Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zinkraptor
Apr 24, 2012

scarycave posted:

How hard would you say the game is? I've been thinking about getting it since I loved the first nier, but from what I've seen it looks a lot more bullet hellish and I worry I might not be able to finish it.

I haven't gotten very far(not much time to play) but, though there are some pure top-down shooter parts, they're pretty easy and not bullet hell. Sometimes the ground combat gets bullet helly but most of the difficulty comes from the standard platinum hack and slash stuff.

There's an easy mode that basically plays the game for you, though, so that might help.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
One thing that I liked about the original Nier was the sense that Nier himself was the final problem causing the world to get worse. Certainly the desert city Facade was way too far gone as the humans had been fighting the wolves for so long they'd forgotten what initially triggered it (The loss of the forest and it turning into desert over generations of people not giving a poo poo, resulting in the wolves getting pissed at the humans and oops... Big Problem) and while the rest of the world was still going to die it may have at least bought itself a few more years (The Aerie making peace with the shades of their former friends and families and opening themselves to the world could have been the start of something, had Nier not panicked and killed literally everyone)

Screaming Idiot
Nov 26, 2007

JUST POSTING WHILE JERKIN' MY GHERKIN SITTIN' IN A PERKINS!

BEATS SELLING MERKINS.

BioEnchanted posted:

One thing that I liked about the original Nier was the sense that Nier himself was the final problem causing the world to get worse. Certainly the desert city Facade was way too far gone as the humans had been fighting the wolves for so long they'd forgotten what initially triggered it (The loss of the forest and it turning into desert over generations of people not giving a poo poo, resulting in the wolves getting pissed at the humans and oops... Big Problem) and while the rest of the world was still going to die it may have at least bought itself a few more years (The Aerie making peace with the shades of their former friends and families and opening themselves to the world could have been the start of something, had Nier not panicked and killed literally everyone)

The shades are the ones who panicked. If they'd kept their shadiness to themselves and just smiled and nodded when 'roided out Gary Busey said "I'MMA KILL ALL DEM SHADES" there would still be an Aerie and Emil wouldn't be having nightmares. Or rather, he would, but not quite as many.

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

Taking the term "Koopaling" to a whole new level since 2016.

Iron Crowned posted:

Time to reinstall Shadow of Mordor to get ready, if only I wasn't at work now so I could play it when I get home :(

With the Steam app, you can do that!

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

A vase to face encounter.

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

Will this one's nemesis system actually work at all without you deliberately crippling yourself?

Sininu
Jan 8, 2014

Leavemywife posted:

With the Steam app, you can do that!

You can also do it from web browser.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

AlphaKretin posted:

Will this one's nemesis system actually work at all without you deliberately crippling yourself?

Based on how you've got your own army now there might be less focus on you having personal nemeses.

Your Gay Uncle
Feb 16, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

BioEnchanted posted:

I don't know how far you got into the New Game + but Nier has possibly the greatest NG+ ever. You go threw4 or 5 New Games until finally Nier comes to the conclusion that the only way to save Yuna was to remove himself entirely from the timeline, then the game completely erases all your game saves and game data. Blew my loving mind.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Not only that, it also keeps you from ever using the same name if you start a new game.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.

Your Gay Uncle posted:

I don't know how far you got into the New Game + but Nier has possibly the greatest NG+ ever. You go threw4 or 5 New Games until finally Nier comes to the conclusion that the only way to save Yuna was to remove himself entirely from the timeline, then the game completely erases all your game saves and game data. Blew my loving mind.

I got to the final ending, don't worry. Loved the way it was presented, You see the questlog thing pop up as each page is slowly erased, only to flip to the next one. It's rubbing salt in the wound so well. I also love Shadow!Yonah refusing Yonah's body and ejecting herself because she noticed that there was already someone else now in there. She hadn't lived in that house for too long, and she liked the squatter who moved in so mumch she transferred the lease to her permanently :3:

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

BioEnchanted posted:

Nier was a pretty good final solution to every problem though. Wolves bothering you? Not anymore there aren't. Robots? Got 'em boss. Shades? We'll just go kill the head honcho and doom the remnants of humanity to a slow decline since without the shadow lord the surviving shadows will eventually all go feral and without devola and popola we can't make any more replicants or maintain the ones we have. But hey, no more shades!

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

RareAcumen posted:

I'm blown away by the NPCs.

There's actually three questions she can ask the class, and Risa has the best answers to all of them :allears:.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters
It blows my mind that I've been playing BotW for like 20 hours and have yet to even enter a hot area yet. Or even, like, any western part of the map.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Neddy Seagoon posted:

There's actually three questions she can ask the class, and Risa has the best answers to all of them :allears:.

Yeah, but that one conversation already took a lot of pictures and I don't wanna bloat out the thread more.

