Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

spit on my clit
Jul 19, 2015

by Cyrano4747

FactsAreUseless posted:

Police will never help you.

yeah cause they never get summoned to me!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Olive!
Mar 16, 2015

It's not a ghost, but probably a 'living corpse'. The 'living dead' with a hell of a lot of bloodlust...

FactsAreUseless posted:

Police will never help you.

I can't tell if this is a joke about his avatar or not

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

Olive Garden tonight! posted:

I can't tell if this is a joke about his avatar or not

Olive!
Mar 16, 2015

It's not a ghost, but probably a 'living corpse'. The 'living dead' with a hell of a lot of bloodlust...
Character dog name Police

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.

Luisfe posted:

Also, the count of Monte Cristo, and Bester's The Stars My Destination.

Dang good books with ridiculously driven characters. Amoral, too.

When I read the Count of Monte Cristo it was kind of funny. I took months to get through the first ~30 chapters, and then as soon as Dantes left prison and things started happening I couldn't read it fast enough and got through the last 100 chapters in about a month. Hell of an escalation. Caderousse, you were doing so well but you had to try to rob him didn't you. You were the one guy who didn't screw him over, he had forgiven you and was about to set you for life but your wife got greedy and now your both in the poo poo. To think, he liked you too...

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Somfin posted:

Okay. Quick question.

Do you think that games can have a point?
Not sure what you mean by this but I'll try to answer anyway. Do games have a point, as in, are they created for a particular purpose? Yes, obviously. Can games have a point, as in, can it be worthwhile that they exist? Yes. Can games have point, as in, a message or intended meaning? Also yes.

Does any of that answer your question?

RBA Starblade posted:

I like how Tiggum's both declared how it's impossible to play a role in a game because it's hard coded then asked why devs only allow certain choices when playing as a character.
I didn't ask why devs only allow certain choices though. :confused:

Sic Semper Goon
Mar 1, 2015

Eu tu?

:zaurg:

Switchblade Switcharoo

Kay Kessler posted:

One of my favorite moral choices was in Dragon Age Origins' mage tower. You run into a man possessed by a succubus. You're given the choice to kill her or let her go. She claims she just wants to live in the mortal world and if you let her go she won't harm anyone. But of course it could easily be all a lie. And most importantly, once your choice is made, you're never told if what you did was the right thing or not.

The physical embodiment of evil incarnate? I think I did the right thing attacking her.

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

In my🦚 experience🛠️ the big things🌑 don't teach you anything🤷‍♀️.

Nap Ghost

Tiggum posted:

Not sure what you mean by this but I'll try to answer anyway. Do games have a point, as in, are they created for a particular purpose? Yes, obviously. Can games have a point, as in, can it be worthwhile that they exist? Yes. Can games have point, as in, a message or intended meaning? Also yes.

Does any of that answer your question?

It does. Do you think that the mechanics of a game can support or reinforce the point of a game?

And conversely, do you think that inappropriately-chosen mechanics can harm or counteract the point of a game?

Somfin has a new favorite as of 06:56 on Mar 11, 2017

Dr Christmas
Apr 24, 2010

Berninating the one percent,
Berninating the Wall St.
Berninating all the people
In their high rise penthouses!
🔥😱🔥🔫👴🏻
The Deus Ex: Human Revolution DLC had you on a PMC's ocean base were a bunch of innocent people are taken and often experimented on. A whistleblower has a sub prepped and ready to go, but then the bad guy decides to gas everyone. So you're given a choice at a terminal to vent the gas to save either the single whistleblower, or the many prisoners, who will languish indefinitely.

However, if you do some exploring (or spoil yourself by looking up up achievements), you can find the machine that makes the gas and save everyone. I'm not quite if that cheapens it or not.

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

Nap Ghost

Dr Christmas posted:

However, if you do some exploring (or spoil yourself by looking up up achievements), you can find the machine that makes the gas and save everyone. I'm not quite if that cheapens it or not.

