Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Hockles posted:

The Walleyes' PA guy is filling in here tonight.

Oh that's awesome

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hockles
Dec 25, 2007

Resident of Camp Blood
Crystal Lake

DJExile posted:

Oh that's awesome

Does he announce really fast? Because he did on Friday?

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

If it's Bellino, yeah he can be quick at times.

fits
Jan 1, 2008

Love Always,
The Captain
regina got annouced as the 2018 memorial cup host which is also the 100th anniversary of the first memmer

Stretch Marx
Apr 29, 2008

I'm ok with this.
Once again, the Saint John Sea Dogs are at the top of the Q. But we'll never get to host the Memorial Cup.

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

Beer Loses more than a game Sunday ...
We lost our Captain, our Teammate, our Friend Kelly Calabro...
Rest in Peace my friend you will be greatly missed..

Stretch Marx posted:

Once again, the Saint John Sea Dogs are at the top of the Q. But we'll never get to host the Memorial Cup.

How does Veleno look?

Stretch Marx
Apr 29, 2008

I'm ok with this.

Hand Knit posted:

How does Veleno look?

I haven't seen too many games this year but from what I've seen he's been pretty good. Checking out his stats and he seems to be pulling his weight. Saint John has always had good drafting so I'm sure he'll probably pan out like Hoffman and Huberdeau.

I'm kind of surprised that Highmore hasn't been drafted. He's been great for us the last few years.

Stretch Marx fucked around with this message at 04:48 on Feb 20, 2017

fits
Jan 1, 2008

Love Always,
The Captain
https://twitter.com/THWMark/status/833762955149864960

chicago :argh:

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

And he's got 17 games to go. He keeps up his pace, he'll finish with about 139 pts. Pretty sure Erie's gonna win the league.

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?
It's still loving insane that the US didn't take him on the WJ team, I mean they won but good lord.

yellowcar
Feb 14, 2010

And Montreal gives up two chances to draft him for loving Andrew Shaw.

Fire Bergevin.

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?
And speaking of adorable good midget hockey players, Denis Smirnov is up to 39 points in 28 games for #9 PSU in his +1 season. He's the kind of guy pretty much any NHL team should be taking a mid round flier on in the draft this year.

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

https://twitter.com/khl_eng/status/834284794229956609

A hug-off took place tonight in Moscow

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
Who's the best non-prospect guy in the world without NHL experience?

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

El Gallinero Gros posted:

Who's the best non-prospect guy in the world without NHL experience?

Craig Button from TSN just posted an article on the best players not in the NHL right now. One or two have a bit of experience, but for the most part they're all as yet untested. His top ten was:

1. Clayton Keller (ARI)
2. Alex Nylander (BUF)
3. Thomas Chabot (OTT)
4. Dylan Strome (ARI)
5. Kiril Kaprizov (MIN)
6. Jess Puljujarvi (EDM)
7. Kyle Connor (WPG)
8. Brock Boeser (VAN)
9. Charlie McAvoy (BOS)
10. Phillipe Myers (PHI)

http://www.tsn.ca/talent/who-are-the-best-players-not-skating-in-the-nhl-1.677389

From that list Chabot, Strome, Puljujarvi and Connor have had a cup of coffee in the NHL (just the one game for Chabot). I'm not 100% sold on those rankings (or the concept of rankings across positions in general), but it's a decent list.

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?
Kiril Kaprizov is going to be nasty.

Koopa Kid
Aug 21, 2007

The Marlies fired assistant coach Gord Dineen today, which is only weird in that they didn't just fire him when they hired Keefe over him last year. Can't remember the last time a head coach was demoted to assistant, sticking around for more than a year after is pretty odd too.

pseudodragon
Jun 16, 2007

Koopa Kid posted:

The Marlies fired assistant coach Gord Dineen today, which is only weird in that they didn't just fire him when they hired Keefe over him last year. Can't remember the last time a head coach was demoted to assistant, sticking around for more than a year after is pretty odd too.