Sininu
Jan 8, 2014

RareAcumen posted:

Yeah, but that one conversation already took a lot of pictures and I don't wanna bloat out the thread more.

Make a video!

TontoCorazon
Aug 18, 2007

Or just post it.

Feonir
Mar 30, 2011

Ask me about aquatic cocaine transportation and by-standard management.
Or make an Imgur gallery and just a single link to said gallery will do too, what I am saying is we need more sassy Gerudo conversation.

Novum
May 26, 2012

That's how we roll
In the new zelda when you wear a monster hat Link does monster poses instead of his normal idle animation. Game real good

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

SinineSiil posted:

Make a video!

I don't have the game, any recording software or a Switch.

TontoCorazon posted:

Or just post it.

Well, if you insist.

TontoCorazon
Aug 18, 2007

Risa is awesome

Metroid Fitzgerald
Feb 13, 2012

B O O O O B S . . . !

To add to the BotW talk:

Weaponized cuccos

https://gfycat.com/BestFrequentHyracotherium

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

RareAcumen posted:

I don't have the game, any recording software or a Switch.

Well, if you insist.

I wish there was a "why aren't you helping, Risa one.

But actually all three are legit thugs to consider in prehospital care, so that's really loving cool.

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow
If you've played Night In The Woods, and don't live in the Pittsburgh area, you might think "pierogiburger" is a fun joke food the game made up

Let me tell you: It is not

QuietLion
Aug 16, 2011

Da realest Kirby
Berserk and the Band of the Hawk is my first Dynasty Warriors-esque game and I am loving it! One detail I really appreciate is how tightly the horses control. After having Roach careen off straight paths in the Witcher 3 and having horses turn like boats in a number of other games, I appreciate a break from "real" horse physics with my warhorse. Its controls are very tight but not overly touchy, so you can do mounted combat just fine if that's your thing.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

QuietLion posted:

Berserk and the Band of the Hawk is my first Dynasty Warriors-esque game and I am loving it! One detail I really appreciate is how tightly the horses control. After having Roach careen off straight paths in the Witcher 3 and having horses turn like boats in a number of other games, I appreciate a break from "real" horse physics with my warhorse. Its controls are very tight but not overly touchy, so you can do mounted combat just fine if that's your thing.

On the other hand, fighting dudes on horseback is really awful. I just finished the story of the game though and it's mostly fun the whole way through. Easily my favorite warriors type game since it does away with the single thing that every one I've played has; timelimits. I don't know why, maybe it's just bad game choice? But every one of the warriors games I've played before just put a big ol' time limit on the stage and I hate time limits even if I'm in no danger of losing by time out.

The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

Dead weight, just like this post.

Every Dynasty Warriors has a time limit on the level but it's really only there to stop you from infinitely farming kills. It gives you an hour to complete any given level which is more time than you will ever need.

Now unless you're playing Hyrule Warriors and trying to go for A ranks, that's when i can see where you're coming from.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

Petit Gregory posted:

To add to the BotW talk:

Weaponized cuccos

https://gfycat.com/BestFrequentHyracotherium

Just beautiful :allears:

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

Oh, my god. Has anyone seen the intro to Wildlands? It is so unbelievably retarded, it must either be a masterpiece or madness. It honestly seems like it was cooked up by someone with a grudge against the nation of Bolivia, and everybody should see it on youtube. I hope this link works, I'm phoneposting. https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=dvzv8BAFB24

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!

Biplane posted:

Oh, my god. Has anyone seen the intro to Wildlands? It is so unbelievably retarded, it must either be a masterpiece or madness. It honestly seems like it was cooked up by someone with a grudge against the nation of Bolivia, and everybody should see it on youtube. I hope this link works, I'm phoneposting. https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=dvzv8BAFB24

quote:

Bolivian officials weren’t exactly thrilled with how their country was portrayed in Wildlands. Interior Minister Carlos Romero said Wednesday his country sent a letter to the French ambassador in La Paz lodging a formal complaint and reportedly asking the government to intervene, though it’s not clear how. “We have the standing to do it [take legal action], but at first we prefer to go the route of diplomatic negotiation,” Romero said.

Ubisoft defended their decision, saying it was a “work of fiction” in a statement sent to Reuters. “While the game’s premise imagines a different reality than the one that exists in Bolivia today, we do hope that the in-game world comes close to representing the country’s beautiful topography,” Ubisoft said. Ubisoft did not immediately respond to Foreign Policy’s request for comment.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

Biplane posted:

A Clancy writer with a prejudice against Latin Americans?

Surely you're not serious!

Ashsaber
Oct 24, 2010

Deploying Swordbreakers!
College Slice
Speaking of Tom Clancy style stuff, I've probably posted it here at some point before, but I still kind of love Act of War's absolutely out of place :freep: view of the US army. Not only is the game about going to war with Russian terrorists to stop an international conspiracy from cutting off all the oil that totally exists but is being held back (we totally swear guys) because they can blame peak oil for shortages, but the US army is balanced as the inflexible but strong guys, which is ridiculous based on unit choices.