The "best third way" is a classic staple of adventure stories, so... no. No it definitely does not. Though the initial situation seems somewhat contrived.

Gerblyn
Apr 4, 2007

"TO BATTLE!"
Fun Shoe

KingSlime posted:

From soft games are all about tension and risks. The highs and sense of accomplishment wouldn't be as good without any risk.

I agree with you, but I think it's only half the story. Soulbourne games are about Impatience:

Impatience leads to Frustration
Frustration leads to Carelessness
Carelessness leads to Failure
Failure leads to Repetition
Repetition leads to Impatience

The main impact of boss runs (at least for me) is that it reinforces this loop. By forcing the player to do something which is clearly pointless busywork with every attempt, you try their patience and set them on the road to failure. You trap the player in an emotional vicious circle which they need to escape from if they are to have a reasonable chance of success (hence advice like "Go play something else for a while, then try again later"). Also, it's that built up frustration that leads to the cathartic sense of joy when you finally succeed in killing the boss for the first time.

I have a love/hate relationship with boss runs, since by nature I'm an impatient person. On a primal level, I can't stand them, I hate feeling frustrated, and I hate feeling like I've wasted my whole evening fighting the same boss over and over and not achieving anything concrete. On the other hand though, and this is probably going to sound pretty lame, I appreciate the fact that they're training me to try and overcome my sense of impatience and keep a cool head when really I just want to smash by controller through my monitor.

Croccers
Jun 15, 2012
GTA 5 did a 'Best Third Way' at the end and it cheapened the already cheap pot-shotty spiteful game.

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

Croccers posted:

GTA 5 did a 'Best Third Way' at the end and it cheapened the already cheap pot-shotty spiteful game.

Honestly the end of GTA V feels more like the other two options were just haphazardly slapped in, they're both abrupt farts of endings with another really blatant ---> CHOOSE THIS ONE <--- true ending option.

ArtIsResistance
May 19, 2007

QUEEN OF FRANCE, SAVIOR OF LOWTAX

Gerblyn posted:

I agree with you, but I think it's only half the story. Soulbourne games are about Impatience:

Impatience leads to Frustration
Frustration leads to Carelessness
Carelessness leads to Failure
Failure leads to Repetition
Repetition leads to Impatience

The main impact of boss runs (at least for me) is that it reinforces this loop. By forcing the player to do something which is clearly pointless busywork with every attempt, you try their patience and set them on the road to failure. You trap the player in an emotional vicious circle which they need to escape from if they are to have a reasonable chance of success (hence advice like "Go play something else for a while, then try again later"). Also, it's that built up frustration that leads to the cathartic sense of joy when you finally succeed in killing the boss for the first time.

I have a love/hate relationship with boss runs, since by nature I'm an impatient person. On a primal level, I can't stand them, I hate feeling frustrated, and I hate feeling like I've wasted my whole evening fighting the same boss over and over and not achieving anything concrete. On the other hand though, and this is probably going to sound pretty lame, I appreciate the fact that they're training me to try and overcome my sense of impatience and keep a cool head when really I just want to smash by controller through my monitor.

Um, I just like the combat and how fun the game is. Your reasons for liking blourne are cool too

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Tiggum posted:

I don't know what you're talking about. I assume you're referring to Firewatch, but all I know about that game is what Guy Mann said about it, and the way he described it made it sound like it was done really badly, ie. you can easily miss a bunch of optional stuff and then the ending makes no sense. If that's how it is, that's bad writing.

Or, I liked the game enough to want to play 100% of it once, but not enough to want to play 90% of it twice. Or I liked it enough to want to play 100% of it twice, but not enough to play 90% of it four times. How is this hard to understand?

Have you tried using multiple saves at various points in the game seeing as most (all?) ES and Fallout games let you have dozens/hundreds?

Edit: Content - The thing dragging games down is the inability for me to purchase them without having to get a physical copy and pay a 100% markup. All I want is a dumb Mobile Suit Gundam game on the Vita but SD GGGG isn't available on the NA PS Store and I don't want to pay 150$ for one game.

