watch Once Were Warriors, which is an excellent Kiwi movie. It was directed by Lee Tamahori and stars Temuera Morrison as well, so they'd also be expanding their knowledge on two Kiwis they've encountered in past episodes.

Cliff Curtis was also in The Dark Horse, if they want to watch a movie about a mentally ill chess player. (RIP Genesis Potini).

I just added this to my list. Any other Kiwi films you'd recommend?

Count Chocula
Dec 25, 2011

WE HAVE TO CONTROL OUR ENVIRONMENT
IF YOU SEE ME POSTING OUTSIDE OF THE AUSPOL THREAD PLEASE TELL ME THAT I'M MISSED AND TO START POSTING AGAIN
DEATHGASM!
Do you like Evil Dead and metal? You're posting on SA about movies; so probably. So watch DEATHGASM.

And early Peter Jackson.

clown shoes
Jul 17, 2004

Nothing but clowns down here.

Beep, beep.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

DoubleCakes posted:

That's exactly what it was. M. Night tried to jam 20 half-hour episodes into just over an hour and a half. That's why it was "Book One: Water"; that's the name of the first season.

Sef!
Oct 31, 2012
I don't know why, but I think of "INFOWARS DOT POP-TART" at least once a day now, and it never fails to make me legit laugh.

JT Smiley
Mar 3, 2006
Thats whats up!

Evil Mastermind posted:

That's exactly what it was. M. Night tried to jam 20 half-hour episodes into just over an hour and a half. That's why it was "Book One: Water"; that's the name of the first season.

Not only that, he somehow managed to make it worse in every conceivable way. He even went as far as changing the pronunciation of a bunch of characters names. I came out of that movie assuming the man had never seen an episode in his life.

clown shoes
Jul 17, 2004

Eric Szyszka never fails to crack me up. Even when his jokes don't land he still manages to make it funny.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

Evil Mastermind posted:

Do we know that Shyamalan was the one responsible for this? I know that he was still relatively public about working on the movie and personally defended a lot of the weird decisions like making the Fire Nation all Indian actors when their civilization was supposed to be an analogue for Japan or pronouncing Aang as "Ong" but I was under the impression that at least part of the reason for his involvement was trying to make up for what a stinker The Happening was by working on a big safe studio blockbuster and playing nice.

It's not like Nickelodeon hadn't already done a great job mishandling the franchise on their own long before Shyamalan was involved, like how they made them end the series in only 3 books instead of 4 and how they would not show new episodes for months at a time and then show them with no real notice or promotion and in a completely different timeslot. Even the sequel series kind of fell apart because Nick would only greenlight one season and then change their mind afterward and order more so it was full of rushed endings and false starts when one of the big reasons The Last Airbender was popular in the first place was because it had a set story arc with a definite end to work towards and was doing serialized storytelling back when that was still a novelty.

ZakAce
May 15, 2007

GF

Tiny Brontosaurus posted:

I just added this to my list. Any other Kiwi films you'd recommend?

Seconding Deathgasm and early Peter Jackson, because why not.

Films (in rough chronological order):

Two Geoff Murphy films: Goodbye Pork Pie and Utu. GPP is a comedy and one of the first Kiwi independent films, while Utu is a revenge film. You might remember Geoff Murphy from Freejack and Under Siege II: Dark Territory, both of which were covered by the WHM guys.

If you like Sam Neill, his breakout role was in Sleeping Dogs, a political thriller by Roger Donaldson, who would later direct The World's Fastest Indian. The latter film stars Anthony Hopkins as Burt Munro, a motorcyclist who set land speed records back in the '50s and '60s. In the USA, Roger Donaldson also directed Dante's Peak.

Came A Hot Friday is a 1985 comedy based on a book by Ronald Hugh Morrieson, and stars the legendary Kiwi comedian Billy T James (RIP).

If you want more Kiwi horror, there's Black Sheep, starring evil sheep and zero Chris Farley.

Most of Taika Waititi's filmography: Boy, What We Do In The Shadows, Hunt For The Wilderpeople. (The latter film comes Andrew Jupin-recommended).

