Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
im on the net me boys
Feb 19, 2017

Hhhhhhhhhhhhhhhjjhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhjhhhhhhjhhhhhhhhhjjjhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh cannabis

Zyklon B Zombie posted:

Does listening to stuff on Discovery Weekly or Daily Mixes affect future content on these lists? At some point Spotify decided I liked 10 minute long shoegazey metal songs and I've been getting more and more of them every week.

I recall reading that listens in your Discover Weekly do not affect future ones. Can't say for Daily Mixes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

REALTHEWILL
Jul 21, 2016
Been listening to the Air radio on Spotify. Its super sick, if you don't know Air check them out they're awesome. Also like the Justice radio they have on there, lots of French electronic music which I love.

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta
Ugh. I just A/B tested the same song, pirated vs spotify and it sounds waaaaay better in Winamp. Richer, fuller, clearer etc. The low end is about the same but the highs are waaaay less defined. It's not even subtle.

I paid $12 for the Equalify plugin and I simply can't get it to put out the same sound regardless of what I do with it. Spotify is just a lot more muffled in comparison. It's really notable side-by-side with the exact same song in Winamp (Full Bass=Treble eq preset). I have high quality mode turned on so I'm not sure what else I can do. It's really disappointing hearing it side-by-side with Winamp.

revmoo fucked around with this message at 08:41 on Mar 11, 2017

im on the net me boys
Feb 19, 2017

Hhhhhhhhhhhhhhhjjhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhjhhhhhhjhhhhhhhhhjjjhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh cannabis
I wish you could upload your own music collection to Spotify like with Google Play Music.

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Omich poluyobok, skazhi ty narkoman? ya prosto tozhe gde to tam zhivu, mogli by vmeste uyobyvat' narkotiki

whomupclicklike posted:

I wish you could upload your own music collection to Spotify like with Google Play Music.

You can! Spotify has a wonderful local files feature, and it will even sync those files to a single mobile device at a time! If you're ever trying to listen from another desktop client, gently caress you you can't listen to that poo poo.

Also sometimes it will randomly confuse local versions of tracks with the same name with the Spotify version, so you'll be in the middle of an album and suddenly it will start playing the live version of some track that you have stored locally.

If Google Music didn't have such a terrible interface and didn't have stupid restrictions about downloading uploaded tracks more than 3 times without using their own stupid download tool (because somehow this uh... prevents further piracy of tracks that were probably pirated in the first place) I'd switch.

Seriously Spotify plz improve this functionality. Storage is cheap.

im on the net me boys
Feb 19, 2017

anatoliy pltkrvkay posted:

You can! Spotify has a wonderful local files feature, and it will even sync those files to a single mobile device at a time! If you're ever trying to listen from another desktop client, gently caress you you can't listen to that poo poo.

Also sometimes it will randomly confuse local versions of tracks with the same name with the Spotify version, so you'll be in the middle of an album and suddenly it will start playing the live version of some track that you have stored locally.

If Google Music didn't have such a terrible interface and didn't have stupid restrictions about downloading uploaded tracks more than 3 times without using their own stupid download tool (because somehow this uh... prevents further piracy of tracks that were probably pirated in the first place) I'd switch.

Seriously Spotify plz improve this functionality. Storage is cheap.

Oh my god thank you

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

I have to admit; if Youtube Red came over to Canada, and included a Google Music plan like it does in the U.S., I'd be signed up. I wouldn't pay full price just for YTR, but that package deal is hard to say no to.

It's me; I'm the weirdo who's pulling for Youtube Red to be good :ohdear:

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

God I need to find a way to sort my music into playlists of some sort. I really wish there was an easy way to auto-sort into genre or some such.

The Modern Leper
Dec 25, 2008

You must be a masochist

double nine posted:

God I need to find a way to sort my music into playlists of some sort. I really wish there was an easy way to auto-sort into genre or some such.

One of the biggest reasons I can't let go of iTunes/Apple Music. That, the ability to edit tags (which Spotify used to have), and better integration of local files (related to the tag issue). I'm very very lazy, and smart playlists means that I don't have to worry about adding or removing songs if my rating changes or if time goes by or anything.

Shy
Mar 20, 2010

How's Deezer? I've been using Spotify earlier but it doesn't officially work in Ukraine so it's too much trouble, Deezer genuinely surprised not only because it works in many countries worldwide but also because I don't think I've ever heard about it before accidentally seeing a link on some publisher's website, I wonder why.

Cerepol
Dec 2, 2011

When wikipedia says limited skips how does that work? If you start a song you have to finish it, or like it auto decides what to play for you?

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

I think the only reason I've heard of Deezer is because T-Mobile over here pushes it pretty hard. Never bothered with a trial tho.

Cerepol posted:

When wikipedia says limited skips how does that work? If you start a song you have to finish it, or like it auto decides what to play for you?