Jobbo_Fett has a new favorite as of 15:08 on Mar 11, 2017

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money
So I'm 80% done with the berserk game now and all that's left to do is beat the same 100 floor dungeon over and over again with every character to unlock super form costumes I'll never use because there's nothing else to do with that character :suicide: but hey, only six more days until Nier comes to PC!

I've complained about the bosses before, but refighting them all so many times really gives you a lot of time to realize just how poo poo some of them can be. Like the Lord of Thieves. He's the giant snake apostle in like, the first few chapters of berserk that guts kills like a total chump. In this game though? Worst drat boss because you flat out can not hit him from any direction but the front. For reasons completely unknown to me the devs saw fit to just make his entire back and most of his sides completely invincible. Oh and most of his attacks involve him just doing tail slams constantly, and forever. Enemies have like no stamina limitations or anything so at higher levels they'll just spam attacks non-stop and once you're stick in a corner you can't get out from their hitbox and since you have no invulnerability after getting hit or knocked down, have fun going from full health to no health in about three seconds.

But it's not just giant bosses that suck either. Because the game straight up can not handle targeting a a single small human-sized character. So you'll try to do a basic combo only to have your character just keep walking half a dozen feet clean past the boss and stop doing any damage while the boss will turn around and just start stabbing your rear end until your long attack animations stop and you can finally turn around.

:negative: the main game is so fun though, chopping dudes up is great. How did they gently caress up the bosses this bad?

OldTennisCourt
Sep 11, 2011

by VideoGames

Croccers posted:

already cheap pot-shotty spiteful game.

What?

QuietLion
Aug 16, 2011

Da realest Kirby
Jumping on the "everything but bosses rock in Berserk" train, I've only had one non-human boss fight so far and it was awful. Despite weaving in lots of dodging and sitting behind him most of the time, Zodd put me in a corner and stun locked me through my entire Frenzy a couple of times.

It's nice that I don't lose health, but considering how block is useless versus Apostles and non-human bosses it'd be nice to get superarmor during Frenzy. And I'm not eager to essentially lose an equipment slot for a +9 McGuffin of Evasion just to get a few frames of invincibility on my dodge.

Gerblyn
Apr 4, 2007

"TO BATTLE!"
Fun Shoe

ArtIsResistance posted:

Um, I just like the combat and how fun the game is. Your reasons for liking blourne are cool too

I've had an awful lot of time during Boss runs to stew on this :shobon:

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Kay Kessler posted:

One of my favorite moral choices was in Dragon Age Origins' mage tower. You run into a man possessed by a succubus. You're given the choice to kill her or let her go. She claims she just wants to live in the mortal world and if you let her go she won't harm anyone. But of course it could easily be all a lie. And most importantly, once your choice is made, you're never told if what you did was the right thing or not.

Beaten DAO three times, always let the Desire Demon leave with the Templar. Why not? She's happy, he's happy, Leliana Approves. All she's doing is giving him the illusion of a happy family. There's literally no reason to bust the poor guy's illusion because all that happens is you kill him.

The life of a Templar is utter poo poo anyway. The Demon Matrix was the best thing that ever happened to him. Not long after this you get sucked into Sloth's realm and he's pretty cool and helps you, too. Contrast Alistair's dream of his (supposed) half-sister with the reality. The dream was clearly happier for him.

Sunswipe
Feb 5, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Dr Christmas posted:

The Deus Ex: Human Revolution DLC had you on a PMC's ocean base were a bunch of innocent people are taken and often experimented on. A whistleblower has a sub prepped and ready to go, but then the bad guy decides to gas everyone. So you're given a choice at a terminal to vent the gas to save either the single whistleblower, or the many prisoners, who will languish indefinitely.