The Terrorists start with cheap Russian crap, but when teched up they get Railguns as base defenses, reactors that can generate forcefields, soldiers, APCs and heavy unmanned railgun tanks that use Metal Gear style Optical Camo at all times, and their super weapon is dropping satellites from orbit on their enemies (possibly loaded with Ebola). The experimental task force from the US has a lot of neat things, like a simple gun turret that can be upgraded to have an AA missile launcher and tank cannon for base defense, Exo-suited infantry that run faster than most tanks, drone tanks that can quickly switch between three different functions and can become stealthy, and they use microwaves to instantly patch up their people anywhere in the field.

Contrast the US Army's equivalents: their defenses are an AA/anti-tank missile system and a loving sandbag shelter for their infantry. Their best tank is a regular old Abrams. Their basic infantry is marines and their super soldiers, meant to be equal to invisible dudes and guys wearing half a tank and doing sweet tricks with their chaingun/missile weapon swap function, are Delta Force soldiers (who actually are tough, but probably not taking out MGS boss gimmicks tough).

It doesn't feel like parody either, so the entire game feels like an RTS of something like Team America, World Police. The earnestness makes it really cheesy, enough so that I still like it to a degree despite being a really stupid game.

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

gotta love Ubisoft's response. "Sorry about depicting you as an insane kleptocratic narcostate but at least we showed your pretty mountains"

Nostradingus
Jul 13, 2009

I finally got around to Shadow of Mordor and my nemesis is a guy I've never even killed. Poor dude keeps getting wrecked by caragors and I just stand by and watch.

Tumble
Jun 24, 2003
I'm not thinking of anything!
While I'm sure the new Wildlands story is pant-on-head silly, it's still dumb for a country to have beef with how they're portrayed in a fictional action game. Nobody seems to take issue with GTA V being set in a bonkers-crazy USA stereotype. Granted that has clever writing and satire, but still. Plus, Bolivia does have a shitload of cocaine; there are literally pop-up cocaine bars the way US cities have pop-up restaurants and taco stands: https://www.vice.com/en_uk/article/this-is-what-bolivias-legendary-cocaine-bar-is-actually-like-903

On-topic in Breath of the Wild: I'm no longer worried during lightning storms; instead I look around for bigger groups of bad guys, wait for my sword to start sparking, and toss it either into the group, or into some exploding barrels.

Tumble has a new favorite as of 19:02 on Mar 12, 2017

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Tumble posted:

Nobody seems to take issue with GTA V being set in a bonkers-crazy USA stereotype.
Yeah but I suspect that's less because people are so chill about it than because they don't realize it's supposed to be satirical.

... the next GTA is gonna be something, isn't it.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
I don't think anyone complained that The Saboteur took place in nazi occupied Paris. Although maybe that's why? Whatever, a little thing about that game was climbing up the Eiffel tower and jumping off into the pool of water next to it. Netted you a cheevo on consoles.

Where's The Saboteur 2? :(

Tumble
Jun 24, 2003
I'm not thinking of anything!

My Lovely Horse posted:

Yeah but I suspect that's less because people are so chill about it than because they don't realize it's supposed to be satirical.

... the next GTA is gonna be something, isn't it.

They should set the next GTA in the near-future during a huge economic downturn.

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

Tumble posted:

While I'm sure the new Wildlands story is pant-on-head silly, it's still dumb for a country to have beef with how they're portrayed in a fictional action game. Nobody seems to take issue with GTA V being set in a bonkers-crazy USA stereotype. Granted that has clever writing and satire, but still. Plus, Bolivia does have a shitload of cocaine; there are literally pop-up cocaine bars the way US cities have pop-up restaurants and taco stands: https://www.vice.com/en_uk/article/this-is-what-bolivias-legendary-cocaine-bar-is-actually-like-903

On-topic in Breath of the Wild: I'm no longer worried during lightning storms; instead I look around for bigger groups of bad guys, wait for my sword to start sparking, and toss it either into the group, or into some exploding barrels.

I recall hearing Castro was pretty annoyed with how he was depicted in Black Ops 2 up until someone showed him the zombie mode where you get to play as him fighting alongside JFK, Nixon, and McNamara.

So Wildlands probably needs a zombie horde mode is what I'm saying.

Action Tortoise
Feb 18, 2012

A wolf howls.
I know how he feels.

Jobbo_Fett posted:

Where's The Saboteur 2? :(

I'm p sure the company got scuttled after releasing it. It's the same boys who did the mercs series.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer

Tumble posted:

They should set the next GTA in the near-future during a huge economic downturn.

Go back to Vice City, add in all the really seedy parts of the state, and make Florida Man: The Video Game.