If you hit the hourly limit, you have to finish songs.

Weedle
May 31, 2006

I tried a Deezer trial a while back, it seems "fine" but their catalog had a few more holes in it than Spotify's.

Junkenstein
Oct 22, 2003

I had Deezer free with my phone for a couple of years and it was decent enough. When I lost that bonus and it was a choice between it and Spotify at the same price, Spotify won out, but its, yeah, fine. No download limit is one thing it has over Spotify that comes to mind.

Red_Fred
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib
Has anyone had an normalisation issues with Spotify on iOS? I've recently moved from Android and never had an issue but now I find that certain tracks and albums are significantly louder than others even with normalisation on.

Feb 24, 2006

#worldchamps
I dunno how the Spotify local file management is still so broken. Thankfully, I tricked it into working for me with a way too ADD system of playlists I keep. But, I shouldn't have to do that.

Weedle
May 31, 2006

Red_Fred posted:

Has anyone had an normalisation issues with Spotify on iOS? I've recently moved from Android and never had an issue but now I find that certain tracks and albums are significantly louder than others even with normalisation on.

It's definitely hit-and-miss; I've noticed some tracks differ more from each other in volume with normalization on than they do with it off.

Junkenstein
Oct 22, 2003

Twice over the last two weeks the Android app has deleted all my downloaded albums, but kept my downloaded playlists. They're still cached, so if I redownload an album, it'll appear instantly.

Anyone else had this? Don't suppose there's a way to 'refresh' and get everything that's cached?

Megasabin
Sep 9, 2003

I get half!!
Just signed up for Spotify a few days ago. Ideally I'd like to use Spotify similar to how I use Pandora-- to find new music. However when on the desktop app for Spotify I am having one issue with Radio Stations.

When I go to a playlist I right click and go to "Listen to Playlist Radio". This generates a radios station based on that playlist, where it will then allow me to thumbs up and thumbs down new songs. This is great and all, but it only loads 11 songs at a time, and when it gets to the end of those 11 songs, it stops. There doesn't seem to be anyway to refresh it or make it acquire different songs, short of restarting the entire program. It even says "More Songs load as you listen", but this is not what is happening.

How do I get it to keep generating new songs?

Kevyn
Mar 5, 2003

I just want to smile. Just once. I'd like to just, one time, go to Disney World and smile like the other boys and girls.
What's with the missing tracks on Nirvana's Incesticide? They used to be there.

I want my Big Long Now, you fucks.

crazystray
Aug 7, 2005
Grow or die.
Hey dudes, wanted to post a couple of things:

Speaking of Deezer, if you want to check it out I recommend http://spotizr.com/ That site will convert about 90-95% of your Spotify songs into Deezer songs, even keeping playlist structure. It's also neat in that it will even move the songs it doesn't have access to and grey them out so you know what you are missing. I like Deezer but I have some special playlists on Spotify that keep me going back.

For Spotify fun, one of my favorite functionalities is the Shazam playlist. If you connect Spotify to Shazam it adds every song you Shazam into a new playlist, Shazam is my favorite way to find new music when I travel and it's a blast to come home and listen to that playlist.

Lastly, here is an old Spotify playlist that's great for new music: https://open.spotify.com/user/monoceres/playlist/6qZnImkqxbRtL9FiwqHkGK It's a playlist based off of the listentothis subreddit and is constantly updated with a really eclectic mix, great for discovering music outside of your preferred genre's.

Sorry if any of this info is redundant, just found this thread and have been using Spotify for a while now.

Incessant Excess
Aug 15, 2005

Cause of glitch:
Pretentiousness

crazystray posted:

Lastly, here is an old Spotify playlist that's great for new music: https://open.spotify.com/user/monoceres/playlist/6qZnImkqxbRtL9FiwqHkGK It's a playlist based off of the listentothis subreddit and is constantly updated with a really eclectic mix, great for discovering music outside of your preferred genre's.

I tried this playlist and it's a pretty fun mix to listen to. Thanks for the tip!

Oenis
Mar 15, 2012

Zyklon B Zombie posted:

Does listening to stuff on Discovery Weekly or Daily Mixes affect future content on these lists? At some point Spotify decided I liked 10 minute long shoegazey metal songs and I've been getting more and more of them every week.

This is from a while ago but long shoegazey metal songs are totally my jam, so even though you sound like they might not really be yours maybe let's be friends and let me check out your discover playlists?