Thing that dragged that DLC down for me was the villain doing a "we're not so different, you and I" speech because he's willing to perform horrific medical experiments on kidnapped civilians while you're willing to kill his men who are trying to kill you. I just can't see the similarity.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Evilreaver posted:

I have an oo-rah firearms buddy who I game with online frequently. He was super-excited for Ghost Recon and got us into the beta. I wasn't impressed enough to buy it, but he loved it enough to buy it for me. Good friend.

Obviously I can't whine to him, so I'mma whine at you guys.

Tom Clancy's Ghost Recon is basically Just Cause 2, with co-op, without the explosions, grapple, action, or hang glider. You do the exact same things as in Just Cause, except in a boring manner-- carefully sneak up on a military camp, carefully snipe everyone out, miss a round halfway in because a desk/wall is invisible, remaining folks start the alarm, die right away because your character is about as agile as a fat internet gamer nerd. Repeat, get it right, go to another camp and start over.

You start with a kit capable of clearing all objectives in the game (a silenced assault rifle, a flying drone that marks enemies). Everything else is just a few more degrees of convenience. This also means that you'll never get new fun toys. This also means that you'll never face more difficult enemies. Pretty early on you get an anti-material rifle that can one-shot helicopters and humvees, now there's nothing to threaten you with. (Sometimes you hit the people inside, which means they take the bullet and not the vehicle, annoying you into firing another round). Your AR is perfectly capable of exploding those vehicles if you don't want to get the big sniper.

Enemies show up on your minimap at all times. You always know with 100% certainty of there are enemies in a particular area or not.

Turning off things like the minimap turns off other vital information that isn't conveyed in other ways, for example "Go to this area and blow up X" becomes "Go somewhere and blow up X". Turning off notifications that you got +10XP or +10 SUPPLY every ten seconds also turns off 'press 1/2/3 to interrogate for information a/b/c'. Your difficulty options are "You're a huge bullet sponge" and "You die in two hits"

The story is open ended and flat. There is no rising action whatsoever. The challenges you face Hour 1 are virtually identical in Hour 20. I'm maybe halfway through, and there is zero room for the story to do anything interesting. The bank heist mission was poo poo (basically just 'clear a building then hold for two waves'). It becomes grindy as poo poo to finish maxing skills that you don't use (you start with everything you need, remember).

:argh:

I've put in a day of time into Ghost Recon Wildlands and, yeah, this.

Sometimes I get excited because I'll fly a helicopter around and see a beautiful explosion in the distance, but investigating it never leads to anything.
Rebels can spawn in technicals on any road, but everyone drives past eachother without a care in the world.
No tanks exist in the game, only some ONE type of LAV with the puniest guns around.
You get a special ability to call in a vehicle drop-off. If you upgrade it, you can't select previous stuff. This is a problem when the first 2 tiers give you a truck, and the 3rd gives you a chopper.
Guns are interchangeable and nothing really feels unique. You can get unique guns off bosses you kill, but they can't be modified in any way.
Very rarely will you fight more than 7 enemy AI at any given time. Your 3 friendly AI squadmates are absolute garbage as a result.
Friendly AI tags enemies... sometimes, but most noticeably NOT IN COMBAT. No, I didn't need to know about that guy that snuck up behind me because enemy AI barely ever talk.
Friendly AI rarely helps in a fight, see two points above. This is rarely changed when actually ordering squadmates to OPEN FIRE.
You can't direct friendly AI singly. Every order you make is applied to all 3 squadmates, so forget tactical placement to help defend or clear an objective.

Like... the more I think about Wildlands, the more problems I see with its design that don't make any sense when compared to previous, or even the decade-plus-old games.

At least The Division was this new thing and the setting was mildly interesting and was more involved than "BOLIVIAN DRUG CARTELS KILL 1 AMERICAN GO gently caress UP THE COUNTRY!"