My only takeaway from this Dubas interview is that Robidas has an actual job with the Marlies and isn't just cashing cheques.

Loqieu
Feb 27, 2001

The 2017 Asian Games are this week, which features both Men's and Women's ice hockey from many non-traditional hockey markets. It may not be the most prestigious tournament, however it's tough to beat an excuse to crack a beer and watch competitive hockey at 3am. You can stream the Men's and Women's top division games on their site: https://livestreaming.sapporo2017.org/schedule/english.html

Some story lines to follow are:

- How far have the South Korean men's team improved? They face the best in the world 1 year from now at the Olympics in South Korea, and have spent a lot of money and time on drastically improving their team. It was a big risk in electing to ice a team for next year's Olympics as the host nation, and they could easily be a national embarrassment. They played in a European tournament last fall with good results, and look to keep it going. However the dropped their first game to Kazakhstan last night 4-0.

- Will the Japanese women continue their dominance over the rest of Asia? They've had the best program in the women's division, and arguably the best women's goalie in the world on their team. They already beat South Korea in group play, and face China next. Unless those 2 countries can pull off an upset, it looks to be another gold for Japan. Also worth noting they destroyed Hong Kong 46-0 yesterday.

- My favorite thing to watch, the Philippines have iced a team in the Men's Division II. This is the first tournament competition they're playing, and they appear to be put together from the men's league that plays in Manila. The games in the lower division aren't streamed, but one of the coaches had the game on Facebook Live. They lost their first game yesterday to Kyrgyzstan 10-5 in a penalty ridden game. It was practically a parade to the penalty box the entire game for them. I think if they settle down for their next 2 group play games against Qatar and Kuwait they'll have a shot at making some noise in the knock out rounds.

Koopa Kid
Aug 21, 2007

I had no idea there was a men's league in Manila, or that there were rinks outside of the SM mall.

pseudodragon posted:

My only takeaway from this Dubas interview is that Robidas has an actual job with the Marlies and isn't just cashing cheques.

I do love how the NHL set a precedent for injured players to pull a completely separate pay check working another job and not retire or count against the cap. I'm sure this won't be abused when all the cap recapture contracts are coming due.

Loqieu
Feb 27, 2001

Asian Winter Games update.

There was a line brawl in the Philippines vs Kuwait game. The Philippines scored 4 goals in the second period to take the lead, 6-2. Early in the 3rd a hit caused a Kuwait player to lay bloodied on the ice. Once play resumed 3 Kuwaiti players went after the Philippines captain, and then a line brawl broke out. Took forever for the game to resume. After the dust settled there were 4 players ejected (2 from Kuwait, 2 from the Philippines), and 6 people in the box (3 from Kuwait, 3 from the Philippines). Some chippy penalties after that, otherwise it ended uneventful. With this win the Philippines now plays for Bronze on Sunday against Macau.

As for the other divisions, Japan faces China in the women's tournament for the gold tomorrow. Japan is the big favorite in this one.

The Men’s Top division is still wide open. If Kazakhstan gets at least to OT in their game vs Japan on Sunday, they’ll guarantee themselves gold. However if Japan defeats Kazakhstan they’ll almost guarantee a gold, that is unless South Korea can run the score up against China in their game, and then win the gold on goal differential.

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

https://twitter.com/rwesthead/status/836625843216596992

Loqieu
Feb 27, 2001

I do enjoy all the outraged replies to that tweet essentially saying it's a privilege to play a game at all, let alone being compensated. Although like many people point out, if they do get minimum wage they'll probably pay for it in the short term with less benefits elsewhere. However in the long run I see it helping players, similar to how free agency did in the NHL.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

https://twitter.com/OrlandoHockey/status/837690009666859008
:getin:

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Crowd brawlin' in the NBJHL!

Stretch Marx
Apr 29, 2008

I'm ok with this.