ALFbrot
Apr 17, 2002
Did Spotify change something in how Discover lists are generated this week? After months of repeated songs and Spotify insisting that I would love white boys rapping about steampunk and every single identical faux-80s synthy poser, this week my list is full of absolute gems and songs that I've loved for years but haven't listened to in forever. Same with my wife's list. Everything is fresh and far more relevant to what we actually like.

me your dad
Jul 25, 2006

ALFbrot posted:

Did Spotify change something in how Discover lists are generated this week? After months of repeated songs and Spotify insisting that I would love white boys rapping about steampunk and every single identical faux-80s synthy poser, this week my list is full of absolute gems and songs that I've loved for years but haven't listened to in forever. Same with my wife's list. Everything is fresh and far more relevant to what we actually like.

Mine is still pretty much along the lines of what I usually get but there were a couple oddballs in there this week. I normally listen to varieties of rock music, but this week I got a Duke Ellington track and one from Sun Ra. I like jazz but I really don't listen to it anymore, especially on Spotify.

Overall I would call this week's list a disappointment for me. Usually I find at least one or two tracks to add to my playlist but nothing from this week has caught my fancy.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

Right now I'm listening to nothing but metal for a playlist I'm making. It has been interesting seeing the Discover playlists adapt to this change in listening habits. Week 1 was close to the usual, week 2 had a lot of post-rock, week 3 went with sludge and week 4 (now) is a varied metal pack.

Yet I've never seen any K-Pop show up on my Discovery list after a 2 week period where I was listening to a lot of that. I guess it looks at your all-time listening habits and ignores those short trends.

Mierenneuker fucked around with this message at 17:06 on Sep 14, 2017

me your dad
Jul 25, 2006

Mierenneuker posted:

I guess it looks at your all-time listening habits and ignores those short trends.

Which is loving good because I have kids and every once in a while my account plays bursts of the Trolls soundtrack and Katy Perry. This is in stark contrast to Netflix and Youtube which immediately display 100 kid's shows as soon as a single episode of Sparkle Glitter Dream Rainbow Fairy Girls is watched.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no
Kind of surprised no one mentioned that student Spotify accounts now include a base Hulu sub for no extra cost.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

ALFbrot posted:

mine's still the same stuff it always gives me, repeats included. it loves recommending me music that it's already recommended before and that I've already got in a playlist

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

WithoutTheFezOn posted:

Kind of surprised no one mentioned that student Spotify accounts now include a base Hulu sub for no extra cost.

Man, I wish this poo poo was available for Canada, too. Like, I would have already signed up for Google Music + Youtube Red, except that it's not available here. :negative: :canada:

me your dad
Jul 25, 2006

Huge props to Spotify Customer Service. I accidentally removed about 4,700 songs from the playlist I've been hoarding for about five years now. Within fifteen minutes I was chatting with Spotify support and they restored the entire playlist. I would have been down in the loving dumps if I lost all of that music. Made me realize I should duplicate it or back it up in a file.

Oct 15, 2012

Vault Dweller
Yeah Spotify are pretty good about that stuff. I had a similar issue and they were really fast and helpful

Junkenstein
Oct 22, 2003

If only they were as good at actually fixing bugs and listening to their customers.

Finally switched to Apple Music after getting sick of the Android app just randomly deleting all my downloaded music, and the stupid 10,000 song limit on your Library. Spent a fair few hours moving my library across, and most of my playlist listening will be through Spotify Free for now, but so far so good. Pros and cons, obviously, just like Spotify and Deezer before.

It's annoying, 'cos Spotify wins in pretty much every category for me, it's just that it's the only one that has game changing drawbacks (that don't even need to exist!).

horchata
Oct 17, 2010
This is a weird question but I can't seem to find a way to do it. It's my first time using Spotify (ever) and was wondering if there was a way to shuffle ALL the songs from all the artists I follow?

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

horchata posted:

This is a weird question but I can't seem to find a way to do it. It's my first time using Spotify (ever) and was wondering if there was a way to shuffle ALL the songs from all the artists I follow?

I'm pretty sure you can go to your library, and then go to 'songs', then hit the shuffle button. Unless they need to be in playlists for that?

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

just following an artist doesn't add their entire discography to your library or anything, so you'd have to manually add them for that to work. that's as simple as hitting save on all of the albums but it might take a while. you could do that same with with a playlist but adding everything would get tedious and they do cap out at 10k songs (which is generous but something to keep in mind)

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

So, I made a silly joke on a Father Ted facebook group about wanting Icey-T and Scoopy Scoopy Dog Dog on Spotify. One of the members is a part of @SpotifyCares, and made me this (if you're not a Father Ted fan, you won't get it)

:allears:

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
Wow I guess billy corgan wasn’t kidding about the “don’t call me billy!” poo poo

Sorry but the smashing pumpkins thread auto archived

Kevyn
Mar 5, 2003

I just want to smile. Just once. I'd like to just, one time, go to Disney World and smile like the other boys and girls.
Billy Corgan Mellencamp

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Peggotty
May 9, 2014

"Billy" sounds too much like a normal, friendly person anyway.

• Locked thread