Housebound, a horror film about a woman sentenced to house arrest in a haunted house. Both this film and Hunt For The Wilderpeople feature nefarious social workers.

I might have missed a couple, but that's a pretty thorough collection of Kiwi filmography. You guys might have already heard of some of these movies, such as the latter two Taika Waititi films.

Tiny Brontosaurus
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

ZakAce posted:

Seconding Deathgasm and early Peter Jackson, because why not.

Films (in rough chronological order):

Two Geoff Murphy films: Goodbye Pork Pie and Utu. GPP is a comedy and one of the first Kiwi independent films, while Utu is a revenge film. You might remember Geoff Murphy from Freejack and Under Siege II: Dark Territory, both of which were covered by the WHM guys.

If you like Sam Neill, his breakout role was in Sleeping Dogs, a political thriller by Roger Donaldson, who would later direct The World's Fastest Indian. The latter film stars Anthony Hopkins as Burt Munro, a motorcyclist who set land speed records back in the '50s and '60s. In the USA, Roger Donaldson also directed Dante's Peak.

Came A Hot Friday is a 1985 comedy based on a book by Ronald Hugh Morrieson, and stars the legendary Kiwi comedian Billy T James (RIP).

If you want more Kiwi horror, there's Black Sheep, starring evil sheep and zero Chris Farley.

Most of Taika Waititi's filmography: Boy, What We Do In The Shadows, Hunt For The Wilderpeople. (The latter film comes Andrew Jupin-recommended).

Housebound, a horror film about a woman sentenced to house arrest in a haunted house. Both this film and Hunt For The Wilderpeople feature nefarious social workers.

I might have missed a couple, but that's a pretty thorough collection of Kiwi filmography. You guys might have already heard of some of these movies, such as the latter two Taika Waititi films.

Thanks so much! I will enjoy diving into these

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012

Count Chocula posted:

Didn't the first Scooby Doo movie have James Gunn writing it? Apparently the Josie & the Pussycats movie is smart satire with a good soundtrack... I know the AV Club loved it.

A bit back but 100 percent recommend Josie and the Pussycats movie. It's REALLY good and totally worth a watch.

So I haven't subscribed to the Patreon (yet), if I do, do I get older AD and Nexus episodes? Or is it like "you get to listen to these episodes for this window of time" ?

Also, I pray that Randy Newman makes a return.

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

Guy Mann posted:

Do we know that Shyamalan was the one responsible for this? I know that he was still relatively public about working on the movie and personally defended a lot of the weird decisions like making the Fire Nation all Indian actors when their civilization was supposed to be an analogue for Japan or pronouncing Aang as "Ong" but I was under the impression that at least part of the reason for his involvement was trying to make up for what a stinker The Happening was by working on a big safe studio blockbuster and playing nice.

http://www.mnightfans.com/who-is-to-blame-for-the-last-airbender/#sthash.Y3kIHNLq.dpbs

The decisions on white-washing the cast end up reading like that Party Down "My Stuggle" song. Just being so stupid to not realize they were making it worse.

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
WHY ARE YOU STILL SMILING

teen witch posted:

So I haven't subscribed to the Patreon (yet), if I do, do I get older AD and Nexus episodes? Or is it like "you get to listen to these episodes for this window of time" ?

You get all of them.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

GoutPatrol posted:

http://www.mnightfans.com/who-is-to-blame-for-the-last-airbender/#sthash.Y3kIHNLq.dpbs

The decisions on white-washing the cast end up reading like that Party Down "My Stuggle" song. Just being so stupid to not realize they were making it worse.

I like how that post you linked to believes that the writer, director, and producer, M. Night just lacked the power to do anything about the trainwreck. That poor man, just undermined at every turn by the people working for him which there was no way to control.

Also like half the things listed as needing to "share the blame" weren't that bad? I don't remember anyone ever complaining about costumes or the score.

Sax Solo
Feb 18, 2011

clown shoes posted:

Eric Szyszka never fails to crack me up. Even when his jokes don't land he still manages to make it funny.

Yeah he's great at taking things up to a more absurd and funny level. He can't carry the main line forward like the other guys. When he tries he's kinda absurdly bad at it though, so it's still funny.