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

Sunswipe posted:

Thing that dragged that DLC down for me was the villain doing a "we're not so different, you and I" speech because he's willing to perform horrific medical experiments on kidnapped civilians while you're willing to kill his men who are trying to kill you. I just can't see the similarity.

mine was the weird scanner doors that just existed to hide loading

just show me a loving loading screen, it'd annoy me less

Evilreaver
Feb 26, 2007

GEORGE IS GETTIN' AUGMENTED!
Dinosaur Gum

Jobbo_Fett posted:

I've put in a day of time into Ghost Recon Wildlands and, yeah, this.

Sometimes I get excited because I'll fly a helicopter around and see a beautiful explosion in the distance, but investigating it never leads to anything.
Rebels can spawn in technicals on any road, but everyone drives past eachother without a care in the world.
No tanks exist in the game, only some ONE type of LAV with the puniest guns around.
You get a special ability to call in a vehicle drop-off. If you upgrade it, you can't select previous stuff. This is a problem when the first 2 tiers give you a truck, and the 3rd gives you a chopper.
Guns are interchangeable and nothing really feels unique. You can get unique guns off bosses you kill, but they can't be modified in any way.
Very rarely will you fight more than 7 enemy AI at any given time. Your 3 friendly AI squadmates are absolute garbage as a result.
Friendly AI tags enemies... sometimes, but most noticeably NOT IN COMBAT. No, I didn't need to know about that guy that snuck up behind me because enemy AI barely ever talk.
Friendly AI rarely helps in a fight, see two points above. This is rarely changed when actually ordering squadmates to OPEN FIRE.
You can't direct friendly AI singly. Every order you make is applied to all 3 squadmates, so forget tactical placement to help defend or clear an objective.

Like... the more I think about Wildlands, the more problems I see with its design that don't make any sense when compared to previous, or even the decade-plus-old games.

At least The Division was this new thing and the setting was mildly interesting and was more involved than "BOLIVIAN DRUG CARTELS KILL 1 AMERICAN GO gently caress UP THE COUNTRY!"

Once you upgrade your 'Sync Shot' so you can mark 3 enemies at a time, your AI are basically an orbital strike that obviates any challenge. They don't need line of sight, range, they never miss, they don't even have to be on the same plane of existence to insta-kill any three dudes your drone has ever seen. 30 seconds later, do it again. Group of 5? Pick two that are close and kill them yourself. One sniper you can't get an angle on? Mark it, have the AI do it. A sniper you have easy line of sight on and you just want to shoot him? WOOPS INVISIBLE TABLE now the base is on alert, idiot

I love how one of the top-tier high-level skills is "you take longer to bleed out" when (a) it starts at a full minute, (b) you can't interrupt it or tap out anyway, so if you're playing online you usually want to die anyway to respawn on a friendly and this skill just makes it take longer, OR your AI warp to you anyway when you're down so the timer's bullshit. EVEN IF you want to wait for a friend to revive you, in Co-Op you don't bleed out at all.

Enemies have exactly one "we see them let's attack" combat bark.

SAM sites respawn at range, so its impossible to clear a flight path for fixed-wing-aircraft missions (who have an rear end of a time trying to dodge SAMs; helicopters can do so easy)

Also a max-level 'ultimate' skill is "Your Explosion is larger". No word on if they mean grenades, C4, vehicles you attack, or what. That's the whole description. Not even plural 'explosions'.

I hate this game and I'm pretty much being dragged through it help :(

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

The ultimate thing dragging down Wildlands is that you can really clearly see the framework for a fun rear end game, but it's just not there. (Yet? Hopefully.)

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

QuietLion posted:

Jumping on the "everything but bosses rock in Berserk" train, I've only had one non-human boss fight so far and it was awful. Despite weaving in lots of dodging and sitting behind him most of the time, Zodd put me in a corner and stun locked me through my entire Frenzy a couple of times.

It's nice that I don't lose health, but considering how block is useless versus Apostles and non-human bosses it'd be nice to get superarmor during Frenzy. And I'm not eager to essentially lose an equipment slot for a +9 McGuffin of Evasion just to get a few frames of invincibility on my dodge.