At least the Sea Dogs are good. 43 - 14 - 5 and probably going to curb stomp whoever they get in the first in the round like last year.

larkko
Oct 4, 2008

Former Sens draft pick Ben Blood :black101: rammed a guy with his rear end so hard that even the boards kinda buckled:

https://twitter.com/jukkaa37/status/839949025285648384/video/1

The Dirty Burger
Aug 24, 2007

1st team all star
+
2nd degree manslaughter
=
3rd world clothing line

Currently on a 17 game goal streak now, was there a reason he fell to the 2nd besides size? He scored 51 goals in his draft year

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

The Dirty Burger posted:

Currently on a 17 game goal streak now, was there a reason he fell to the 2nd besides size? He scored 51 goals in his draft year

100% size

To be fair he is very little.

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

Jordan7hm posted:

100% size

To be fair he is very little.

His style of play isn't at all that of a small perimeter guy where size starts to become an issue at the higher level. His game is 100% bum rushing the net or banging in pucks from three feet out. He might have a bit of a transition to the pros as the guys consistently get stronger, but he's so agile and shifty that he's never really had a problem slipping by some of the tougher/better guys in the OHL so far. There's a very good chance he'll be at least a consistent 20 goal guy in the NHL.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

ThinkTank posted:

His style of play isn't at all that of a small perimeter guy where size starts to become an issue at the higher level. His game is 100% bum rushing the net or banging in pucks from three feet out. He might have a bit of a transition to the pros as the guys consistently get stronger, but he's so agile and shifty that he's never really had a problem slipping by some of the tougher/better guys in the OHL so far. There's a very good chance he'll be at least a consistent 20 goal guy in the NHL.

Steve Sullivan 2.0, sounds like.

Stretch Marx
Apr 29, 2008

I'm ok with this.
Saint John apparently just power ranked themselves up to the top of the CHL. So that's cool.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

ThinkTank posted:

Yeah I'm not questioning his value. I would have taken him in the first round.

His size is 100% the reason he dropped though.

Infidel Castro
Jun 8, 2010

Again and again
Your face reminds me of a bleak future
Despite the absence of hope
I give you this sacrifice

MOTHERFUCKIN' TEDDY BEAR TOSS TIME!

Natty Ninefingers
Feb 17, 2011
Going on a big move from the east coast to Seattle and sadly leaving the AHL behind. What is major junior hockey like, generally?

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Infidel Castro posted:

MOTHERFUCKIN' TEDDY BEAR TOSS TIME!

Wish I were there instead of work :smith:

Stretch Marx
Apr 29, 2008

I'm ok with this.
Watched the Seadogs bounce Halifax tonight 5 - 3. Chabot had a ridiculous goal where D'Orio (our goalie) gave him a pass at the blue line and he just walked through 3 guys and put it perfectly over the shoulder of Gravel.

If SJ wins on Wednesday they clinch first overall.

Pungry
Feb 26, 2011

JUST PICK ONE. ANY ONE.

Natty Ninefingers posted:

Going on a big move from the east coast to Seattle and sadly leaving the AHL behind. What is major junior hockey like, generally?

We got the Thunderbirds who say they're from Seattle but play in Kent, like a half-hour from the city, and the Silvertips from Everett. Both teams play in the WHL and have been pretty good the past couple of years. Neither of them have ever won the Memorial Cup and likely won't, but there's always some cool prospects playing. And, in general, somebody from either team gets taken in the first round, so go check out the prospects. It's fun to watch but the level of play is below the AHL quality. Lots of icings, the neutral zone gets clogged, plenty of whistles, but still an enjoyable experience.

Stretch Marx
Apr 29, 2008

I'm ok with this.
SJ gunna win the President's and possibly also the Memorial Cup. Veleno also had a goal tonight with a really nice tip and was buzzing around pretty well, in case you were wondering Hand Knit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Infidel Castro
Jun 8, 2010

Again and again
Your face reminds me of a bleak future
Despite the absence of hope
I give you this sacrifice

Of course the one time I actually make it to a teddy bear toss game, the Admirals get shut out.

• Locked thread