I like that kind of humor. Also, when they all disagree on movies, he usually has the take me and my SO agree with*, so he's our favorite.

(*For example, that Dredd is good, or the opening scene of La La Land is bad.)

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

Gyges posted:

I like how that post you linked to believes that the writer, director, and producer, M. Night just lacked the power to do anything about the trainwreck. That poor man, just undermined at every turn by the people working for him which there was no way to control.

Also like half the things listed as needing to "share the blame" weren't that bad? I don't remember anyone ever complaining about costumes or the score.

http://www.joblo.com/movie-news/insight-into-the-failure-of-the-last-airbender-why-m-night-isnt-to-blame-576

This is probably a better link. I was just trying to remember what I read not that long ago (maybe even in one of the other movie podcast threads recently.)

clown shoes
Jul 17, 2004

Sax Solo posted:

Yeah he's great at taking things up to a more absurd and funny level. He can't carry the main line forward like the other guys. When he tries he's kinda absurdly bad at it though, so it's still funny.

I like that kind of humor. Also, when they all disagree on movies, he usually has the take me and my SO agree with*, so he's our favorite.

(*For example, that Dredd is good, or the opening scene of La La Land is bad.)

There was a recent episode where he did the Harry's ad and it was simultaneously mediocre and hilarious. His constant tweets about the Bye Bye Man crack me up. I can't wait until he sees that movie.

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012

END ME SCOOB posted:

You get all of them.

I'm home sick with food poisoning, this has provided a relief that other items have not.

Ignoranus
Jun 3, 2006

HAPPY MORNING
I've been listening to WHM for over a year now (maybe a few years? I honestly have no idea) and gently caress, is it ever good. At first I just went through the list of episodes and grabbed only movies that I had already seen, but at some point along the way the humor and flow really clicked into place for me and now I'm working on listening to every episode. I love the dynamic and the sense of humor and honestly have yet to find an episode disappointing.

I just listened to the "Kindergarten Cop 2" episode and that one definitely had some killer bits in it. The guys getting really excited about some weird Dolph Lundgren film showing up on Netflix ("Shark Lake?" "Wait, isn't that fresh water?"), laughing about the director's three first names, getting mad about the movie's aping of the original without the conceit supporting it ("Kindergartens close at 3:15! Just go in at night!"), and checking back to see whether or not their predictions about the movie had been accurate all stick out to me. I'm 100% sure there were other bits that slew me but that have since escaped my memory.

Some of the weird one-offs also kill me. I have no idea what episode it was in, but I still laugh when I think about : "Male babes!" "I think those are called 'hunks.' " Every loving time I think about Highlander, Mortal Kombat or Christopher Lambert in general, the first thing that springs to mind is the raspy "Heh heh heh" laugh.

Is it just me or is the ghost of Chris Cabin always mad? I love how personally upset he seems about bad movies. Is he always that sarcastic, I wonder, or is it on overdrive for the show/because he's spending time with friends who appreciate it?

Apes-Ma
Aug 9, 2011

Your cage isn't getting any bigger.
Andrew seems more mad than Cabin to me tbh.

GlenMR
Dec 11, 2005

What is this emotion called "criminal negligence"?
Andrew is, like, theatrically mad, but Cabin seems personally insulted by bad films. It's great, the fact that all four of them have totally different approaches is what makes the show work so well.

Trillhouse
Dec 31, 2000

Last Airbender feels like it broke them. It's gotta be hard to think of fresh takes on a movie that pretty much every bad movie podcast has done, but I thought it was really good! There anger at just how poor everything about it was came through and I was dying laughing on my commute.

I went looking for a bunch of highlights from the film after listening to the podcast. The slow moving rock from the Earth benders is the greatest.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things
Its weird listening to old episodes and hearing the genesis of running jokes.

Just heard the first 'bend over and I'll show ya' and its hilarious how much Eric is pulling back in case it doesn't land.