My pro-strat for how to beat the harder bosses and Endless Eclipse mode is to just get all the frenzy and deathblow boosting skills on your poo poo. As you go through the story you unlock better ways to upgrade your stuff, after a point you can just pick and choose what skills go where. So my entire strategy for the floor 100 fight was to slap him a few times, hop on my horse and run around until my auto-charging frenzy was back up and then fight him again and repeat that for an embarrassingly long time because I had like 5% health after the bullshit that was the thief lord fight before him.

swamp waste
Nov 4, 2009

There is some very sensual touching going on in the cutscene there. i don't actually think it means anything sexual but it's cool how it contrasts with modern ideas of what bad ass stuff should be like. It even seems authentic to some kind of chivalric masculine touching from a tyme longe gone

Action Tortoise posted:

fable 2 had the best moral choice when you first meet Reaver. there's a girl held hostage by a mysterious presence and a disembodied voice gives you a choice: give up your youth to save the girl or let the girl lose her youth.
there is no risk to your character at all besides their looks.

but it worked for me. I wasn't emotionally invested at all with my character or the story but I hesitated and let the girl take the fall for some misplaced fear that my generic looking dude would get a bunch of wrinkles.

the game appealed to my narcissism and it worked.

That got me too.

The rest of that game didnt do it for me but i'll always remember that. It put something at risk that you can't buy or earn a replacement for (as far as i know).

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

Nap Ghost

swamp waste posted:

That got me too.

The rest of that game didnt do it for me but i'll always remember that. It put something at risk that you can't buy or earn a replacement for (as far as i know).

Really though the game would be better if you could undo the effects of that quest because I don't want to play as an oldster but I also don't want to not experience playing as an oldster why can't I do both on one save file *spasms tiggumistically*

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

PLease do not insult my good friend Tiggum

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Nuebot posted:

He's also probably the easiest fight in the game though. Big slow clunky dude who spends half his time trying to cast spells he won't ever get off.

Velstadt? No way. I'd say his huge hp and damage alone puts him in the middle of the pack at least. Were you playing as a caster or something? Whenever I fight him he mostly does melee and casts spells pretty rarely.

QuietLion posted:

Sounds a lot like Hyrule Warriors. 95% of that game was great but the giant bosses were incredibly terrible.

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

Nap Ghost

oldpainless posted:

PLease do not insult my good friend Tiggum

I'm very sorry to you for doing that oldpainless

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The Moon Monster posted:

Velstadt? No way. I'd say his huge hp and damage alone puts him in the middle of the pack at least. Were you playing as a caster or something? Whenever I fight him he mostly does melee and casts spells pretty rarely.

No, I usually just take my big sword in both hands and relentlessly pound his rear until he gives up and crouches down to cast his magic then he dies before the spell goes off. :shrug: Hex/miracle casters in 2 are entirely broken so those don't count. For me, my least favorite boss in 2 will always be old iron king because one misstep and you're just going to fall right into a stupid hole and die. Actual hardest fight for me is probably the spider, I'm pretty bad at fights that summon adds.

QuietLion posted:

I retract my original Berserk complaint. Turns out I was a single mission from unlocking Amalgamation, which permits me to stack +Stagger Resist to the moon via combining equippable items. I tried Zodd again right after I re-equipped myself, and Deathblow'd him three times in about forty-five seconds. :black101:

I'm probably going to need to turn the difficulty from Hard to Berserk soon, right?
No, bosses start hitting harder and even with maxed daunt resist or whatever the initial problem is going to rear its head time and time again. The first zodd fight is the best of the giant monster battles. Amalgamate gets better though and later on you get some accessories with really good abilities that make your deathblow and frenzy charge faster, last longer and do more damage. But you seem to have the gist of it, always be frenzying.

Nuebot has a new favorite as of 02:44 on Mar 12, 2017

QuietLion
Aug 16, 2011

Da realest Kirby
I retract my original Berserk complaint. Turns out I was a single mission from unlocking Amalgamation, which permits me to stack +Stagger Resist to the moon via combining equippable items. I tried Zodd again right after I re-equipped myself, and Deathblow'd him three times in about forty-five seconds. :black101:

I'm probably going to need to turn the difficulty from Hard to Berserk soon, right?