Also the proto Martin Cinemax the 3rd stuff in Batman Forever.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
I watched Avatar back when it aired, the last time I watched it was when the last episode aired and haven't watched it since so I don't remember a lot of things, but the guys going over the movie made me have flashbacks of it and realize how badly M botched it
- The entire cast was intensely charismatic and likeable or appropriately intimidating if they were villanous, the voice actors were stellar all around
- The music was amazing and memorable. The Blue Spirit's theme (Zuko's ninja adventure) consisted of nothing but bells softly tinkling but I'll be damned if it wasn't memorable
- Related to that the episode with the Blue Spirit consisted of nothing but mute, fantastic ninja action as Zuko rescued Aang culminating with Zuko lashing at and attacking Aang despite saving him because Zuko was a good and conflicted antihero.
- The bad fire nation general didn't limply stab a fish in a burlap sack, he loving burnt it alive and the entire world turned blood red afterwards
- For a kids' shows, Avatar had a bunch of people dying on screen. Off the top of my screen there's the fish, the general guy whose name I forgot, the moon lady, and a bunch more in latter seasons. It was a pretty grim show with the deaths
- Iroh was great. Chubby easy going noble uncle who could loving breathe fire and buffed himself up in prison on nothing but bread and push ups.
- The show had the strangest celebrity guest voices. One of the Williams' tennis sisters and a relatively high profile wrestler.
- Aang did kill/drown the fire general guy when he went berserk at the end of the season and turned into a giant water monster
- Again, maybe this is rose tinted glasses, but the fight choreography in the cartoon was incredible. The martial arts were fluid and weightful and impactful. The movie's choreography is just bleh.
There's a bunch more things, but I can't recall off the top of my head. Am I wrong thinking that the cartoon was pretty good?

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006
No, it's a really good cartoon.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Season 1's a bit rocky in places because it's hopping on one foot between the goofy problem-of-the-week K-12 show Nickelodeon was angling for and the more mature show that the writing team was slowly weaving in. I also suspect that part of it was that they didn't realize what a good character they had on their hands in the form of Zuko at the start: he's mostly just a bumbling oaf throughout Season 1, compared to Season 2 where he's practically stealing the show.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Calaveron posted:

I watched Avatar back when it aired, the last time I watched it was when the last episode aired and haven't watched it since so I don't remember a lot of things, but the guys going over the movie made me have flashbacks of it and realize how badly M botched it
- The entire cast was intensely charismatic and likeable or appropriately intimidating if they were villanous, the voice actors were stellar all around
- The music was amazing and memorable. The Blue Spirit's theme (Zuko's ninja adventure) consisted of nothing but bells softly tinkling but I'll be damned if it wasn't memorable
- Related to that the episode with the Blue Spirit consisted of nothing but mute, fantastic ninja action as Zuko rescued Aang culminating with Zuko lashing at and attacking Aang despite saving him because Zuko was a good and conflicted antihero.
- The bad fire nation general didn't limply stab a fish in a burlap sack, he loving burnt it alive and the entire world turned blood red afterwards
- For a kids' shows, Avatar had a bunch of people dying on screen. Off the top of my screen there's the fish, the general guy whose name I forgot, the moon lady, and a bunch more in latter seasons. It was a pretty grim show with the deaths
- Iroh was great. Chubby easy going noble uncle who could loving breathe fire and buffed himself up in prison on nothing but bread and push ups.
- The show had the strangest celebrity guest voices. One of the Williams' tennis sisters and a relatively high profile wrestler.
- Aang did kill/drown the fire general guy when he went berserk at the end of the season and turned into a giant water monster
- Again, maybe this is rose tinted glasses, but the fight choreography in the cartoon was incredible. The martial arts were fluid and weightful and impactful. The movie's choreography is just bleh.
There's a bunch more things, but I can't recall off the top of my head. Am I wrong thinking that the cartoon was pretty good?

Nah, dude, you're not wrong, the cartoon owns and the movie hosed all of those things up really badly.

Like one of the most disappointing things about the movie is, had it been handed to someone who gave even half a gently caress, it could have been awesome. But no. They gave it to loving Shyamalan.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Shyamalan could at least have done the audience the courtesy of hiring a loving martial artist to do the choreography in a martial arts film. This ain't rocket science, Mr. Night!