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Somfin posted:

I'm very sorry to you for doing that oldpainless

I gratefully accept your apology.

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

QuietLion posted:

This is pretty much the standard Warriors progression, just keep ramping the diff up as you get better equipped to keep it spiced up.

QuietLion
Aug 16, 2011

Da realest Kirby

Yardbomb posted:

This is pretty much the standard Warriors progression, just keep ramping the diff up as you get better equipped to keep it spiced up.
Great, thank you for the heads up! :)
I'm really liking this style of game, I might need to investigate other similar ones. I know Hyrule Warriors is one, are there any other games (preferably on steam) that I should check out?

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

QuietLion posted:

I'm really liking this style of game, I might need to investigate other similar ones. I know Hyrule Warriors is one, are there any other games (preferably on steam) that I should check out?

Dragon Quest Heroes is on steam, and so are several of the Dynasty Warriors I think?

EGSunBro
Nov 1, 2012

PEPSI FOR TV-GAME
Pirate Warriors 3 is on steam and probably my favorite warriors. I've sort of fallen in love with one piece since, but I never cared for the franchise prior to playing it and loved the game. It has a massive cast and very character has a fleshed out and interesting move set. Plus dash cancels. It's really fun.

To stay on topic:

The thing dragging down pirate warriors is that it was made long enough ago that there's more cast members added to OP I really wish I could play and can't.
Also the stage where you get Ussop has been a real pain to complete the treasure events in.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Nuebot posted:

No, I usually just take my big sword in both hands and relentlessly pound his rear until he gives up and crouches down to cast his magic then he dies before the spell goes off. :shrug: Hex/miracle casters in 2 are entirely broken so those don't count. For me, my least favorite boss in 2 will always be old iron king because one misstep and you're just going to fall right into a stupid hole and die. Actual hardest fight for me is probably the spider, I'm pretty bad at fights that summon adds.

No, bosses start hitting harder and even with maxed daunt resist or whatever the initial problem is going to rear its head time and time again. The first zodd fight is the best of the giant monster battles. Amalgamate gets better though and later on you get some accessories with really good abilities that make your deathblow and frenzy charge faster, last longer and do more damage. But you seem to have the gist of it, always be frenzying.

That's funny, Velstadt can give me a hard time but I generally take out the spider no sweat. Different strokes I guess. (the actual easiest boss is Dragonrider though).

I think my least favorite boss is the royal rat vanguard because the entire fight boils down to having a way to take his minions out before he joins the fight. It's tough for some builds, but once you pull it off it takes about 3 seconds and then the rest of the fight is trivial and tedious. Totally optional though, so whatever.

Nuebot posted:

Dragon Quest Heroes is on steam, and so are several of the Dynasty Warriors I think?

I think I'm in the minority but I didn't care much for DQ Warriors. The enemies eventually become super damage spongy which I don't think works very well in a Musou game. It also put a lot of emphasis on grinding, which I guess is a nod to DQ. And the menu navigation was absolutely glacial.

If you want to jump into the franchise and see if you like it I'd just go with Dynasty Warriors 8 with the Xtreme Legends expansion. (unless you're a huge Zelda fan and own a Wii U or New 3DS). Huge amount of content and it feels very complete in ways that a lot of the spinoff titles don't.

The Moon Monster has a new favorite as of 03:19 on Mar 12, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Action Tortoise
Feb 18, 2012

A wolf howls.
I know how he feels.

QuietLion posted:

Dynasty Warriors are the basic type involving Chinese historical figures. Samurai Warriors are appropriately the Japanese variant but from the gameplay I've seen they require some more "strategy" than DW. And yeah there are some popular franchises that take well to the hack em up nature of the gameplay, like DW Gundam or Dragon Quest Heroes.